Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PhilippAchtel posted:

I read that Massa performed a pied piper strategy elevating and legitimizing Milei, which if true lol lmao

Imagine taking election tips from Hillary 2016

It's the kind of strategy that can only be devised by someone with zero charisma or the ability to recognize charisma. "Yeah put the insane ranting guy with experience doing insane rants to people on stage, it will make me (the person who's hosed everything up and is visibly uncomfortable being around poors) look really good and presidential"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Convergent evolution. Hillary is the crab of succ politics

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Markets Cheer as Milei Drops Dollarization for Macri Brass

Milei's jettisoned dollarization and closing the central bank. Looks like he'll appoint Wall Streeters from former president Mauricio Macri's administration instead of his libertarian buddies.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1728096533906665566

Bueno... :getin:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

OhFunny posted:

Markets Cheer as Milei Drops Dollarization for Macri Brass

Milei's jettisoned dollarization and closing the central bank. Looks like he'll appoint Wall Streeters from former president Mauricio Macri's administration instead of his libertarian buddies.

lmao

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
so which of these is true the news article from bloomberg or the tweet from the nft imbecile

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

so which of these is true the news article from bloomberg or the tweet from the nft imbecile

yes

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
thank you

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I'm not even sure having an independent central bank is better than having no central bank at all tbh.

Central banks ought to be under government control.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lmao

https://twitter.com/JMilei/status/1727496060124246103

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

I'm not even sure having an independent central bank is better than having no central bank at all tbh.

Central banks ought to be under government control.

Arguably they should, although having your own currency is a nice thing to have. It is going to be funny if while Milei is actively burning rest of the economy down, that Argentina is still going to be part of BRICS and expanding trade with China.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:xickos:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Megamissen posted:

why did they run him?

why did they run Biden?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

what does it say?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

why did they run Biden?

in 2020 because all the younger non-bernie candidates failed to get going
in 2024... probably because he wants to and no one is in a position to tell him no

my best (blind) guess for running massa would be that any candidate would get tarnished by the economy but he already is so he was the only one who had the standing and is willing to run

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Megamissen posted:

what does it say?

Bog standard diplomatic congratulatory letter tbh

:xickos: posted:

Esteemed Mr. Javier Milei,

Upon learning of your election as president of the Argentine Republic, I would like to, in name of the Chinese government and people as well as my own, express sincere congratulations and best wishes.

China and Argentina are both great developing countries and important emerging markets. Both countries always adhere to mutual respect, treatment as equals, mutual gain and joint success, and support each other mutually in issues regarding our respective vital interests. Practical cooperation in diverse areas brings tangible benefits to both peoples. Profound friendship and constant promotion of Sino-Argentine ties has become general consensus in diverse sectors of both societies.

I place high importance in the development of the Sino-Argentine link, and I am willing to work with you to continue the friendship between both countries, promoting development and revitalization of both countries via cooperation on shared gains, and boosting the stable development of Sino-Argentine relationships to the benefit of both peoples.

I wish that under your leadership, the government and people of your country conquer new successes for the cause of nation building.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
caught up on what happened in the brazil-argentina football wc qualifier, goddamn Brazilian cops. Aren't they basically paramilitaries since the junta and their structure/personnel never really changed? I do not understand why PT or left wing governments in general let these guys exist as a bastion of armed right wing reaction instead of ripping up their power structures and putting their own people in place

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

caught up on what happened in the brazil-argentina football wc qualifier, goddamn Brazilian cops. Aren't they basically paramilitaries since the junta and their structure/personnel never really changed? I do not understand why PT or left wing governments in general let these guys exist as a bastion of armed right wing reaction instead of ripping up their power structures and putting their own people in place

what if some of us, not me but some of us, are not caught up

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mila kunis posted:

Because they are armed and dangerous and very entrenched as an institution.

Calls to dismantle or reforms the PM are not rare in activist spaces here in Brazil, but actual politicians have to worry about their entire family being tortured and murdered.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Milei is in new york and Washington DC today to meet with IMF and biden administration officials. Rip Argentina

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Milei has announced his conversion to Judaism

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

brugroffil posted:

Milei has announced his conversion to Judaism

I would love to know the backstory of how Chabad to got to him.... They are sick weirdos tbh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
https://jacobin.com/2023/11/honduras-international-law-isds-thiel-prospera-free-market-neocolonialism

The weird libertarian colonizing project in Honduras is trying to sue the government.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

Milei is in new york and Washington DC today to meet with IMF and biden administration officials. Rip Argentina

don't cry for milei, argentina
the truth is, he's already sold you

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If Milei can get in the good side of Biden, we can easily say he is smarter and less crazy than Bolsonaro

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

biden'll be gone in less than a year though?.?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

double nine posted:

biden'll be gone in less than a year though?.?

We dont know that but anyway I was thinking of Bolsonaro tying himself to Trump so tightly it was impossible for him to have good relations with the USA after Trump lost.

Bolsonaro was in fact completely unable to have even superficially friendly relations with leaders outside the far-right and thus soon became isolated, which was an important part on why he was unable to land his coup

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elias_Maluco posted:

We dont know that but anyway I was thinking of Bolsonaro tying himself to Trump so tightly it was impossible for him to have good relations with the USA after Trump lost.

Bolsonaro was in fact completely unable to have even superficially friendly relations with leaders outside the far-right and thus soon became isolated, which was an important part on why he was unable to land his coup

Especially funny given trying to ingratiate yourself to Trump is completely pointless. Similar to his likely half-brother Vince McMahon, they have no concept of loyalty and will gently caress over anyone nearby for any reason, to use as a scapegoat or just because they're bored.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Especially funny given trying to ingratiate yourself to Trump is completely pointless. Similar to his likely half-brother Vince McMahon, they have no concept of loyalty and will gently caress over anyone nearby for any reason, to use as a scapegoat or just because they're bored.

i dunno just buttering him up worked for abe and mbs

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
"Just" buttering him up? MBS had to let him get his fat greasy fingers all over the orb!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it was funny because Trump seemed to barely acknowledge Bolsonaro's existence. I dont think he ever thought about Brazil for more than 5 minutes at a time. There was Jair wagging his tail to the orange man all the time and would barely trow him a bone.

That up until he lost the election and than Bolsonaro and his family finally got some of his attention by supporting his election fraud claims.. which in turn made 100% impossible for him to have good relations with Biden later on

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Nov 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

babypolis posted:

That's the thing though, you have to also recognisably have and exercise power, that's all a narcissist respects. Making yourself in any way reliant on them is making yourself just another piece of expendable chaff.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
Milei is terribly conditioned by former president Macri's businesses and legal pressures. He needs to yield to whatever he says or his political construct will crumble.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I know that the most likely actual explanation for milei’s win is that inflation is out of control and Massa is held responsible, but part of me wonders whether Capital explicitly chose to elevate the craziest right wing crank imaginable so he can take the blame for the catastrophe of dollarization/privatization. once done those things are incredibly difficult to undo even if people generally agree that they were mistakes, and having a clown in charge makes it easier to pin all the blame on him, ditch him and move forward with a neoliberalized economy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

babypolis posted:

lol even worked for kim jong un

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
can someone explain the venezuela referendum the other thread is going on about? do they really want to invade Guyana?

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Nov 30, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

can someone explain the venezuela referendum the other thread is going on about? do they really want to invade Guyana?

No they want to have direct negotiations of the disputed territory with Guyana mediated by the UN, rather than have the ICJ simply rule on its status. Guyana wants the opposite.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
abe is loving dead and mbs has money to throw at all sides. including direct contributions through mar a lago memberships

trump is always a few brainwaves away from praising hamas for owning netenyahu so badly, all because netenyahu couldnt help trump with the stolen election claims

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Trump only respects aesthetics as bombastic as his own. The moment Guaido had to show up in person to meet Trump was the moment the Venezuela coup died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

seems bad

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1730648434527662472

petro seems cool tho

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1730634137667768619