Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm trying to figure out bluetooth audio simultaneous in/out on Windows. When my wife was trying to use bt earbuds with built in mic to chat with people on discord while watching a movie the audio goes all terrible once she says anything. It seems like it switches the audio output to some crappy mono thing when chatting. I can find a decade of random posts about this issue and I can't tell if this is just how it goes with bt or its a limitation of the earbuds and/or bt receiver not supporting a fancier protocol.

Does she need to upgrade those (adapter or ear buds) or should she pick up a bt lapel mic to work around the issue? She hates headsets/big headphones which often have dongles so trying to figure out an earbud friendly setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

qirex posted:

Honestly I think it captured so much attention in part because of the sweet animated spectrum graph on the display. A lot of people shopping for that kind of thing were probably also looking at companies like Benchmark which is even more expensive but with fewer features.

RME have made a concerted marketing effort towards the audiophile market. For example, RME sent a rep to the show I went to earlier this year, and they've paid John Darko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJQIPymJGk

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm trying to figure out bluetooth audio simultaneous in/out on Windows. When my wife was trying to use bt earbuds with built in mic to chat with people on discord while watching a movie the audio goes all terrible once she says anything. It seems like it switches the audio output to some crappy mono thing when chatting. I can find a decade of random posts about this issue and I can't tell if this is just how it goes with bt or its a limitation of the earbuds and/or bt receiver not supporting a fancier protocol.

Does she need to upgrade those (adapter or ear buds) or should she pick up a bt lapel mic to work around the issue? She hates headsets/big headphones which often have dongles so trying to figure out an earbud friendly setup.

The short answer is that it's a Bluetooth limitation. If she's fine with wired audio, you might want to try a pair of cheap wired in-ear monitors with a mic first.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FuzzySlippers posted:

As far as I know it's a limit of bluetooth profiles. If you look at the bluetooth settings you'll typically see a "HEADPHONE_MODEL Headphone" listed as well as a "HEADPHONE_MODEL Headset" listed. It switches to the later to do two way audio and for whatever reason the frequency response stinks. I'm kind of surprised this is still a thing in 2023, but that's the way legacy technologies tend to work, sadly.

I believe switching to a separate mic would solve the problem, but Windows bluetooth implementation is famously goofy (I've heard this from multiple Microsoft engineers) so you'd probably have to try it to be sure.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Doesn't that make bt essentially useless for gaming headsets? I know they are usually dongle rf but I thought I'd seen some bt ones.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FuzzySlippers posted:

Doesn't that make bt essentially useless for gaming headsets? I know they are usually dongle rf but I thought I'd seen some bt ones.

Yes it does, along with the terrible latency (yes I know there are codecs that mitigate this, but you can only do so much). If you see a "gaming" headset using bluetooth, stay far, far away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never seen a bt gaming headset that doesnt use a dongle for low latency. The bt is generally just there for chatting, connecting to a phone, music etc.

That said I use bt for playing games on the steam deck and its not actually bad at all. I wouldnt use it as a daily driver but its fine in a pinch. The latency is barely noticeable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I actually bought the BT beats flex recommended a few pages ago for use with my steam deck and laptop. It works great though I don't play competitive or rhythm games. My cats like to sit next to me while I play and they were occasionally trying to eat the headphone cord of the FH3 I had plugged in. I wanted some kind of cord so I could pull them out and leave them attached as I kept losing my totally wireless earbuds when I'd do that, but not enough cord to be tempting to the cats. The beats are working great and I actually don't notice much quality difference from the fh3 for my usage (I am old with tinnitus so that may just be me). Not gonna try to use them for multiplayer though.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Appoda posted:

Which brings me to my next bit. My mee-maw wants some headphones for her job -- I was thinking about just giving her my Q30s and upgrading to a set of Soundcore Q45s, since they're only $80 right now $100 nevermind the $80 are refurbs. Can anyone who's owned both Q30s and Q45s speak to the differences between them? Also, the quality of refurbs from Anker? My refurb'd sonys worked fine except the 3.5mm jack was hosed. I'd have to finagle with it if I wanted to use them with my PC just about every time.

So I got the Q45s. They're mostly what I was expecting -- very minor upgrade over the Q30s with noise cancelling that works over the wire. You get a lot more options with the software to gently caress with the ANC and sound profiles and stuff, not sure how much of that is useful. Sounds good when plugged in, sounds fine over BT. They got rid of the hand hover for transparency, which I like, and sped up the startup/shutdown sequence.

The thing is... Whenever I'm moving, the "sound" of the headphones themselves is much more noticeable. Like shaking my head has an impact on what I'm hearing, or even just moving my jaw up and down. It's hard to explain, but it's like if you picked up a speaker with your hand and turned it in front of your ear while something's playing, with the audio hitting a little different at 30 degrees vs 0 degrees. My problem is I'm getting that with pretty subtle head movements, like even just normal bobbing to the beat.

Is that a normal thing with over-ear headphones? :v: I didn't have this problem with the Q30s or my previous set. It's really subtle, but still kind of annoying. Not sure if it's an issue with the seal or the speakers themselves. The pads are a bit stiff (still breaking them in), but not what I'd consider uncomfortable (probably had them on for 5-6 hours yesterday). I do feel like there's a wee bit of a gap between my neck and my earlobe where the pads aren't sealing as tightly as the rest.

Anyways, I'm mostly just asking if it's a case of "sometimes headphones just sound like that" or if I should RMA and try to get a set that doesn't have a 'wobble.'

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Appoda posted:

Anyways, I'm mostly just asking if it's a case of "sometimes headphones just sound like that" or if I should RMA and try to get a set that doesn't have a 'wobble.'

I actually just got a pair of Q45s as well. I had been eyeing them the last time they went on sale a few months ago, but my interest in them was renewed after messing with a relative's Soundcore Life Q10s a couple weeks ago and being surprised that they didn't sound like total garbage. Now that I have the Q45s, I think the Q10s might actually sound better (though both are exceedingly V-shaped). While they do have an EQ, that can only do so much. Then there's the ANC, which is almost useless. Long story short: I spent $80 instead of $150 and I still feel ripped off, so they're going back. Oh, well.

I don't experience the sound instability to the degree that you have, but I do notice that there is a very pronounced "wah" effect centered around 800 Hz when taking the headphones off during playback. There seems to be something about the earcup design that produces a ton of gain in that band in a way that I haven't witnessed with other over-ears. I can only imagine how much of a difference this makes in the perceived sound profile between different wearers. If you're having issues with getting a good seal around the bottom, I can definitely see this phenomenon happening to you. Try rapidly adjusting the EQ on the 800 Hz band and see if that replicates some of what you're experiencing.

To answer your question more broadly: I have owned many, many different sets of over-ears and the sound profile is generally pretty stable on all of them no matter how I wear them or move my head/jaw. On models with big, roomy earcups (like the DT 770), I can hear a minor difference if I intentionally shift their position extremely forward or backward relative to my ears, but never as a result of simply moving around.

I do have a set of Sony Linkbuds S in which I can detect a very subtle "warble" in the sound profile when I adjust their fit while ANC is on, but I've just dismissed that as an artifact of the ANC trying to keep up with rapidly changing conditions as I move the IEMs around and not an issue with fit.

Edit: I have noticed a slight "wah" effect on the Q45 when moving my head around, but only when ANC is on. Ironically, the "wah" effect I talked about earlier when taking them off is less pronounced with ANC on. If the problem you're experiencing present all the time, or just when ANC is active?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 30, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I have been unsuccessful in getting people to check out Sennheiser 280s instead of Beyerdynamics or even more expensive Sennheisers. I've even tried to point out that the Pro in the name isn't a marketing gimmick; that plenty of producers and even engineers use that exact pair. They counter saying no, they use things like Beats. Which is true, lots of producers wear them in videos and documentaries. Because they get paid to. And also they master tracks to sound nice on popular headphones. After recording and mixing on something like the 280s. Oh well...

Personally I have those and Grado S80s. Which sound freaking sweet even though they're not monitors. Although I unfortunately have the old version with thin, unpadded, flimsy headband and non-braided thick cables. The headband not only gets uncomfortable but mine got bent in my suitcase and I can't unbend it. And the cables have a default of being tangled. Like, you can untangle them and they naturally go back to twisting around themselves. I'm sure the new version solves those problems but I don't know if I could recommend the version I have. But I'm stuck with mine because apparently they last forever.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
HD 280s were my first introduction to hi-fi headphones back in 2007. I had recommended them to my dad who had recently purchased a 5th gen iPod and wanted something better than pack-in earbuds to use them with while doing boomer dad things like using a riding mower. Much like someone who had only known TN monitors seeing an IPS monitor for the first time, nothing really stood out to me at first, but after a few hours of listening, it was clear I couldn't go back to my Koss UR-20s.

I suspect the reason most people don't go for HD 280s are the ridiculous looking headband and abnormally high clamping force. The coiled cable and thin vinyl material on the padding probably don't help either. I liked them well enough, but even I felt the need to keep looking elsewhere when upgrading my own set and eventually arrived at DT 770s as my main headphones for many, many years.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 1, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

For sure! They're not going to work for everybody. But considering them as an option, and maybe checking them out is what I was going for in recommending them. I wouldn't at all be disappointed to hear the people I pitched them to had looked into them and decided the large coiled cable is just too much. I'm only upset that everybody who told me they were looking for high end headphones dismissed them because of the relatively low price or because they 'didn't look hi-fi'.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Zorilla posted:

I actually just got a pair of Q45s as well. I had been eyeing them the last time they went on sale a few months ago, but my interest in them was renewed after messing with a relative's Soundcore Life Q10s a couple weeks ago and being surprised that they didn't sound like total garbage. Now that I have the Q45s, I think the Q10s might actually sound better (though both are exceedingly V-shaped). While they do have an EQ, that can only do so much. Then there's the ANC, which is almost useless. Long story short: I spent $80 instead of $150 and I still feel ripped off, so they're going back. Oh, well.

I don't experience the sound instability to the degree that you have, but I do notice that there is a very pronounced "wah" effect centered around 800 Hz when taking the headphones off during playback. There seems to be something about the earcup design that produces a ton of gain in that band in a way that I haven't witnessed with other over-ears. I can only imagine how much of a difference this makes in the perceived sound profile between different wearers. If you're having issues with getting a good seal around the bottom, I can definitely see this phenomenon happening to you. Try rapidly adjusting the EQ on the 800 Hz band and see if that replicates some of what you're experiencing.

To answer your question more broadly: I have owned many, many different sets of over-ears and the sound profile is generally pretty stable on all of them no matter how I wear them or move my head/jaw. On models with big, roomy earcups (like the DT 770), I can hear a minor difference if I intentionally shift their position extremely forward or backward relative to my ears, but never as a result of simply moving around.

I do have a set of Sony Linkbuds S in which I can detect a very subtle "warble" in the sound profile when I adjust their fit while ANC is on, but I've just dismissed that as an artifact of the ANC trying to keep up with rapidly changing conditions as I move the IEMs around and not an issue with fit.

Edit: I have noticed a slight "wah" effect on the Q45 when moving my head around, but only when ANC is on. Ironically, the "wah" effect I talked about earlier when taking them off is less pronounced with ANC on. If the problem you're experiencing present all the time, or just when ANC is active?

Sound instability. That's a good way to put it. And yeah, it's like I can feel the pressure moving around in my ears between the cups or something. It's almost any head movement; eating, talking, looking left and right, yawning, etc. Though yesterday was cold enough for a beanie, and I wore the Q45s over it -- obv the fabric muffles the sound/ANC effectiveness slightly, but I didn't notice the same sound instability with the hat on.

I mostly keep ANC on; I can still kinda hear the warble/whatever when in normal, but I'd also concur that the Q45 has worse ANC. At first I thought I had just gotten "used" to them with the Q30s, but I tried both and the Q45s are noticeably weaker. I think the cups are also ever so slightly bigger on the Q45s... maybe that's what's leading to sound leakage. Even if I hold 'em tight against my head tho, they still don't sound quite right unless I'm sitting still.

I haven't tried the EQ trick, but I think I'm ultimately in the same boat -- gonna return the Q45s and maybe try the Q35s or something? I would like a set of cans with ANC when plugged and unplugged, which the Q30s can't do, but the sound instability on the Q45s is more annoying than no ANC when I'm at my desk. Thanks for the help, in any case! I definitely wasn't expecting such a detailed and quick turnaround.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bright Bart posted:

I have been unsuccessful in getting people to check out Sennheiser 280s instead of Beyerdynamics or even more expensive Sennheisers. I've even tried to point out that the Pro in the name isn't a marketing gimmick; that plenty of producers and even engineers use that exact pair. They counter saying no, they use things like Beats. Which is true, lots of producers wear them in videos and documentaries. Because they get paid to. And also they master tracks to sound nice on popular headphones. After recording and mixing on something like the 280s. Oh well...

Anecdotally, I've found that nobody mixes on HD280s but they're absolutely everywhere that anyone is recording music. You're more likely to see DT770s in the mixing room for whatever reason, but a ton of studios have a huge collection of 280s for tracking. Also, I've never met a drummer who hasn't owned a pair. I think they're a bit clampy and sweaty for long term home use but they're indestructible and sound good. Also anecdotally, anyone using beats in a professional environment would get extremely laughed at behind their back or in front of it depending on the situation.

e:

Bright Bart posted:

I'm sure the new version solves those problems but I don't know if I could recommend the version I have. But I'm stuck with mine because apparently they last forever.

lmao absolutely not, grado is the cranky old geezer of the audio world and will not change anything ever.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 1, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The cranky guy in Brooklyn yelling at the hipsters to get out

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I bought a pair of Grados off Head-Fi's recommendation around 2010. They broke within a month because the cable had no strain relief, and was non-replaceable.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Godzilla07 posted:

I bought a pair of Grados off Head-Fi's recommendation around 2010. They broke within a month because the cable had no strain relief, and was non-replaceable.

Yes but Rush is absolutely incredible through Grados.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am never buying nice headphones without replaceable cables.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Even though sometimes it's a pain in the rear end, I like having a detachable cable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love how Grados sound but after I got my Sundaras I just stopped using them because of the comfort difference and sold them. A friend of mine though has gotten hers repaired multiple times in the 6 years shes owned hers because she loves them so much.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Feedbacker posted:

Weird, I've never had that issue, at least not that I'm able to perceive. The only thing I've run into that was close was a compression-like effect when the plug wasn't fully seated in the headphone jack.

I think that actually was the issue after trying it with my new 6XX's and it sounding fine. It was consistent with the ATH headphones, so I guess something about the connector prevented it from seating correctly. I think I've had that happen before with certain phone cases and ATH headphones.

The 6XXs are amazing. Feels like I'm listening to some of my favorites for the first time.

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 2, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

I am never buying nice headphones without replaceable cables.
seriously. one of my favorite things about my open back Senns at home and work is how I can pop on new pads/cables in a couple minutes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

evil_bunnY posted:

seriously. one of my favorite things about my open back Senns at home and work is how I can pop on new pads/cables in a couple minutes.

And how are those parts where you are at, in terms of price?

Some companies charge ridiculous amounts. Like $25 or more for each foam earpad. Or $79 for a basic cable.

I get that it can be argued that it's cheaper than getting a brand new pair and that this is what the consumer should be comparing it to. But I imagine many people don't make the purchase out of principal. I'm guessing enough people do buy the parts, or else they'd go for getting good wil and drive sales by giving them for free like some other companies. Then again business folks don't always have business sense.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 2, 2023

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

Some companies charge ridiculous amounts. Like $25 or more for each foam earpad. Or $79 for a basic cable.
Imo the prices are mostly reasonable, especially for the parts that can be replaced by functionally identical third party components.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Noooo! I managed to snap the headband on my AKG 371s and now the seal is dogshit :(
My quick fix was to bend some steel wire and wrap it tightly around the spot like a splint with electrical tape, but it's not the best fix - any suggestions on what I could try instead?

Here's where it snapped/bent out of shape:

I don't mind if a proper fix looks ugly (as you can see from my McGyvered bluetooth headphones i cobbled together out of desperation once):

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

I had akg 702 before and cracking the dumb transparent flexible ends of the tension band (something that happens to all of them eventually) meant replacing the whole band, for near enough the price of the whole unit, so they got recycled.

On the cans before that, the cable developed internal damage near the cups.

On the Senns the cables have never failed and are standard 2,5mm anyway.

Pads were like 25 bucks?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Hello friend, I tested my HD560S on my Dualsense a few moments ago. I tried GT7 first, and there is not enough of the car sound oomph that I would desire. I switched to Skyrim then and spent two hours just noodling around and listening to the amazing sound design that game has. From thundering timpani to drizzling rain, everything sounds amazing. And there is enough power coming from the controller to drive the cans. So it all depends what you want to play, but outside of a few special cases such as racing games of Ace Combat I dont see any issues.

Thanks for testing this, and thanks to everyone else who responded. I ended up going with the TYGR 300R, I figured I might miss the bass a bit with the HD 560S. So far Im really impressed with them. They sound great, theyre very comfortable, and the build quality seems excellent. The Dualsense has no problem driving them, though they do need a few more notches of volume than my M50s.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
New job is letting me pick a headset up to approx. $250 for work. Needs a good-enough microphone for meetings. Are there any good recommendations for over-ear headsets with built-in mics that also do music good? Wired, preferably, I cannot stand bluetooth latency. And something that doesn't leak a bunch of sound and annoy the poo poo out of my coworkers.

I don't really know much about high-quality cans except that I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x that I bought as a replacement when the hinges on my previous ATH-M40x broke.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Honestly if this is for work, I would check out Jabra headsets. While they can do Bluetooth, they also come with a dongle that keeps the lag pretty minimal. It's much better than Bluetooth in that regard.

They're a bit pricey but it's sale season so might be worth monitoring for the next few weeks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Get whatever the gently caress headphones you want and get a modmic usb.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I should clarify: They need to be able to do meetings, but as long as the mic is "good enough", the main focus for me will be that the sound on the actual cans is good for music.

Dogen posted:

Get whatever the gently caress headphones you want and get a modmic usb.

I was about to say that separate mic and headphones are a non-starter 'cause I need to be able to take it with me (laptop/wfh type poo poo), but the modmic looks pretty neat actually. Might be a bit too fiddly, but I'll keep it in mind

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It comes with a case so you can travel with it but yeah it increases the number of things to carry from one to two for travel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The good headsets are from Jabra and Plantronics/Poly. Ive tried several, picked on-ears instead of over-ears every time. Theres no lag if you use the dongle plus you get the killer feature of these which is the visible mute status indicator. My current one is a Jabra Evolve2 65 Flex which is a terrible name but its a good headset. Super reliable on calls, decent but not amazing for music, folds up, can charge on any Qi pad. If it has one downside the mic isnt the best of youre going to use it outside in the wind.

All that said my Focals are still right next to them on my desk, theyre not a replacement for the good poo poo.

e: VVVVVV I went through two of those [Voyager Focus] before my Jabra, they are decent sounding and super comfortable but there's a bit where the metal headband meets the plastic that breaks.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 5, 2023

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've been using a Poly Voyager Focus for a few years for work and it's very good. +1 for the dongle, definitely worth it.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use a Poly Voyager Focus 2 for my home office stuff and it's the bees knees. I've owned plenty of headsets that claim multipoint and this one just actually works.

I wouldn't use it for serious listening, but it's fine for having music/YouTube in the background via my phone while still being able to pick up a Teams call on my PC without missing a beat.

(For online piano lessons I use DT770+Modmic but I wouldn't want to wear it all day. Not sure how well Modmic plays with open-backs.)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Discussion Quorum posted:

(For online piano lessons I use DT770+Modmic but I wouldn't want to wear it all day. Not sure how well Modmic plays with open-backs.)

I have a modmic for my Sundaras and it works just fine.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My mod mic works great with my hd6xx for work calls.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I wonder, is modmic listed in Windows has a headset or just a mic, as I kind of forgot about it. (Work doesn't allow standalone mics or wireless.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ive used mod mic with a succession of Senns and my Audezes and no issues. People just hear my keyboard if my noise canceling fucks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Instant Grat posted:

New job is letting me pick a headset up to approx. $250 for work. Needs a good-enough microphone for meetings. Are there any good recommendations for over-ear headsets with built-in mics that also do music good? Wired, preferably, I cannot stand bluetooth latency. And something that doesn't leak a bunch of sound and annoy the poo poo out of my coworkers.

I don't really know much about high-quality cans except that I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x that I bought as a replacement when the hinges on my previous ATH-M40x broke.

If you don't want to do headphones + mic, I once again recommend the Sennheiser Pc38x, good microphone, sound pretty great. Only thing is, they leave a lot of excess budget so not sure if you could find a way to spend the rest of that.