Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I love ending it with “his wife, children, grandchildren and all those who loved him”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I wish a journalist would ask Biden for remarks on Shane MacGowan's death

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolutely; high diplomacy means you don't get to come out and say "I'm glad that motherfucker is dead" no matter how much you (Or leftists online) wish you could, but it's the least subtle 'subtle' shade I've ever seen thrown.

didn't realize that biden absolutely loving hated kissinger, but there's no other conclusion from that

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I love ending it with “his wife, children, grandchildren and all those who loved him”.

“(Not me)”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Staluigi posted:

didn't realize that biden absolutely loving hated kissinger, but there's no other conclusion from that

I don't think he actually hated him. He rarely talked about him over his career. I can't remember him making any major public comments about Kissinger ever and Google just brings up one statement from 2007 when Kissinger was testifying before congress where he praised his intelligence and experience, but said he disagreed with him a lot.

I think he probably didn't think about him too much and all the White House/executive branch spokespeople are issuing similarly carefully worded statements when asked about it:

quote:

Whether you saw eye to eye with him on every issue there’s no question that he shaped foreign policy decisions for decades and he certainly had an impact on America’s role in the world.

quote:

There is no doubt that he was a historically brilliant man who shaped not just the United States, but the world over decades. However, history will have to grapple with the decisions he made.

quote:

He was extraordinarily generous with his wisdom, with his advice. He was a veteran who served this country in World War II and had multiple children and grandchildren.

All of them are extremely carefully worded to just say, "He was [insert fact] and had [insert factual statement], but we can't forget [oblique reference to policies] and he is not currently alive. The date is 11/30/2023." Literal statements of fact that clearly indicates that some kind of style guide went out to acknowledge his death, but say nothing about it beyond that it happened.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Even if he does hate him I don't think it really means much if anything that the current president hates Kissinger when he's still operating and reinforcing a world shaped by him.

But really this is politics and I think Biden just realizes there is no benefit in praising a controversial figure he originally owes nothing to and whose main presence for the White House the last few years has been arm chair quarterbacking the State Departments handling of China. Much like other presidents and their fans, he's not leaving you secret messages to decode.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wrong, Biden wants me to drink more ovaltine

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i mean a staffer probably wrote that, why bother biden with it, and he seems to surround himself with people who would hate the kiss singer

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"I still remember the first time I met kissinger, now let me proceed to not go into the details about that the way any other eulogy that opened up with those words would" when biden's memoir has the details of that being "kissinger thought biden was a senator's aide and then got his name wrong" very much does not seem like a staffer wrote it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

InsertPotPun posted:

i mean a staffer probably wrote that, why bother biden with it, and he seems to surround himself with people who would hate the kiss singer

normally i would agree, but biden loves himself a eulogy. from the various ones that i've seen he seems to actually be invested in them

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Compare and contrast the New York Yankees:
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1730234838693614070

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seems like a pretty bog standard statement about someone who was largely seen as a revered elder statesman by the political leadership. Kind of a stretch to say that Biden "loving hates" Kissinger based on it. It reminds me of the time that Trump met with Queen Elizabeth and a bunch of weirdos on twitter were saying that the broach she wore was totally a major insult to him or whatever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fister Roboto posted:

Seems like a pretty bog standard statement about someone who was largely seen as a revered elder statesman by the political leadership. Kind of a stretch to say that Biden "loving hates" Kissinger based on it. It reminds me of the time that Trump met with Queen Elizabeth and a bunch of weirdos on twitter were saying that the broach she wore was totally a major insult to him or whatever.

I literally posted a link to another message on a recently deceased person and highlighted the differences.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

NYC is a combo of the city being pretty hostile to cars while also having a very robust transit system. They have a ton of trains. Owning a car in NYC is expensive as hell to own, park and insure and the traffic is horrible. For most people it’s way more convenient to the transit.

LA has a terrible car culture. Notice how they are just barely above Chicago while having double the population. They have too many roads and not enough trains. Chicago ridership has also dropped off a ton since the pandemic.

E: a quick look and in 2019, CTA ridership was over 400 million.

Huh, when I visited NYC I found the public transport system there pretty horrid. Everything looks like it has been running for several decades with little or no maintenance, the stations and trains are all grimy, dirty and smell like pee, the coverage is mediocre at best. I haven't been to any other city in the US but surely it can't get much worse than that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sure, let's accept that it is in fact a bog standard eulogy. It's not, but let's just accept that it is for a second.

If that is a bog standard eulogy, biden does not EVER give bog standard eulogies, the fact that he did in this case definitely says something. Saying that he loving hated kissinger based on that alone, definitely reading too much into it (maybe he did sure, but also maybe his feelings were much more mild), but going in the other direction seems even more foolish

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Huh, when I visited NYC I found the public transport system there pretty horrid. Everything looks like it has been running for several decades with little or no maintenance, the stations and trains are all grimy, dirty and smell like pee, the coverage is mediocre at best. I haven't been to any other city in the US but surely it can't get much worse than that?

That’s the gold standard for American PTS. Some cities just plain don’t have subways, railcars, or trams, and struggle to have buses at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BabyFur Denny posted:

There’s a good argument that the NYC subway is the best in all of North America. You’re also not wrong in your assessment : it’s okay-ish at best, with a lot of grime and decay on top.

It is a loving dire continent if you like good transportation infrastructure. Most cities have no actual infrastructure, so maybe there’s an anemic and very spotty bus service somewhere relevant, if you’re lucky. Everything is designed to favor cars, to the point of having demolished most of the (often pretty good) pre-automobile infrastructure to build more roads.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Sure, let's accept that it is in fact a bog standard eulogy. It's not, but let's just accept that it is for a second.

If that is a bog standard eulogy, biden does not EVER give bog standard eulogies, the fact that he did in this case definitely says something. Saying that he loving hated kissinger based on that alone, definitely reading too much into it (maybe he did sure, but also maybe his feelings were much more mild), but going in the other direction seems even more foolish

I'm not saying he loved the guy either. Just seems like a stretch. It's also completely unproveable either way so it really just comes down to vibes.

Just in general, if you think that a famous person or political figure secretly agrees with you on something but they can't directly say it, you might want to get some perspective.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not saying he loved the guy either. Just seems like a stretch. It's also completely unproveable either way so it really just comes down to vibes.

Just in general, if you think that a famous person or political figure secretly agrees with you on something but they can't directly say it, you might want to get some perspective.

You might not be saying he loved the guy but you ARE saying it's just a normal eulogy and it's very much not, so everyone is telling you "it is very much not a normal eulogy"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You might not be saying he loved the guy but you ARE saying it's just a normal eulogy and it's very much not, so everyone is telling you "it is very much not a normal eulogy"

It's not a eulogy though, it's just a statement. He's barely been dead for 24 hours, so there will probably be a more official state proclamation to come (or not, who knows), not to mention the funeral where there will be actual eulogies. Yes I agree it's different from the Carter one (which was an official proclamation, not a statement) but there a dozen other possible reasons besides "throwing shade" or whatever so it just seems weird to leap to that conclusion.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 1, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LA has been making a massive push to expand their public transportation system ahead of the 2028 Olympic Games and the fact that they're in 2nd place for ridership is pretty impressive.
Still lot more projects to be opened yet too.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not a eulogy though, it's just a statement. He's barely been dead for 24 hours, so there will probably be a more official state proclamation to come (or not, who knows), not to mention the funeral where there will be actual eulogies. Yes I agree it's different from the Carter one (which was an official proclamation, not a statement) but there a dozen other possible reasons besides "throwing shade" or whatever so it just seems weird to leap to that conclusion.

Here is Biden's statement on the death of Rosalynn Carter from the day she died:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/11/19/statement-from-president-joe-biden-and-first-lady-jill-biden-on-the-passing-of-former-first-lady-rosalynn-carter/ posted:

First Lady Rosalynn Carter walked her own path, inspiring a nation and the world along the way.

Throughout her incredible life as First Lady of Georgia and the First Lady of the United States, Rosalynn did so much to address many of society’s greatest needs. She was a champion for equal rights and opportunities for women and girls; an advocate for mental health and wellness for every person; and a supporter of the often unseen and uncompensated caregivers of our children, aging loved ones, and people with disabilities.

Above all, the deep love shared between Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter is the definition of partnership, and their humble leadership is the definition of patriotism. She lived her life by her faith.

Time and time again, during the more than four decades of our friendship – through rigors of campaigns, through the darkness of deep and profound loss – we always felt the hope, warmth, and optimism of Rosalynn Carter. She will always be in our hearts.

On behalf of a grateful nation, we send our love to President Carter, the entire Carter family, and the countless people across our nation and the world whose lives are better, fuller, and brighter because of the life and legacy of Rosalynn Carter.

May God bless our dear friend.

May God bless a great American.

As you can see, he pretty much did a find and replace for Rosalynn Carter -> Henry Kissinger.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not just different it's straight up damning with faint praise. Not a mind reader so I don't know in his heart of hearts why biden is damning kissinger with faint praise, but he is definitely damning kissinger with faint praise.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

James Garfield posted:

Here is Biden's statement on the death of Rosalynn Carter from the day she died:

As you can see, he pretty much did a find and replace for Rosalynn Carter -> Henry Kissinger.

I don't know, to me that's a lot more complimentary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not just different it's straight up damning with faint praise. Not a mind reader so I don't know in his heart of hearts why biden is damning kissinger with faint praise, but he is definitely damning kissinger with faint praise.

Yeah sorry but I just don't see what you see :shrug:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Here's the day after Jimmy Buffett died.

Biden likes his flowery eulogies. He gives them for all kinds of notable people He chose to really really not give one for someone that had a bigger impact on American politics than many people he's given them to. Make of it what you will, I guess.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Sometimes things like this end up like trying to read tea leaves, but there's a very consistent methodology to notes of condolence in political and diplomatic circles, and this one worked entirely within those rules and conventions to basically say "gently caress this guy" — there's too much of a body of work to contrast it against to claim ambiguity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scam Likely posted:

NYC owns for being an oasis for those who understand that car culture is an abnormal blip in human history. We don't need big rear end trucks to carry our fat asses through drive-thrus while wearing opaque sunglasses, ranting to our phones about people we might encounter during the brief moments we move from air conditioned car to air conditioned building.

Everyone needs to get orange pilled and see that cars are literally tearing society apart.

drat right. Only thing better is the convenience stores.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Huh, when I visited NYC I found the public transport system there pretty horrid. Everything looks like it has been running for several decades with little or no maintenance, the stations and trains are all grimy, dirty and smell like pee, the coverage is mediocre at best.

I used to do a lot of work with the MTA and this is very much true. They will tell you it is to your face. The reason is simple - you can't actually do a lot of maintenance or upgrades on the NY subway because that would require shutting parts of it down for extended periods. The system is so far over capacity and so critical to the city that doing that is basically impossible. Any kind of shutdown takes months of planning to make sure the impact is as short and limited as possible, and the cost to the city to do it is many times more than the actual labor and parts involved.

The system itself is very old and can't be scaled. For instance, they literally can't add additional trains because the system predates computerized scheduling and the tracks instead physically disconnect when a train is in a given block to prevent collisions. You can't increase the capacity of the trains because they can't be made bigger without making the tunnels wider. Trains can't go faster because turns are too tight and tracks are too narrow. Digging new tunnels is hilariously expensive because Manhattan is basically a single a giant hard boulder and you'd have to go extremely deep to avoid existing infrastructure. Nobody is willing to pay for it so it gets limped along.

The NYC subway system is actually really bad and inadequate compared to pretty much every major city outside North America (that I've been to, at least). The other cities in the US aren't really worse in terms of modernization, cleanliness or reliability. They're worse in the sense that no other city even really has a mass transit system on the same scale. I used to travel 100% for work and NYC is literally the only place in the US that I didn't get around primarily by car. Even in Toronto, I would drive into the city center and then take mass transit from there (pro tip - city hall has cheap parking under it).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Discendo Vox posted:

Gonna write that down for later use...

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

here's someone's ~Tier List~ of the major metropolitan transit systems "based off their current leadership"

don't know how its accuracy will feel to other people who get around a hell of a lot more than I do but the MBTA is definitely the F standard. it's not even really about unsafe or unsanitary either, it's just that it feels like the MBTA is run by Consultant Class Idea Men who were brought in by buddies to be a part of a huge graft network and have left the system in a state where everything is so way beyond end-of-life that it costs phenomenal sums of money and breakage downtime just to keep it hobbling along that it ate up three times as much money as it would have cost to just replace and upgrade things competently, so you get a black hole of money which still pisses on you on a weekly/monthly basis and makes you want to cry

and i sometimes travel to DC for work and just marvel at how everything just works

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The London Tube shits on the NYC Subway from a height, but both are still great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone who grew up in Miami-Dade County, I refuse to believe that there is competent leadership anywhere down there

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Staluigi posted:

don't know how its accuracy will feel to other people who get around a hell of a lot more than I do but the MBTA is definitely the F standard. it's not even really about unsafe or unsanitary either, it's just that it feels like the MBTA is run by Consultant Class Idea Men who were brought in by buddies to be a part of a huge graft network and have left the system in a state where everything is so way beyond end-of-life that it costs phenomenal sums of money and breakage downtime just to keep it hobbling along that it ate up three times as much money as it would have cost to just replace and upgrade things competently, so you get a black hole of money which still pisses on you on a weekly/monthly basis and makes you want to cry

Well yah Charlie Baker basically hosed the MBTA over 20 years.

I am not going to defend the MBTA and say its good. But I will say that commuter rail gets pretty deep in Massachusetts and there is very little of Boston that isn't near a T station which is cool.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're currently sitting on 24 billion needed for repairs which includes things like the recent green line extension track being too narrow.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local/cost-to-fix-the-t-soars-to-24-billion-new-mbta-report-estimates

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

The London Tube shits on the NYC Subway from a height, but both are still great

oh are we ranking global public transport networks

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Staluigi posted:

here's someone's ~Tier List~ of the major metropolitan transit systems "based off their current leadership"

The CTA leadership does suck right now. They have struggled hard to get enough people for buses and trains since the pandemic so everything takes longer. Wait times for trains used to be 5-7 minutes during normal times, now 10 minutes is pretty normal and late at night is loving awful. Buses were not great before and have gotten worse. It’s been frustrating for everyone.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The MBTA is in the same "house is on fire and everything is rickety" area that the DC metro was in five years ago, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the shutdowns over the next year since Phil Eng is an actual engineer. I still only use my car for costco, hiking, and visiting friends in the sticks. Having said that I'm also glad I mainly rely on the orange line :v:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Staluigi posted:

how is MARTA north of 50% there, wth

edit: oh, based on leadership? Why does that fricking matter when the results are dog poo poo.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Hypothetically if the list isn't wrong it could tell you a lot about if the system would get better or worse in 5-10 years. MBTA was having a hell of a spotlight on it because it was potentially a candidate for federal takeover for sucking too badly to be left in the hands of the state govt and most of us were like "please, yes, sounds great"

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not going to defend the MBTA and say its good. But I will say that commuter rail gets pretty deep in Massachusetts and there is very little of Boston that isn't near a T station which is cool.

Yeah boston kicks in a bit of luck with dense t station accommodation throughout, which averages out the pain well enough if you have an understanding employer