Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What are you talkin' about, we still had people excited over the doctor and the ep was absolutely full of joy and excitement. It shouldn't be homogenous, happy happy joy joy every character every line. Even then her dismissal of that meeting was cheeky, she was smirking, it's practically a flirt. Variety is the spice of life and candy always has citric acid because candy sucks without a little acid for contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I don't recall anyone gushing at all, nor is that even what I'm what I think should have happened. But a 'scientist' that's supposed to be protecting the earth meeting the best and most fundamental consultant in her species history and then just la-de-daing away was trite snark pandering. The only person I remember gushing in that episode was the "lookit at the aliens" kid. Everyone else was all eggshells and morose and ambivalent.

Interesting, I've apparently met my shadow mirror opinion holder.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Being part of UNIT you could also expect an entirely antagonistic encounter, has happened before. I assume a UNIT "scientist" in the UK has the same connotations as a british "explorer" and it's understand the sciencing comes with a lot of weapons and destruction, and her foreknowledge of him includes all of the bad things he's done and of course any time he shows up something terrible will happen, and many of those consequences are real and permanent for people living in real-time on the ground even when the Doctor decides this should be one of those times to save everyone's lives at least.

Also for her, seeing this version of the Doctor was kind of old hat. Great, she meets the Doctor for the first time, oh, it's the one she already saw everything about, not the cool new one no one has met yet. Nobody at the office is gonna be impressed either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Slyphic posted:

I don't recall anyone gushing at all, nor is that even what I'm what I think should have happened. But a 'scientist' that's supposed to be protecting the earth meeting the best and most fundamental consultant in her species history and then just la-de-daing away was trite snark pandering. The only person I remember gushing in that episode was the "lookit at the aliens" kid. Everyone else was all eggshells and morose and ambivalent.

Interesting, I've apparently met my shadow mirror opinion holder.

It wouldn't surprise me if, from her point of view, she's already met Ncutti Doctor and gushed with him, so ReTennant is old hat. Maybe we will see her first meeting with the Doctor next season?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I figure for UNIT, the Doctors are all turning up out of order anyway. They’re not concrete on the exact order, but there’s working theories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah I guess 2 through 4 showed up in order but that's about all I'd be prepared to swear to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The orientation for new UNIT members has a PowerPoint that's a bit like that movie The History of Time Travel.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PriorMarcus posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if, from her point of view, she's already met Ncutti Doctor and gushed with him, so ReTennant is old hat. Maybe we will see her first meeting with the Doctor next season?

I hope it's something like that. Or she tweaks the smugness down a peg when she has someone else to act against. We've only seen her talk to the doc and give orders to mooks so far.

I just can't get to aloof and disinterested from any knowledge of the doctor. He's a portent, whatever your opinion of his impact. Excited is an option, as are terrified, panicked, angry, despair and bewildered, but 'popular girl table scoffing'? No. Just no.

I'm not asking for a whole "new doc, who dis" thing, but just letting him run off is something I'd expect from a non-executive UNIT officer. If she wasn't in command it would be different. But maybe they literally could not fit that character into the episode. (maybe it should have been a 90m episode, or a two parter)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do kinda love the concept of UNIT being deployed to meet the Doctor, but no one is sure which one it’s going to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have you ever popular girl table scoffed at someone with an inflated ego? It really is the best use case of it, doesn't punch down.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Have you ever popular girl table scoffed at someone with an inflated ego? It really is the best use case of it, doesn't punch down.
The doctor's ego isn't inflated. You save the universe(s) a couple times, you earn it. Becky and Jennifer seething with jealousy ain't punching up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's odd to see someone advocating so hard for the Doctor to be treated worshipfully. Some of the most obnoxious stuff in the show comes from that treatment of the Doctor.

The Unit advisor wasn't making GBS threads on the Doctor. She clearly liked and admired him, she was just playing it cool because she was a cool person. It was cool and felt positive to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very recently the Doctor did nothing to stop most of the universe being destroyed.

We should meet the Doctor together, good companion combos have sharp contrast.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

People keep putting words in my mouth; worship, gush.

Most of my friends are scientists of one kind or another, a couple decades in academia will do that. They don't worship interesting events in their fields, but they sure as hell one and all don't play it cool when something momentous happens. Her character's behavior just rings false for me.

The doc failing to save the universe one time doesn't tip the scales against the dozens of times they did, nor the billion smaller saves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

I figure for UNIT, the Doctors are all turning up out of order anyway. They’re not concrete on the exact order, but there’s working theories.

that came up in the special on saturday! the unit lead was like "but you don't know about those faces yet?"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

Daleks don't look like a disfigured person in a wheelchair. They look like ambulatory bins.

This isn't the equivalence you seem to think it is

I mean I'm not up in arms about it, it's just fun to follow the reasoning to its conclusion

You wouldn't even need to bend canon to make it less ableist, Daleks with feet have a clear precedent:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Slyphic posted:

People keep putting words in my mouth; worship, gush.

Most of my friends are scientists of one kind or another, a couple decades in academia will do that. They don't worship interesting events in their fields, but they sure as hell one and all don't play it cool when something momentous happens. Her character's behavior just rings false for me.

The doc failing to save the universe one time doesn't tip the scales against the dozens of times they did, nor the billion smaller saves.

The cool thing wasn't the Doctor. It was the spaceship, and she was professional but engaged and excited about that. Her reaction to the Doctor was one of meeting the guy that used to do her job. She treated him like a peer, kind of like Liz Shaw did.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The cool thing wasn't the Doctor. It was the spaceship, and she was professional but engaged and excited about that. Her reaction to the Doctor was one of meeting the guy that used to do her job. She treated him like a peer, kind of like Liz Shaw did.

And you know she's had to spend long, agonising hours trying to decipher the Third Doctor's sparsely-written case reports on more than one occasion to look up crucial details from past crises which might have a bearing on current clusterfucks. You just know that he was a fiend for half-assing all the paperwork (and only even bothering to do that when the Brigadier made an especially sad face at him). Dude leaves that level of mess behind, the bloom is off the rose.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When your predecessor was cool as a cucumber while sword-battling the Master and eating a sandwich, that's how you act when you meet him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1730330885688377485

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Goblins! Yes!

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Oh my God this is amazing and I have SO MANY QUESTIONS about this entire album now...

Please oh please oh please use this for a future season's opening/closing...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Suddenly, goblins

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Matt Berry’s music is legit great. He’s a full blown serious rear end musician.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

lol that bizarre Christmas episode leak was spot on and I am all aboard for that ride

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nonsense cameos from slightly past their prime TV presenters? RTD really is back baby!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Since the Toymaker is back soon, I had a listen to Solitare, which is Charley's only appearance in the Companion Chronicles. In this two hander, Charley is trapped in a slowly collapsing shop with the Toymaker, playing a bizzare game.

India Fisher is great as usual, playing up Charley's frustration with the ever shifting rules. It's best to go into this one fresh, as it's a clever one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not even Davina McCall's first appearance, right? Wasn't she the host of Big Brother?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Since the Toymaker is back soon, I had a listen to Solitare, which is Charley's only appearance in the Companion Chronicles. In this two hander, Charley is trapped in a slowly collapsing shop with the Toymaker, playing a bizzare game.

India Fisher is great as usual, playing up Charley's frustration with the ever shifting rules. It's best to go into this one fresh, as it's a clever one.

I went to the moon and I took an ood but I did not take a slave.

It's really good, yeah. The reveal/non-reveal about game they're actually playing is very funny.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dabir posted:

It's not even Davina McCall's first appearance, right? Wasn't she the host of Big Brother?

Yeah, she voiced the DavinaDroid in Bad Wolf.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Slyphic posted:

It kind of half assed the whole new-doc post regen stuff with Tennant mostly just ignoring it with the two lines about "I guess I say that now" and it was lame. If you're not going to do it proper, just leave it for Ncuti.

It might be worth looking for the Children in Need short, Destination: Skaro. That's sorta where they put the 'post-regeneration wobblies' and immediate reactions this time, and I think it works.

It kinda sets up that '14' (I'm not committing to calling him that earnestly until we get Ncuti and learn if he really is) is... almost a little upset. Which I think is interesting, and it sort of reads that a regeneration has an element of excitement or anticipation to it for a Time Lord. That yeah, maybe saying goodbye to your last face and personality might be sad, but becoming someone new has its appeal and value... and so becoming someone you've already been feels like a goddamn ripoff.

Or maybe I'm letting my watchthrough of Deep Space Nine affect my approach, because that's basically the Trill.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I apologize in advance for the giant block of spoilered text. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

I have been avoiding the spoiler thread but I saw something on a Youtube video about the next episode. The video almost completely debunks it but it got me thinking if it were true where could they go with this? It's a casting spoiler but it got me thinking about story possibilities. If you don't want the (most likely not true) casting spoiler, don't click below. But besides that, everything else is speculation. If you've seen actual spoilers and I'm right, don't even tell me here, I more just want my mad fanfiction set down somewhere on the off chance I got any of it right.

So they say in the next episode, which has been completely under wraps by the production team, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi return as "Evil Doctors."

If true, I think RTD is going to retcon Stephen Moffat's retcon of the 10th Doctor 2.0 and tell his own version of how the Doctor gets s new set of regenerations after the first 12. And it starts with the biggest misdirection: This is NOT the 14th Doctor.

Imagine an altered timeline. Say in The Stolen Earth, the Doctor isn't fatally shot by the Dalek. That one moment could change everything. Without Donna becoming augmented into DoctorDonna, and no Human Doctor, he has to find another way to defeat Davros in Journey's End. He does, but Donna dies. Instead of him going off on his own saddened over having to erase her memory, it's because she's dead.

The events of the Specials go largely as normal. But he doesn't pull back from The Time Lord Victorious in :wom: .And when the Time Lords attempt to return in The End of Time, Mr. "I Don't Want To Go" doesn't...he sacrifices Wilf to save the world, because he has "so much more to do."

Now everything else radically changes. No TARDIS wrecking regeneration. No crashing into Amelia Pond's garden. He doesn't meet Amy and Rory. River is never born, or if she is she's a regular human baby without a Time Head. So much of Moffat's plots revolved around the Doctor and his friends causing universe ending peril. Now there's no Silence. No Madam Kovarian and Headless Monks. No Pandorica.

Without 11, even if 10 still got involved with War and The Moment, they probably wouldn't come up with the plan to save Gallifrey by faking it's destruction and hiding it. So Gallifrey is destroyed fr fr no cap, and the pain of the Doctor, making him more cold and cynical grows. Thus there's no cracks where the Time Lords try to return. No Trenzalore.

The Master, thrown back to Gallifrey at the last minutes of the Time War is killed with the rest. Simm's Master doesn't escape to the Mondasian ship. Doesn't die there and regenerate. No Missy. No Clara. No Me. No Dhawan Master. No Timeless Child reveal.

10 travels the universe alone for centuries, The Lonely God, never taking a Companion again. He has other adventures, saves other people and planets and the Universe in other ways. He ages naturally, but slowly as all Time Lords so--we saw this with 1 and 11. Something happens to merge the timelines, which is why he regenerated from 13 into his clothes--he wasn't actually regenerating, but occupying his "natural" place in his timestream as an unregenerated OG 10. The timelines are still in flux, which is how he could meet Donna again and Wilf was alive. He remembers being a "brilliant woman" but his memories start to fade, merge, get conflicted.

Eventually though, he would regenerate into versions of Smith and Capaldi, the "True" 12th and 13th Doctors, as War makes Tennant the 11th. Over time, these two incarnations became obsessed with extending their lives, finding a way to get more regenerations, and there's no Time Lords to hand them out like candy. 13 is basically The Valeyard at this point. And now they capture 10 and try to enlist him in their madness.

And who better to be behind this than a very old school villain of immense godlike power, who could alter the Doctor's timeline? The Toymaker.

Now of course, RTD will undo it all because he won't negate Smith, Capaldi, and Whittaker, Rory and Amy, River, Clara, etc. But he may merge the multiple timelines in such a way it leaves continuity ambiguous, so some things like the Timeless Child may or may not have occurred. A fresh slate, a soft reboot, a Season One where new fans can come in without all the previous canon weighing things down.

Also while having seen RTD, Moffat and Chibnall palling around last month I have no doubt they are good friends and united in their part of that limited fraternity of Doctor Who Showrunners, I can see Russell wanting to get cheeky with Moffat for being "greedy" and contriving to be the one to tell the Regeneration Cycle story by fudging the numbers and making 11 the last..."Hey, you got to do the 50th, wasn't that enough?" :haw:

Bananas, I know. It would be a lot to cover in a couple of specials. But if anyone could do a plot so ambitious it's Rusty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thinking about it like that, personally, I'd be embarrassed. All that "I don't want to go", and now I'm back?? Egg on my face, geez.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I don't even want to be around anymore...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

So they say in the next episode, which has been completely under wraps by the production team, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi return as "Evil Doctors."

Nope

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that doesn't jibe with what I've heard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In my experience, you can usually tell fake leaks by them reading less like a thing the people in charge would actually do, and more like what a particular type of fan would want to see happen. It's like how every single Nintendo Direct leak flops because you can immediatley tell exactly the era of Nintendo the person writing it grew up with, and how they never include the weird little sideline announcements of 'I guess that's for someone even if I don't know who'.

This is one of those, because the idea reads like a very specific type of Doctor Who fanfiction.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the people mentioned in that huge wall of spoiler text has said they have zero interest in ever revisiting their particular role, and from what I've read I don't get the impression that the words "unless I get the right script/amount of money" were lurking around unsaid.

The other person mentioned is likely tied up due to being cast in a big production on a major streaming service, so I'm guessing their ability to pop up in an episode of DW is very limited, to say the least.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that doesn't jibe with what I've heard.

what have you heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the people mentioned in that huge wall of spoiler text has said they have zero interest in ever revisiting their particular role, and from what I've read I don't get the impression that the words "unless I get the right script/amount of money" were lurking around unsaid.

The other person mentioned is likely tied up due to being cast in a big production on a major streaming service, so I'm guessing their ability to pop up in an episode of DW is very limited, to say the least.

Some people are hoping that Capaldi is lying, but I don't get the impression that he is. He did his time on the show and he's happy with it and doesn't want to do any more and that's perfectly fair. I would have loved to see his Doctor one more time but I don't think it's in the cards.

Smith could go either way.

Really I think that rumor doesn't hold much weight, but I am very curious as to why they are keeping aspects of this story so secret when it seems like the big thrils are The Giggle