Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Quote-Unquote posted:

they already solved the piracy problem! they made it possible to get content at an affordable price that made consumers happy and everyone started paying that price instead of pirating!

Then the movie studios went "haha no gently caress you pay us 4x as much for worse quality" and they can't figure out why subscriptions are dropping, while Elon Musk blames it on "woke".

It's not about "go woke, go broke" any more. I woke up to how broke I really am and canceled every monthly streaming subscription I had. Saved almost $200/mo with no meaningful difference in my quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Duck and Cover posted:

Yes I was. Blu-ray aren't convenient and you can download "not poo poo" quality easily. If you have hangups on the legality then lol whatever you can have your worse more expensive experience.

me setting up a VPN, finding a reliable tracker, downloading 4 copies of what I want hoping only 3 will be Hong Kong specials, clearing space off my hard drive, connecting my TV to the network, restarting the movie 4 times trying to turn off Czech closed captions: "wow, this is so much more convenient than inserting a disk and pressing play."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

me setting up a VPN, finding a reliable tracker, downloading 4 copies of what I want hoping only 3 will be Hong Kong specials, clearing space off my hard drive, connecting my TV to the network, restarting the movie 4 times trying to turn off Czech closed captions: "wow, this is so much more convenient than inserting a disk and pressing play."

You have to:

1) Get your car keys
2) Get your wallet
3) Get into the car
4) open the garage door
5) turn the car on
6) drive to the store
24) Buy the DVD
25) Get back into your car
98) extend your first finger
99) extend your thumb
100) pick up the bluray disc
125) finally watch the movie

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Re: Firefox talk, it really is the best major (though its market share is pretty dismal) browser available for desktops and Android. The worst things they've done in recent memory were
1) They hosed up tabs; turned them into floating buttons and worsened various little visual indicators such as the way to tell when a tab was playing sound. Same update deprecated compact view and made even now-unsupported compact view significantly less dense; non-compact now looks like a drat baby toy in comparison. Luckily fixable because at least Firefox still has customizability, but it was worrying in that it showed the Firefox team to be infected with designer brainworms and an urge to ape Chrome against users' wishes.
and
2) They also took a big old poo poo on download behavior for no goddamn reason. At least an option emerged to fix that, but still. Troubling.

Re: adblockers, uBlock Origin is great (and also works in Firefox on Android), but let me also shill for Blokada 5 as a system-wide blocker on Android. (6 appears to be some kind of subscription service so gently caress that; 4 is also great on devices as outdated as Android 4.2.) My apps are almost all fully ad-free.

Also alsø, sideloaded NewPipe on Android mitigates many of the annoyances of YouTube. Can download anything as video or audio only, too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cerekk posted:

lmao this makes clicking some buttons and typing some poo poo sound like you're hand-assembling and hand-soldering a late-70's kit computer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

You have to:

1) Get your car keys
2) Get your wallet
3) Get into the car
4) open the garage door
5) turn the car on
6) drive to the store
24) Buy the DVD
99) extend your thumb
I get the blu rays shipped right to me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Just do what I do and have a friend who has a seedbox hooked up to Plex and has semi-automated the download of basically every single movie and show in existence including new stuff coming out because she's unemployed and dealing with crippling anxiety and also maybe has a bit of a data hoarding problem

Data hoarding problem? Yeah I get that 32.1tb/36.8tb I should get more 18tb hard drives.

Cerekk posted:

I can be really dumb too. "me being buried alive in an avalanche of blu-ray discs trying to find my copy of Paul Blart Mall Cop". VPN is easy. Trackers are easy. You probably don't need 4 copies if you just download the most popular torrent. I could be wrong about that torrent thing I haven't used it in awhile as I have usenet setup.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 1, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

anonumos posted:

It's not about "go woke, go broke" any more. I woke up to how broke I really am and canceled every monthly streaming subscription I had. Saved almost $200/mo with no meaningful difference in my quality of life.

You could get a massage once a fortnight.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

MrQwerty posted:

lmao this makes clicking some buttons and typing some poo poo sound like you're hand-assembling and hand-soldering a late-70's kit computer

Clicking buttons can be easy, but lol at thinking people that tried to go legit a decade or two ago have any ideas which buttons to click any more

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

You have to:

1) Get your car keys
2) Get your wallet
3) Get into the car
4) open the garage door
5) turn the car on
6) drive to the store
24) Buy the DVD
99) extend your thumb

I have legit considered using the redbox rental unit next to the nearby Walgreens and ripping the DVDs but they never have anything worth watching.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentient Data posted:

Clicking buttons can be easy, but lol at thinking people that tried to go legit a decade or two ago have any ideas which buttons to click any more

vpns are apps that run and have quick connect buttons and qbittorent has the interface of a 20 year old XP program
you might have to page through a guide to set up a media server or go a bit deeper if you're setting up something a little more complex, but if you went legit 10-20 years ago after pirating in that era it's all pretty much the same poo poo as it always was except the interfaces are better

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 1, 2023

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

MrQwerty posted:

qbittorent has the interface of a 20 year old XP program

...and I love it for that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Atopian posted:

...and I love it for that.

yeah it's great, it does exactly what it says it does and hasn't changed the interface significantly from µTorrent 20 years ago.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Weirdos using new fangled technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Torrent sites to avoid: https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/wiki/megathread/unsafe-sites/

Torrent sites that are "safe": https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/wiki/megathread/all_purpose/

Use your best judgement. for games, rippers like fitgirl and dodi are usually safe and they have official accounts on l33tx which usually has more comments than most. Always read the comments.

Use a vpn.

Edit also use an adblocker obviously.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 1, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cerekk posted:

How the hell do you even post on a forum if using VLC is such a technological nightmare for you

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

no hes right torrents suck rear end except for the "free" and "one stop shop" parts

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got a RAV4 yesterday and it has the “you don’t own anything anymore” thing where you get a three year subscription to their app that runs all the technology then it’s $10 a month

I’m hoping in three years they’ll have dropped it or I can back my own car or something

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

I have legit considered using the redbox rental unit next to the nearby Walgreens and ripping the DVDs but they never have anything worth watching.

This just made me realize that even Redbox machines are scarce these days. They used to be at seemingly every convenience store and grocery store. Now I don’t even know where the nearest one is.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you plan to rip, go for blu ray. There's no such thing as a great deinterlacer

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

they changed the font on my phone's home screen and i hate it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This has been happening for years by now. But surely not just me?

1. I click on a search result on google.
2. I get redirected from the page I wanted to read to a localized site.
3. To the start page of the local site, not the page I was interested in.
4. Rage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's super common if I'm looking for an online store, pretty much one in two sites will try to forcibly kick me out of the product page I was looking for to "set up" my localized "experience" or some such bullshit. I blame Squarespace or whatever pre-built solution all these places obviously use

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Professor Shark posted:

I got a RAV4 yesterday and it has the “you don’t own anything anymore” thing where you get a three year subscription to their app that runs all the technology then it’s $10 a month

I’m hoping in three years they’ll have dropped it or I can back my own car or something

Jailbreaking your one-ton speed machine to be able to adjust the mirrors...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

What do they call that? I ask because I’m car shopping and I want to avoid this sort of thing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I have a 2023 RAV4 and don't have to pay anything for any of its features?

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Amazon Fire Stick experience is getting worse and worse, they now have autoplay ads when you boot the device up, which will play endlessly until you actively push a button. And there's multiple rows of sponsored suggested content, half of it ads for streaming services I'm not subscribed to, that you have to scroll through to get to the content you can actually access.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Quote-Unquote posted:

I swear you were arguing with me the other day for buying blu rays, which remains the only way of legally watching films at home in not-poo poo quality.

I have some great news for you!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

anonumos posted:

You could buy $200 of, say, Criterion Blu rays every month and probably have a much richer viewing experience, or the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Blind spot indicators and adaptive cruise are nice though

Adaptive cruise sounds nice.

Blind spot monitors make people even lazier and drivers put even less effort into situational awareness.

I've seen people's blind spot indicators light up as they attempt to change into a lane I'm already occupying.

Anyway, every article online seems to suck poo poo as they don't tell you what the subject is. It gets worse when the answer/point is tucked in 3 or more paragraphs into the article.

Back in the day, real newspaper:

quote:

CEO reports higher than expected earnings

Story tells you straight up in first paragraphs what it was.

Today, online:

quote:

CEO gives updates on earnings

It takes forever to get to it after they spend four paragraphs on other poo poo.

Anyway, you all know that. It's so bad, though, that I've resorted to using the Google AI to generate key points. Which, is actually kinda effective.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

big mean giraffe posted:

I have a 2023 RAV4 and don't have to pay anything for any of its features?

I have a 23 Camry as well and not sure either what they’re referring to

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Also adaptive cruise control rules

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I, on the other hand, hate adaptive cruise. If I set it at 75, I want it to stay there. I can adjust manually.

But with adaptive, if I'm not paying attention, I'm slowing down to 70 because there's a truck in my lane 100 feet ahead.

Does anyone know if you can turn Adaptive CC off, and just have regular CC

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

are you trying to ram the truck

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OP should be able to tailgate the truck if he wants to.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You can just turn that feature off on my car but why would you lol it’s so great

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

His Divine Shadow posted:

This has been happening for years by now. But surely not just me?

1. I click on a search result on google.
2. I get redirected from the page I wanted to read to a localized site.
3. To the start page of the local site, not the page I was interested in.
4. Rage.

This also drives me nuts and it's way worse if you're outside the US and keep getting redirected to your country's page.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

are you trying to ram the truck

No, but I will pass him.

I admit adaptive CC would be great if you're just gonna chill.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

You can just turn that feature off on my car but why would you lol it’s so great

What brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

No, but I will pass him.

I admit adaptive CC would be great if you're just gonna chill.

if you change lanes to the left while in a-cruise, doesn't it speed back up?