Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is that book any good? It’s $15 on Amazon but apparently it’s under 100 pages? There’s an “unofficial” one on Amazon that’s pushing 300 pages too, for $20.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Basebf555 posted:

Did my yearly rewatch today. Something I thought about this time was how during the Twinkie scene, Ray's mention of a possible "four fold cross-rift" actually does sound like a term that would describe exactly what ends up happening with Gozer's entry into our world at the end. Like, Gozer is crossing over into our world from the fourth dimension via a rift opened by the Gatekeeper and Keymaster. A four fold cross-rift.

It's good writing, it's a partially nonsense term but it does sound like something that would be in Tobin's Spirit Guide if it were a real book.

It’s the same with all the ghost descriptors. The library ghost being a ‘full torso vaporous apparition’ sounds just like a pre-existing classification and identification system they’re all subscribing to.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is that book any good? It’s $15 on Amazon but apparently it’s under 100 pages? There’s an “unofficial” one on Amazon that’s pushing 300 pages too, for $20.

The artwork is great, and it just fleshes out the background to a majority of the ghosts from the movies and the cartoon. There's an entry on the Sloar that Louis mentions during his monologue to Egon for example. Is it worth $15? I'd say no, but definitely see if you can find it cheaper

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 1, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The artwork is great, and it just fleshes out the background to a majority of the ghosts from the movies and the cartoon. There's an entry on the Sloar that Louis mentions during his monologue to Egon for example. Is it worth $15? I'd say no, but definitely see if you can find it cheaper

Is it the same Sloar as in the game?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Alas, I'd have to replay the game to find out. Weekend plans for me then!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember the one in the game is labelled ‘Juvenile Sloar’ and is a very generic looking beastie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If Ackroyd had his way the entire script would have been “four-fold cross rifts” and “vaporous apparitions.”

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Janine was eating Egon's pussy under the desk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This came in the mail today for my Ghostbusters proton pack.

Bonus points if you can decode the serial number.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xenomrph posted:

It has the Fearsome Flush in it.

The art is good, and it has some fun in universe descriptions for the ghosts. Fifteen bucks is a fair price.

I got the one with the green variant cover from a book exchange.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

It has the Fearsome Flush in it.

Amazing. :allears:

gregday
May 23, 2003

That licensed version of Tobin’s Spirit Guide is fun but a bit goofy. It has an entry for Ray’s dream BJ ghost.

If you want a fully authentic, believably in-universe Tobin’s Spirit Guide, and can wait a few months, Indy Magnoli is making one that’s around 500 pages, leather bound, and completely serious and credible as a book would have been released in the 1920’s (I.e. Stay Puft is not in it). It’s going to be pricey, likely in the $200-300 range, but it’s probably going to be the one to get.

https://www.magnoliprops.com/tobin-s-spirit-guide-interest-journals-p-731.html

Full disclosure, my wife is volunteering her time as an editor on this, and we’ve been reading through her copy of the text this week and it is AMAZING.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't suppose there is any chance of a "priced not for insane people" digital PDF version or something, huh?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

I don't suppose there is any chance of a "priced not for insane people" digital PDF version or something, huh?

I see you’re unfamiliar with gregday and his wares

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Boy, no love at all for the Spates Catalog, huh?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Magnoli is regularly too expensive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Splint Chesthair posted:

Boy, no love at all for the Spates Catalog, huh?

Not even in the movie.

Ray: Spates Catalogue...
Egon: Tobin's Spirit Guide.

But now I'm struggling to remember if either was ever mentioned again. Did Egon mention it in the jail?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tobin’s Spirit Guide was brought up a lot in RGB.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not even in the movie.

Ray: Spates Catalogue...
Egon: Tobin's Spirit Guide.

But now I'm struggling to remember if either was ever mentioned again. Did Egon mention it in the jail?

I’m pretty sure that exchange is the only time either book is mentioned in the movie. But for some reason the cartoon latched onto Tobin’s Spirit Guide as the be-all end-all reference material. Probably because the title tells you exactly what it is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Where does the widely known version of the cover come from? The one that's just the title in a nice typeface.

Is that from the cartoon, or?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Where does the widely known version of the cover come from? The one that's just the title in a nice typeface.

Is that from the cartoon, or?

The cartoon version is just a black book with a gold blackletter T on the cover.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Splint Chesthair posted:

I’m pretty sure that exchange is the only time either book is mentioned in the movie. But for some reason the cartoon latched onto Tobin’s Spirit Guide as the be-all end-all reference material. Probably because the title tells you exactly what it is.

Actually, no. In the prison...

Egon: "The architect was named Ivo Shandor; I found it in Tobin's Spirit Guide..."

Also, Tobin himself is a character in Spirits Unleashed.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Xenomrph posted:

I have a copy and its fun, and certainly presented as a neat companion piece for fans. I wouldn't say its a serious tome by any measure, but its kind of a neat coffee table sort of book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao I found the obligatory gatekeeping toxic shithead in a Ghostbusters Facebook group.

He’s poo poo-talking Hasbro Haslab products (including products that aren’t out yet!) and being a screen-accuracy snob… in a Facebook group very specifically dedicated to taking Haslab products and customizing and modifying them to not be screen-accurate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Lmao I found the obligatory gatekeeping toxic shithead in a Ghostbusters Facebook group.

He’s poo poo-talking Hasbro Haslab products (including products that aren’t out yet!) and being a screen-accuracy snob… in a Facebook group very specifically dedicated to taking Haslab products and customizing and modifying them to not be screen-accurate.

If it's just a one, that's a fantastic ratio. Most of the FB groups I've looked in for various related nerdy interests non-toxic douches are the norm.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dawgstar posted:

If it's just a one, that's a fantastic ratio. Most of the FB groups I've looked in for various related nerdy interests non-toxic douches are the norm.

He seems to be the only one I’ve seen, the rest of the group is super supportive about sharing ideas, showing off their work and how they did it, asking and answering questions, etc.

And then there’s this tool, who threw a fit that people were custom building something from the Haslab video. When someone told him to go touch grass and reminded him that he puts on a proton pack and calls himself a ghostbuster, he responded with “actually I just put on a ghostbusters costume, I do not call myself a ghostbuster”

Like motherfucker when I suit up I absolutely am a bona-fide ghostbuster and will refer to myself as such. When I wore my poo poo to work, everyone called me a ghostbuster and thought I was the real deal.

“Um excuse me, no, I am a regular person wearing a costume from a movie”

Get the gently caress outta here with that noise. :fuckoff:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I backed the Hasbro trap/pke meter. I had no choice after watching Adam Savage's video

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve backed two. One for me and one to sell to pay for both. :ohdear:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't wait to whizz that trap along the floor. They've really gone all out!

In the video, they keep talking about fan mods. I get that for proton packs, but these seem 100% authentic. What mods do you think people will add to them?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't wait to whizz that trap along the floor. They've really gone all out!

In the video, they keep talking about fan mods. I get that for proton packs, but these seem 100% authentic. What mods do you think people will add to them?

Smoke emitters are at the top of a lot of people’s lists for the trap.
In a Q&A with the community someone asked if doing a mod like that was possible, and the Hasbro rep said “Legally we do not endorse or encourage putting smoke emitters in your traps, however the trap was designed with a vacant gap which is large enough to accommodate certain hardware.”

https://youtu.be/QdYlkxQPYac?si=u8IlydbMZOcoccEo

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have a bunch of real (same original part) mods on my Matty trap I might move over to the Haslab trap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I truly appreciate Hasbro actively thinking of the modding community. I probably won’t do anything, but it’s nice that that’s even a consideration.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I truly appreciate Hasbro actively thinking of the modding community. I probably won’t do anything, but it’s nice that that’s even a consideration.

Agreed. It's nice to see a company that has put so much thought into these toys. They've literally thought of everything

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Vaping with my ghost trap

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just noticed that Danny has a new show on the History Channel. Given his obsessions with the paranormal it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYuzO15CXDs

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

He seems to be the only one I’ve seen, the rest of the group is super supportive about sharing ideas, showing off their work and how they did it, asking and answering questions, etc.

And then there’s this tool, who threw a fit that people were custom building something from the Haslab video. When someone told him to go touch grass and reminded him that he puts on a proton pack and calls himself a ghostbuster, he responded with “actually I just put on a ghostbusters costume, I do not call myself a ghostbuster”

Like motherfucker when I suit up I absolutely am a bona-fide ghostbuster and will refer to myself as such. When I wore my poo poo to work, everyone called me a ghostbuster and thought I was the real deal.

“Um excuse me, no, I am a regular person wearing a costume from a movie”

Get the gently caress outta here with that noise. :fuckoff:

This is sadly very common in my experience, people focus on screen accuracy and resent others having fun with it. One of my favourite things about doing Ghostbusters Cosplay is how ripe for creativity the whole concept is!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guess who’s back?

https://twitter.com/ghostbusters/status/1734344828731666913

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Just a friendly reminder that if you were holding off on jumping in on the HasLab PKE Meter & Trap crowdfunding campaign until the end, you have about 2 hours and 50 minutes left as of this post to jump in on it. The deadline is 11:59 PM Eastern tonight.