Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fishy Flip posted:

Hadn't considered that. It's hard to tell, she's fighting them in the dark with brief flashes of light that aren't really explained. Could be Mizu drifting in and out of consciousness while still continuing to fight.
I like this theory, that's probably what's going on.

Consider that Taigen, a prisoner, was also lying in the same cells as the 'zombies'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They were definitely prisoners, but I think that she was probably right to believe that they were willingly ('willingly') serving as Heiji's attack dogs. He seems like the sort of guy who makes sure you understand your assignment.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
They were torture victims, taigan was only able to resist being broken because he's near mizu's level of badassery. They weren't zombies, but they were trying to kill mizu, imo

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Those people were part of the traps so they were probably told if their cages are ever opened and they don't attack whoever is in the hallway they will be killed. I'm also assuming they were told if one of them kills the intruder they will go free. It would probably be a lie but would give sufficient motivation to rush a samurai while unarmed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's funny to think that in a milieu where you usually have a castle that is designed to withstand frontal assault by an army and it gets infiltrated by a single person who can evade the traps, instead here you have a castle that is specifically designed to withstand infiltration by a single stealthy person, with trap after trap after trap, all targeted at an individual. And she still gets through

I guess this wouldn't be the first time by a long shot, but this really throws it into relief.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy BES quite a bit but the writing isn’t exceptional to me or anything. It’s perfectly serviceable, but not fantastic. Of course many other parts about it are great! Love the visuals but the style keeps reminding me of the movie Klaus so if you haven’t seen that I highly recommend it (plus it’s almost the season for it!)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, Mizu's whole thing is that people are only probably not being literal when they call her a demon. She really is touching the edge of being an actual onryo, fuelled by hate and betrayal to become something approaching a force of nature. Kind of like how Fowler is, prosaically speaking, just a big mean clever Irish dude, but is also satanic as all gently caress in his impossible appetites, his impossible cruelty, and his impossible genius.

The "Fowler=Satan" bit really gets hammered in with the chapel scene. His little one-way chat with the crucifix is just dripping with "Satan tempting Christ" energy. Even his name sort of invokes Satan in a way: Fowler, aka fouler, as in "the one who makes things foul", aka our boy Lucifer Morningstar.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I'm watching scavengers reign and the art style is really evocative of a concept artist I stumbled across a few years back that I can't find again. Hoping someone might have seen it and know who I'm talking about.
The art was themed around tribes in a sci-fi/sci-fantasy world and there were a lot of vehicles of a similar theme - full sphere wheel bikes, wind skiffs, and the like. I also distinctly remember a piece where there were sort of cavalry mounted on bugs that looked like they'd fit right into scav.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could be Moebius’ concept art for Jodorowsky’s Dune?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I did read a few Reddit posts that suggested the art was similar to Moebius but it's less... busy? The artist I'm thinking of used a lot less finer detailing on things, which makes me feel like they could almost be stills straight out of scav or another animation.
They were definitely concept art though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The new season of Big Mouth has an episode that heavily features/takes place "in" Reddit and paints it as a supportive and informative place (albeit with a pernicious nazi infestation problem)

That could have been us lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

The new season of Big Mouth has an episode that heavily features/takes place "in" Reddit and paints it as a supportive and informative place (albeit with a pernicious nazi infestation problem)

That could have been us lol

I'd rather this site be constantly one breath away from dying like it is than a hub for unabashed Nazis like Reddit, 4chan and Twitter are :colbert:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd rather this site be constantly one breath away from dying like it is than a hub for unabashed Nazis like Reddit, 4chan and Twitter are :colbert:

:same:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

nine-gear crow posted:

a good ethos to have

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Binged Scavenger's Reign, Fiona and Cake, and Scott Pilgrim over the holiday. All great, though the writing in Scott Pilgrim felt like its quality dropped hard after the first half—but still fun.

I'd totally nuke the Scavengers planet from orbit, though. It's the only way to be sure.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Spiteski posted:

I did read a few Reddit posts that suggested the art was similar to Moebius but it's less... busy? The artist I'm thinking of used a lot less finer detailing on things, which makes me feel like they could almost be stills straight out of scav or another animation.
They were definitely concept art though.
Not sure this is related but Scavenger's Reign's whole visual style reminds me of Sable. Maybe that's not what you're thinking of but it's definitely got a lot of the same DNA. I initially thought the show was related because the styles were so similar Sable is about a character coming of age in a civilization that's descended from stranded astronauts, on a planet with a strange and indifferent ecosystem! The main character gets a hover bike which can look a lot like Azi's bike.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're both riffing on Moebius and 70's french animation.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Finding Archer again and gently caress does this voice cast still knock everything out of the park. Cringe comedy is so hit or miss for me. I enjoyed I Think You Should Leave ridiculously so more recently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The "Fowler=Satan" bit really gets hammered in with the chapel scene. His little one-way chat with the crucifix is just dripping with "Satan tempting Christ" energy. Even his name sort of invokes Satan in a way: Fowler, aka fouler, as in "the one who makes things foul", aka our boy Lucifer Morningstar.

On the topic of Fowler and the supernatural, notice that at various points in the series he's portrayed alongside a bull and a spider. Taken together, those have fearsome connotations in Japanese folklore.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Not sure this is related but Scavenger's Reign's whole visual style reminds me of Sable. Maybe that's not what you're thinking of but it's definitely got a lot of the same DNA. I initially thought the show was related because the styles were so similar Sable is about a character coming of age in a civilization that's descended from stranded astronauts, on a planet with a strange and indifferent ecosystem! The main character gets a hover bike which can look a lot like Azi's bike.

This isn't what I am thinking of, but it is freakin gorgeous so I'm going to check this out anyway.

I'll keep trucking along with my bad google-fu and see if I can turn up what I am thinking of. Could be a fever dream but them's the breaks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd totally nuke the Scavengers planet from orbit, though. It's the only way to be sure.

I have a feeling that everything in the Scavenger's Realm universe is pretty horrible

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Binged Scavenger's Reign, Fiona and Cake, and Scott Pilgrim over the holiday. All great, though the writing in Scott Pilgrim felt like its quality dropped hard after the first half—but still fun.

When one of the creators talked about a "big swing" in the final episode I briefly considered that it might be an Alien/Prometheus tie-in. The mutagenic black goo wouldn't have been out of place in that ecosystem...though maybe it's not weird enough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

When one of the creators talked about a "big swing" in the final episode I briefly considered that it might be an Alien/Prometheus tie-in. The mutagenic black goo wouldn't have been out of place in that ecosystem...though maybe it's not weird enough.

Was there a big swing in the final episode? I guess the Koyaanisqatsi montage of the planet forming and life evolving was really great, but it and everything else is of a piece with the earlier episodes. It’s very satisfying in that way, really.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Big swing is a bit of an oversell. There were definitely some unexpected developments in the finale though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still doing a rewatch of Adventure Time and I thought it was funny how in the run up to Islands they remembered that Finn is immune to electricity.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I just finished the Stakes episodes, I remember hearing complaints about them back in the day but I thought it was a really fun ride. Plus it was nice seeing PB/Marceline actually having intimate moments (in that I didn't expect a CN show to let it slide ).

On a related note I started going through the first AT thread out of curiosity and wow, things got a bit heated when What Was Missing aired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Only thing about Stakes that I thought was kind of iffy was how Marceline gets turned again at the very end.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

On a related note I started going through the first AT thread out of curiosity and wow, things got a bit heated when What Was Missing aired.

What?! That's one of my favorite episodes. What's there to be mad about?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fishy Flip posted:

What?! That's one of my favorite episodes. What's there to be mad about?

A lot of people insisted, like a lot of people always do, that there was no reason to believe that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum had a romantic relationship and that anybody who sees one there was just reading things into the narrative that aren't there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

Only thing about Stakes that I thought was kind of iffy was how Marceline gets turned again at the very end.

Yeah that hit me a little weird too. It's like, in this show, where literally everything is an obscure callback, you're going to do a status-quo/universe-reset??

I'm someone who finds vampire and zombie stuff really tiresome though and I expected to hate Stakes but it was real good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is Marceline still a vampire by the end of the show or does she eventually get turned back for real?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think the Everything Stays song in Stakes really threads the needle nicely of like “the status quo reset but the journey we took to get back here was important.” Just a tight little character arc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I think is goofy is how the Bmo/Jake exchange about Chips & Ice Cream has been making the rounds as a Tik Tok sound.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the bacon pancakes mashup was big. John DiMaggio makes for good viral soundbites.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
I just finished scavengers reign.

dude. holy gently caress. i can't even say anything.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I forget, is Marceline still a vampire by the end of the show or does she eventually get turned back for real?

Still a vampire. Which is for the best honestly. PB taking care of an old and doddering Marceline was cute but sad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's something very funny about how after Islands there's exactly one (1) episode with the old opening before going into Elements.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
New Aqua Teen is on point. The only complaint I have is that the remixed theme song is kind of a downgrade.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Phat Phingers posted:

I just finished scavengers reign.

dude. holy gently caress. i can't even say anything.

I've watched 9 episodes and held off on another tonight because it's so good that I want to savor it. Good lord what a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the Suicide Squad anime:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TtwBgQ82Pls