Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Silver Falcon posted:

Better than Pokemon, you say? I was already intrigued by this game but now I am extra intrigued.

How does it compare to Monster Hunter Stories? I absolutely adore that game.

And actually another question, this one is a sequel to other Dragon Quest Monsters games right? Some/none(?) of them were released outside Japan? Does playing this one require any prior knowledge of the series?

The first 2 DQM games were for the GBC, and were very loosely connected in that the 2nd game (which was released in 2 versions a la Pokémon) is set in the same world as the first and takes place after. The protagonist of DQM 1 is a secret final boss of DQM2. Also apparently protag of DQM1 is a side character in one of the mainline DQ games, and DQM1 is his backstory?

DQM 1/2 got 3D remakes for the 3DS, which look awesome, but significantly change some of the gameplay mechanics, such as placing restrictions on the monsters you are allowed to use until you progress the story (the originals you could recruit any monster you could defeat and had the meat to bribe them with). I was not a fan of the changes at all.

Then there is DQM Caravan Heart which never released in the US, and I'm not sure if it's fan translation ever got completed. It's gameplay was pretty much there same as DQM 1/2, but I don't think it was tied to the story at all.

After that you have the DQM Joker games, which have very different tone, story, setting, translations, and gameplay. I strongly disliked them for the changes from the original games. The translation in particular I found embarrassingly cringe inducing, but apparently it's the style that the mainline DQ games have been using since like DQ4? I dunno, I just didn't like them at all. The protagonists were lame, the story was lame, etc. But I completely acknowledge that as DQM 1/2 were foundational games from my childhood I'm extremely biased.

I've only players some of the demo of the new game, but so far the protagonist is much less lame, the premise is better, and the graphics are great. I'm assuming the translation will be grating and dumb, but I'll just have to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid puns are foundational to the Dragon Quest experience

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Was able to play a little DQ:M this morning. First little bit already had some very powerful accents so that's a good sign. Big fan.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ImpAtom posted:

Stupid puns are foundational to the Dragon Quest experience

Wait there are people who don't like the puns in Dragon Quest? :confused:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't mind the puns at all.

What I don't like are the immensely cringe terms used for the various spells and attacks.

Frizz, Kafrizz, Kaboomle, Zing... They're just so stupid, especially since the original DQM games used perfectly normal words like Blaze, Vivify, Fireball, etc.

Also, the player being a "Monster Master" is less lame than "Monster Wrangler", and "Recruiting" monsters is less lame than "scouting" them.

And then there's just the weird change of "breeding" the monsters to "combining" them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't think why they'd want to avoid the term 'breeding' lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Annath posted:

What I don't like are the immensely cringe terms used for the various spells and attacks.

Frizz, Kafrizz, Kaboomle, Zing... They're just so stupid, especially since the original DQM games used perfectly normal words like Blaze, Vivify, Fireball, etc.

Also, the player being a "Monster Master" is less lame than "Monster Wrangler", and "Recruiting" monsters is less lame than "scouting" them.

Yeah but those are boring as hell.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the onomatopoeia names I just think theyre neat

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What does actually suck about DQ movesets is that there's no indication about which one is better than another. Like, there'll be an attack that will hit all enemies with a kick and another that will swipe at all the enemies with a flurry of blows, and yet another that'll whiplash all enemies or whatever. It's the primary reason I put combat on automatic mode in DQXI, I couldn't be arsed to figure out which was better to use in a given situation.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Annath posted:

And then there's just the weird change of "breeding" the monsters to "combining" them.

I agree the spell names are kind of silly but I also appreciate the effort to sound a bit different. Those names stick in my brain better than Bufu/Zio/Agi from SMT at least. And I still can't wrap my head around what the stat boosters are called.

As for Monster Wrangler and scout... I think that just might be a you thing my man. Those seem fine to me and functionally identical to the old words.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

That is because those spell names are more accurate to Dragon Quest. That isn't a translation mistake. The Japanese spell names are onomatopoeia and puns

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 1, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In a monster RPG I don't really want to fuse or breed them, that's so tedious to me. Just give me monsters I catch and maybe they transform if you level them up. Don't make me work a job.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In a monster RPG I don't really want to fuse or breed them, that's so tedious to me. Just give me monsters I catch and maybe they transform if you level them up. Don't make me work a job.

You can just play Pokemon in that case, there's quite a few of them. I actually like the depth here as a contrast.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/misterduby/status/1730576931169423486?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waluigi is the better design by far

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Morpheus posted:

You can just play Pokemon in that case, there's quite a few of them. I actually like the depth here as a contrast.

But you breed Pokemon too? Though I guess there's less need to do that in ScarVi, but it's still a pretty big mechanic.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Annath posted:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m a bit too epic for games with silly words in them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest would never have attacks with silly names

Like can you imagine an attack called Strash? (Strike + Slash?)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest would never have attacks with silly names

Like can you imagine an attack called Strash? (Strike + Slash?)

BLOODY SCRYDE

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I do think the names are an issue if the menus don't indicate what they do

I also like FIRE2 more than FIRAGA or whatever for the same reason so I might just be a grognard

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

hmmm. I hate her

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Is it me or do the graphics in DQM3 look awful, was this orginally a mobile game?
How's the gameplay, is there more QOL stuff then the originals?
I love me some DQ and monsters, played the DS game to death.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/oliemack/status/1730600956637945954

shocking absolutely nobody, it looks like arkham knight on switch suffers big time from lazy devitis :(

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I get that they're more accurate to the mainline names.

I think the mainline DQ games are full of lame names.

Puns are fine, but the puns they use are lame.

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

Like, come on, those don't sound dumb to you?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Waluigi gave Peach a Hot Topic gift card and it snowballed from there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
do you know any adjectives other than “lame”

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

Waluigi is the better design by far

Yeah, Waluigi had an excellent design. This one's just pretty boring. Can't say we missed much.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Annath posted:

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

What is your opinion on Sham Hatwitch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's a game that gave us a monster that's a spear-wielding, dancing cucumber named Cruelcumber. You're getting goofy rear end names.

They even have a reoccurring town that speaks on haiku.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was not aware Haiku Town was a running gag

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I was not aware Haiku Town was a running gag

Me neither, but apparently it originated from III which, yeah, definitely makes sense if you’re trying to do regional accents and run across the problem that presents when you reach “Jipang”.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

I didn't want to use "loving stupid".

And Sham Hatwich is, uh, I honestly don't know.

I guess I would just prefer fewer, higher quality puns, rather than "we're making as many things puns as possible".

Look I only brought it up because someone asked about the other games and I wanted to offer my honest thoughts. What's the benefit of saying I think they're all awesome if that's not what I actually think?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please stop feeding the boomer

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Looper posted:

please stop feeding the boomer

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oxxidation posted:

I don't

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Annath posted:

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

Those are all great, actually.

(And it was me who asked about other DQ games and I appreciate your insights. We will just have violent disagreements about puns, it seems.)

Also I did not know that the spell names are meant to be onomatopoeia. That honestly makes a lot of sense and I'm fine with that. I especially liked Veronica in DQ11 going "Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrizz" and making finger guns when she casts the spell. Dragon Quest is good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Annath posted:

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

They're dumb but that's the point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

Yes, they sound goofy, but that's fine! They're supposed to sound goofy! The names are goofy jokes a lot of the time.

Like Akira Toriyama is the main artist, and while he's known for Dragonball Z, he cut his teeth on comedy and gag stuff and in fact Dragonball is still a lot of that, where almost every major character's name is either a goofy pun or a mythological reference or sometimes both. The very visual design is supposed to be a mix of goofy and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Annath posted:

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

those are all great, Batatouille especially

i bet you dont like the great pixar film as well