Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anybody have any luck installing Viva New Vegas in Linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

LividLiquid posted:

Yep, it took a bit with the deck because I had no prior Linux experience but I might be able to help out.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

LividLiquid posted:

Yep, I played through the whole game + DLCs this way a few months ago. It was kind of a chore to set up (noting that I'm a colossal dumbass) but once I got it going it broke exactly one time when I got the infinite loading bug trying to fast travel somewhere. Other than that it was flawless.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How'd y'all do it? I can't even figure out how to install mod manager in the Proton prefix.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd done it before on PC so it wasn't too bad. Just had to remember how to get to the NV folder and I was pretty slow there.

Gotta have hidden folders visible, and the directory for me was home/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Fallout New Vegas

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How did you install mod manager in the Proton prefix? Whenever I try, it installs to my default Wine Prefix in home/.wine.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

How did you install mod manager in the Proton prefix? Whenever I try, it installs to my default Wine Prefix in home/.wine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wjdfy8/guide_6_steps_to_installing_mod_organizer_2/

This was what I followed for that part. In one of my attempts I forgot to do this step and it was certainly frustrating.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I'm stalled out on this at the point where I need to install the BSA Decompressor into the Proton prefix for New Vegas. It says there's not enough disk space available and requires 8 GB. My drive has far more than that available. Any advice would be appreciated.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

So I'm stalled out on this at the point where I need to install the BSA Decompressor into the Proton prefix for New Vegas. It says there's not enough disk space available and requires 8 GB. My drive has far more than that available. Any advice would be appreciated.

First response here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xnw6ce/mod_installer_wants_8gb_free_space/

Doesn't MO2 have a decompressor built in? It's been a while, but I don't recall having to install it in my last run but that was a few years ago.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you. Maybe I'm using an old guide. Is this the current one?

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

That looks right, changelog has it updated through this year.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/83119

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/83096

Insane! I love these little immersion touches that quietly blow the doors off what anyone thought the engine was capable of when the game came out

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah. Those are real impressive. They do kind of get annoying once you’ve used them for a while, though, sadly.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Its opinion on the BSA Decompressor: "Decompresses BSA files to reduce loading times and stuttering. Can also fix certain sound effects not playing."

I don't know if that's newly accepted wisdom but I've never run with the game's default BSA files decompressed, when I first played it or any of the 4-5 times since including like a year or two ago. It's not required by any stretch.

Skip it for now and revisit if you're seeing large macro stutters.

VNV is a good source for mods for a base install but it's also very opinionated, much like STEP for Skyrim. Like STEP, I always start by looking at it but skip the stuff I'm not interested in and add other things and don't bother at all about doing all it suggests.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Yeah. Those are real impressive. They do kind of get annoying once you’ve used them for a while, though, sadly.

Yeah, i think the little quest item flourish is probably the only one i’d keep on; makes these things feel a bit more special. There’s one that adds far cry style animal skinning animations too which i’m not exactly crying out for but still really neat

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm using a similar mod in my current Skyrim playthrough, and you're 100% correct.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm suddenly getting the itch to play NV again, but it's been ~8 years since I last played it. I've looked over the viva new vegas guide, but still have some questions. Are ENBs still a thing? I vaguely recall Nevada Skies being associated with ENBs, but I don't remember exactly how.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I'm suddenly getting the itch to play NV again, but it's been ~8 years since I last played it. I've looked over the viva new vegas guide, but still have some questions. Are ENBs still a thing? I vaguely recall Nevada Skies being associated with ENBs, but I don't remember exactly how.

from the visuals page: "ENBs may make for pretty screenshots, but they are near-impossible to play with due to the many bugs, performance problems and vision-obscuring effects they use."

VNV has a pretty good less is more approach to things these days for actually playing the game. The days of stuff like ENBs and Project Nevada are thankfully far gone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arivia posted:

VNV has a pretty good less is more approach to things these days for actually playing the game. The days of stuff like ENBs and Project Nevada are thankfully far gone.

Is there a functional replacement for Project Nevada? I liked the ability to tweak things like xp gain on the fly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Is there a functional replacement for Project Nevada? I liked the ability to tweak things like xp gain on the fly.

Stewie's Tweaks does that, I'm pretty sure. I know that PN is just really, really dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I couldn't remember the name of it but Stewie's tweaks let's you adjust a poo poo ton of things

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Paracelsus posted:

Pretty much every part of PN has been split off into its own, better made thing by this point. Most of them are actually in the VNV guide last I checked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Pretty much every part of PN has been split off into its own, better made thing by this point. Most of them are actually in the VNV guide last I checked.

Yeah, there's a section in the Viva New Vegas guide called "mods to avoid" and it has a subsection on Project Nevada listing every mod that does the individual funtions of Project Nevada, but is actually up to date.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/avoid-mods.html

One thing I'll mention, is for balance tweeks use Stewie's Tweaks over Ultimate JSawyer, it has a lot more options and Ultimate JSawyer changes a lot of other things and while I wouldn't call it a bad mod, it shouldn't be called that, because it changes a lot of things Josh Sawyer didn't want to change when he made the original JSawyer mod, (If you somehow don't know Josh Sawyer was the director of New Vegas and posts here under the name ropekid). Call it the Alan Smithee mod or something.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Stewie's Tweaks isn't really a balance overhaul. If you want only the stuff rope kid put in his mod but don't want to use the original, the biggest curmundgeon in modding, RoyBatterian, made a version of it both for TTW and FNV main game.

For the record, I do like JSawyer Ultimate, I've turned off the stupid varmint rifle change, but it definitely has a whole bunch of extraneous stuff that should probably have been its own mod, and it should be called something different. But in terms of like... consumable additional changes and stuff like that, I didn't see anything particularly egregious in the changelog.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Stewie's Tweaks isn't really a balance overhaul. If you want only the stuff rope kid put in his mod but don't want to use the original, the biggest curmundgeon in modding, RoyBatterian, made a version of it both for TTW and FNV main game.

For the record, I do like JSawyer Ultimate, I've turned off the stupid varmint rifle change, but it definitely has a whole bunch of extraneous stuff that should probably have been its own mod, and it should be called something different. But in terms of like... consumable additional changes and stuff like that, I didn't see anything particularly egregious in the changelog.

The one thing I do dislike in JSUE is where it hides the DLC packs, particularly the one with the canteen, because that's not actually documented anywhere but the comments for like the mod just before it in the modding family tree so it's a gently caress to google and figure out.

e: in other words, moving the DLC packs is good, I just wish there was a better resource for where they were.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Getting the jsawyer changes through any source is better than mucking with balance yourself, it does a great job of making the game challenging - even over the long haul.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Trying to resurrect Lombard Station from the Stygian abyss since I still had the fomod floating around, I can enter the cave, but there's no prompt for what I recall as using dynamite to bust open the rest of the area. If it was the mushroom cluster I was supposed to interact with, I don't get a prompt. I've already been to Jean's and got the diary entry from there. Any suggestions? I have it fairly late in my load order, the stuff after it is weather and radio stuff.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Did you go to the skydiving place first? I think that activates the invisible quest to open the place up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Did you go to the skydiving place first? I think that activates the invisible quest to open the place up.

Yeah, I went to Jean's Skydiving and got the map marker to appear.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Bit of a longshot, but does anybody remember a mod that turns that crate outside of the general store in goodsprings into a super compact player home? I've been looking around for it, but haven't been having any luck finding it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Goodsprings Dumpster Home?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Nah wasn't that one, it was a tiny separate cell player home accessed from the big wooden crate that basically just had enough room to stand up in. Might be lost at this point tbh, I found it originally a long time ago, but enjoyed it as a funny starter home for before I got to the sink.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Qolore7, the main person behind Viva New Vegas, has released a new modding guide called Blue Moon. While VNV is meant to be a lightweight "vanilla plus" experience, Blue Moon is supposed to feel more like a "remaster", which is to say it's VNV with better visuals.

I haven't tried it myself yet and the list is still being actively edited, but from the selection of mods included it looks pretty promising. It'll probably be what I go for next time.

It doesn't seem to include my favorite flavor mod, B42 Descriptions aka Pip Boy Info, which adds item descriptions to everything in the game, but that one's easy enough to add on top (make sure to grab B42 Descriptions Revised if you want to try it yourself).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Esoteric question which I figured I may as well ask before going through the tedious troubleshooting process: is there a mod or combination of mods which is known to cause shotguns and only shotguns to have no muzzle flash when firing?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

How Many Times I Got Hit Misc Stat

Miscellaneous stat that tracks how many times, and where, you've been hit.

Amusingly you apparently start with a "1" in the head, appropriately. Although it triggers the nerd in me because The Forecaster, Lanius and characters in Old World Blues make mention of you getting two bullets in the head from Benny!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You should start with a 2, given Benny's two shots. 🤓

Seriously though, really fun little mod!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crossposting from the Steam Deck thread:

Anyone had any luck running Capital Punishment or TTW for Fallout: New Vegas on their Deck lately? The Steam Deck instructions here: https://www.modlists.net/docs/2capitalpunishment/InstallGuide/steamdeck are no longer accurate since the directories mentioned in step 5 no longer exist. I managed to work through the "MO2 instance is already running" error in MO2 by running the launcher in the game directory and closing back out, but now the game just plays music and a splash screen for a couple minutes before crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Haven't installed either but from a quick skim of the doc, the missing directories in step 5 were to be created by an installer in step 2. Maybe check to see if step 2 succeeded or provided any errors?

E: if it didn't post errors, did it create those directories elsewhere, etc?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 5, 2023