Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I love the episode where she ruins his jeans, because bobby starts doing some less traditional male stuff like cooking and making clothes, and Hank supports it without even being like "gosh my kid is cooking in the kitchen instead of playing football or on the grill," it shows that Hank is actually a little more complicated in his relationship than Bobby besides "The boy's not right!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
She was pretty good at running that book store/illegal gun shop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'd give him more credit than that. This is the guy who came to see his wife teach a sex ed class despite his deep sexual hangups. That was a great episode, and one of a few episodes that show how Peggy's intractability and belief in herself occasionally lead her to take genuinely courageous moral stands.

I feel that kinda thing also illustrates a lot about Peggy, too. And I get the feeling one of the things Hank likes about her is that she's as stubborn as he is and willing to stand up for her beliefs, even if she turns out to be wrong. (Which he'd probably be hypocritical to call her out for too much)

The whole bit where Peggy reminds Hank of what his childhood was like as an example of why his father shouldn't be trusted with kids, and Hank just goes 'Oh, right' might just say everything.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I love the episode where she ruins his jeans, because bobby starts doing some less traditional male stuff like cooking and making clothes, and Hank supports it without even being like "gosh my kid is cooking in the kitchen instead of playing football or on the grill," it shows that Hank is actually a little more complicated in his relationship than Bobby besides "The boy's not right!"

I think Hank's idea of masculinity is a bit more walk-the-walk than the usual 50s excuses for laziness, he's practical to a fault and respects doing useful things and doing them well. Pretty sure a few times he's connected with someone who otherwise is very different from his accepted moulds through seeing them put passion, skill and care into their work, whether for a job or a hobby.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hank is complicated, got it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hank is complicated..

I tell ya what

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel that kinda thing also illustrates a lot about Peggy, too. And I get the feeling one of the things Hank likes about her is that she's as stubborn as he is and willing to stand up for her beliefs, even if she turns out to be wrong. (Which he'd probably be hypocritical to call her out for too much)

The whole bit where Peggy reminds Hank of what his childhood was like as an example of why his father shouldn't be trusted with kids, and Hank just goes 'Oh, right' might just say everything.

I think Hank's idea of masculinity is a bit more walk-the-walk than the usual 50s excuses for laziness, he's practical to a fault and respects doing useful things and doing them well. Pretty sure a few times he's connected with someone who otherwise is very different from his accepted moulds through seeing them put passion, skill and care into their work, whether for a job or a hobby.

If Ward had actually been good at the whole warlock thing they'd probably have become friends

There's no one Henry Rutherford Hill respects less than a poser

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Someone said Kahn is probably in America because of what Kissinger did and i cant stop thinking about it

naem
May 29, 2011

The Bible posted:

She's also a notary though, so there's that.

Pretty much every time we see her do domestic work, she fucks it up though. Destroyed Hank's jeans, ruined the yard with Winklebottom, killed every flower she tried to grow, ruined at least one Thanksgiving meal, and probably more I don't remember. Pretty much everything that makes the Hill house great was done/maintained by Hank, although he did once almost gas them to death. The only thing she really has is spapeggy and meatballs and maybe apple brown betties.

Peggy just fucks around all day with low-effort "intellectual" pursuits such as Boggle and writing terrible newspaper columns. Hank doesn't mind because it suits his 1950's attitude of "A woman's place is in the home" perfectly.

but what about, you know, the love

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Bible posted:

She's also a notary though, so there's that.

Pretty much every time we see her do domestic work, she fucks it up though. Destroyed Hank's jeans, ruined the yard with Winklebottom, killed every flower she tried to grow, ruined at least one Thanksgiving meal, and probably more I don't remember. Pretty much everything that makes the Hill house great was done/maintained by Hank, although he did once almost gas them to death. The only thing she really has is spapeggy and meatballs and maybe apple brown betties.

Peggy just fucks around all day with low-effort "intellectual" pursuits such as Boggle and writing terrible newspaper columns. Hank doesn't mind because it suits his 1950's attitude of "A woman's place is in the home" perfectly.

I feel that's just a product of the storytelling format that the audience only sees the time she fucks up and thus causes an actual story to happen. We don't see the 90% of the time Peggy does domestic things in a boringly competent manner that Hank has no complaints about. It's like on Star Trek we never see the 99 missions where they just scan some dull space rock and it's business as usual, we only watch the 1 time out of 100 where there's an all-powerful god-devil or something.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Obviously she must be great on Wednesday night.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hihohe posted:

Someone said Kahn is probably in America because of what Kissinger did and i cant stop thinking about it

and now thats two of us

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Obviously she must be great on Wednesday night.

Her dolphin-like knee scooting kinda freaks me out.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
She actually ended up working at the Arlen newspaper and then became a real estate agent. I’m going to butcher this quote but it’s so Peggy:

“Now, back in the 70’s they outlawed a practice called redlining. Now, of course that was awful, but I think in my hands I could use it for good”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I still say so much about Peggy makes sense considering she was absolutely the smartest person in the house (or trailer) growing up and probably constantly ignored and mocked for telling people not do incredibly stupid things and pointing out the obvious that they didn't notice. She's genuinely reasonably intelligent, but massively overcompensates because she's used to being surrounded by barely functional at best idiots.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like how Peggy before she's a real estate agent is literally just Dale. They're the same character, gender swapped. Their "job" is just a side hustle. Nancy says Dale makes only enough to cover the cable bill. Knowing this makes the episode where Peggy finds out about Nancy's infidelities way more poignant.

Nov 6, 2002

What??

Peggy grew up on a ranch in Montana you jack rear end.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Peggy grew up in West Arlen!

The whole thing is very amusing, just like how arlen can't make up its mind wrt population

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I noticed in the thanksgiving at the airport episode Hank states it's an hour from their house to the DFW airport. When you take thanksgiving traffic into account, Arlen is is pretty much IN Dallas. The crackheads and debutantes are coming from inside the house.

This also makes Hank planned vacation to Denton funnier to me since that's like 20 minutes north of Dallas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's 2000 miles from Springfield, too.

Actually that's apparently pretty close if you drive from Garland, the suburb of Dallas, to Springfield, Oregon.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

I noticed in the thanksgiving at the airport episode Hank states it's an hour from their house to the DFW airport. When you take thanksgiving traffic into account, Arlen is is pretty much IN Dallas. The crackheads and debutantes are coming from inside the house.

This also makes Hank planned vacation to Denton funnier to me since that's like 20 minutes north of Dallas.

This definitely tracks, just look at the small towns and suburbs in the area

Denton
Kileen
Wichita Falls!

Also New Hoffenscheime, the place Hank buys that replacement gnome, is almost certainly Fredericksburg or New Braunfels

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Buckley's Angel, can you please melt Sharona Johnson's face?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

The Moon Monster posted:

Hank states it's an hour from their house to the DFW airport. When you take thanksgiving traffic into account, Arlen is is pretty much IN Dallas.

Traffic? At 4am when Hank would be getting them to the airport? Y’know, before the gangs wake up

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Shockingly in depth and convincing, thank you G. Allen Finchum from the University of Oklahoma Department of Geography

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

G. Allen Finchum sounds like a name Hank would say reverently.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Punkinhead posted:

Shockingly in depth and convincing, thank you G. Allen Finchum from the University of Oklahoma Department of Geography

GO SOONERS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

G. Allen Finchum sounds like a name Hank would say reverently.

I can hear it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Made my day thank you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just watched part of the movie The Alamo from 1960 with John Wayne.

Saw the final battle when Sanny Anny's boys won.

If Cotton had been there I bet he would have killed at least fiddy of Sanny Anny's boys, and then tried to cut off his real leg before the french could get to it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'd give him more credit than that. This is the guy who came to see his wife teach a sex ed class despite his deep sexual hangups. That was a great episode, and one of a few episodes that show how Peggy's intractability and belief in herself occasionally lead her to take genuinely courageous moral stands.

Okay, he isn't nearly as bad as Cotton on that, but he would prefer it if he could have it. I will give that he ultimately would rather see his wife happy than himself. Hank is not a terrible person.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Another holiday season

another year of Hank Hill singing Teddy Bear

https://youtu.be/P1Za1nmyXE0?si=Mez_11S2GWxC4VvL

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'm watching Season 1 and I noticed something that didn't really stand out to me the other times I've seen it.

In the episode where they all get addicted to smoking, Bobby and Joseph are hiding in a gas station bathroom to smoke. Hank shows up and tries to open the door.

Now, he has no idea who is in the bathroom, but goddamn, he goes HARD trying to get in. Pounding on the door, shouting at the occupant, even wrestling to open the door when it becomes clear it is occupied. We've seen in the constipation episode that Hank is very bathroom-shy and doesn't even like to talk through the door when he's trying to take a dump, but I guess he doesn't realize that some other people are the same way. Why was he so concerned with who was in that bathroom?

Bobby only speaks after Hank begins trying to force the door open, so as far as he knew, he was just doggedly trying to force his way in on a stranger in a public toilet. Some people just don't want to announce themselves, man, goddamn.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Maybe it was an employee bathroom and he knew none of the employees were in it?

Would still be a weird thing to do

The Bible
May 8, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Maybe it was an employee bathroom and he knew none of the employees were in it?

Would still be a weird thing to do

I mean, yeah. So maybe there's a dude in there shooting up. What then?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He'll kick their rear end

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is this John occupied? Esta es Juan occupado?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

He probably smelled the smoke and assumed it was Dale waiting for their usual mid afternoon rendezvous at the Gas n Go

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Another Bill posted:

He probably smelled the smoke and assumed it was Dale waiting for their usual mid afternoon rendezvous at the Gas n Go
Is that where the buddy tunnel leads to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

The Bible posted:

I'm watching Season 1 and I noticed something that didn't really stand out to me the other times I've seen it.

In the episode where they all get addicted to smoking, Bobby and Joseph are hiding in a gas station bathroom to smoke. Hank shows up and tries to open the door.

Now, he has no idea who is in the bathroom, but goddamn, he goes HARD trying to get in. Pounding on the door, shouting at the occupant, even wrestling to open the door when it becomes clear it is occupied. We've seen in the constipation episode that Hank is very bathroom-shy and doesn't even like to talk through the door when he's trying to take a dump, but I guess he doesn't realize that some other people are the same way. Why was he so concerned with who was in that bathroom?

Bobby only speaks after Hank begins trying to force the door open, so as far as he knew, he was just doggedly trying to force his way in on a stranger in a public toilet. Some people just don't want to announce themselves, man, goddamn.

Of course the boring reason is it was the first season and the characters had not yet been completely fleshed out.