Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am very curious as to why they are keeping aspects of this story so secret when it seems like the big thrils are The Giggle

The RTD era is REALLY back and he hasn't actually written it yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It probably has the illusion of being extra secretive just because it’s a) the actual anniversary special and b) most likely filmed primarily in-studio and therefore less likely to be leaked by people just spotting the actors on location like most of this year’s leaks have been.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It probably has the illusion of being extra secretive just because it’s a) the actual anniversary special and b) most likely filmed primarily in-studio and therefore less likely to be leaked by people just spotting the actors on location like most of this year’s leaks have been.

Wait, what makes it the "actual anniversary special" when it is further away from the actual anniversary of Doctor Who first airing than Star Beast?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

Wait, what makes it the "actual anniversary special" when it is further away from the actual anniversary of Doctor Who first airing than Star Beast?

I wonder if the air dates weren't slightly altered; going from some of the background art it seems like The Star Beast might have been intended for a Hallowe'en airing.

Tbh I'd assume The Giggle was planned to air on the anniversary.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ed: actually nevermind, I’m stupid. :doh:

I mixed up the recent leaks, The Giggle is in fact the one that sounds more like a typical anniversary special, at least on paper.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 1, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It doesn’t help that everything we’ve seen so far seems to be from the first 2 minutes, when usually they’re up front about what the episode contains.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I wish people would stop using the term "lying" in the context of not revealing info about plot points, casting, future direction of a show etc.
I know it's technically correct, but for me calling some one as a liar is a super negative term.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Also, what are the odds the timeless child stuff is never mentioned again. Probably high since aside from stuff Moffat set up himself during Davies v1 every show runner just erases the board and starts over

Moffat did a lot of his own thing, but the biggest occasion of his run with the 50th special was all about wrapping up the the Time War and was probably the most RTD feeling thing he did.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Senor Tron posted:

Moffat did a lot of his own thing, but the biggest occasion of his run with the 50th special was all about wrapping up the the Time War and was probably the most RTD feeling thing he did.

It really was the best of both their styles, plenty of RTD emotional bombast and a plot that properly tied everything together. It bought Moffat a lot of rope as far as I was concerned (which he promptly used all of, then bought even more on credit and was just about even on rope expenditure by the time his run ended).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Some people are hoping that Capaldi is lying, but I don't get the impression that he is. He did his time on the show and he's happy with it and doesn't want to do any more and that's perfectly fair. I would have loved to see his Doctor one more time but I don't think it's in the cards.

Smith could go either way.

Really I think that rumor doesn't hold much weight, but I am very curious as to why they are keeping aspects of this story so secret when it seems like the big thrils are The Giggle

I've heard what Capaldi said, but if he was playing The Valeyard in a way, it would be different enough.

Of course I know I'm probably way off, but imagine a few years ago someone said "So the Master will reveal he killed all the Time Lords and made them Cybermen because he was pissed that he found out the Doctor wasn't Gallifreyan but was from another universe and a species who could regenerate and some Other Gallifreyan from Rassilon's time experimented on them to get regeneration and there were 72 other Doctors who did secret missions and the Doctor's memory was erased and that's how the Morbius Doctors are canon."

My idea is nowhere NEAR as dumb. :haw:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

I've heard what Capaldi said, but if he was playing The Valeyard in a way, it would be different enough.

Of course I know I'm probably way off, but imagine a few years ago someone said "So the Master will reveal he killed all the Time Lords and made them Cybermen because he was pissed that he found out the Doctor wasn't Gallifreyan but was from another universe and a species who could regenerate and some Other Gallifreyan from Rassilon's time experimented on them to get regeneration and there were 72 other Doctors who did secret missions and the Doctor's memory was erased and that's how the Morbius Doctors are canon."

My idea is nowhere NEAR as dumb. :haw:

I might have believed you but if you'd said "This will be explained to the viewer via an analogous sequence where the doctor is an Irish garda" then I'd have told you you were insane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I might have believed you but if you'd said "This will be explained to the viewer via an analogous sequence where the doctor is an Irish garda" then I'd have told you you were insane.

I always forget about this.

Wtf was that plot for again?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senor Tron posted:

I feel like a bit of a double-edged sword for Moffat is that he didn't really have 'one overarching thing', like RTD had the Time War and Chibnall had the Timeless Child. Moffat just found a new big, weird thing to do every season or so.

It does stop his tenure being pinned down as being about a singular thing that could be thrown out or undone, but it did instead show that he only had so many ideas for big crazy poo poo. (Which was also true of RTD, but 'it's the Daleks again' was at least generic enough to be less noticeable.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I feel like a bit of a double-edged sword for Moffat is that he didn't really have 'one overarching thing', like RTD had the Time War and Chibnall had the Timeless Child. Moffat just found a new big, weird thing to do every season or so.

SILENCE WILL FALL

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

SILENCE WILL FALL

Moffat's overarching story was weird, in the sense that it went on too long and never should of included Clara (so much of it was tied into Amy and Rory and River) and also it ended too soon because Matt wanted out of the role so it's resolution is all crammed into Time (?) of the Doctor.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still don't know if the silence stuff had a proper resolution. And I watched all the episodes, and i've looked it up before, my brain just refuses to store that information.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

I still don't know if the silence stuff had a proper resolution. And I watched all the episodes, and i've looked it up before, my brain just refuses to store that information.

You can, I believe, just about glue a coherent plot line together from what's on screen. There's some time loop/predestination stuff going on if I remember right, but yeah, it slides out of your brain pretty quick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The biggest thing that I don't think ever gets properly conveyed is that River is the one who destroys the TARDIS in The Pandorica Opens.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

marktheando posted:

the silence … my brain just refuses to store that information.

I mean, yeah, that’s what they do.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm a weirdo cause I love Moffats run and my favorite doctor is sometimes 11.

Its also sometimes 10 and 12

Picking a favorite doctor is hard

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's extra hard because you have two or three different 12s to pick from

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
12 in his ratty tee and hoodie is my favorite Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Resdfru posted:

I'm a weirdo cause I love Moffats run and my favorite doctor is sometimes 11.

Its also sometimes 10 and 12

You're not alone. It's a fun run! My favourite Doctor is whichever one I've seen most recently.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If we get just like 30 seconds of Eccelston on screen again in the RTD2 era, it will all have been worth it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Harlock posted:

If we get just like 30 seconds of Eccelston on screen again in the RTD2 era, it will all have been worth it.

I agree but out of all the outre possibilities recently proposed ITT this is by far the least likely

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Resdfru posted:

The show has been incredibly lucky to get such consistently great actors for the role. Even with 10 and 6, the two Doctors I like the least, it’s extremely easy to see their appeal.

And then again, I still really enjoyed at least half of Tennant’s original run and only started to sour on him towards the end. With C-Baker it’s the two-part matter of his televised episodes being kinda poor and all of his best stories locked behind a format I just can’t get into no matter how many times I’ve tried.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Foster posted:

I agree but out of all the outre possibilities recently proposed ITT this is by far the least likely

Depends on the British actors guild contract about AI imagery.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Eccelston left because of bad blood and a lot of it to with RTD and how he was running things, how he treated the workers, and enabling poo poo like Barrowman whipping his dick out constantly like it's his duty. If Eccelston ever came back, I can't expect it would be with RTD around.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Man, out of the modern ones, it's Capaldi for me, just because I'm the type who likes 'em ambiguously dangerous and Scottish. Which might be why my all time favourite (and first, hence kiddy nostalgia) is Sylvester. Took some time coming to that conclusion, but by Heaven Sent and onwards, I was all on board for him. Basically, perfect Doctor.

But there's no BAD choice! Not really. Some of them like Whittaker and C.Bakes have caveats on the production/writing side of things, sure, but each and every one is golden in terms of casting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would have liked to have seen Tennant with Moffat as showrunner. That combo would potentially be quite deadly for an all time fav Doctor list.
Moffat did a good majority of my fav 10 stories, and would have loved to have seen what he could have got up to with him for a full season.

As much as 10 is my Doctor, I'd probably rate 12 above him.
Some of Capaldi's performances were amazing.

Harlock posted:

A 9 cameo would be amazing, but as mentioned he probably won't do it with RTD around - not unless RTD prostrates himself and apologises appropriately.

He's done audio stories, so he's def open to the idea of playing the Doctor again tho!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get mad sometimes listening to the 6 audios because they’re a taste of what could have been if Colin was given stellar scripts. He’s the kind of actor that just elevates anything he’s given.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, we just had a fangirl CSO with Osgood and she was great for her first appearance and then absolutely awful afterwards.
I still love Osgood. :shrug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The commentary for last week's episode is a lot of fun if only for the fact that it's clearly Phil Collinson and David Tennant: Whovians and then the other producer who is A Lady What Makes Doctor Who As Her Job.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Gaz-L posted:

The commentary for last week's episode is a lot of fun if only for the fact that it's clearly Phil Collinson and David Tennant: Whovians and then the other producer who is A Lady What Makes Doctor Who As Her Job.

There's something quite endearing about how seriously they take it.

From an on-set report in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine:

quote:

"Hey, there's David Tennant," says Russell, as DT enters the gazebo.
He comes bearing gossip. "I'll give you a little Doctor Who snippet I've discovered today," he says.
"What?!" Russell leans in.
"Jodie," says David, pausing for the sheer drama of it -
"Oh! Yes?"
"- never unlocked the TARDIS."
Russell gasps. "What?!! NO!"
"I went to use the lock and they said, 'Oh, she never used it."
"BUT-!" says Russell.
"Never used it!!" repeats David.
"Did she just push? Or did she mime? Has she got a phobia?"
"I don't know," says David - Jodie's a close mate, but he's clearly reeling - "but that TARDIS lock doesn't catch on anything. This," he says, holding up the TARDIS key, "is spinning in thin air, when I do that," he adds, miming turning it in the lock. "Isn't that weird? She never locked it either! Madness." Russell is astounded. "Have you heard this? Phil? Phil! David, tell Phil."
Phil enters the gazebo. David tells Phil. Phil looks shook. "She never used a key??"
Three grown men - grown fans - sit in a gazebo in Camden, in silent disbelief. Eventually, Russell speaks: "You have to lock the door. There are always monsters trying to get in."
:3:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I would have liked to have seen Tennant with Moffat as showrunner. That combo would potentially be quite deadly for an all time fav Doctor list.
Moffat did a good majority of my fav 10 stories, and would have loved to have seen what he could have got up to with him for a full season.

As much as 10 is my Doctor, I'd probably rate 12 above him.
Some of Capaldi's performances were amazing.

A 9 cameo would be amazing, but as mentioned he probably won't do it with RTD around - not unless RTD prostrates himself and apologises appropriately.

He's done audio stories, so he's def open to the idea of playing the Doctor again tho!

I didn't think it was RTD he was upset with but one of the directors?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he was upset with Keith Boak, who directed Rose and the Slitheen two-parter. Apparently he was a massive rear end in a top hat, but Eccleston may have placed some blame on RTD and crew by proxy for not doing anything about him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Creature posted:

Need a campaign going to get Jodie back to lock the door.

My first thought was maybe it locks itself when she's far enough away. I used to have a car that I thought did that. Then my dad, car person whose car it was before, told me it definitely did not do that. But the theory is sound, it can work for the TARDIS if she believes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Creature posted:

Okay, that's weird and gently caress watching Chibnall again to confirm it, but given how the show was produced at the time, I could see it. Stories tended to jump right over the Tardis arrival so there weren't a lot of Doctor coming out and poking around bits. Maybe a quick insert of her popping her head out, but they had to quick cut to the action...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HD DAD posted:

Yeah he was upset with Keith Boak, who directed Rose and the Slitheen two-parter. Apparently he was a massive rear end in a top hat, but Eccleston may have placed some blame on RTD and crew by proxy for not doing anything about him.

And implicitly, and in hindsight, he was upset with Barrowman and the production team allowing Barrowman to be that way on set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Need a campaign going to get Jodie back to lock the door.

My first thought was maybe it locks itself when she's far enough away. I used to have a car that I thought did that. Then my dad, car person whose car it was before, told me it definitely did not do that. But the theory is sound, it can work for the TARDIS if she believes.

It's also amusing because David's the one where the idea that the Doctor can unlock the door without the key was introduced. Granted that was a Moffat script, not Rusty, but...