Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Maybe you could do a twist where you sunk deep as poo poo on the crash and the gimmick is you have to scrounge up enough material to get back to the surface. With the big cyclops eater at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ErKeL posted:

Maybe you could do a twist where you sunk deep as poo poo on the crash and the gimmick is you have to scrounge up enough material to get back to the surface. With the big cyclops eater at the end.

This is a good goddamned idea.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Don’t know if there's an engine that can support it, but imagine cave diving in zero visibility because you've caused a full silt out. There's plenty of cave diving horror stories that could be mined for subnautica material, never mind the leviathans.

Finding previous divers turned to corpse wax...

Or a Subnautica riff on Duskers, where you have to rely on remote operated drones to explore environments too hazardous or deep for your starting suit. The camera drones in Subnautica were nice but a bit perfunctory. Imagine if you could've combined them with your scanner, or grav traps, an oxygen refill, mining tools, etc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Don’t know if there's an engine that can support it, but imagine cave diving in zero visibility because you've caused a full silt out. There's plenty of cave diving horror stories that could be mined for subnautica material, never mind the leviathans.

Guide line broke somehow? Congrats, you’re lost and air is a limited resource.

Silted out and lost the line? Congrats, the clock is ticking and your story will probably end up as a warning to others. Maybe your name gets put on one of the grim reaper signs in one of the cave entrances in one of the Florida springs.

Rebreather issues? Congrats, you’re back on open-circuit (you were carrying a backup, right?), and your bubbles are trying to cause a silt-out. You’ve got the line in-hand, can you make it back before you’re out of air, or your bubbles knock something loose on the ceiling, causing a partial cave-in.

Flashlight issues? Hope you’ve got your hand on the line, it’s going to be dark on the way back (assuming you make it).

Got lost? Too bad all the limestone looks the same. Caves aren’t like shipwrecks, which (at least when they were ships afloat) were meant to easy to navigate the bulkheads and corridors to get from point A to point B. Good luck on finding your way back out before your breathing gas is gone!

These are just the ways to die that I remember from being a recreational divemaster years ago that took trips to the caverns and caves around north-central Florida, and hearing stories from the shop owner I worked for. I’ll dive a shipwreck (but still not going far in), caves are too much for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The other day I learned about goliath groupers stealing fish from spearfishers, and I've been watching videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWP8tpzKpKI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlrlp3sFY3A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6exEV_Qrs0

Those guys are actually kinda small compared to the pictures I've seen of groupers bigger than people. They can drag along divers. That sounds like a neat thing that could be in the game. Spearfishing also looks like it'd be neat ingame, but if you can't catch things with just your hands it'd be a difficult obstacle for the survival aspect of the game.

We also live in a time when real-life megafauna are attacking boats, and mostly they're just nibbling on the rudder leaving them stranded and unable to move.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean there’s very little to actually do with your Cyclops, and the poo poo it’s useful for is in space too restricted for a fish that size.

To include one big enough to try and eat it would be to put it roaming in open waters where it would mainly terrorize players into either hiding their base in the mid-depth caves and never coming out, or giving up.

What about one of these:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It would be cool if there was more indigenous fauna where the optimal move was not "just stay really far away lol".

Let me tame the giant asteroid worm by feeding it cyclopses.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just have the big worm things guarding a nest, whose eggs are super useful crafting ingredients. Etc.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Or the game includes a ton of seismic activity with the realisation that it's because you're travelling on a creature so vast it doesn't register initially. The Leviathans are actually the equivalent of parasites.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most of the things I can think of that would make the game better involve making the map and world bigger, which I believe is probably technically possible, but I think it's also evident that the technical people working on the games aren't really great, and making the world bigger probably introduces a lot of technical issues.

Most games don't really have to worry much about expanding ocean areas because they don't have to be ready to fully render the seafloor wherever you are, or keep track of all the fish, wriggling, squirming around beneath you, just out of your range of vision.

Presumably the game company is doing a lot trying to get capable people to do things with the engine and whatnot, but the apparent drama over the writing of BZ doesn't really give me high hopes for that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

They accidentally made a game which is a gem despite its flaws, I don’t think anyone can intentionally replicate this kind of thing.

BZ was cool but there’s never going to be another first time through Subnautica.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

First Subnautica gave me a combined sense of exploration, wonder, fear, awe, and excitement that I’ve rarely felt since childhood.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Presumably the game company is doing a lot trying to get capable people to do things with the engine and whatnot,

Well seems more that they're starting a new engine from scratch, if the reports of switching to unreal are correct?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
So I saw this a month back and was getting excited. Finally a subnautica expansion focused on. Going deep.

Subnatica Call of the Void Trailer

What I didn't realize is the creators weren't the subnautica devs but just good mooders. Not as sure what to think but good trailer.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MikeJF posted:

Well seems more that they're starting a new engine from scratch, if the reports of switching to unreal are correct?

There is that, but hiring a few programmers that are very well versed in UE5 should make a huge difference in how long it would take to recreate first game's mechanics in new engine.

It also helps that a ton of the game's major pain points engine-wise are now basically baked in solved solutions in UE5 or one of the dozens of middleware layers available. Looking at you, ugly LOD grass pop-in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Replaying Subnautica on my steam deck, vs the first two times when I played it (and BZ) on Switch... Ooooof, it's so much better. Not to diminish the fact that the game runs just fine on the Switch, you still get the essential Subnaut experience, but having 60fps, god rays, and the right amount of bloom, blurring, and shadows is :kiss:

I just made my first tube in my game. I am Lord of the Tube.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DropsySufferer posted:

So I saw this a month back and was getting excited. Finally a subnautica expansion focused on. Going deep.

Subnatica Call of the Void Trailer

What I didn't realize is the creators weren't the subnautica devs but just good mooders. Not as sure what to think but good trailer.

For reference, this mod currently consists of concept art and animations and the youtuber in question talks about getting a team together "if the videos have enough views to show there's real interest." There's nothing to download. Given the ridiculous scope of the mod, there probably won't be for at least a couple years and by then the sequel will be out.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Complications posted:

For reference, this mod currently consists of concept art and animations and the youtuber in question talks about getting a team together "if the videos have enough views to show there's real interest." There's nothing to download. Given the ridiculous scope of the mod, there probably won't be for at least a couple years and by then the sequel will be out.

Funny you say that, I thought there were maybe not red flags but an odd vibe about that project. Like, apart from Chris Roberts most devs/modders would probably focus on building their mod first instead of spending time making high quality videos like that. Makes more sense to me now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Doing a high quality pitch vid is how actual games get money to get made, I won't hold it against a modder.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Getting the urge to revisit this game.
How is it in VR now? I assume the built in support is still crap, but are there mods that makes it viable?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PerOlus posted:

Getting the urge to revisit this game.
How is it in VR now? I assume the built in support is still crap, but are there mods that makes it viable?

Main problems with VR are that the crosshair is slightly off from where you're actually looking which makes interacting with things annoying, and that the Seaglide gets held right in front of your face so you can't see where you're going when you use it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/173

This mod fixes both along with some other QOL stuff and is more or less necessary if you want a decent experience. Playing though it in VR was a lot of fun imo, after downloading that mod the only remaining downside was that VR makes the draw distance more noticeable and pop-in will be a lot more obvious.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With that one QoL mod, it's so rad, too. The sense of immense scale is absolutely stunning.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! :D
Thanks for the mod-link, it's hard to filter through the mess sometimes.
I loved just hanging out in the Subnautica-world when I played through it the first time. Doing it again in VR has been a lingering thought.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I died twice trying to properly place a thermal reactor only to find out that I don't have the transmitter. Where the hell is it? Is there a guaranteed location? Or is that the kind of thing that's in a general area but randomized?

I watched a video from 4 years ago that said to go to life pod 12, but I guess that's been moved since the game was actually released. Lifepod 12 is much, much closer to the Aurora now than it used to be, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 12, 2023

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The most transmitter heavy location is in the mushroom forest bordering the dunes and the floating islands, in and around the large wreck up in a mushroom tree there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aoi posted:

The most transmitter heavy location is in the mushroom forest bordering the dunes and the floating islands, in and around the large wreck up in a mushroom tree there.

I still can't find it. I'm literally in the process of moving my base so I can use the scanner to locate every single fragment.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I randomly find one at a wreck, but Mushroom forest to the left of the Aurora is the most common for me.
Common meaning you might find 2 pieces.

To be specific, there is a gully going North leading to the mushroom area, i almost always find a moonpool piece and a transmitter piece to scan there.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We have announced our plans to make an announcement about our plans!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Let me know in advance next time

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can’t just announce announcements with no warning.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gentlemen please, stop announcing, this is the announcing room!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm still replaying the original and I think I'm more invested now than I ever was in my first two playthroughs. I just love this game so much.

I built my base specifically close to the mushroom forest and sure enough, power antennae a-plenty once I scanned for it. Now I'm all set, I went down to the 500m final degasi location, and now I have the full depth upgrades for the seamoth, along with the perimeter defense. I've planted acid shrooms and blood kelp so I can make most of the fancy chemicals, and I guess my next goal is to finish finding the remnants of the Cyclops as well as the PRAWN suit grappling arm.

Then it's onward and downward... to.... the Lost River.

I think I'm more invested because I know what's to come, as opposed to my first time through, just winging it, unaware of the ocean's inhabitants.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone know if modding Subnautica is possible on the Steam deck? I desperately want to play Call of the Void when it's released, plus when I finish this playthrough, I want to load up some cool gameplay mods, plus try out that multiplayer one.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

is that ever being released?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's the kind of mod that's probably at least a year of work and it got started a month or two ago. According to the Youtube channel the current state is that there's some prototype creatures in game and some placeholder islands in the void. So... check back in eight or ten months.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone know if modding Subnautica is possible on the Steam deck? I desperately want to play Call of the Void when it's released, plus when I finish this playthrough, I want to load up some cool gameplay mods, plus try out that multiplayer one.

Secondhand, but yes. A buddy of mine did the "install Windows on a steamdeck" trick and claims they were able to mod it from there. That's out of my skills/wheelhouse so good luck, but confirming that yes you should be able to do it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

This should help, I dont have a deck, but seems legit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wkdqiv/guide_installing_subnautica_mods/

e:or not, idk

"Subnautica released an update and qmod is no longer supported with the new version. You would have to use the old subnautica branch with the instructions mentioned above and I assume the older version of the mods as well for it to work."

e2: you could always ask in the SN modding Discord if that still works
https://discord.gg/C2yUnK2W

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I desperately want to play Call of the Void when it's released, ...

Sorry to be a Christmas grinch, but you've probably seen the sum total of content for it. It's a fan video that hopes to somehow become into a mod. One day. "If there's enough interest."

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Teledahn posted:

Sorry to be a Christmas grinch, but you've probably seen the sum total of content for it. It's a fan video that hopes to somehow become into a mod. One day. "If there's enough interest."

Christmas Grinch, eh?

Speaking of mods, the multiplayer mod is so good and has hilarious desync bugs like near infinite storage in lockers and instant death if someone else is driving the cyclops and you're anywhere near a doorway. Friends and I played a little bit on our server before parting for the holidays.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

As a general rule mods run exactly the same on Deck as they do on anything else, go nuts.

OgNar posted:

e:or not, idk

"Subnautica released an update and qmod is no longer supported with the new version. You would have to use the old subnautica branch with the instructions mentioned above and I assume the older version of the mods as well for it to work."
When Subnautica was updated to the Below Zero version of the engine it broke compatibility with the old mods, but mods for the new version work fine.