Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

New Leaf posted:

Along these lines, what if I've legitimately never dealt with a difficult client? Or if I have, it didn't make a big enough impression that I even remember it? Just make something up? I've dealt with a lot of projects in 12 years and none of them ever made me lose any sleep.

Say that and explain why you think this other example is applicable and why. Don't gaslight thinking you'll fool the interviewer into thinking they asked a different question. I'd also say that most interviewers will generally know if you make up a story whole cloth. You can adjust stuff on the fly though, but it helps to know ahead of time what your going to say in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Six Sigma is fine for what it is, a group of tools for solving problems and some prescription on how to use them. The problem is when people let using the tools get in the way of solving the problem instead of assisting with it. The other problem is that sufficiently large companies have whole teams dedicated to it who have to justify their existence (and why their program hasn’t solved all of the companies problems yet) by switching to a new program every 3-4 years, with the requisite retraining, relabeling, renaming, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Six Sigma is based on a statistical framework whose assumptions apply to manufacturing and other domains where you can run a process exactly the same way twice or tweak exactly one thing about it. The further away you get from that, the less applicable it is. For any sort of creative work it's a total boondoggle.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My company uses a proprietary program that used to be 6 sigma and they kind of just changed it over the years. A solid 80% of it is lifted directly from lean and six sigma and what wasn’t is mostly the same stuff repackaged or renamed.

It sounds like you would fly through most of the testing, then.

Up to you if the $500 is worth being able to put the cert on your resume.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah, like most things in business it’s a fine enough idea that’s been stretched to absurdity.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Magnetic North posted:

gently caress yeah!

:hfive::hf::bigfive: friend I'm thrilled.

wash bucket posted:

Congrats. Sounds like you weren't on the hunt for too terribly long.

Trying since August, trying in earnest since September, really stepped up my game in October (when I realised it wasn't gonna be as easy as I arrogantly thought it would be)

This thread honestly helped so much. It represented a turning point in my attitude and approach. I tried to become more pragmatic, viewed it as a numbers game. Made a spreadsheet and weekly goals. Put a huge amount of effort into the cover letters for jobs I really wanted. Customised my CV for each role. Went for quality apps over quantity.

I manifest big job offer energy for all The Resume and Interview ULTRATHREAD goons :wom:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It sounds like you would fly through most of the testing, then.

Up to you if the $500 is worth being able to put the cert on your resume.

As long as the cert from that site would be what companies are looking for it seems from my current job searching that it would be. Thanks!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I was hoping I could get some brutally honest feedback on this resume and cover letter for this project manager position in the Creative Services department of a local arts school. Of the various jobs I'm applying to, I'm most excited about this one and want to knock this application out of the park.

Here is the job description:

• Collaborate with project managers, Print/Digital Production Manager, and Creative Director to establish logical processes and workflow for jobs.
• Coordinate with Photo/Video Production Manager to organize, plan, and schedule photo/video shoots, and post-production processes
• Open jobs and build schedules in Asana, utilizing Creative Briefs developed by PMs
• Create job folders that will be utilized throughout the lifecycle of each project, compiling reference material, content, and job specifications.
• Route proofs to clients via Asana
• Assist and support the review of materials prepared by teams before passing along to the client.
• Assist with and support the proofing process ensuring all parties required have reviewed and provided changes and/or approval of the piece being produced.
• Assist in communicating client edits to creative and editorial teams.
• Develop project schedules with critical milestones and ensure projects stay on schedule.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for select assigned clients regarding jobs.
• Maintain and review daily work schedule with cross-functional teams, making and communicating necessary revisions to timelines.
• Schedule stakeholder meetings.Take notes and create follow-up tasks.
• Provide administrative support as necessary

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I've had (and hired for) extremely similar roles in the past. Largely, I don't get the impression from these docs that you have strong and specific experience with creative services, processes, or the file types involved, and your resume absolutely needs to be tailored for this specific role to include relevant skills and experience.

You come across as a friendly, enthusiastic project manager who's interested in this type of work, but might need a lot of training in creative foundations. I would assume that they're looking for a person with a really strong creative or brand background, in addition to project management skills, so wherever you can play that up in both your resume and cover letter, the better. Moving Adobe further up your list of software might help give that impression.

Cover letter is way too fluffy and informal. It needs to not open with compliments but with what specific and relevant value you will bring to the role. You have a lot of good examples in there, but they're lost in the flowery language. Your client management experience is great - it should be up higher. Casual language can be fine but "up to snuff" doesn't mean anything when you could talk about ensuring all work aligns with brand guidelines.

If I get time I'll dig out my applications for similar roles and see if anything there might be useful for you!

Edit: the dates on your resume are confusing, are you working 3 jobs at a time (one FT and two PT)? Are you planning to drop everything for this job?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer
An (external) recruiter contacted me last week for an interesting role for which I’m a good fit. I took a while to answer due to travel/work and now they’re MIA.

I went to the company’s page and don’t see the role listed.

How annoying would it be to find someone in recruiting at the company (ie, an employee not an external recruiter) and cold send them my CV? It’s one of those things that I feel SEO bait articles sometimes suggest that seem like a sure fire way to get on the recipients bad side.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dpkg chopra posted:

An (external) recruiter contacted me last week for an interesting role for which I’m a good fit. I took a while to answer due to travel/work and now they’re MIA.

I went to the company’s page and don’t see the role listed.

How annoying would it be to find someone in recruiting at the company (ie, an employee not an external recruiter) and cold send them my CV? It’s one of those things that I feel SEO bait articles sometimes suggest that seem like a sure fire way to get on the recipients bad side.

When did you contact the recruiter?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I had just applied to a job and I got what I thought was an automated text message, but they got my info from a profile I have on Career Builder. I hadn't paid much attention to it because every job there seems to be scammy garbage. I was playing along to see what was going on and here's what I got:

According to Google, "ASC Pty Ltd, formerly the Australian Submarine Corporation, is an Australian government business enterprise involved with Australian naval shipbuilding, headquartered in Osborne, South Australia." They build ships for the Australian Navy. I live in North Carolina. This can't be legit, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"I am Mrs. Ross" was the point where you could confidently delete it

e: or is it just me that has literally never spoken to anyone in a corporate environment who would introduce themselves in text as Mr(s). Lastname? Maybe it's still standard practice in Australia I dunno.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I'm just so desperate that I'm willing to try anything, but not even I'm this dumb..

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

When did you contact the recruiter?

4 days ago.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

4 days ago.

I'd put more time into trying to get a hold of the recruiter instead of trying to cold call. They job might have been filled or been pulled

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I've been ghosted by so many recruiters - recruiters who aggressively pursued me in the first place! In the beginning of my search I took it really personally, until I realised how transactional that relationship truly was. My assumption now when a recruiter ghosts me is that the role was filled by someone from a different agency.

Melbourne has so many recruitment agencies, all competing for the same roles, not getting a look in is usually a matter of timing more than anything.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Are there any add ons that will automate workday forms for me?

I've been unsuccessfully searching since June, but made it to a few final stages. I feel like there's no substitute for actual experience when it comes to handling interviews so I'm doing my best to stay active and keep applying. Just signed up for coursera and will be doing some Google certifications to try and spruce up my profile.

It's been a bit scary to see some of the industry influencers on LinkedIn with the open to work banner but that's the market right now.

The only reason I'm in this predicament is because my department head only got the job since they're married to a c suite executive. It's been one of the most baffling demoralizing and surreal things I've experienced to watch the damage one incompetent person can do to an entire department.

We've lost more than half of our team to attrition, our core duties have been reassigned to different departments who are eager and hungry to prove their value and we're just stuck in a dead spin with no hope of getting out.

The other day, I was talking to a coworker about how we don't really contribute anything to the company anymore because sales and other enablement teams do our jobs while our department head just sits in a panic, micranaging all of us to death. Beautiful.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 3, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I have an interview Tuesday and the more I look into the company the more I LOVE THEM. Their policies and work culture look really great. Please don't let me botch this, I really want this job and need to get out of this funk! Any general Zoom interview tips? I have done them several times before but for some reason this time has me antsy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You know what else is really great? You. You are really great. They should be praying to the deity/ies of their preference that you will agree to work for them. Please don't let us botch this, they are saying--or they will be, anyway, once they've talked to you.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

One of the great things about zoom is you can have post-its (either real or virtual) on your desktop during your interview that nobody sees but you. I wouldn't over prepare and have notes for every potential question or scenario, but it can be useful to have a few dot points or phrases you can draw from (for example, if you need to justify a career break, or you want to list out all the technologies you've used in a particular role etc)

Don't over prepare! The interviews I had notes and scenarios for what I assumed they were going to ask me went the worst. Instead, make sure you have a career narrative you can draw from. I repeat it to myself a few times before interview so I believe it (imposter syndrome is a bitch).

Remember to smile and breathe! Interviewers are people too. And don't be scared to ask them to repeat the question, or clarify what it is they are seeking from you in your response. In my last interview (from which I've not got a verbal offer!) I asked a few times for them to repeat the question.

My last piece of advice is to have a question or questions for them at the end that is about the organisation or role, not just about their timelines.

Maybe some of the above is obvious, but it worked for me fwiw

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Oh, and I like to have a cup of coffee (or hot water in a coffee cup) in front of me so that when you are being asked a question and you feel awkward you can have a drink

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

New Leaf posted:

I have an interview Tuesday and the more I look into the company the more I LOVE THEM. Their policies and work culture look really great. Please don't let me botch this, I really want this job and need to get out of this funk! Any general Zoom interview tips? I have done them several times before but for some reason this time has me antsy.

Someone asked upthread so here's my post where I talked about my experiences as an interviewee. Around that post some others make good points as well that I don't necessarily recall.

Magnetic North posted:

Seconding the test with a friend, especially because that means it's all installed already and you're not trying to download it at the time.

Test your camera to check your lighting to make sure you're well lit.

Check the position of your camera to make sure you're not being presented at an unflattering angle (up the nose, etc), especially if you're using a built-in laptop camera.

Similar to the above, but check your posture to make sure you're not slouching.

Make sure what's visible behind you is professional and organized. If that's not possible for whatever reason, consider investing in some form of partition to hide all your Funko Pops. If all else fails, I think it's okay to use use a professional-looking virtual background replacement as you see on Teams and a few other platforms. It's better to not have the artifice and distraction if at all possible, but it's far enough into the covid times that I feel most people will understand that your home working space might just kind of suck.

Make sure the kids and pets can't interrupt.

During the interview, while speaking look directly in the webcam, not at the preview of yourself. I know it's tempting because :sparkles: I found this hard to practice because you can't see if you're doing it right.

Have follow up questions prepared in advance. Try to make them related to the work and culture rather than benefits (there's time to ask that later), and if possible at least one related to the company specifically.

I can't tell you how to dress because I'm a software dev, and they're just happy my tee shirt is clean even if it is stained.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

You can use this link to test Zoom (no it isn't goatse)

Testing is a good idea, I hate Zoom with a passion. From testing I found out audio doesn't work on my Zoom app, but it does work in the browser version.

Halfway through my interview my compy froze, and after a ten minute kerfuffle I was able to rejoin... and I still got the job! So any tech dramas isn't necessarily the end of the world either :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

One of the great things about zoom is you can have post-its (either real or virtual) on your desktop during your interview that nobody sees but you. I wouldn't over prepare and have notes for every potential question or scenario, but it can be useful to have a few dot points or phrases you can draw from (for example, if you need to justify a career break, or you want to list out all the technologies you've used in a particular role etc)

Don't over prepare! The interviews I had notes and scenarios for what I assumed they were going to ask me went the worst. Instead, make sure you have a career narrative you can draw from. I repeat it to myself a few times before interview so I believe it (imposter syndrome is a bitch).

Remember to smile and breathe! Interviewers are people too. And don't be scared to ask them to repeat the question, or clarify what it is they are seeking from you in your response. In my last interview (from which I've not got a verbal offer!) I asked a few times for them to repeat the question.

My last piece of advice is to have a question or questions for them at the end that is about the organisation or role, not just about their timelines.

Maybe some of the above is obvious, but it worked for me fwiw

This is all great advice. I'd add looking at the company website and stealing a couple phrases or sayings they use and try to pepper them in, not a bad idea for a post it note!

But I agree, don't over prepare too much and go into it as easy as you can. The same reasons you love their culture is why they will want you.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone have good examples of questions to ask after? I generally blank when I get to that point, and they sent a pamphlet that had a lot of their vacation and insurance info. A lot of the things I'd be curious about I figure I'll find out if and when I get the job. The only thing I was going to touch on during the interview was their charity work because they made a donation recently and mentioned it on LinkedIn. Maybe a standard day in the role looks like or something along those lines?

For reference, this is for a Project Scheduling Coordinator role at a utility engineering and construction firm.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What are some things you do that exemplify your team culture?

What are some challenges you see in this coming year?

What was your leadership journey to get to where you are now?

Basically, questions to get people to talk. People like to talk and if you tee them up they'll like you.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Lockback posted:

What are some things you do that exemplify your team culture?

What are some challenges you see in this coming year?

What was your leadership journey to get to where you are now?

Basically, questions to get people to talk. People like to talk and if you tee them up they'll like you.

Good shout, thanks. Man I wish I could just get this over with. I'll report back in a few days when its all done.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

New Leaf posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone have good examples of questions to ask after? I generally blank when I get to that point, and they sent a pamphlet that had a lot of their vacation and insurance info. A lot of the things I'd be curious about I figure I'll find out if and when I get the job. The only thing I was going to touch on during the interview was their charity work because they made a donation recently and mentioned it on LinkedIn. Maybe a standard day in the role looks like or something along those lines?

For reference, this is for a Project Scheduling Coordinator role at a utility engineering and construction firm.

How is success measured for this role?

What do you like about working at [company]?

What is something you are working on that you are really excited about?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Jumpsuit posted:

I've had (and hired for) extremely similar roles in the past. Largely, I don't get the impression from these docs that you have strong and specific experience with creative services, processes, or the file types involved, and your resume absolutely needs to be tailored for this specific role to include relevant skills and experience.

You come across as a friendly, enthusiastic project manager who's interested in this type of work, but might need a lot of training in creative foundations. I would assume that they're looking for a person with a really strong creative or brand background, in addition to project management skills, so wherever you can play that up in both your resume and cover letter, the better. Moving Adobe further up your list of software might help give that impression.

Cover letter is way too fluffy and informal. It needs to not open with compliments but with what specific and relevant value you will bring to the role. You have a lot of good examples in there, but they're lost in the flowery language. Your client management experience is great - it should be up higher. Casual language can be fine but "up to snuff" doesn't mean anything when you could talk about ensuring all work aligns with brand guidelines.

If I get time I'll dig out my applications for similar roles and see if anything there might be useful for you!

Edit: the dates on your resume are confusing, are you working 3 jobs at a time (one FT and two PT)? Are you planning to drop everything for this job?

Thanks for this. Much appreciated. I'd love to see some example applications. Feel free to email them to bortlicenseplate [at] protonmail dot com.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Goons I gotta tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than cancelling an upcoming interview because you secured the contract for your :siren: new job, :siren: and it is all signed, sealed and delivered (including passing the police check)

I also cancelled my LinkedIn Premium trial subscription, deleted all the job notifications from LinkedIn and Seek, removed the 'open to work' banner on LinkedIn and updated my byline and all other 'seeking work' information.

Hang in there goons, it will happen for you too!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
(software engineering world)
A project I'm working on for a Large Organization is starting to get some news media attention, referring to it by even its internal codename, and they're characterizing it as "the top enterprise priority" for the entire company right now. I have a small tech lead role for one of that project's workstreams, though I'm not the only tech lead for it. Trying to figure out the best way to characterize it as a bullet point.

Currently thinking of this:

quote:

Led one work stream for ${ORG}'s top enterprise priority of 2023.

The work is about reducing latency by re-implementing a load-bearing, medium-traffic component from scratch.

Is there a better way to characterize this as a one-liner for the resume?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Goons, keep those good vibes rolling because I think I nailed the interview. They want to set up a call for me to talk directly to their client! And it was also comforting to know that the position is opening up because of an internal promotion. Gotta love a company that actually does promotions.

Chewbecca posted:

Goons I gotta tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than cancelling an upcoming interview because you secured the contract for your :siren: new job, :siren: and it is all signed, sealed and delivered (including passing the police check)

I also cancelled my LinkedIn Premium trial subscription, deleted all the job notifications from LinkedIn and Seek, removed the 'open to work' banner on LinkedIn and updated my byline and all other 'seeking work' information.

Eyyy congrats! I will Wookie-roar in your honor. Hope it happens for me next. Would be the best Xmas present in the world.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Chewbecca posted:

Many congrats dude! I too hope to someday soon experience the immense relief of getting off the looking-for-work train.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

(software engineering world)
A project I'm working on for a Large Organization is starting to get some news media attention, referring to it by even its internal codename, and they're characterizing it as "the top enterprise priority" for the entire company right now. I have a small tech lead role for one of that project's workstreams, though I'm not the only tech lead for it. Trying to figure out the best way to characterize it as a bullet point.

Currently thinking of this:

The work is about reducing latency by re-implementing a load-bearing, medium-traffic component from scratch.

Is there a better way to characterize this as a one-liner for the resume?

Name drop the codename unless an NDA explicitly doesn't allow this.

If you told me you worked on "A top Microsoft AI program" I wouldn't assume it was Azure's ChatGPT because you didn't say so.
If you have something sexy to add to resume, milk it. If you think it has that much play you can expand it past 1 line, that's perfectly fine.

And lol, I just saw who this was. Yes, you need to do better trumpeting your skills and accomplishments in your resume. If you don't feel a little uncomfortable with how you're positioning yourself you're probably not doing it right.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lockback posted:

And lol, I just saw who this was. Yes, you need to do better trumpeting your skills and accomplishments in your resume. If you don't feel a little uncomfortable with how you're positioning yourself you're probably not doing it right.

Thank you for this!

If I say...

quote:

Led one workstream of ${PROJECT_NAME}, ${ORG}'s top enterprise priority for 2023
... then am I trumpeting it enough? Because if I remove "one workstream of" then it sounds like I'm the top guy, which isn't true and would probably make my bosses mad if they saw it. Maybe I'm being too modest?

The new CEO is in some of the more important meetings, because it's their pet project (probably to pump the stock price), and so I'm not sure how much more I could trumpet it beyond just saying that I had a leadership role in the project. Maybe I should word it that way, instead?

quote:

Had a leadership role in ${PROJECT_NAME}, ${ORG}'s top enterprise priority for 2023

That phrase at the end is directly from the news article, so I feel like I should quote it verbatim.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Either of those are good, given this has some juice you probably want a sub bullet with an accomplishment or more info ($xxx revenue, investment, etc). In an interview you'd probably end up talking about this A LOT so make sure you give enough to hook em.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I fully realize I'm jumping the gun a bit but wanted to ask the question anyway. I had an interview yesterday that I thought went really, really well. I posted about it a little bit up the page. Before the interview, the recruiter I was working with called me to make sure I was good to go and pumped for the interview and gave me a little last minute coaching. She said she'd call me yesterday after the interview to see how things went. The people I spoke to were already talking about doing an introductory call with the client to get their take on me. I was over the moon when I got off the call. I emailed the recruiter with a quick 'Hey things went well, talk to you soon" note. She never called me or responded to the note. I texted her this morning asking for the interviewers contact info since it was set up by a third party, I wanted to write them a thank you. Still nothing. I'm overthinking this, right? She's probably just busy or something? Or am I being ghosted already.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

its been a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah but she said she'd call me that afternoon after the interview. The call never came and she hasn't responded to anything.