Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Solumin posted:

Oh I really like the sound of the new buildings!

My one concern about space and planets in general is the possibility of more oil/blue science moments. You know, where people get intimidated by the sudden jump in complexity, and even in future runs there's still some apprehension about tackling it again. I don't want this to turn into "yay we launched a rocket! But ugh we're gonna have to deal with the Ranch Dressing Planet."

I think they are doing a pretty good job of addressing this with trigger technologies. Oil is the most obnoxious part of vanilla Factorio because it's so easy to research a giant pile of technologies faster than you can build them out, and then rather than choosing a goal to pursue you have this giant pile of backlog to build through. By making some key technologies require you to actually produce some of what they unlocked before continuing research, the amount of backlog players can pile up on themselves is severely limited. We'll see how it works in practice, but conceptually it does seem to address things and they are also applying it to new planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Very interested in the expansion being a greatest hits of mod ideas with a base game level of polish.

Less interested in anxiously rushing rockets because of an entirely unfounded paranoia that Nauvis evolution is going to out run my defenses before I can commute. I love and hate jumping off points because (basing on Space Engineers here) my own iterative analysis of what I need to safely jump off takes hours but just getting a checklist from a guide is boring.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Makes me wonder if they're gonna do something to the pope system to make it less janky. It's one thing when you're doing all your oil processing 50 feet from a train station but I don't think it's likely you'll be able to train magma around, and piping things long distances isn't the most intuitive thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Xerol posted:

Makes me wonder if they're gonna do something to the pope system to make it less janky. It's one thing when you're doing all your oil processing 50 feet from a train station but I don't think it's likely you'll be able to train magma around, and piping things long distances isn't the most intuitive thing.

And the whole business with checking if the refinery is making black smoke or white smoke is very confusing to new players.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Solumin posted:

And the whole business with checking if the refinery is making black smoke or white smoke is very confusing to new players.

Scaling up anti-pope production is the real challenge

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Factorio: aggressive ground penetration

Solumin posted:

Oh I really like the sound of the new buildings!

My one concern about space and planets in general is the possibility of more oil/blue science moments. You know, where people get intimidated by the sudden jump in complexity, and even in future runs there's still some apprehension about tackling it again. I don't want this to turn into "yay we launched a rocket! But ugh we're gonna have to deal with the Ranch Dressing Planet."

Ranch Dressing Planet reminds me of that candy land mode for Transport Tycoon, I really liked all those different tilesets.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

the Ranch Dressing Planet

Finally a way to get my 8 year old to play

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I’m really glad they called out the “mining outpost” issue with other planets and are taking design steps to mitigate. I liked SE a lot but that was a glaring flaw. All the other planets, and especially the asteroid belt and anything outside the solar system was a bare stub base with nothing but miners and rockets / spaceship landing pad being the space train to your space mineral patch. The only nod to this issue in SE was making the raw materials stack poorly to encourage you to do a basic level of refinement before sending it home.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I kinda feel like the blast furnace needs to be two buildings. It doesnt look right that its in all in one building that melts and smelts ores and intermediate materials and casts them. Really feels like there should be a smelting furnace the liquid metals and then a separate casting factory that spits out your assembled bits.

Like just for the lava it seems fine but for the others it seems... Off....even for the ones just casting plates.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Dr. Stab posted:

We make power by boiling sulfuric acid, obviously.

Quoting Nostradamus over here. Or close enough, at least.

Looking forward to the new mining drills, I’m imagining how fast you could mine a nearly depleted vein by just surrounding by as many big miners as possible, which is already a thing with some modded big miners.

I guess you’ll need to have enough materials on your space platform to make a foundry and related buildings the first time you come, since you can’t carry on your person while traveling yourself. Going to be fun if the ideal method is to just bring a conga line of 5+ platforms the first time you visit each planet.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed, the smeltery also being the caster is weird. But I'm really excited with how they're making the planets have unique gameplay loops with how iron and copper need to be extracted from lava and how that means based on different planets will have different vibes and resource flows vs just stamping down a Nauvis base on Vulcanus. Can't wait for this!!!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jokes aside im expecting some kind of all in one burner power source that runs off lava and calcite so you have something to compete with lava shore space

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm not a fan of the richness bonus probability, it feels weird.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Vulcanus is obviously the solar planet. Inverse square law and all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

K8.0 posted:

Vulcanus is obviously the solar planet. Inverse square law and all.

The devs do like to present options so that's gonna be interesting. Especially considering how Vulcanus is large swaths of rather tight spaces with the occasional big open patch area.

Alternatively I love the idea of having a steam power plant where I have to refine all my water and have dozens of inserters yeeting sulfur crystals back into lava vents.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

If you watch the big mining drills work you can see they are outputting streams of different resources, which makes sense given they have an enormous active area. We may have to sort our ores!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also interesting how they have fluids running to miners on resources that don't usually need fluids!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ohhhhh shittttt are we finally going to need to deliver Lube to big machines?!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Actually watching it again it looks like its maybe just the drills that would pull from the uranium patch, the machines away from the uranium don't have pipes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Agreed, the smeltery also being the caster is weird. But I'm really excited with how they're making the planets have unique gameplay loops with how iron and copper need to be extracted from lava and how that means based on different planets will have different vibes and resource flows vs just stamping down a Nauvis base on Vulcanus. Can't wait for this!!!

Yeah, Vulcanus has set a good standard for how different the basic factory can be on planets and I hope the other three can keep it up. Of the base resources on Nauvis only coal and maybe some trees exist on Vulcanus. This genre as a whole gets pretty hung up on the idea that you've got to mine iron, copper and coal (and later oil) to do all the same basic things, so it's good to see the original mixing things up for this expansion where you essentially start over four times.

I don't mind the foundry doing both refining and casting personally - all of it is playing on the same basic concept of dealing with molten material. I do question why have it produce low-density structure, though, especially since the recipe doesn't seem to be using molten copper or anything. Is this only for the built-in productivity bonus? I see how that would help but it feels a bit artificial.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 2, 2023

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm not a fan of the richness bonus probability, it feels weird.

It's miner productivity bonuses, but without saying the words "productivity bonus".

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

I don't mind the foundry doing both refining and casting personally - all of it is playing on the same basic concept of dealing with molten material. I do question why have it produce low-density structure, though, especially since the recipe doesn't seem to be using molten copper or anything. Is this only for the built-in productivity bonus? I see how that would help but it feels a bit artificial.

Yeah, I can kinda see it but I wish it couldnt take plates and steel as items and for things you can liquify they have to come in as liquides, so for LDS it'd be liquid steel, liquid copper, physical plastic, and output physical LDS.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Solumin posted:

It's miner productivity bonuses, but without saying the words "productivity bonus".

It's to make it multiply, since you'll potentially be having a lot of productivity bonuses and +50% might be much less amazing. It'd be weird if late game effects shifted the balance between the two in favor of the lower tech miners. Also probably is a base component of miner quality, so you'll see the same stat from that too.

LonsomeSon posted:

Ohhhhh shittttt are we finally going to need to deliver Lube to big machines?!

Looks like sulfuric acid. Might be the thing that unlocks the multiplier.

I do hope we see more uses for lube, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did we already know we could get rid of stone by dumping it into lava? This changes everything!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ymgve posted:

Did we already know we could get rid of stone by dumping it into lava? This changes everything!

Yeah, it was mentioned in last week's FFF: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-386

quote:

Our journey begins amidst the blazing volcanic mountains, imposing geological landforms that often feature a central lava pit. These fiery crucibles offer a great place to get rid of waste items; just throw them in and poof, they're gone in a glorious puff of smoke and flame. Outdated gadgets, cursed rings of power, maybe even unwanted company.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Oops I accidentally played until 4 am

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

And then on purpose to 6am.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some goon server/community/discord/something for example to play Space Exploration in coop? Or do people usually play alone?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I'm betting that solar on Vulcanus is likely pretty crap. It's a hot volcanic tectonically-active place, full of vents and sulfur geysers. The atmosphere is likely thick and venusian inspired. We're likely going to have to extract power from lava somehow given there's no uranium and presumed limited water. Perhaps that or coal liquefaction and a method of just burning hydrocarbons without water.

From what the FFFs have said about the design thoughts about the 4 new planets I figure we'll likely have:
- An airless Mercury or Lunar type location, with effective solar panels, stark landscapes, possibly rare metals etc for advanced tech. Maybe here the environment is hostile and it has no biters.
- A lush jungle location full of greenery and biters
- A frozen icy location?
- And Vulcanus, which looks to be shaping up quite nicely. Given what we've seen ("I like to make these little craters into mini-bunkers") there are some form of aggressive lifeform. I wonder if they'll be notably different from Nauvis biters, or just pallet swapped.

I admit I'm leaning a bit on environmental tropes, but I'm sure none of the new planets will be 'Nauvis but with small a twist'.

Thinking more about the biters, I'm betting that evolution factor will be per-planet and not global (if you excuse the term) which should add a neat twist to ordinary gameplay, being able to wipe out the basic natives with intermediate tech and equipment.

Generally these guys are making interesting things. Pretty pleased so far.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

They did say you can extract water from acid, so that's a path to steam, but you'd still need something to kickstart everything. Maybe you have solar panels but they're really ineffective, so you need to use what you have to get acid processing going quickly. Or we get a new power source, wind might work thematically. Titanium being required for wind turbines kind of makes sense.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xerol posted:

but you'd still need something to kickstart everything.

I wonder if you'd be able to bring along some charged accumulators, or a steam wagon or two.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, with water being so unavailable, but sulphuric acid for batteries being plentiful, Vulcanus seems perfectly built for being The Solar Power Planet. Even geothermal power normally requires water - and it does seem like they're trying to keep any new mechanics for the new worlds as things you can take home too.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, with water being so unavailable, but sulphuric acid for batteries being plentiful, Vulcanus seems perfectly built for being The Solar Power Planet. Even geothermal power normally requires water - and it does seem like they're trying to keep any new mechanics for the new worlds as things you can take home too.

Sulphuric acid vents, volcanoes, ash clouds, and twisty broken terrain say 'solar power' to you?

Vulcanus is described as closer to the sun than Nauvis, but I don't think we've going to get 100% solar yield. I think we can expect something new.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I don't think they'll model solar panel falloff with distance from the sun. It just doesn't feel that fun to me. If a planet has different solar panel properties, I bet it will be more drastic, like, they don't work at all, because the planet is based around some new power infrastructure that is incompatible with the quick jumpstart provided by solar panels.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Geothermal is often done with a hydrocarbon that has a different phase change temp than water so it works better for your hot and cold side temps, coal liquifaction to make a working fluid and then pumping it in a loop could be an interesting power mechanic.

Or a lava heat exchanger that heats heat pipes for a 'nuclear plant' with a different reactor.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 3, 2023

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I have to stop reading this thread and the dev blog posts. I am already at maximum excitement for the expansion. I am going to have to save vacation days for the worst Factorio bender ever when it comes out.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I have to stop reading this thread and the dev blog posts. I am already at maximum excitement for the expansion. I am going to have to save vacation days for the worst Factorio bender ever when it comes out.

You can already play Space Exploration with 1.1. Factorio’s Space age will probably be the same, but simpler.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ihmemies posted:

You can already play Space Exploration with 1.1. Factorio’s Space age will probably be the same, but simpler.

SpaceEx is going to be way more complicated than Space Age. It seems like the only real relationship is both go into space.

You also get none of the amazing QOL changes coming down.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah SpaceEx is great but if you’re coveting QoL changes you will find only the opposite in the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm in the camp of SpaceEx sounds like it's got some interesting new mechanics buried under a couple hundred hours of added complexity and while I'd love to give it a go I know I'd never finish a 500+ hour playthrough and it's prob not a good idea to start and burn out on.

Space Age appears to be balancing the new gameplay mechanics vs overall complexity and time to completion in that it feels like it'll be achievable for a casual player but also a good step forward from vanilla.

Maybe I'll feel more like trying SpaceEx after finishing k2 but so far I'm meandering through k2 at a slow enough rate I'll hopefully finish k2, maybe do another similar modded playthrough, then SpaceAge will be out.