Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been using the Pixel 8 Pro (still has SIM in it) Pixel Fold, and OnePlus open interchangeably at home for the past week. Here are my impressions (with some more Pixel 8 Pro out in the wild stuff.)

First, the random 8 Pro stuff. It's a big upgrade over the 7 Pro as far as I'm concerned. Battery has been better, the screen is amazing, the cameras are much improved and the Ultra HDR photography is something special even if it does seem to amp reality a bit. I had zero issues with the modem and battery even traveling around iceland for a week where I was T-Mobile roaming on Nova for the whole week. The only time there I was on wifi was back at the hotel and I was snapping pictures and using maps as we were moving around the city and surrounding area, with 5g coverage, and I never once had battery anxiety. The only time I dipped into a battery pack was when we were coming back from our South Coast trip as I was down to about 40% by 6pm due to the sheer number of pictures I was taking, so I popped it on a battery pack for the ride back to the city to top it off.

That's another thing that's better than the 7 pro. Even though specwise it's not much different for wattage, it's certainly more aggressive about keeping a higher wattage and in the midrange it will add a pretty appreciable amount of battery in a relatively short time.

Though I never really had any specific mobile connectivity issues with my 7 Pro, everything radiowise about the 8 Pro seems to be better. When I had my Pixel Fold on my last trip, I did have quite a few bluetooth dropouts in the airport and on the plane. Just a few blips here and there. 8 Pro has been rock solid in that regard. Other bluetooth weirdness I've observed on my 7 Pro and Fold was when my Pixel Watch was connected to the phone, certain bluetooth things didn't function 100% right (Sony Connect headphone app, for example, couldn't find headphones until you disconnected the watch). Nothing like that has popped up on the 8 Pro. Overall, the 8 Pro just seems more polished all the way around, similar to the 7 Pro feeling more polished over the 6 Pro, but I think the difference is greater this time. The 8 Pro makes me REALLY excited for the Fold 2. Also, it's a minor thing, but I love how the 8 Pro and the 8 generally look like they have the same design language now from the front. The 7 and 7 Pro just looked oddly different with one having a curved screen and the other one feeling a bit more squared off in the corners as a result of the flat screen.

On to the Pixel Fold. After using the 8 Pro for a month, it does feel like the Fold was in development for a long time as it misses with respect to screen quality and other minor things that the 8 Pro has. Basically, it feels half a cycle out from the polish which is to be expected from when it released. That said, I still love that form factor and will probably be switching back to it soon. I was debating waiting until the Dec feature drop came out, doing a factory reset and starting fresh on it. The cameras on the Fold can't compare to the array on the Pixel 8 Pro, but for most daily snaps they are fine. I will still probably switch back to the 8 Pro if I was taking a trip or something. Endurance wise, it is a little bit of a step back from the 8 Pro as well, but I've never really had battery issues with the device and it got even better after 14. I think the Pixel Fold remains my favorite device launched in 2023.

The OnePlus Open, I'm just not sure how I feel about it yet. The cover display being more like a traditional phone should give it props, but I'm finding it's skirting the "Galaxy Fold" limit where you feel more inclined to open it since if you are going to be two handing a device, it may as well have the largest screen real estate. I will say that it does not take to cases well. Two I've tried (the in the box case and some higher rated Amazon one) just throw off the feel to the point where it seems unbalanced. It comes down to the camera circle. Without a case, it's easier to rest the index finger right under the ridge of the camera circle. A cases shifts that a few mm down and then the added thickness changes the center of gravity. I can find that without a case, I can easily do the pinky balance and reach the top of the screen. With a case on, doing that feels awkward and like I'm going to drop the phone. I usually go with minimalist cases to begin with that won't really protect with a drop so I should just bite the bullet and use it without a case, but it's going to take some getting used to with a $1500 phone. Speaking of $1500 phones, being on the SEPTEMBER security patch is downright criminal. That was before the phone even launched. I know officially they say every two months for security, but we're almost beyond that now for this device and if OnePlus really wants to be taken seriously as a flagship alternative, they really need to get onboard with the monthly patches. The cameras seem solid and trade blows with the Pixel fold. When they hit, they hit. I just feel like they should be quite a bit better and closer to the Pixel 8/Pro given the hardware that's inside. I really hope Google puts a stacked sensor into the Fold 2 to try to bridge that gap. I like how the Open can take HDR photos, but I'm disappointed that it's yet a different HDR format that doesn't seem cross device compatible. At least with the Pixel 8/Pro HDR photos, you can see them in Chrome on an HDR capable computer, but from what I can tell the ProXDR stuff is only visible on the Open. Also, related to the camera experience, they still have not fixed the long standing bug where if you double tap the power button to launch the camera when the phone is unlocked, IT LOCKS THE PHONE BEFORE LAUNCHING THE CAMERA. This is so infuriating. They seem to be assuming that the only time you want to use a quick gesture to launch the camera is when you are taking it out of your pocket, but double tap for camera is so much better than hunting for the camera app in every circumstance.

The multitasking stuff of the Open is aces though and probably the best implementation out there for a foldable and even android tablet. I can't wait until the OnePlus tab gets the same stuff. That said, the fact that the display is technically portrait instead of landscape means that certain apps (Gmail and Keep for example) default to single column phone layout when the device is in its natural orientation. That may be a more app issue than device issue, but stuff like this needs to be ironed out better. I want a two column gmail layout no matter the orientation of the device when Open, do assume that since its in landscape that it's a standard phone screen.

Battery charges quick, but not as quick as a slab phone given the fact that the dual batteries are not the same size. It can't ride the high wattage all the way to full since one battery gets full first, so it's a 45ish minute 0-100%, far less impressive than the 27 minutes of the OnePlus 11. Shaving 25 minutes off the Galaxy Fold or Pixel Fold charge time isn't quite as dramatic and makes it less excusable to skip wireless charging here. Also, in standard OnePlus form, the phone charges sub 18w on a standard PD charger. The best I saw the Open do is 16w. So, from a battery pack or literally any other charger than the SuperVOOC charger, you are going to charge slower than the Pixel Fold (though, to OnePlus's credit here at least, they maintain 16w almost all the way to full so it helps with the last 15% or so.) That has serious travel implications as the 80w SuperVOOC charger, if you even have a 2nd one, can only do 67w PD, requires the short OnePlus A-C cable to charge a OnePlus phone at full power, and is rather bulky.

Despite its heavier weight, I do feel that the Pixel Fold is a more comfortable device to use when on the go. The OnePlus Open does have nicer screens and the less apparent crease and semi-matte coating on the inner screen does help with visibility a lot in brighter circumstances, but I'm not sure it's enough to outweigh losing Pixel specific features and the one-handed use of the Pixel Fold. I still may put my SIM in it for a bit though and see how it fares. Since I don't have any of the Pixel "complaints" (bad battery, heating, singal problems), going to the SD8 Gen 2 is more of a lateral move from the Tensor G2 or G3 for me.

What I will say definitively is I cannot, for the life of me, think of a single reason to go with the Galaxy Fold 5 right now. The form factor is just the worst out of all the foldables, the cameras are still on the bottom, and Samsung hasn't innovated in the software department for a few point releases now. They squandered their lead in the market. Normally it probably wouldn't matter because Samsung is Samsung and they are the known brand. In this case though, since foldables are still an enthusiast's niche, I think the lesser known brands like OnePlus are going to get enough exposure to put a dent in Galaxy Fold sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

"Google says bumpy Pixel 8 screens are nothing to worry about." - Ars Technica

lol, lmao even. Glad it's nothing to worry about, such as components pushing into the OLED panel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

"Google says bumpy Pixel 8 screens are nothing to worry about." - Ars Technica

lol, lmao even. Glad it's nothing to worry about, such as components pushing into the OLED panel.

i scoured every millimetre of my pixel 8 pro screen and there are no bumps, i am happy to report

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

i scoured every millimetre of my pixel 8 pro screen and there are no bumps, i am happy to report

Please only use a soft microfiber cloth to clean your screen.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I thought it was just the new braille feature....?!?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Oneplus stuff and Pixel fold stuff

Thanks for the writeup especially about the oneplus open. Seems like the pixel is still better ergonomically and that was my biggest complaints about the fold 4 before I got rid of it. I'll probably sit on the sidelines some more unless there's major improvement in price.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

I don't put much thought into it and no scratches

Do you live in a sand pit?

I figure some of the people who report getting scratches constantly HAVE to have some common denominator. Maybe they live in places with sandy soil. Maybe their kids have sand boxes. Or they might be tossing their phone loose into a purse full of random objects. It's just wild to me how some people get scratched up screens immediately and some never do.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As a certified screen protector hater, I just got a tempered, curved glass one (courtesy of deong) for my Pixel 7 Pro and I actually really like it. It's the only one I've left on a device more than a day. But the reason I like is that I absolutely CANNOT tell I have a screen protector. I was all ready to poo poo talk when deong told me he'd ordered one for his P7P. I used his phone for a bit before he mentioned he'd installed the thing and I was blown away.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Google Assistant At-A-Glance widget on my home screen has crashed and now it's a giant pink box telling me to use ADB to pull the log. How do I restart this thing without rebooting my entire phone?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

isndl posted:

The Google Assistant At-A-Glance widget on my home screen has crashed and now it's a giant pink box telling me to use ADB to pull the log. How do I restart this thing without rebooting my entire phone?

restarting your phone takes like 30 seconds start to finish

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

isndl posted:

I was having a weird crash with that exact widget tonight. Reboot fixed it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Does anyone have recommendation for an app that automatically changes wallpaper?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Artelier posted:

Does anyone have recommendation for an app that automatically changes wallpaper?

Muzei is good. Pixels also have a few built-in wallpapers that rotate.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

isndl posted:

Just reboot your phone. It's not a mainframe.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Just got a Pixel Fold and it's pretty sweet. Coming from a Galaxy S22 it's been taking some getting used to, but I really have been enjoying it.

My biggest gripe right now is the photos app. Samsung had a simple Gallery app where you could drag files and folders around to organize pretty seamlessly. Google Photos seems extremely restrictive and just sort of shows whatever was touched last regardless of the file structure. It also seems really aggressive about users putting all their files onto the cloud, which sucks because I prefer my personal images to remain offline.

Is there a decent photos app for Android that doesn't suck? I don't need an AI scraping every pixel.

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 29, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Scam Likely posted:

Just got a Pixel Fold and it's pretty sweet. Coming from a Galaxy S22 it's been taking some getting used to, but I really have been enjoying it.

My biggest gripe right now is the photos app. Samsung had a simple Gallery app where you could drag files and folders around to organize pretty seamlessly. Google Photos seems extremely restrictive and just sort of shows whatever was touched last regardless of the file structure. It also seems really aggressive about users putting all their files onto the cloud, which sucks because I prefer my personal images to remain offline.

Anyway, is there a decent photos app for Android that doesn't suck? I don't need an AI scraping every pixel.

use Gallery Go by Google (also known simply as "Gallery")

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Pvt. Parts posted:

use Gallery Go by Google (also known simply as "Gallery")

Gave this a shot and it seems broken too. My file structure is set up as:

Pixel Fold\
---> Internal shared storage\
--------->Pictures\
----------------->Family\
----------------->Travel\
----------------->Backup\
----------------->Misc\

...with further sub folders in those. Seemed reasonable to me.

Google Gallery shows every single subfolder (100+) by default. These subfolders can't be selected or moved. I can apparently shuffle around the 20,000+ files amongst themselves though if I enjoy scrolling endlessly as each thumbnail loads. :thumbsup:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Scam Likely posted:

Gave this a shot and it seems broken too. My file structure is set up as:

Pixel Fold\
---> Internal shared storage\
--------->Pictures\
----------------->Family\
----------------->Travel\
----------------->Backup\
----------------->Misc\

...with further sub folders in those. Seemed reasonable to me.

Google Gallery shows every single subfolder (100+) by default. These subfolders can't be selected or moved. I can apparently shuffle around the 20,000+ files amongst themselves though if I enjoy scrolling endlessly as each thumbnail loads. :thumbsup:

You could probably use an actual file explorer (Solid Explorer is good) if you want it to abide by your preferred file structure. Most gallery apps I've seen are tuned to blur the storage structure and just show the content.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

sirbeefalot posted:

You could probably use an actual file explorer (Solid Explorer is good) if you want it to abide by your preferred file structure. Most gallery apps I've seen are tuned to blur the storage structure and just show the content.

The default Samsung Gallery app was really good at balancing file structure and content. I'll share if I find an app that has actual subfolder controls.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Scam Likely posted:

The default Samsung Gallery app was really good at balancing file structure and content. I'll share if I find an app that has actual subfolder controls.

I use Simple Gallery from the simple suite of apps. I fuckin hate googles bullshit sometimes and that includes their stupid photos implementation. Horrible.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
That first happened to me when I bought my first/only Apple product (an iPad 3): "Why can't I access the file system? Why is everything on the tablet just thrown into a lovely iTunes blender?"

I hear it's a little better now.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

So this isn't really the best solution, but if you're in your return window why don't you just exchange the Pixel Fold for a Galaxy Fold instead?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Does Samsung allow you to install their store/apps on other phones? If not can you trick it? If all else fails there's apk mirror probably

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How cool would it be if Pixel phones auto switched to LTE whenever 5G is the slower of the two networks. That's the first thing I'd do if I was the President of Pixel.

Is there an app or setting that does this?

5G is very overloaded in my city and is slower than LTE at any given location about 50% of the time.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
It does but it's dependent on coverage. Additionally you could just switch to LTE only. That's what I do since I don't care for the extra speed.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
e: nvm. It still exists. You just have to connect, go to Galacy Wearable, click Find My Earbuds, then select More.

I'd like to set up Notify When Left Behind for my Galaxy Buds because I'm a forgetful idiot.

Anyone know how I might do this in late 2023? The instructions I'm finding seem to be from before they messed around with the applications. Some videos show them going through SmartThings Find which no longer exists. Others show them going through the new SmartThibgs app. But my wearables no longer show up through SmartThibgs (only on Galaxy Wearable) and Buds aren't on the list of devices you can add for the app yo control.

Did they unintentionally remove the feature or is it just some arcane set-up method now?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
After recently discussing how careful I was about scratches on my phone and how my solution was the liquid screen protector armor to fill them in afterwards because I haven't gotten any scratches in quite some time.

I'll be having to do that, those smudges I've noticed recently were scratches after all! (Pixel 8 pro)

Maybe that stuff is just like the ceramic coat I use on my car.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I can no longer copy text from websites on chrome in android?
When selecting text, instead of showing the usual copy/select all box, it just opens a search bar for the selected text on the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

screenshot?

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
You sure it isn't the specific website you're on that does some bullshit to prevent people from copying their precious content?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

I can no longer copy text from websites on chrome in android?
When selecting text, instead of showing the usual copy/select all box, it just opens a search bar for the selected text on the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this?

I'm copying text from websites on Chrome in Android right now so I have no idea what you're doing

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Swipe up and try to copy the text from the overview view.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

rowkey bilbao posted:

You sure it isn't the specific website you're on that does some bullshit to prevent people from copying their precious content?

Yeah I bet it’s this

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Question for Fold owners:

From what I can see, there are 5 features that some cases have in some combination.

S pen holder
stand
handle/strap
hinge cover
magsafe

After using it for a while, what are the features you feel are most important?

My gut is telling me that if you use the s pen, that is #1, but after that I dunno.

Each could be most important depending on the person. The handle/strap seems to be one of the better options due to the size of the phone. Magsafe seems like a nice to have but not world changing. The hinge cover adds protection to a weak spot on the phone.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got the Samsung slim case on my fold 5 that has the s-pen and it's... Fine. It kind of annoys me that it doesn't lay flat or even lay stable when open on a flat surface. I don't use the s-pen at all so I've actually just ordered a thinner clear case off Amazon so I'll report back with a comparison.

Most 3rd party cases seem to be incredible abominations that significantly add to the thickness of the fold when closed.

The idea of a kickstand is tempting but I can't find one I like the look of and I already had a cheap little tablet stand that I just leave in my backpack and use on planes when travelling to watch media.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Fold 5 magsafe case has been a gamechanger. It works with wireless charging, I have a magnetic holder for the car, and I have a ring holder that turns into a stand that I can remove easily.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alan_Shore posted:

My Fold 5 magsafe case has been a gamechanger. It works with wireless charging, I have a magnetic holder for the car, and I have a ring holder that turns into a stand that I can remove easily.

Which one is this? Does the case itself connect to your car holder because that would be very handy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Oxygen14 update dropped for the OnePlus 11 in the U.S. Friday so I decided to swap in my sim from my pixel 7pro and use it for a bit. A few things I noticed:
-Link to Windows is built in now, too bad I don't use it.
-Some new ringtones.
-Some added functionality to the sidebar like access to recently saved images and docs to drag into apps.
-Can limit charge to 80% if desired
-You can minimize timers and probably other stuff into a little iOS type pill
-A bunch of goofy AOD/lock screen stuff that I'll never use.

But my favorite, per-app refresh rate controls which means I can finally change the 60hz cap in the YouTube app to 120hz and make it feel like not poo poo.

I've also adopted an 80's/90's Sony Sports Walkman aesthetic.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Which one is this? Does the case itself connect to your car holder because that would be very handy.

Got it from Aliexpress. Yeah I just got a generic magsafe phone holder you put on your car vent and boom you slap the phone on it and it stays there! It's wonderful, no more clips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've also adopted an 80's/90's Sony Sports Walkman aesthetic.

Glorious.