Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

45 years after the collapse? loving hell, how old is Max Rockatansky?

Max is one of the Dunedain, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cool comparison, didn’t realize how it changed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CelticPredator posted:

They gotta start the marketing cycle.

Money money money

You can start the marketing cycle with a trailer that doesn't show bad CG!!!!!!!!!!!

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Kind of a shame that Charlize Theron turns in an iconic performance in Fury Road, and then immediately gets replaced by a younger model. Oh, but it’s gotta be a prequel - everyone loves prequels, they’re famously good and necessary.

ATJ is great too though to be fair, and I hope this film lives up to the last one. Fingers crossed!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am absolutely furious that they recast Ian Holm with Martin Freeman. Ludicrous they they didn't just throw a brown wig on an 81 year old man, he gave such an iconic performance.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 1, 2023

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Lobster Henry posted:

Kind of a shame that Charlize Theron turns in an iconic performance in Fury Road, and then immediately gets replaced by a younger model. Oh, but it’s gotta be a prequel - everyone loves prequels, they’re famously good and necessary.

ATJ is great too though to be fair, and I hope this film lives up to the last one. Fingers crossed!

I think there is a difference between a studio making GBS threads out a prequel for money, and the writer director of the first movie deciding he wants to tell another part of the story. But no that couldnt be it its literally just because Charlize Theron is old??

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

checkplease posted:

Cool comparison, didn’t realize how it changed

That's also a comic con fist look. Not an official trailer.

This thread loves to claim trailers are just showing temp CG but that's absolutely the exception and not the rule. When it comes to trailer production they will pick shots to be in the trailer and then send those through priority VFX and then that's often the final shot seen in the film. *Sometimes* they will have time to go through and fix the rush job but that's not very often (at least in my experience).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey on twitter Hideo Kojima said he watched the trailer 10 times, so that’s good enough endorsement for me.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

bows1 posted:

I think there is a difference between a studio making GBS threads out a prequel for money, and the writer director of the first movie deciding he wants to tell another part of the story. But no that couldnt be it its literally just because Charlize Theron is old??

I think George Miller makes decisions and then I form an opinion based on the tangible result of those decisions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also listening to the latest episode of What Went Wrong Miller and (someone else unfortunately I can't remember) wrote this entire prequel Bible to Fury Road before even starting production on Fury Road. So it def doesn't feel like a cash grab

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Fair enough. I don’t wanna push the point too hard anyway, cos like I say, I think ATJ is great. And if he’s got a story, he’s got a story. But I do think it’s a shame, since, regardless of motivation, I think theron is maybe more vulnerable to replacement than someone like, say, Keanu Reeves.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I agree. Because she also apparently really wanted to be in Fury Road. When it looked like the movie may have happened in the late 90s she apparently was considered but the offer didn't get past her agent and she was pretty pissed (this is Hollywood tales so always take with a grain of salt... They're decades long versions of the telephone game). Then the offer came back around and she was like "gently caress yes I want to do that." So she was all in.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Finally had a chance to watch the trailer on my home monitor, and folks I'm just not seeing the bad CGI. The only somewhat unfinished looking shot I noticed is the wide establishing shot of gas town at night. Other than that everything looks fine - what shots are you all talking about?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think anyone expecting this to be in the same ballpark (or league, or sport) as Fury Road is going to be disappointed. FR famously gestated for decades, with Miller storyboarding every second of it in his head over and over before production even began (and stopped, and began again, and stopped, and...) Then when it did got going all that pent-up energy got unleashed with everyone involved going hell-for-leather to make it as great as it was.

I just don't see them capturing that same energy again, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy with a relatively minor (but really fun-looking) addition to the franchise

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I mean Fury Road is almost ten years old now. That’s plenty of time for some new ideas to gestate. And for all we know he had loads of good ideas that couldn’t fit into FR.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I mean Fury Road is almost ten years old now. That’s plenty of time for some new ideas to gestate. And for all we know he had loads of good ideas that couldn’t fit into FR.

he did make 3000 years of longing in the meantime. how was that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jewmanji posted:

That's impossible. That would mean *looks at calendar, collapses and dies*

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

he did make 3000 years of longing in the meantime. how was that

You’re right. Once you make a bad movie it’s literally impossible to ever make a good one again.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Clipperton posted:

I think anyone expecting this to be in the same ballpark (or league, or sport) as Fury Road is going to be disappointed. FR famously gestated for decades, with Miller storyboarding every second of it in his head over and over before production even began (and stopped, and began again, and stopped, and...) Then when it did got going all that pent-up energy got unleashed with everyone involved going hell-for-leather to make it as great as it was.

I just don't see them capturing that same energy again, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy with a relatively minor (but really fun-looking) addition to the franchise

Furiosa was written before Fury Road back in 2002.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

You’re right. Once you make a bad movie it’s literally impossible to ever make a good one again.

yeah thats exactly what i said. youre really clever if you can tell that everyone you talk to is trying to secretly express a different sentiment than the one they explicitly stated.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

MaoistBanker posted:

Furiosa was written before Fury Road back in 2002.

It's not the ideas/screenplay so much, it's the actual pre-production and production of the thing with those thousands and thousands of storyboards etc that let them really nail down all the FR action

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
3000 years of longing was good stuff. Giant Idris Elbis. Everyone wins. That movie did have lots of good looking cg too.

BonoMan posted:

That's also a comic con fist look. Not an official trailer.

This thread loves to claim trailers are just showing temp CG but that's absolutely the exception and not the rule. When it comes to trailer production they will pick shots to be in the trailer and then send those through priority VFX and then that's often the final shot seen in the film. *Sometimes* they will have time to go through and fix the rush job but that's not very often (at least in my experience).

That makes sense, rushing the vfx for a trailer scene, but do they not do the same to for a major publicity event like comic con?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

checkplease posted:

That makes sense, rushing the vfx for a trailer scene, but do they not do the same to for a major publicity event like comic con?

No not necessarily. Comic Con has always been a place for "closed doors" very early looks at things. It's part of the appeal. And generally things released there are not released to the wider public which is why "comic con leaks" used to be a big thing.

I like to go back and watch the bootleg Tron 2 comic con teaser from time to time! The audience reaction is great.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think the main thing I'm disappointed with is even though its a prequel supposedly also including the origin of Immortal Joe and etc, they are in the film fully realized - like, Immortan is already in his breathing apparatus thing, and the War Boys look exactly the same as they would in 20 years, etc.

What was most fun about Fury Road were all the little world building elements that hinted at a whole universe that we only got a glimpse of. I was hoping for a different world, one that may have contained the elements that would evolve into what we see in Fury Road - but it looks....exactly like the Fury Road universe.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah thats exactly what i said. youre really clever if you can tell that everyone you talk to is trying to secretly express a different sentiment than the one they explicitly stated.

I guess I don’t understand your point then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mike N Eich posted:

I think the main thing I'm disappointed with is even though its a prequel supposedly also including the origin of Immortal Joe and etc, they are in the film fully realized - like, Immortan is already in his breathing apparatus thing, and the War Boys look exactly the same as they would in 20 years, etc.

What was most fun about Fury Road were all the little world building elements that hinted at a whole universe that we only got a glimpse of. I was hoping for a different world, one that may have contained the elements that would evolve into what we see in Fury Road - but it looks....exactly like the Fury Road universe.

Yeah that's a good point. Everything was so new and different in FR that I was just enthralled at every turn. The look, the names the speaking style. It was just all so good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I guess I don’t understand your point then.

i was literally asking if 3000 years of longing was good

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm all in on anything Miller wants to do in this universe, but calling this and odyssey at the start of the trailer and then showing us all the same poo poo we saw in Fury Road was disappointing. Looks like there's very few new ideas in this.

Yeah it looks exactly the same as Fury Road: designs, color palette and everything

Like a Fury Road: The Force Awakens !

I’ll still see it opening day though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, its a good movie.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

lol that’s my bad. Your lack of punctuation at the end made me think you were sarcastically saying “yeah and look how that turned out”. Carry on!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BonoMan posted:

No not necessarily. Comic Con has always been a place for "closed doors" very early looks at things. It's part of the appeal. And generally things released there are not released to the wider public which is why "comic con leaks" used to be a big thing.

I like to go back and watch the bootleg Tron 2 comic con teaser from time to time! The audience reaction is great.

It was released for the public though. It wasn’t a “this trailer leaked and we have to show it now” deal. Like suicide squad. Unless someone can correct me.

And the Tron trailer was a proof of concept they made and also shared.

Trailers are show with unfinished vfx all the time. The studios gotta get that marketing train going, movie be damned. There’s vfx artists posting here. Hopefully someone can come in and discuss it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Finally had a chance to watch the trailer on my home monitor, and folks I'm just not seeing the bad CGI. The only somewhat unfinished looking shot I noticed is the wide establishing shot of gas town at night. Other than that everything looks fine - what shots are you all talking about?

I would also like an answer to this question. People keep acting like the CGI is so bad they're having to hold back vomit, and I'm just not seeing it. (I agree, the only questionable shot I see is the one of the town at night.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It just looks like it was shot on a soundstage which it probably was because Miller isn’t getting any younger and once again, fury road was hellish to film

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah let's change environment, maybe get to the ocean and have everyone chasing each other but on boats and gently caress we made Westworld

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sometimes they just plain upload the wrong video file, poo poo happens y'know?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWQsanUBXY

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I don’t understand showing bad CG in a trailer. You can just do a shorter trailer that doesn’t show bad CG.

lol

lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

remember when cats had unfinished vfx when the film was released bc they rushed the whole thing and they had to do a patch update a week after it came out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

remember when cats had unfinished vfx when the film was released bc they rushed the whole thing and they had to do a patch update a week after it came out

and that the Chinese theater showed the original version with the hands and unfinished CGI for like a month longer than the fixed version because people kept going to see it like it was The Room or something?

I saw it three times lol it was great

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am ride or die for Miller and don't think this trailer looks good. It looks like a Netflix movie. I want to believe!

Believe, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

CelticPredator posted:

It just looks like it was shot on a soundstage which it probably was because Miller isn’t getting any younger and once again, fury road was hellish to film

This is the impression I got too, a lot of the shots seem, cramped?, in a way stage shot stuff does.

But that impression might be wrong and we find out it was all shot outdoors lol.

My main problem is despite his charm and talent, I think I need a Hemsworth break.