Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One of my favorite novels. I just got a new copy so I could reread it at some point.

I'm working on Blood Meridian, and it's kind of interesting how often McCarthy uses religious similes for these characters and their atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
"6
Do not exalt yourself in the king’s presence,
and do not claim a place among his great men;
it is better for him to say to you, “Come up here,”
than for him to humiliate you before his nobles."

Proverbs. Reminds me of "the first shall come last".

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Proverbs also has a passage about loving your enemy, which Paul quotes at one point. I tend to think people underappreciate just how much New Testament teaching is drawn from the Old Testament.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

On the topic of Paul and Romans, I found a supremely interesting paper called "Paul, the Goddess Religions, and Queer Sects: Romans 1:23-28" which I thought some of the scholars in here might enjoy also! If I recall correctly, the last time Paul came up we talked a little about how a lot of his more questionable edicts have been totally different messages taken pretty badly out of context. This seemed like a pretty good example of that! The article author theorizes that -- well I can let him tell you.

quote:

Romans 1:23-28 is one of the primary texts from the NT used to justify the contemporary condemnation of both male and female homosexuals by some religious groups and has been the source of significant recent discussion. This paper seeks to recontextualize the passage as a unified attack on idolatry by identifying the subjects of the “gay” and “lesbian” behavior[1] in Rom 1:26-27 as participants in the goddess cults that were widespread in Paul’s time and posed a direct threat to Paul’s ministry. These individuals violated patriarchal norms of masculinity, femininity, and sexuality in very public ways, as well as contemporary heteronormativity, and so I refer to them using the postmodern term “queer.”[2]

Let me be clear here: regardless of my personal feelings on Goddess cults, it's beyond reasonable for Paul to be saying, "Hey, fellow Christians, do not do these things emblematic of Goddess cults." And when the other way to read it is the homophobic way then hell yeah Paul, you go fellow ace, you keep speaking your religious truth. Thrillingly for everyone, while it's not the exact copy as the paper I read a quick Google found a very similar version on the author's personal website. So I am not going to stitch together a giant quote-block post about it but here is a link for people whose attentions prick at titles like that the way mine does :)

https://www.jeramyt.org/papers/paulcybl.html

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let me be clear here: regardless of my personal feelings on Goddess cults, it's beyond reasonable for Paul to be saying, "Hey, fellow Christians, do not do these things emblematic of Goddess cults." And when the other way to read it is the homophobic way then hell yeah Paul, you go fellow ace, you keep speaking your religious truth. Thrillingly for everyone, while it's not the exact copy as the paper I read a quick Google found a very similar version on the author's personal website. So I am not going to stitch together a giant quote-block post about it but here is a link for people whose attentions prick at titles like that the way mine does :)

Paul specifically mentions pagan orgies in Corinthians which I just read too, and within the broader context of the letter, he talks about eating sacrificial food or food left for idols, and he has an interesting take on the acceptability of it. He basically says that you shouldn't eat the sacrificial meat in situations in which it might give other people, non-Christians, the idea that Christians are down with worshipping other deities. But if you are invited for dinner and nobody would misunderstand your eating it for being an idolator, then whatever. It seems to be in keeping with his general idea that being Christian is far more about your relationships with other people, and how you affect their lives, than how pious and obedient you are.

He even mentions that eating with idolators itself isn't bad because as Christians, we don't believe in the idols anyway. They're just pieces of wood. Where it gets weird for Paul is if you are misrepresenting yourself and your faith, and giving other people the wrong idea about you or misleading them. I don't know, this is my first time through, so I am just beginning to get an understanding of what is going on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This one is also a shift from kashrut laws. I don't know if the full set of observances were the same as they are in the modern day, but "don't eat food that has been offered to an idol" is specifically called out (I assume it was fairly common; presumably, the gods took the part they wanted, and if you wanted to eat the remainder, hey, go nuts.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hmm, talk of offering food to idols has me thinking of spirit plates which is not really the same thing but I guess I haven't thought about it much in a Christian context

a number of cultures (I'm familiar with the indigenous american context but it's a Thing in many) will make a "spirit plate" of food to offer to spirits as part of a meal. say a blessing prayer over our food, here's the food for the living and here's a plate we set aside for the spirits. it's not idolatry because it's not worshipping spirits, it's simply welcoming them and showing hospitality.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

hmm, talk of offering food to idols has me thinking of spirit plates which is not really the same thing but I guess I haven't thought about it much in a Christian context

a number of cultures (I'm familiar with the indigenous american context but it's a Thing in many) will make a "spirit plate" of food to offer to spirits as part of a meal. say a blessing prayer over our food, here's the food for the living and here's a plate we set aside for the spirits. it's not idolatry because it's not worshipping spirits, it's simply welcoming them and showing hospitality.

there are tons of familiar echoes or instances of this sorta observance, from the sublime (fifth cup at a seder) to the folksy (plate of cookies for santa)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There's a Buddhist practice of making water offerings - obviously, gods would not need our gifts, and Buddhas even less, but developing the practice of gratitude is seen to have value. (Also, you can pour the water on your plants or crops later.)

I'm told the kami take five-yen coins, though. Convenient!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

On the topic of Paul and Romans, I found a supremely interesting paper called "Paul, the Goddess Religions, and Queer Sects: Romans 1:23-28" which I thought some of the scholars in here might enjoy also! If I recall correctly, the last time Paul came up we talked a little about how a lot of his more questionable edicts have been totally different messages taken pretty badly out of context. This seemed like a pretty good example of that! The article author theorizes that -- well I can let him tell you.

Grabbing this for later reading.

On the subject in general, I'm of two minds.

First, back projecting our modern understanding of sexuality back onto a different culture 2000 years past is bad form. They did not understand sexual orientation in anywhere near the same terms that we do today, and so just like you shouldn't try to say Jesus was capitalist, communist, feminist, chauvinist, antiracist, etc., one should be very careful about using the Bible to justify any stance on modern sexuality.

Hellenistic culture, like a lot of ancient cultures, featured a lot more sexual activity that would today fall under the queer spectrum. Let's avoid any discussions of ages here by also acknowledging that Hellenistic culture had a lot of pederasty as well, but neither the Greeks nor Israelites were making much of the distinction. One of the ways that the Israelites maintained their cultural identity was by not engaging in Hellenistic practices, including their sexual practices. However, the cultural aspect is completely lost as modern bigots prooftext verses that may or may not even be talking about consensual non-heterosexual adult relationships.

On the other hand, there's a lot of prohibitions in the Bible that we don't obey, and we can start with "slaves obey your masters" or the role of women in church leadership where one needs to be an Olympic-level mental gymnast to prove that what is being said is the opposite of the plain reading. Not saying plain readings are always best, just that the Bible contains contractions and on some level, we are always going to have to look at the whole thing and discern what of multiple different claims we are going to incorporate into our faith and what we are going to exclude.

Also, I want to point out that such a level of explanation tends to presuppose a certain level of biblical inerrancy. That is, I don't believe in biblical inerrancy, so I can say that the passages where the author gets bigoted reflect the author's opinion about God, not that God literally took over their writing hand and dictated to them that passage. I can look at the hundreds of passages that talk about love, grace, reconciliation, etc. and weigh them against the surprisingly small number of passages that seem to talk about being anti-gay and decide that, even absent a nuanced exegetical analysis, I find the former to be a more authentic witness to God.

Oh, and that isn't to say that I don't find these kinds of analysis interesting, educational, and even possibly useful, just that folks need to be careful of falling into the modern evangelical trap of literal biblical inerrancy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

Paul specifically mentions pagan orgies in Corinthians which I just read too, and within the broader context of the letter, he talks about eating sacrificial food or food left for idols, and he has an interesting take on the acceptability of it. He basically says that you shouldn't eat the sacrificial meat in situations in which it might give other people, non-Christians, the idea that Christians are down with worshipping other deities. But if you are invited for dinner and nobody would misunderstand your eating it for being an idolator, then whatever. It seems to be in keeping with his general idea that being Christian is far more about your relationships with other people, and how you affect their lives, than how pious and obedient you are.

He even mentions that eating with idolators itself isn't bad because as Christians, we don't believe in the idols anyway. They're just pieces of wood. Where it gets weird for Paul is if you are misrepresenting yourself and your faith, and giving other people the wrong idea about you or misleading them. I don't know, this is my first time through, so I am just beginning to get an understanding of what is going on.
This makes a lot of sense. There are actually a lot of martyrs who got executed for refusing to eat food sacrificed to idols, but it's usually clear from the hagiographies that this wasn't just a polite dinner among friends, but an attempt to make a public spectacle.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, that seems like one of the things that tends to very easily (and more historically provably) get integrated into Christian practice, depending on the Christianity. It's how the Eklutna practice of spirit houses got integrated into Orthodoxy. The Eklutna already believed that the spirits of the dead occasionally came to visit, and would build little dwellings for them with small gifts. Orthodox believe in praying for the dead. Therefore, when Orthodoxy came to Alaska, the missionaries decided "This seems good. Keep doing that."

Speaking of which, Fr. Michael Oleksa, who basically wrote the book on Alaskan Orthodoxy, just passed away. His book, Orthodox Alaska, both has a good history of Orthodoxy, including a great explanation of the ecumenical councils, and a look at how the missionaries tended to look for overlaps with native beliefs rather than contradictions. It was also an interesting part of Killers of the Flower Moon--most of the main Osage characters are Catholic, and also retain a lot of their pre-Christian traditions.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
When we say queer, we do not mean literally, the post-Stonewall framing of a person as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. We mean a socially deviant or othered sexual or gender-expressive experience. Paul is not identifying pagan cultic sexuality as being part of the post-Stonewall alliance, but he is possibly identifying people as using deviant sexual and gender-expressive practice to create a public identification with a particular pagan cultic religion. And obviously Christians can't do that!

To put that more glibly, LGBT is new, but there have always been new and exciting kinds of fags and trannies. Don't overcorrect for hindsight by assuming he couldn't also be talking about an actual subculture with a religious bent, rather than just the socially normative Hellenistic pederasty we're all familiar with, or other socially normative same-sex hookups.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

And there is evidence that a good portion of the earliest Christians were marginal folks. There was conflict between those marginal people and the Greek thinking groups. That conflict is often visible in the New Testament text where it has been edited. It is particularly visible in Paul’s letters ( especially ones he did not write) or where they have been partially rewritten. That editing happens even well into the Middle Ages (with Junia for example.)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nessus posted:

This one is also a shift from kashrut laws. I don't know if the full set of observances were the same as they are in the modern day, but "don't eat food that has been offered to an idol" is specifically called out (I assume it was fairly common; presumably, the gods took the part they wanted, and if you wanted to eat the remainder, hey, go nuts.)

So in Wiccan practice, or at least, in my Tradition, a libation of wine is poured for the Gods before the chalice is passed around (or used to carefully pour into Dixie cups, in these COVID times), either into a small bowl on the altar if indoors or directly onto the ground if outdoors. If we should happen to have a feast of some sort, ie, a post-ritual potluck on Sabbats or some other festive occasion, a dish will be made up 'for the Gods' that contains a bit of everything present which will be left outside somewhere once everything is done. We wouldn't consume the libations ourselves, they're not for us, and if the Gods choose to consume them in the form of a raccoon or a bird or the microbes that break them down then that's what they choose to do.

Conversely, in my Egyptian paganism side practice (for want of a better term?) the expectation is that the participants will eat the food offerings, presumably after the Gods have consumed their spiritual essence or ka. This feels very weird to me, I suppose because after decades of Wicca it just doesn't seem right. I rely almost entirely on offerings of incense at my Isis shrine because I don't feel entirely comfortable consuming any food offerings myself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

One of my favorite novels. I just got a new copy so I could reread it at some point.

I'm working on Blood Meridian, and it's kind of interesting how often McCarthy uses religious similes for these characters and their atrocities.

I don't subscribe to the view but the Judge as Gnostic Archon is a fascinating interpretation.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

When we say queer, we do not mean literally, the post-Stonewall framing of a person as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. We mean a socially deviant or othered sexual or gender-expressive experience. Paul is not identifying pagan cultic sexuality as being part of the post-Stonewall alliance, but he is possibly identifying people as using deviant sexual and gender-expressive practice to create a public identification with a particular pagan cultic religion. And obviously Christians can't do that!

To put that more glibly, LGBT is new, but there have always been new and exciting kinds of fags and trannies. Don't overcorrect for hindsight by assuming he couldn't also be talking about an actual subculture with a religious bent, rather than just the socially normative Hellenistic pederasty we're all familiar with, or other socially normative same-sex hookups.

What happened to your Utenas? You've been shorn of them.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Finished Proverbs.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Keromaru5 posted:

Proverbs also has a passage about loving your enemy, which Paul quotes at one point. I tend to think people underappreciate just how much New Testament teaching is drawn from the Old Testament.

this is why the rcl track 2 is so cool imo; the parallels and quotations are every frickin where

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Pellisworth posted:

in a lot of communities that practice candomble there's still significant food and drink offerings to the orishas on big feast days

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

This was a long standing custom in northern Europe as well, though they didn't tend to conceptualize them as spirits but rather brownies, pixies, gnomes, etc. who were physical-ish creatures who would either help protect them or at least not make trouble for them if placated.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love that the world over we wanted there to be more Little Guys

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Noted theologian David Bentley Hart is on the record as believing faeries are real.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the universal human drive to check if any nearby wondrous entities would like a snack

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Keromaru5 posted:

Noted theologian David Bentley Hart is on the record as believing faeries are real.

The Bible clearly says that intelligent, nonhuman entities are real and interact with people, it isn't that far of a jump.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Prurient Squid posted:

What happened to your Utenas? You've been shorn of them.

got into fights in cspam lol

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Killingyouguy! posted:

I love that the world over we wanted there to be more Little Guys
Everyone knows the little guys steal your poo poo when you definitely left it right here like ten seconds ago

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
for a text that comes down very tough on polytheism, it is surprising how clear the Qur'an is that the little guys are real. i guess it's just obvious,

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if it's that surprising; it's also clear that God made them, we're not supposed to worship them, and they themselves are expected to worship God.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Neon Noodle posted:

Everyone knows the little guys steal your poo poo when you definitely left it right here like ten seconds ago

Yeah, northern European folklore around them is more that they're the methed-up neighbors who will steal anything that's not nailed down and wreck anything that is, but if you bring over a six pack now and again and drink one with them, they'll go gently caress with someone else.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
around there the little people are especially associated with protecting springs (as in, springs where water flows from) and are mostly sort of aloof nature spirits that guard clean water. they're not mischievious really, but you're supposed to show them respect. they sometimes help people lost or stranded due to the weather

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So my church every Thursday night is doing an advent series which is just people gathering to sing through the Holden Evening Prayer and boy that is an incredible series of hymns, and the atmosphere of the church at night really brings the entire atmosphere home. Very much enjoyed that and I am gonna do it every week for the next couple.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NomChompsky posted:

So my church every Thursday night is doing an advent series which is just people gathering to sing through the Holden Evening Prayer and boy that is an incredible series of hymns, and the atmosphere of the church at night really brings the entire atmosphere home. Very much enjoyed that and I am gonna do it every week for the next couple.

That's awesome!

In a similar vein, you might see if there are any Christmas Vespers (or similar) music performances in your area. Some of the larger Lutheran churches and especially colleges had Christmas Vespers performances where I grew up and they were fantastic. That may be somewhat particular to the Upper Midwest in the US though.

edit: Lutherans love to sing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 2, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Reading Ecclesiastes. Did Charles Bukowski write this?

edit:

Ecclesiastes coming right after Proverbs is a trip. You thought wisdom was worth something? Nope.

edit:

In conclusion, the Bible is a land of contrasts.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 2, 2023

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I haven't gotten through the wisdom books but the gist I got of them from my reverend was

Proverbs: Here's how to live with wisdom.

Ecclesiastes: But life is random and not everything goes the way you expect.

Job: Here's an example.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nessus posted:

There's a Buddhist practice of making water offerings - obviously, gods would not need our gifts, and Buddhas even less, but developing the practice of gratitude is seen to have value. (Also, you can pour the water on your plants or crops later.)

I'm told the kami take five-yen coins, though. Convenient!

There often seems to be a similar type of practice in venerating icons in Orthodox churches on significant days associated with the subject of an icon. Sometimes an icon will be brought to the fore during that week and be adorned with flowers in front of or around it. Maybe a special candle/oil lamp too.

I like this kind of stuff; it's cool they are recognizing people who actually lived and it adds to the lore.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Azathoth posted:

Oh, and that isn't to say that I don't find these kinds of analysis interesting, educational, and even possibly useful, just that folks need to be careful of falling into the modern evangelical trap of literal biblical inerrancy.

So Az, I was going to let your thoughts in this post stand without comment from me because I really did just share that article because I thought some people might find it interesting, rather than trying to make a greater point with it; and the one part of your post I did think deserved a bit more scrutiny, that historically attested sex and gender deviance in ancient near-East Goddess cults was pretty widespread and common and displacing that to assume Paul was only speaking about routine Hellenistic sexual attitudes is itself skirting ignorance of historical context were already addressed by others. But after coming across yet another modern news article calling the US House Speaker a "Christian nationalist" who does believe in Biblical inerrancy and uses that to forge his political policies -- I must ask if I was correctly interpreting some of the tone of your post as "I don't believe in Biblical inerrancy, so I simply won't engage people who are thinking like that"; and further, do you really believe it's wise to just ignore such rhetoric rather than developing an understanding of it and being able to push back effectively against it when it crosses your path?

This Guardian article is titled "Mike Johnson, theocrat: the House speaker and a plot against America." Dramatic, I know.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/04/mike-johnson-theocrat-house-speaker-christian-trump posted:

The new House speaker, Mike Johnson, knows how he will rule: according to his Bible. When asked on Fox News how he would make public policy, he replied: “Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview.” But it’s taking time for the full significance of that statement to sink in. Johnson is in fact a believer in scriptural originalism, the view that the Bible is the truth and the sole legitimate source for public policy.

He was most candid about this in 2016, when he declared: “You know, we don’t live in a democracy” but a “biblical” republic. Chalk up his elevation to the speakership as the greatest victory so far within Congress for the religious right in its holy war to turn the US government into a theocracy.

Since his fellow Republicans made him their leader, numerous articles have reported Johnson’s religiously motivated, far-right views on abortion, same-sex marriage and LGBTQ+ rights. But that barely scratches the surface. Johnson was a senior lawyer for the extremist Alliance Defending Fund (later the Alliance Defending Freedom) from 2002 to 2010. This is the organization responsible for orchestrating the 303 Creative v Elenis legal arguments to obtain a ruling from the supreme court permitting a wedding website designer to refuse to do business with gay couples. It also played a significant role in annulling Roe v Wade.

The ADF has always been opposed to privacy rights, abortion and birth control. Now Roe is gone, the group is laying the groundwork to end protection for birth control. Those who thought Roe would never be overruled should understand that the reasoning in Dobbs v Jackson is not tailored to abortion. Dobbs was explicitly written to be the legal fortress from which the right will launch their attacks against other fundamental rights their extremist Christian beliefs reject. They are passionate about rolling back the right to contraception, the right to same-sex marriage and the right to sexual privacy between consenting adults.

Johnson’s inerrant biblical truth leads him to reject science. Johnson was a “young earth creationist”, holding that a literal reading of Genesis means that the earth is only a few thousand years old and humans walked alongside dinosaurs. He has been the attorney for and partner in Kentucky’s Creation Museum and Ark amusement park, which present these beliefs as scientific fact, a familiar sleight of hand where the end (garnering more believers) justifies the means (lying about science). For them, the end always justifies the means. That’s why they don’t even blink when non-believers suffer for their dogma.

Setting aside all of these wildly extreme, religiously motivated policy preferences, there is a more insidious threat to America in Johnson’s embrace of scriptural originalism: his belief that subjective interpretation of the Bible provides the master plan for governance. Religious truth is neither rational nor susceptible to reasoned debate. For Johnson, who sees a Manichean world divided between the saved who are going to heaven and the unsaved going to hell, there is no middle ground. Constitutional politics withers and is replaced with a battle of the faithful against the infidels. Sound familiar? Maybe in Tehran or Kabul or Riyadh. But in America?

When rulers insist the law should be driven by a particular religious viewpoint, they are systematizing their beliefs and imposing a theocracy. We have thousands of religious sects in the US and there is no religious majority, but we now have a politically fervent conservative religious movement of Christian nationalists intent on shaping policy to match their understanding of God and theirs alone. The Republicans who elected Johnson speaker, by a unanimous vote, have aligned themselves with total political rule by an intolerant religious sect.

The philosopher and theologian Søren Kierkegaard eloquently explained that religion is a “leap of faith”, not susceptible to reasoned discourse. The framers of the constitution and Bill of Rights thought the same. Under the first amendment, Americans have an absolute right to believe anything we choose and courts may not second-guess whether a believer’s truth is supported in reason or fact. For a believer, their belief is their “truth”, but for the republic, it is simply one of millions of beliefs across a country where all are free to believe. Thus, a scriptural originalist is by definition incapable of public policy discussions with those who do not share their faith.

The grand irony is that being a “scriptural originalist” is oxymoronic. The colonies were first populated by those fleeing the theocracies of Europe – a fact the founders knew and respected. Millions were killed during the Reformation, the Counter-Reformation and the Spanish and Roman inquisitions, because only one faith could rule. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, as well as many other kings and queens, ordered apostates killed, imprisoned or exiled. Current theocracies underscore this historical reality. The Pilgrims fled England because they were at risk of punishment and even death for observing the wrong faith. So did the Quakers, Baptists and Presbyterians. Despite the ahistorical attempts of rightwing ideologues to claim we are or were a monolithic “Christian country”, this was always a religiously diverse country, and they did not all get along at first. Jews arrived in 1654. Early establishments faded away in the early 19th century as they could not be sustained in the face of our diversity.

The primary drafter of the first amendment, James Madison, was keenly aware of these realities as he reflected on the dangerous history of theocracies in his famous Memorial and Remonstrance, opposing Virginia taxes for Christian education, asking: “Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other sects?”

Madison further invoked the Inquisition, stating that a bill funding religious education through taxes “degrades from the equal rank of citizens all those whose opinions in religion do not bend to those of the legislative authority. Distant as it may be in its present form from the Inquisition, it differs from it only in degree. The one is the first step, the other the last in the career of intolerance.” US history is proving him correct.

Johnson isn’t just talking about a tax to support his brand of Christian nationalism, though the right’s religious movement, with the approval of the supreme court, has gone all out to ensure that as many tax dollars flow to their mission as possible. Johnson has asserted the hackneyed conservative theory of original intent – that the constitution must be interpreted precisely according to what the founders said – but with a twist. According to Johnson, George Washington and John Adams and all the others “told us that if we didn’t maintain those 18th-century values, that the republic would not stand, and this is the condition we find ourselves in today”. The founders, according to Johnson, were scriptural originalists and he’s here to take us back to their “true” Christian beliefs. In fact, the founders’ 18th-century enlightenment values directly repudiate Johnson’s 21st-century theocratic dogma.

The Constitutional Convention itself shows how little support there is for the view that America started from a dogma-soaked worldview. During debates, Benjamin Franklin proposed bringing in a member of the clergy to guide them with prayer. Only three or four out of 55 framers agreed. The matter was dropped.

•••

Less than a decade ago, it looked like the religious right had lost the culture wars. The turning point seemed to be the decision in Obergefell v Hodges in 2015, which established same-sex marriage as a constitutional right. “It’s about everything,” Focus on the Family’s James Dobson mourned, “We lost the entire culture war with that one decision.”

But instead of surrendering, the truest believers vowed to supplant democracy. They doubled down on furiously grabbing political power, to force everyone else to live their religious lives. Led by the likes of Leonard Leo, a reactionary Catholic theocrat who is chair of the Federalist Society’s board of directors, Dobson and many other Republicans, including the then little-known Mike Johnson, remade the supreme court and instituted stringent religious litmus tests for Republican candidates. Unable to control the culture, they have mounted a legal-political crusade against all who refuse to embrace their religious worldview.

In little over a year, since Dobbs, the theocrats have converted their belief in the divinity of the fetus and disdain for the life of the pregnant into law, in one Republican-dominated state after another. But that is just a preview. Johnson and his crusaders would like to insert their scriptural originalism into every nook and cranny of federal law and public policy, to create a blanket of religious hegemony. Conservative governors and legislators have shamelessly invoked their God as the legislative purpose behind such draconian limitations.

In the US, the peaceful coexistence of thousands of faiths was made possible in great part by the separation of church and state, which was demanded by Baptists in Massachusetts, Virginia and other places where they were being ostracized, taxed, flogged, imprisoned and even killed for their beliefs. That separation, which is the wall that protects religious liberty and prevents religious hegemony, was engraved in the constitution. How cruel an irony that some of the spiritual descendants of those persecuted Baptists should, like Mike Johnson, pervert American history and the constitution to impose a theocracy that would mean the end of democracy.

It has seemed probable to me that I have been more concerned about the political "religious right" than a lot of people in America have been, both having grown up in their environment and having therefore a strong sense of the damage they can do / want to do / believe it is their mission to do, as well as having a woman's rights to her body and use or disuse of her reproductive system, something most conservative Christians have strong differing feelings about, as my personal number one issue on a political party's agenda. When he was elected I actually made a conscious decision not to think/worry about Mike Johnson, there are plenty more pressing things to worry about in the world right now. But more and more journalism pieces have been published over the last several weeks discussing Johnson's religious views and that they are one with his vision for the country and every person living within it; the authors insist this should not be dismissed or underestimated, and I do wonder if, being "the good kind" of Christian, it is easier for you to say "Biblical inerrancy, I don't believe in that" and go about your day than it is for people for whom his views appear to pose a clear and present threat.

The author observes, "Religious truth is neither rational nor susceptible to reasoned debate." However, she also adds that "a scriptural originalist is by definition incapable of public policy discussions with those who do not share their faith." Even if you choose to reject Biblical inerrancy, a paper such as the Paul one is clearly written at least to some degree with a mission: to meet those using literal translations of Biblical verse as close to where they stand as possible, and then yanking the rug from beneath them by proposing a very different, but equally or even more historically plausible alternative translation for verses used to justify oppression and suffering. I suppose what I am trying to inquire of you here, as non-judgmentally as possible, is do you not think as a Christian who believes in a more loving, accepting, and forgiving truth than Christians like that do, that part of your ministry should be defusing rhetoric that is used to justify hate?

It is worthwhile to remind the people around you "not to fall into the trap of literal Biblical inerrancy," certainly. But then I ask you what is to be done about those already in that trap? It cannot be the job of non-Christians alone to try to confute the attacks, attacks made in ways both personal and institutional, of those with literalist beliefs; I would actually argue it is not our place, and therefore our job, in the common discourse at all. A person that holds the beliefs of a Christian nationalist could not care less about a queer polytheist panentheist woman's thoughts on his Bible, regardless of how compelling my rhetoric. Indeed, as I quoted above, as a thoughtful, educated Christian man and thus one that at least nominally shares that faith, are you not in one of the most privileged positions to push back against Biblical inerrancy? True, as I also emphasized above, that the religious truth of a true believer is not necessarily susceptible to reasoned debate. But if the tides are shifting in such a manner where religious literalism is re-entering mainstream discourse, spewing forth from the mouths of enormously visible, enormously powerful, enormously influential government figures, should you -- you, the mindful Christian who truly does love his fellow man -- not be versed in ways to meet it? These things do not stay in government discourse alone. To say otherwise is ignoring the last seven years in America, every part of them from the balloon of hate crimes to the dissolution of Roe v. Wade. You may never personally change Mike Johnson's mind. But he will be changing the minds of others, and those are the people with whom you could make the difference, by understanding that way of thinking and shifting the rhetoric in the ways that can change their minds back.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I was only speaking to the people here with that comment, not suggesting bringing my point up to someone who currently believes in biblical literalism. The problem is that we need to be able to acknowledge that the Bible is written by humans and there's things in there that come from the biases of the human writing. That doesn't mean that the Bible isn't the inspired word of God, it just means that just as copyists and translators are not divinely protected from error, neither were the authors. If God wouldn't do that, why would God bother doing it for the author, since God clearly knows what is going to happen. The Bible is the book God wants us to have, and we need to wrestle with why there are 1001 translations and millions of manuscript variations.

Going beyond the Bible clearly condoning slavery, the passages in Paul's Epistles about women being subservient to men (note I don't think most are authentically Pauline, but that's neither here nor there, it's in the Bible no matter who wrote it). One can engage in a complex analysis of customs and time and make the passage say the exact opposite of the plain reading, but anyone with a literalist interpretation is going to bounce hard off that because the human being that wrote those passages clearly did not mean women are equal when he wrote that they're subservient.

At some point, we need to be able to say that the authors of the books of the Bible were not supernaturally taken over by God, their free will was not removed when they wrote what they wrote, and poo poo made it in that we have come to understand is sinful (slavery, misogyny, etc.) but we can read the books in totality and context and get an authentic witness of God, but we don't need to explain some things as anything more than "the author was incorrect" just like when the author of Mark names the wrong priest in Mark 2:26.

As for what to do with people who have a literalist mindset, well, you can't get them out of that mindset so long as they are part of a Christian community that espouses such beliefs. So, instead of just asking how to disabuse them of the notion of biblical inerrancy, you need to think about how to get them into a community that professes different beliefs. Unless they can be a part of a healthy, supportive community, no amount of nuanced exegesis from a single person is going to overcome a whole community professing the opposite.

So that then brings up what to do in the wider culture, and the answer is for existing communities that aren't full of fundamentalists to be more open and welcoming, and to be way better at sharing their message. Somewhere along the way, liberal Christianity got really nervous about evangelism and most liberal mainline Protestant denominations now are happy if someone comes in and wants to join but have not figured out how to share the Gospel without screaming about hellfire and damnation like fundamentalists do. It's a massive dereliction of duty on the part of many churches, my own included.

There's a lot of interesting stuff happening but I suspect that it's going to require a massive denominational realignment beyond what is happening now in the UMC or what happened in the ELCA in 2009. These denominations highly prize church unity and so voices arguing for less conservative theology end up getting vetoed by a coalition of conservatives and milquetoast liberals who for a variety of reasons don't want their conservative wing to leave.

Ultimately, I think this is going to end up with some variety of Protestant realignment from which an explicitly theologically liberal church will emerge that is not afraid to criticize the Christian right but it's anyone's guess how long that will take.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Azathoth posted:

So that then brings up what to do in the wider culture, and the answer is for existing communities that aren't full of fundamentalists to be more open and welcoming, and to be way better at sharing their message. Somewhere along the way, liberal Christianity got really nervous about evangelism and most liberal mainline Protestant denominations now are happy if someone comes in and wants to join but have not figured out how to share the Gospel without screaming about hellfire and damnation like fundamentalists do. It's a massive dereliction of duty on the part of many churches, my own included.
From an external point of view, one of the really pernicious things that I think helps the conservative wing is a habit of thought in many people - often non-adherents or people who have a very loose adherence - that says that the loudest, sternest, strictest, most literal version of a particular sect is somehow purer/better/more true. We see the shape this takes in Christianity in the US, of course, but I don't think it's limited to that - even the name for the haredim groups in Judaism ("ultra-orthodox") suggests them to be somehow the realest deal.

I'm unsure how to break this particular one but it does seem like a deep-rooted habit of thought that in my opinion ought to get uprooted and thrown out.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It is worthwhile to remind the people around you "not to fall into the trap of literal Biblical inerrancy," certainly. But then I ask you what is to be done about those already in that trap? It cannot be the job of non-Christians alone to try to confute the attacks, attacks made in ways both personal and institutional, of those with literalist beliefs; I would actually argue it is not our place, and therefore our job, in the common discourse at all. A person that holds the beliefs of a Christian nationalist could not care less about a queer polytheist panentheist woman's thoughts on his Bible, regardless of how compelling my rhetoric. Indeed, as I quoted above, as a thoughtful, educated Christian man and thus one that at least nominally shares that faith, are you not in one of the most privileged positions to push back against Biblical inerrancy? True, as I also emphasized above, that the religious truth of a true believer is not necessarily susceptible to reasoned debate. But if the tides are shifting in such a manner where religious literalism is re-entering mainstream discourse, spewing forth from the mouths of enormously visible, enormously powerful, enormously influential government figures, should you -- you, the mindful Christian who truly does love his fellow man -- not be versed in ways to meet it? These things do not stay in government discourse alone. To say otherwise is ignoring the last seven years in America, every part of them from the balloon of hate crimes to the dissolution of Roe v. Wade. You may never personally change Mike Johnson's mind. But he will be changing the minds of others, and those are the people with whom you could make the difference, by understanding that way of thinking and shifting the rhetoric in the ways that can change their minds back.

My spouse comes from a very fundamentalist family. They'd rather I be an atheist, or any other religion, than being a liberal Christian. They look at other beliefs as of the world, and just regular old sinful and confused, and simply in need of saving... but to them someone who's Christian and doesn't believe like them is spreading false teaching, and leading children away from the true Christ. My beliefs are abhorrent to them.

I've spent many nights wondering how to counter that, and I have nothing, except continue to stand my ground against it when it comes up, but that's occurring less and less. That community is becoming more and more insular; they've all but left the mainline churches (at least those churches in large cities). I mostly talk to my kids and nephews nieces about how nutty their view of God is.

I mean, if any Christian has actually changed any of those views in others, I'd love to know how.

Azathoth posted:

Ultimately, I think this is going to end up with some variety of Protestant realignment from which an explicitly theologically liberal church will emerge that is not afraid to criticize the Christian right but it's anyone's guess how long that will take.

Theologically liberal and socially liberal don't go hand in hand. There's certainly some correlation, but I don't think there's going to be a whole Death of God denomination sprout up. I see young people coming to church who are very leftist, but theologically conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
it's really really difficult to "deprogram" or however you wanna describe nudging people gradually away from biblical literalism and other bad stuff like thread boogeyman prosperity gospel. I think it's particularly hard to do in a deliberate way, and it's not fast, it's something that takes a long time and a lot of gradual exposure to slowly change peoples' minds. they really need some sort of personal life experience that pushes them to realign their thinking.

I'm hardly a psychologist but it seems easy and comforting for many people to just go with the simple, un-nuanced answer as opposed to the complex heavily nuanced approach that requires you to spend a lot of time doing critical reading and thinking etc. there's also the fact that a lot of people have authoritarian personalities or mindsets and are going to feel more comfortable with a sort of blunt force literalism.

trying to destroy biblical literalism with your powers of debate and historical criticism is not gonna work and is likely to backfire spectacularly. you can't logic someone out of a worldview they didn't arrive at by logic themselves. like Azathoth said, it's not just theology, liturgy, exegesis etc you're fighting against it's much moreso human psychology, sociology, and culture.