Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

People at work are confused at how I know how to do manicures now after deep diving into the algorithm once it got skewed by makeup tutorials

The skills and techniques are not far off what you need for modelling and painting. Any half decent ham painter and modeller could turn into a manicurist after watching a single manicure asmr video.

Needle files? Check
Sanding sticks and blocks? Check
Nippers? Check
Dremel? Check
UV curing resin? Check
Paint? Check
Greeblies? Check

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every time I visit my sister, she'll ask me to paint her nails at least once. I keep refusing because I don't have enough Chaos symbol decals.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

People at work are confused at how I know how to do manicures now after deep diving into the algorithm once it got skewed by makeup tutorials

My wife just gave me all her Elf makeup brushes at one point and just bought nicer stuff for herself and they're so good. Cheap too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I needed some polymer cement for an engineering thing and brought in some powdered acrylic resin that you mix with a liquid monomer, which I bought in the manicure section at CVS. When I showed the sds sheet it was the same rough polymer (pmma) that we were using and it was less than a quarter of the price. Thanks nail care guides.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Jack B Nimble posted:

Opposite direction from dry brushing, but the number one recurring frustration I have with painting is: is the paint thin enough, and is there the right amount of paint on and in the bristles. A wet palate has helped tremendously because I don't really need to actively thin the paint down as much if I don't use too much and mic it around on the palate, but it's still a tremendously frustrating moment when I give that first brush stroke on the model and realize "nope, nope, you've messed up". Or, in the opposite direction, I'll accidentally get it perfect and the paint will flow out smoothly in a thin, even coat that seems endless, and I'll know it won't be that good again the next time I return to the palate.

I'm trying to be mindful of it, and keep adjusting, but I really wish it would just be right every time, bleh.

I know exactly what you mean. My application of Leadbelcher for metals is still too thick, even though I'm at like 2:1 water/paint ratio. Maybe I really do need to start using my wet palette.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beffer posted:

For those that don’t know him, he was a very popular yt painter before it was a big thing. He hasn’t posted in 8 years.

He used to use the airbrush a lot, do lots of undershading and was a huge fan of vallejos metals. It will be interesting to see if his techniques have changed much in the missing decade.

Having watched the video I don't think his technique has changed at all. Dude just dropped off the face of YouTube for eight years and then popped back up like nothing happened. It's kinda great.

He's not... super advanced in his techniques compared to modern painting tutorial standards but it's a good look at a terrifyingly efficient commission painter just chainsawing through a project. (Of course, this is only part one. Maybe this is a Rebuild of Buypainted situation.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 30, 2023

Hoyota
Oct 3, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every time I visit my sister, she'll ask me to paint her nails at least once. I keep refusing because I don't have enough Chaos symbol decals.

A sheet of decals is way cheaper than a manicure, so just have her pay for them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jack B Nimble posted:

Opposite direction from dry brushing, but the number one recurring frustration I have with painting is: is the paint thin enough, and is there the right amount of paint on and in the bristles. A wet palate has helped tremendously because I don't really need to actively thin the paint down as much if I don't use too much and mic it around on the palate, but it's still a tremendously frustrating moment when I give that first brush stroke on the model and realize "nope, nope, you've messed up". Or, in the opposite direction, I'll accidentally get it perfect and the paint will flow out smoothly in a thin, even coat that seems endless, and I'll know it won't be that good again the next time I return to the palate.

I'm trying to be mindful of it, and keep adjusting, but I really wish it would just be right every time, bleh.

If you're not sure if it's the right amount just paint the back of your hand!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What is the magic parchment paper that is perfect for wet palettes? I have the red grass wet palette and the little papers that come with it don't seem to actually like, transfer any moisture?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wrr posted:

What is the magic parchment paper that is perfect for wet palettes? I have the red grass wet palette and the little papers that come with it don't seem to actually like, transfer any moisture?

Yeah, I've tried making one with baking paper and it doesn't seem quite right, possibly because I can only find non-stick. Maybe I should just buy one.

I've been priming my marines with Citadel Wraith Bone and other off-white cans (most recently Colour Forge, which I quite like) and whilst I like the shade, I'm wondering if I shouldn't be priming with the airbrush? I've been using Vallejo gloss black surface Primer for metallic Thousand Sons, but I'm having trouble finding a good match in their range, I've found some recommendations for colours that aren't specifically primers or only come in the tiny dropper bottles, I think I want the 200ml bottles that will last a bit. Any recommendations?

I've seen some say Vallejo's Ivory Mecha Primer, but I'm unclear how it's different to Surface Primer? From a tutorial I saw, is it just that it calls for thinner and flow improver, which Surface Primer doesn't seem to need?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

jeez, my camera just did not want to focus here...

WIP of my Sister Superior/Vigilator for my Talons of the Emperor kill team. Honest opinion, I'm not really digging the white hip banners, but I don't know what color I want to have them if I do end up switching from white.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

I know exactly what you mean. My application of Leadbelcher for metals is still too thick, even though I'm at like 2:1 water/paint ratio. Maybe I really do need to start using my wet palette.

Most metallic paints are a bit of a pig to thin because they are quite gloopy but start to split and cover like rear end if you add even slightly too much water. At this point, at least for citadel, I find the best way for me is to dump them on my wet palette but only thin them by moistening my brush a bit before loading it with the paint.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Wrr posted:

What worked for me was the cheapest parchment paper I could find at the local supermarket.

Not an expensive one! I first tried an expensive one with, like, monographed brand names in a pattern across it. That sucked. The cheap one worked great.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yesh I'd think you'd want it not be waxed?

Stopped by the LGS and found that they had absolutely zero guard boxes on the shelf unless I wanted the Lord Solar, but they Carry Two Thin Coats now, so I bought a small handful, apparently they're even thinner than average so maybe it'll help

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You want the plain Jane no-name store brand parchment paper, not wax or non-stick paper. I think mine was called "vegetable parchment" . Even better if it explicitly says it's silicone free etc

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Mr Teatime posted:

Most metallic paints are a bit of a pig to thin because they are quite gloopy but start to split and cover like rear end if you add even slightly too much water. At this point, at least for citadel, I find the best way for me is to dump them on my wet palette but only thin them by moistening my brush a bit before loading it with the paint.

I've got some parchment paper coming soon so I hope to test it out on a wet palette.

Now that I'm reading some of these posts though, I hope I bought the right one! Oh well, I can always make more cookies.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have the army painter wet palette and it works exactly as I imagined it would with the papers it included, but the wet palette I have from WetNdri does not seem to transfer as much moisture. So it doesn't work quite as well as the Army Painter one, but the army painter one, the paper can get a bit worn after a few uses. So if you are a frequent painter you have to change the paper more often. I wonder if different brands have different styles of paper they like to sell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Best use of extraneous parchment paper is to make oven bottoms. It's the exact same thing as regular bread, but it takes even less effort to make and because it's round people think it's fancy as gently caress.

Do not lick your rolling pin.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll point out that a while ago I complained the special parchment sheets my artist's store wet palate came with seemed worse than the parchment paper I'd been using with my upsidedown Tupperware, and someone said that paper is intended for conventional canvas paper isn't really suitable for the thinned paints you need with models.

Shame though, it's exactly the right size.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wrr posted:

The papers that come with the red grass wet palette do their job just fine. Paints will sit there for like an entire day before getting kinda dry.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah if you’re imagining that your paints should get super wet just from being on the palette that’s not right, they just shouldn’t dry out like they normally would. That being said if you leave them for a day or more they will get very thin.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
PSA: If you palette is made by a mini painting company (Redgrass, Army Painter, etc.) it comes with papers that work with mini paints. If not, it comes with papers meant for use with tube paint that canvas painters use that will not work with mini paints. In that case, you just buy cheap parchment paper and make sure it's not wax paper or silicone coated.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah that's right, it's really dependent on your ambient humidity. If you live in a swamp or you put the cover on it will water down and the paint will break. If you leave the cover off it will usually dry out over time. You can cover the palette with the lid kind of ajar and that will keep your paints ok but I don't have a lot of luck with Next Day Acrylic paints.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Duncan's Two Thin Paints is noticeably thinner out of the bottle than Vallejo and I'm very happy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Z the IVth posted:

2-part casting resin is suuuuper toxic if not fully cured and if your model is still sticky or wet I would dispose of it and ask for a refund. Handle with gloves, wash hands religiously etc etc.

Edit - do you make injection moulded toys?

Oh poo poo, I have to go throw something out

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you're in the UK Lakeland Baking Parchment works very well. When I used a DiY palette it was my paper of choice. It is sillicone coated and very non-stick (tape slides right off). I decided to grab a small RGG palette once that came with pre-cut sheets and those are more convenient though indistinguishable performance wise. I did find you have to wet the parchment before you apply it to the palette for best results. Applying it dry didn't work as well. The RGG doesn't need to be pre-wet.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dollar Tree parchment paper has always worked great for me, they sell it in rolls or pre-cut sheets

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i feel like i made a mistake using elmers glue for my basing. the good news is that i have a lot of it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Every single time I try metallic paints, I get frustrated, then I try my single Vallejo Metal Color paint I own because it's stupid expensive, and it works perfectly

Every single time I buy the parchment paper from gameenvy, I get massively disappointed and the edges of the paper curls and you need to get weights to hold it down

I love the redgrass paper but it's so expensive

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every single time I try metallic paints, I get frustrated, then I try my single Vallejo Metal Color paint I own because it's stupid expensive, and it works perfectly

Seems you've figured out the solution here.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Seems you've figured out the solution here.

Too much money and too much of a pain to get enough of the range I want

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Every single time I buy the parchment paper from gameenvy, I get massively disappointed and the edges of the paper curls and you need to get weights to hold it down

How's the VMC gold paint? I'm kind of getting sick of Retributor Armors bullshit.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Too much money and too much of a pain to get enough of the range I want

NMM wins again!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

NMM wins again!!

I just bought the Kimera NMM set, from a Kickstarter, I haven't tried it just yet....

AndyElusive posted:

How's the VMC gold paint? I'm kind of getting sick of Retributor Armors bullshit.

I haven't tried it, but if it works like Durarilliumn then one pass.

It's like laying down sheet metal

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I've been very pleased with every Pro Acryl metallic I've used.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Muir posted:

I've been very pleased with every Pro Acryl metallic I've used.

Silver took two coats when I tried mine two days ago, but the brightness is nice

I just want a replacement for leadbelcher and rune lord brass and retributor armor so I can stop buying citadel paints but keep the color

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've mentioned Amazing Figure Modeler here before, and it doesn't affect many people since there are only a handful doing garage kits, but they're having a big sale on their back issues. They've gone to a digital-mag format since there's just no money in small niche print mags anymore, so they're clearing out their stock. 50% off on most back issues. Fun mag, lots of cool models, lots of tips and tricks you can apply to all sorts of kits. You won't see many minis in the mag, since they focus on larger format busts and statues, but tons of the tips and tutorials can be applied to mini painting and basing. Just a fun read too, seeing all the cool models the pros turn out.

https://www.amazingfiguremodeler.com/shop

Some past covers to stoke anyones interest:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Silver took two coats when I tried mine two days ago, but the brightness is nice

I just want a replacement for leadbelcher and rune lord brass and retributor armor so I can stop buying citadel paints but keep the color

Pro Acryl Rich Gold is pretty drat close to Retributor Armor as I look at them both right now. Pro Acryl Dark Silver might be a bit darker than Leadbelcher. Not sure about Runelord Brass. Maybe Pro Acryl Bronze or Light Bronze.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminium is a pretty close replacement for leadbelcher, and it's so much easier to apply. Thin and amazing coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vallejo Model Colour Steel and Gunmetal are both excellent paints. Their coppers and golds are poo poo.

Citadel Retributor armour is excellent if you like that very deep rich yellow gold.

If you want a copper I've found Contrast Gore Grunta Fur over a silver of your choice to be better than any dedicated copper paint I've tried.

Similarly Nazdreg Yellow and Snakebite Leather Contrast over silver also give very nice golden shades.

For paper curling issues, I would suggest wetting the parchment under a tap before placing it on the palette. It really works and the excess water can be mopped up later.