Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s exactly the problem. National Filling Factories had about 10 000 employees, were serviced by two rail lines, often had a tram line within the factory etc.

Factories are Lostech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Cerebral Bore posted:

"aside from the fact that one place produced about a million times more poo poo the factories are p much the same" is one hell of an argument i gotta admit

did you read the specific complaints in the tweet? That it looks old and dirty?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s exactly the problem. National Filling Factories had about 10 000 employees, were serviced by two rail lines, often had a tram line within the factory etc.

I like the incredibly optimistic fire water bucket

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it looks like a tiny workshop where aging master craftsmen practice a dying art, knowing that they have no apprentices onto which they may pass their esoteric knowledge but determined to keep the last embers of their artifice smouldering to their dying breath

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I like the incredibly optimistic fire water bucket

tbf, if something starts burning and you aren't able to put it out with that bucket, it's probably beyond the point of no return :v:

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.anduril.com/roadrunner/

this is the oculus guys company right?

saw this thing posted on hacker news, also this funny post about working there

quote:

It's not that great. I would know, I work there. The marketing is the poo poo though. It makes all the tech look like it's the greatest thing ever. The mentality here at this company is hack hack hack and the quality of the product reflect this. Don't expect German engineered precision. Expect products with poor quality, poor reliability and a failure rate that is very very high.
What is good about this company is that we build things fast and there's not of lot of slacking going on that you see in most of the defense industry. We make things fast and cheap, but they're very poor quality.
To give one example take a look at our counter UAS:
https://www.anduril.com/capability/counter-uas/
Watch the video it will give you chills. What the video won't show is how ineffective this product is. The enemy sends one drone, maybe it will work. If the enemy sends 3 or 4 we're done. This poo poo barely works, I wouldn't trust my life with it at all. All tests and demonstrations showed utter failure and STILL even though we failed on all the tests we STILL got a contract from the government. There's for sure money changing hands behind the scenes.
It also doesn't show you how crappy the UI is. You think we have a custom UI device to control this thing? No. It's react running in chrome on windows. It's also really poorly designed. The initial UI was made by some kid straight out of school and it was just poorly optimized. And despite this... The government still bought it, simply because a crap product is the only available option.
And to be real with you, we can't beat China tech. In terms of the quality, price and speed ratio, China dominates anduril by a landslide. The US can dominate on quality, but we we give up speed and price as a result. And if you want quality, anduril is not at the forefront of this at all.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

izagoof posted:

iterating fast and failing often is still way better than the existing dod product development ecosystem

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
anduril, fuckin (other) Tolkien nerds

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Delta-Wye posted:

iterating fast and failing often is still way better than the existing dod product development ecosystem

it doesn’t sound like the decision making around the failure part is any different, though, plus we get to see fart app brain at work on weapons systems

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
that HN thread is rough. Dumb bazingas absolutely love impractical magic tech solutions

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

that HN thread is rough. Dumb bazingas absolutely love impractical magic tech solutions

just noticed the top post links to a dcs grim reapers video, lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

izagoof posted:

lol they’re not even really trying anymore

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

finally a missile that can take off without a runway

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

on second thought i fully support the use of lovely missiles that automatically fly back to the launch site after they miss

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Two turbojet engines in a missile designed to intercept commercial off the shelf electric drones is very economical

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

quote:

In terms of the quality, price and speed ratio, China dominates anduril by a landslide. The US can dominate on quality, but we we give up speed and price as a result. And if you want quality, anduril is not at the forefront of this at all.
I love how the quote says "well the Chinese have price and speed on their side but America can compete on quality. But our product is poo poo so we don't actually have quality either."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Can't wait to go to war with China only to run out of US-made griftweapons in the first week and have to call Xi up asking if he'll sell us some drones

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

izagoof posted:

are most SAM sub-sonic?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Two turbojet engines in a missile designed to intercept commercial off the shelf electric drones is very economical

Drake no: gun aa
Drake yes: tiny airforce

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

are most SAM sub-sonic?

Idk are most strike aircraft subsonic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

well wikipedia says the stinger goes mach 2.2....

but dont worry, special forces are already spending money on these

quote:

Luckey said the company now has one “US customer,” but declined to disclose just who it is. However, US Special Operations Command fiscal 2024 budget request documents note that the special operations community is seeking $19 million this year to “accelerate” development of a counter-unmanned aerial system (cUAS) dubbed “Roadrunner” that is designed to down Group 3 drones. (In DoD parlance, Group 3 refers to UAVs that weigh less than 1,320 pounds, so at least the special ops effort does not appear directed at full-sized aircraft.)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Xi masterfully outsmarting the US government at their own game, agreeing to sell the US drones for four times the cost to manufacture them, thereby giving China three free drones for each drone sent to the US guaranteeing drone supremacy

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Anyone here know if there were prior times in history that a nation outsourced and gutted its military production to the extent that the USA is doing now?

Is this like a normal thing that empires do sometimes as they come to an end, or is this a somewhat unique way to go out?

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
does pre-industrial empires adopting raider cultures wholesale as dedicated royal/palace military orders and then those orders becoming rebellious down the line count?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Votskomit posted:

Anyone here know if there were prior times in history that a nation outsourced and gutted its military production to the extent that the USA is doing now?

Is this like a normal thing that empires do sometimes as they come to an end, or is this a somewhat unique way to go out?

Rome? No it's pretty normal late stage of declining empire stuff.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Votskomit posted:

not unheard of

one of my favorite stories is the battle of mohacs in Hungary. Hungarian nobles elected their kings. they wanted to pay less for a standing army against the ottomans so they elected a guy who drastically shrank their forces. the ottomans rolled in and killed the king and obliterated their tiny force and conquered huge swathes of territory. rich people do incredibly stupid poo poo to save a couple bucks.

in terms of imperial scale though I don’t have a great example

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I like yet another Security State bullshit thing named after something from Lord of the Rings. These loving nerds

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Votskomit posted:

As others have said, there's an internal tension within states where the same ruling class that benefits most from expansion doesn't like to pay the cost of maintenance, when the borders are stable. This extended way beyond the Romans and the federated tribes, though that's the best known example. The Byzantines contracted European knights to much of their fighting at various times, which led to the escapades of the Catalan Company, the Persian Empire used Greek mercenaries extensively, pretty much any settled people the bordered pastoral/nomadic people employed them, and of course the Carthaginian were almost destroyed by their own mercenaries.

I would say differences here is that, sort of like deindustrialization for spreadsheet capitalism, they're not cutting costs of the military, they are just spending money in ways that serves no purpose other than enriching the ruling class. They would be better off paying mercenaries because they would get actual military forces out of the deal. This is something else.

There's not really historical precedent on the policy side either, because in pre-industrial or industrial societies, military cuts would accompany a swords into ploughshares type thing as the ruling class would still benefit from state spending. So, soldiers into colonists, shipyards turned over to merchant shipping, that sort of thing. That's not really happening here either.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

So, soldiers into colonists, shipyards turned over to merchant shipping, that sort of thing. That's not really happening here either.
the shipyards were turned over to the merchants, and they converted them into bougie rear end adult recreational areas

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I like yet another Security State bullshit thing named after something from Lord of the Rings. These loving nerds

behold the Bombardier Accurate Delivery Integrated Launcher, or BOMB-ADIL

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lol I'd like to see the monthly production of usable military equipment from NATO vs Iran/Yemen/Gaza.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

There's not really historical precedent on the policy side either, because in pre-industrial or industrial societies, military cuts would accompany a swords into ploughshares type thing as the ruling class would still benefit from state spending. So, soldiers into colonists, shipyards turned over to merchant shipping, that sort of thing. That's not really happening here either.

They are, and were. Then the privatized infrastructure got destroyed through lack of maintenance and/or just outright outsourced overseas because labor is cheaper elsewhere and capital investment is bad for juicing quarterly and annual reports for those sweet, sweet C-level performance bonuses.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Countries haven't been able to move the industries outside of the border whole sale until the development of container shipping.

I don't know if Marx had considered this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Votskomit posted:

the ancient MIC was hiring mercenaries that got paid by their generals from war booty so they constantly needed to be attacking stuff, which included the empires hiring them when there was nothing left to attack

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

As others have said, there's an internal tension within states where the same ruling class that benefits most from expansion doesn't like to pay the cost of maintenance, when the borders are stable. This extended way beyond the Romans and the federated tribes, though that's the best known example. The Byzantines contracted European knights to much of their fighting at various times, which led to the escapades of the Catalan Company, the Persian Empire used Greek mercenaries extensively, pretty much any settled people the bordered pastoral/nomadic people employed them, and of course the Carthaginian were almost destroyed by their own mercenaries.

I would say differences here is that, sort of like deindustrialization for spreadsheet capitalism, they're not cutting costs of the military, they are just spending money in ways that serves no purpose other than enriching the ruling class. They would be better off paying mercenaries because they would get actual military forces out of the deal. This is something else.

it owns that the carthaginian merc war was started because a merc warlord leader named i poo poo you not "spendius" was unhappy with a payment deal.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Real hurthling! posted:

it owns that the carthaginian merc war was started because a merc warlord leader named i poo poo you not "spendius" was unhappy with a payment deal.

stupid star wars rear end world

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Since leaving Carthage, Hamilcar had treated rebels he had captured well and offered them a choice of joining his army or free passage home. He made the same offer to the 4,000 captives from the recent battle. The rebel leaders perceived this generous treatment as the motivation behind Naravas's defection and feared the disintegration of their army; they were aware that such generous terms would not be extended to them personally. To remove the possibility of any goodwill between the sides, Spendius, encouraged by his fellow leader the Gaul Autaritus, had 700 Carthaginian prisoners, including Gisco, tortured to death: they had their hands cut off, were castrated, had their legs broken and were thrown into a pit and buried alive. The mercenary leader and skilled polyglot orator Autaritus is cited by Polybius as a chief instigator of this massacre. Hamilcar, in turn, killed his prisoners. From this point, neither side showed any mercy, and the unusual ferocity of the fighting caused Polybius to term it the "Truceless War". Any further prisoners taken by the Carthaginians were trampled to death by elephants."

All because Spendius wasn't happy with his pay.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Any further prisoners taken by the Carthaginians were trampled to death by elephants."

How punic

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

some mad lad uploaded a complete teardown of a javelin guidance system on youtube :trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China has likely also broken America's military and diplomatic codes. It's pretty much the only way WW3 shakes out.