Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Dragon Quest IV was my favourite DQ for a long time so I'm excited to see how the new Monsters game's story goes.

Also, I like Capsichum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
OT for tomorrow got canceled and I'm gonna celebrate by staying up way too late and playing my Nintendo Switch!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

OT for tomorrow got canceled and I'm gonna celebrate by staying up way too late and playing my Nintendo Switch!

let's loving go

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, Waluigi had an excellent design. This one's just pretty boring. Can't say we missed much.

tbf it's an early design that miyamoto rejected without looking at. Though that's one miyamoto story I actually find funny since he assumed they were just gonna copy the villain from a particular kids' show (Yatterman), which if you look up the villain crew makes it clear that he already thought waluigi was ripping it off

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 1, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Annath posted:

I get that they're more accurate to the mainline names.

I think the mainline DQ games are full of lame names.

Puns are fine, but the puns they use are lame.

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

Like, come on, those don't sound dumb to you?

mods rename this guy to Batatouille

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://twitter.com/oliemack/status/1730600956637945954

shocking absolutely nobody, it looks like arkham knight on switch suffers big time from lazy devitis :(

Steps up to the open mic, coughs: 'More like Arkham Shite'

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

jackhunter64 posted:

Steps up to the open mic, coughs: 'More like Arkham Shite'

:golfclap:

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Annath posted:

I didn't want to use "loving stupid".

And Sham Hatwich is, uh, I honestly don't know.

I guess I would just prefer fewer, higher quality puns, rather than "we're making as many things puns as possible".

Look I only brought it up because someone asked about the other games and I wanted to offer my honest thoughts. What's the benefit of saying I think they're all awesome if that's not what I actually think?

I hate the newer DQ translations too. :hfive: I don't care if they're "more in the spirit" of the original, they are obnoxious as hell and make me actively less interested in playing. The older American version had jokes and puns too!

Some jabronis are just really invested in making sure you know your preference is wrong, actually.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Puns are fun and good. Dragon Quest tries to make everything a pun and as a result for every Ham Shamwitch and Sham Hatwitch you have one that feels like it exists because it has to come hell or high water.

Silver Falcon posted:

Better than Pokemon, you say? I was already intrigued by this game but now I am extra intrigued.

How does it compare to Monster Hunter Stories? I absolutely adore that game.

And actually another question, this one is a sequel to other Dragon Quest Monsters games right? Some/none(?) of them were released outside Japan? Does playing this one require any prior knowledge of the series?

I've never played the MH Stories games so I can't compare them.

Annath posted:

And then there's just the weird change of "breeding" the monsters to "combining" them.

I'm glad they got rid of gender as an extra factor to deal with and just let you blend two monsters together in DQM3. It was annoying having to reload because one of the 29473832 steps in the endgame fusion you're making ended up being the wrong gender and couldn't be fused with the next monster in the chain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I cannot comprehend how one can both hate puns yet like Dragon Quest. Goofy wordplay is in the very DNA of that series!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pining for the halcyon days of the NES with their faux medieval accents.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

feetnotes posted:

I hate the newer DQ translations too. :hfive: I don't care if they're "more in the spirit" of the original, they are obnoxious as hell and make me actively less interested in playing. The older American version had jokes and puns too!

Some jabronis are just really invested in making sure you know your preference is wrong, actually.

are you a guy who also still likes the Vic Ireland cut of Lunar?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Devs need to continue to create low quality ports so Nintendo is pushed toward new hardware.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Trials of Mana run well? I liked the SNES version a lot and would like to play the new version.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't remember dwelling on any performance issues when I played through it personally. (It's a good game and you should play it)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

feetnotes posted:

Some jabronis really want to die on a tiny hill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feetnotes posted:

I mean in this specific case it is wrong, yes. You are upset the brightly animated cartoon RPG with tons of goofy character designs is silly. If you don't want a silly RPG then you don't play it, but it is like saying "I would like Mario more if he cursed a bunch and they didn't have ridiculous level names like Mushroom Kingdom." You're free to hold that opinion but you're looking for a different kind of game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Evil Fluffy posted:

Puns are fun and good. Dragon Quest tries to make everything a pun and as a result for every Ham Shamwitch and Sham Hatwitch you have one that feels like it exists because it has to come hell or high water.

I've never played the MH Stories games so I can't compare them.

I'm glad they got rid of gender as an extra factor to deal with and just let you blend two monsters together in DQM3. It was annoying having to reload because one of the 29473832 steps in the endgame fusion you're making ended up being the wrong gender and couldn't be fused with the next monster in the chain.

Re: gender - the egg evaluator made that a non-issue, you could change the gender of the monster before hatching it in order to fit your needs.

And one thing I did want to acknowledge re: names is that some of the charm I found in the GBC games was in the goofy (but not punny) translations. For example, Agdevil is a cool devil! His name is a harsh, gutteral, devil name!

No, actually, his real name is Silver Devil, but due to restrictions on the number of characters in the names, they translated "Silver" as "Ag", the elemental abbreviation for silver :downs:

I dunno, I loved that kind of thing lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Mario should curse a bunch, you're right

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

mods rename this guy to Batatouille

i'll take the compromise, thank you anonymous goon

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I was pro-puns but some of you people are making me reconsider my position.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I guess we can expect wapeach cosplay to turn up pretty soon.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Wapeach should be called Plum.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Meowywitch posted:

are you a guy who also still likes the Vic Ireland cut of Lunar?

That's sort of the opposite stance, the Vic/Working Designs translations were notoriously goofy and changed a lot, the people here want a less goofy translation.

I just assume that every awful, "that not even a joke" tier pun was the same level in Japanese.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Inzombiac posted:

Does Trials of Mana run well? I liked the SNES version a lot and would like to play the new version.

It runs fine on Switch but its 30 FPS while the PS4 version is 60 FPS.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean in this specific case it is wrong, yes. You are upset the brightly animated cartoon RPG with tons of goofy character designs is silly. If you don't want a silly RPG then you don't play it, but it is like saying "I would like Mario more if he cursed a bunch and they didn't have ridiculous level names like Mushroom Kingdom." You're free to hold that opinion but you're looking for a different kind of game.

I'm not, though! No one ever said Dragon Quest should not have jokes! A couple of just said we liked the old jokes much more. My goodness.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Man, I've used that avatar for like a decade. :(

I'm on mobile so I can't tell if it overrode my Diamond Frogs logo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where my Turok 3 peeps at!!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Annath posted:

Man, I've used that avatar for like a decade. :(

I'm on mobile so I can't tell if it overrode my Diamond Frogs logo.

changing peoples avs for little to no reason should be treated with more care imo

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Annath posted:

I get that they're more accurate to the mainline names.

I think the mainline DQ games are full of lame names.

Puns are fine, but the puns they use are lame.

"Bewarewolf"?

"Ratscal"?

"Batatouille"?

Like, come on, those don't sound dumb to you?

those are all good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Where my Turok 3 peeps at!!!

Certainly not on Opencritic

Yeah I know it is likely just a duplicate entry marked for deletion, albeit in a kludgy way but I thought it was funny.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I will never delete a Turok game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I don't wanna grab another full-priced game just now cuz I'm trying to finish the ones I have first, but I'll be done with work in a few mins and gently caress yeah I'll at least grab the DQ Monsters demo to see what I think about it!

I'm guessing I will love it. This game sounds laser targeted at me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they should put the first two on virtual console

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feetnotes posted:

I'm not, though! No one ever said Dragon Quest should not have jokes! A couple of just said we liked the old jokes much more. My goodness.

This entire discussion started because people wanted jokes/silly things that were in the Japanese version taken out!

Like honestly, to go over the names here:

"Bewarewolf"? - The Japanese name is "Lycant" and basically is supposed to be a variation on Lycanthrope but not exactly. There's a whole weird line of jokes/name evolutions that come from it so the translation building from Werewolf makes sense. The original translation was... Wolf, which is missing a pretty important part of the monster concept. (In fact it isn't called Werewolf until it's final pallet swap in the original English translation!)

"Ratscal"? - This one is a case where the Japanese name (Mountain Mouse) is changed to a joke, though it's worth noting that the Japanese name was weird because it doesn't appear in mountains so it's possible it is just a joke I don't get. (But looking it up it seems like Japanese sources also say "Why is it called a mountain mouse? No idea!") The joke also doesn't translate over to the 'higher tier' versions so :shrug:

"Batatouille"? The Japanese name is like "Mousebat" and the joke behind it is "Is it a bat or a mouse pretending to be a bat." The name's a bit of a stretch but I admit I'd have a hard time coming up with a good way to convey such a weird idea in a simple name.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I will never delete a Turok game

I AM TUROK

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ImpAtom posted:

This entire discussion started because people wanted jokes/silly things that were in the Japanese version taken out!

Like honestly, to go over the names here:

"Bewarewolf"? - The Japanese name is "Lycant" and basically is supposed to be a variation on Lycanthrope but not exactly. There's a whole weird line of jokes/name evolutions that come from it so the translation building from Werewolf makes sense. The original translation was... Wolf, which is missing a pretty important part of the monster concept. (In fact it isn't called Werewolf until it's final pallet swap in the original English translation!)

"Ratscal"? - This one is a case where the Japanese name (Mountain Mouse) is changed to a joke, though it's worth noting that the Japanese name was weird because it doesn't appear in mountains so it's possible it is just a joke I don't get. (But looking it up it seems like Japanese sources also say "Why is it called a mountain mouse? No idea!") The joke also doesn't translate over to the 'higher tier' versions so :shrug:

"Batatouille"? The Japanese name is like "Mousebat" and the joke behind it is "Is it a bat or a mouse pretending to be a bat." The name's a bit of a stretch but I admit I'd have a hard time coming up with a good way to convey such a weird idea in a simple name.

Did you write the first sentence and then go look up the Japanese names afterwards? Because the rest of your post disagrees with the point you're trying to make.

I like the puns but people are being way too aggressive about defending them, the old translations had their charm too and there's nothing wrong with preferring them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
DQM very early trip report

Performance isn't improved from what we saw in the demo but it is better than S/V and if you can stomach that or the 3ds DQM games you'll be fine. The visuals are a (small) step up from the 3ds games and monster models are done rather well with nice little touches to their animations.

I barely did the tutorial area but it's insanely addicting as always to scout as many mons as you can see, and the seasons changing th available mobs is gonna be fun I think.

Can't speak for much past the first hour or whether the game will be any challenging but I'll probably end up loving this just because collecting classic DQ monsters is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Did you write the first sentence and then go look up the Japanese names afterwards? Because the rest of your post disagrees with the point you're trying to make.

I like the puns but people are being way too aggressive about defending them, the old translations had their charm too and there's nothing wrong with preferring them.

No? The initial point of the discussion was the spell names, not the monster names. They get brought up afterwards

Annath posted:

I don't mind the puns at all.

What I don't like are the immensely cringe terms used for the various spells and attacks.

Frizz, Kafrizz, Kaboomle, Zing... They're just so stupid, especially since the original DQM games used perfectly normal words like Blaze, Vivify, Fireball, etc.

Also, the player being a "Monster Master" is less lame than "Monster Wrangler", and "Recruiting" monsters is less lame than "scouting" them.

And then there's just the weird change of "breeding" the monsters to "combining" them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaboomle so much better than Fireball