Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I want to see what the cybertrucks look like after a month in an area that uses salt or calcium chloride in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like Tesla should have just made a normal looking truck.

Also that video was just a bunch of drag races and I got bored.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Is the stainless coated at all, or just bare metal?

Rust Resistant is going to be interesting to see after a few salty winters. Also curious to see what warm weather design thinking went into this one and how it fares in places with actual snowy winters.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
They’ve placed the charging port in a colossally stupid place, right behind the rear wheel opening where it’s guaranteed to get water and salt infiltration.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They didn’t make the frame out of stainless (AFAIK), and that’s the part I’d be worried about. Saturn used plastic body panels for years, and those don’t oxidize in any way that matters, but they still rust underneath. I doubt the Cybertruck is gonna do anything different.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Charleston is loving crawling with Teslas and Rivians and I cannot wait to see some broski catch his poo poo on fire at the boat landing by rolling it into the ICW and flooding the batteries with saltwater.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Full Collapse posted:

I want to like Jason, but yeah, his persona bleeds way too often into caracature.

Derek Tam (hyphen) Scott is the real star of the podcast, imo.

That’s interesting, I want to like their podcast but can’t stand it. Their conversations meander without any focus and usually take forever to get to an actual point.

Cammisa makes a great guest on other podcasts though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Bajaha posted:

Is the stainless coated at all, or just bare metal?

No coating, the video I watched interviewed the "designers" and they claimed you can just buff out marks with a scotchbrite.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
they really should've gone galvanized, imho

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Peep the gear selector on the cybertrukk, i won't spoil the surprise openly: touchscreen primary with backup capacitive buttons on the roof where you'd expect the map lights to be.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Midjack posted:

Peep the gear selector on the cybertrukk, i won't spoil the surprise openly: touchscreen primary with backup capacitive buttons on the roof where you'd expect the map lights to be.

The new model 3 is the same, this is across the board.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not to make you feel old but I don't think I've ever heard them called map lights before :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sab669 posted:

Not to make you feel old but I don't think I've ever heard them called map lights before :v:

Dope scope 4 lyfe

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Wait till you learn what they signal at truck stops.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

No coating, the video I watched interviewed the "designers" and they claimed you can just buff out marks with a scotchbrite.

Is the metal going to ‘patina’ if you don’t?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our new Escape has a spinny dial gear selector instead of a fake gear shift and it is much worse, especially for parking. The only benefit is it takes up less space and you don’t need to shift into park when you turn the car off.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

smackfu posted:

Our new Escape has a spinny dial gear selector instead of a fake gear shift and it is much worse, especially for parking. The only benefit is it takes up less space and you don’t need to shift into park when you turn the car off.

But… why?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Coat saving for the manufacturer, just like SCREENS everywhere. Probably.

It's always that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

No, why would you ever turn the car off in gear?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Instead of turning the shift dial to park then pressing the push button start to turn it off, you can just skip the first step. Just a convenience, I don’t think it hurts anything. I assume it only works if you are stopped.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mine only has a button for reverse. To engage first gear it's the up shift paddle. Neutral is both paddles at the same time. I turn it off in gear, which puts it in neutral and sets the parking brake. I doubt it was for cost saving.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

crash, sticking throttle, fire, rollovers, etc

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

cursedshitbox posted:

crash, sticking throttle, fire, rollovers, etc

You can do that with any car though. This one will put it in park

e: just seems like a strange thing to do is all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Why wouldn’t you if you don’t have to put the car in park? Both my Prius and bmw can do this and it’s cool and good. Just stop and shut the car off and get out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone have a Toyota Prime model? What do you think of the EV only mode? Is it usable or just a gimmick? Do you find yourself using it frequently or do you just turn it off and go hybrid?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I always leave my car parked in gear, it’s a failsafe incase the parking brake fails.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I like the pushbutton/wiper stalk/rotary dial gear selectors because they aren't pretending to be connected to anything like the big handle ones are.

You aren't fooling anyone. It's just a multi selection switch. Get a manual of you want to actually move stuff around in your car's guts.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheBacon posted:

I always leave my car parked in gear, it’s a failsafe incase the parking brake fails.

Yeah, I do the same in my manual cars. I don’t even use a parking brake in my autos. The manual car is in neutral when I turn it off though.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

fknlo posted:

Why wouldn’t you if you don’t have to put the car in park? Both my Prius and bmw can do this and it’s cool and good. Just stop and shut the car off and get out.

I have done this every day for the past 36 years in every car I have owned. I have never trusted the parking brake alone while leaving a manual car in neutral when parked.
I've seen cars roll down driveways and hills when people though parking brake is enough.

Never once had this cause any issues with my clutches, nor have I needed to swap out a clutch earlier than expected.

If anyone thinks turning a car off in gear causes an issue with a car, I promise you it does not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

I have done this every day for the past 36 years in every car I have owned. I have never trusted the parking brake alone while leaving a manual car in neutral when parked.
I've seen cars roll down driveways and hills when people though parking brake is enough.

Never once had this cause any issues with my clutches, nor have I needed to swap out a clutch earlier than expected.

If anyone thinks turning a car off in gear causes an issue with a car, I promise you it does not.

Yeah, my manual cars are also always parked in gear. I think this was in reference to automatic cars, but when the gear shift isn't actually connected to the transmission the car automatically goes into park when you shut it off.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Was, "wearing down the parking pawl" ever true in automatic transmissions?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Has anyone ever had a parking brake failure or is this one of those car guy myths?

Is anyone here regularly parking on crazy gradients?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Has anyone ever had a parking brake failure or is this one of those car guy myths?

I've had a couple.
Yugo, Disco 1, the farm truck, etc.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Generally you'll know pretty fast if the parking brake isn't gonna work on a steep incline but I've had nervous experiences with old-worn-out cable-actuated ones. Why not put the car in gear for a little extra safety?

If the pad breaks static friction on an incline and there's noting for the car to run into (curb, other cars...) it is NOT stopping. Dunno how applicable the old "turn the wheels towards the curb! Put it in gear!" advice is now that there aren't too many cable-actuated brakes left though

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Full Collapse posted:

Yes - especially on 60s - 1980 Fords

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/but-wait-theres-more/a1913301/little-warning-label-saved-ford-23-million-vehicle-recall/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dunno how applicable the old "turn the wheels towards the curb! Put it in gear!" advice is now that there aren't too many cable-actuated brakes left though

Regardless of what starts the car rolling, if the wheels point downhill toward the curb it won't go far.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gangringo posted:

I like the pushbutton/wiper stalk/rotary dial gear selectors because they aren't pretending to be connected to anything like the big handle ones are.

On our “old” 2016 car, it was definitely attached to a cable that ran to the engine bay. I know because the other end of the cable came detached and our car was stuck in park in a parking lot. And had to be towed in park.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

One of our fleet trucks had the parking pawl get worn to the point it didn't engage properly, but that was like a late '80's Chevy and pretty old and abused.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You can do that with any car though. This one will put it in park

e: just seems like a strange thing to do is all.
The ZF 8 speed does the same thing. If you shut off the car while it’s in gear, it’ll put it into park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I grew up and learned to drive living on a hill in SF.