Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah i'll take odunze... or somebody like that with the 39th pick. bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want to believe that Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll will see a playmaker like Jayden Daniels and make him their franchise quarterback. Does he have the traits to actually do that? He’s put up numbers at LSU this year but I hardly hear people talking about him

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

yeah i'll take odunze... or somebody like that with the 39th pick. bastard

Treat Odunze well, I think he’d be a great fit with Burrow. Odunze is great at working those layered throws between coverage.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What running back will be available at Seahawks first round pick because after back to back second round running backs the problem is clear: need that first round talent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carlosologist posted:

I want to believe that Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll will see a playmaker like Jayden Daniels and make him their franchise quarterback. Does he have the traits to actually do that? He’s put up numbers at LSU this year but I hardly hear people talking about him

He runs a lot like Lamar and has a good arm his ceiling is pretty high

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Treat Odunze well, I think he’d be a great fit with Burrow. Odunze is great at working those layered throws between coverage.

i'll trade back to 15 and take him there to be safe and wrap him up in safe material with a big kiss. thank you my beautiful bubby

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Daltos which possible 1st round QB on the board gives you the worst vibes that you dont want the Giants to take so I know what to be mad about

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Never been so excited to stare down tight ends and left tackles. We must support the Hawaiian.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Daltos which possible 1st round QB on the board gives you the worst vibes that you dont want the Giants to take so I know what to be mad about

Drake Maye because he shits his pants any time there's pressure in his face.

The hater knocks I have on each QB:

Jayden Daniels: Terrible QB at ASU
Caleb Williams: Looks off easy routes
Bo Nix: Inaccurate and gets bailed out by great WRs
Quinn Ewers: Dumb as bricks, inaccurate throws due to lovely technique
J.J. McCarthy: Bailed out by elite offensive line
Penix: Just average
Shedeur Sanders: Baby arm
Carson Beck: Just a game manager
Michael Pratt: Only looks like a NFL QB on bootlegs
Tyler Van Dyke: All arm no brains
Spencer Rattler: Gets rattled (in the pocket)
Joe Milton III: One read QB
Jaxson Dart: Micky mouse offense

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Van Dyke entered the transfer portal so presumably he’s not coming out this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yea same with Leonard and D.J. not sure if I should list any of them but you never know

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Leonard looks cool, though I'm not sure if he'll ever be NFL cool, but I certainly hope so.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doltos posted:

Caleb Williams: Looks off easy routes so much hero ball where he does both incredible and incredibly dumb poo poo
Bo Nix: Inaccurate and gets bailed out by great WRs a bit old since he's literally a 7th year senior
Penix: Just average some horrifying injury history as well
Joe Milton III: One read QB and just dumb as hell at the QB thing, think Zach Wilson. All arm talent, no brain

added more to some of these. lol Jayden has got to have some real negatives that aren't just "when he was younger he was bad"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i hope Jaxson Dart gets drafted and plays in NFL games so more people can have the experience of thinking "this mfers name is Jaxson Dart?"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Relentlessboredomm posted:

added more to some of these. lol Jayden has got to have some real negatives that aren't just "when he was younger he was bad"

Bama and FSU games this year were really rough for him. I don't have the All 22 but I think he was loving up his deep balls. He has a problem with his release where it's fluid when it works but otherwise it's inconsistent. Also while he runs like Lamar with the lean forward technique he doesn't give himself up and takes bad hits.

Other than that his tape has been awesome. He's just a gamer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

added more to some of these.

I am excited to see which team hypes themselves up enough to overdraft Joe Milton. He needs very specific team coaches to even have a chance to be mediocre in the NFL, and you loving know some garbage team will draft him in the 2nd or whatever because ~HE CAN THROW NINETY YARDS~.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Knocks on daniels from very casual observer:

Not very good pre-LSU
Is extremely skinny
A little old(will be 23 at draft, turn 24 during next season)
arm is good but not amazing

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Daniels was starting as a true freshman at ASU and then only got 4 games the next because of COVID season. Not many true freshman QBs look good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know why "bad at the start of college" is a knock on players who are clearly good now. It's a lot better than the other way around and ASU was a terrible situation with Herm.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was referring to his junior year but yea I generally forgive for true freshman starts

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Daniels needs to add like 50 pounds to his frame

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Since when did “is a little old” matter so much, Chris Weinke excepted? If a guy you drafted is thirty-five instead of thirty-two when you have to decide if he’s gonna get a third big contract, you’ve already won with that pick!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Youth often correlates with growth potential. It's one of the few useful shorthands for gauging how close a player is to their ceiling. On top of that there is the obvious value of getting more prime years if your pick is younger.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I personally think age doesn't matter at all since every position but kicker and QB has a short shelf life on average. People are too used to madden drafting where you take a 21 year old kid with A+ potential and he's a 99 overall by the time he's 22 while the stats never drop til he's 30. In real life even if that guy existed he'd probably leave in free agency from your small market team.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Do you really think market is a big factor in the NFL? With the salary cap and franchise tags the guys with an opportunity to profit off a big market aren't strongly empowered to move there.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dak Prescott was 23 going into his rookie season. He's turned out ok imo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

I personally think age doesn't matter at all since every position but kicker and QB has a short shelf life on average. People are too used to madden drafting where you take a 21 year old kid with A+ potential and he's a 99 overall by the time he's 22 while the stats never drop til he's 30. In real life even if that guy existed he'd probably leave in free agency from your small market team.

The most unrealistic part of this post is thinking market size matters in the NFL.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not market size per se but I find it hard to imagine that if the majority of players come from Florida/Texas/California then they wouldn't prefer those locations in free agency. I also think that Seattle has gone on record saying that free agents don't like playing there because of the location but I'd have to find it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cash Monet posted:

Dak Prescott was 23 going into his rookie season. He's turned out ok imo.

Ok is one way to put it. He's a top 5 QB in his division

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

Not market size per se but I find it hard to imagine that if the majority of players come from Florida/Texas/California then they wouldn't prefer those locations in free agency. I also think that Seattle has gone on record saying that free agents don't like playing there because of the location but I'd have to find it.

No doubt people have preferences, it's a nice little edge in a tie goes to the hometown type way. I don't think it's anything more than that. Money is the thing, especially for guys in those prime year 2nd or 3rd contracts. Even a 5% difference is usually millions and millions of dollars. Based on what I've seen, NFL players don't usually consider the marginal utility of those additional dollars.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm sure "no income tax in our state" is a nice bonus from the six or so teams that benefit from that.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

BlindSite posted:

Isn't this Wade Philips basic defensive philosophy for his 34 front? Just have your linemen crash and cause chaos as much as possible, edge will contain and your linebackers in the middle will flow and make the actual plays.

If you want to simplify it, yeah. It’s probably better understood as edge will either contain or speed rush depending on what the assignment is for the DE inside of them. If the guy inside of me is face up on a tackle, I’m either bending or trying a twist back unless it’s an outside zone team. If my guy is inside of the tackle, I’ve got spill and kill responsibility similar to the mint fronts that are in vogue now.

Doltos posted:

Caleb Williams: Looks off easy routes
Bo Nix: Inaccurate and gets bailed out by great WRs
Penix: Just average
Joe Milton III: One read QB

This year is going to read like more of a haters guide than most with supposed good QBs in the class (as in not the Pickett class). If I’m giving some annotations.

Daniels wasn’t terrible at ASU so much as just drastically mismanaged. They made him a one read guy because they couldn’t design a layered passing game for poo poo. There are throws their on tape even if no one could teach him reads.

Caleb looks like he gets overstimulated by basic air raid reads in favor of hero ball.

Bo is a YAC artist but might be an overqualified backup as a result. I kind of don’t get what he wants to be since he started as a vertical spread guy, has turned into a mesh god, and now they’re like trying to pretend he can his like a corner or scissors concept and that qualifies as getting his very game back? Weird.

Quinn has an all world arm and some bad bad feet and shoulders because most of his RPOs and bullshit in Sark’s offense are just the natural evolution of the Briles poo poo. Entire offense runs like a pick and roll and hinges on him being like 60% of what he can be.

JJ’s line this year can’t pass block as well against talent and he’s had to roll a lot and gotten away with quite a bit on those. Definite candidate for the Mayfield effect where he’s no longer a running threat and doesn’t have college margins anymore on his throws which make him eat poo poo.

Penix could be a Cousins type where he gets so good at little things he develops because he can do the layer throws but I don’t think his outs or fades translate yet. Also yikes on the injury history.

Shedeur holds the ball forever because otherwise someone could catch up and intercept or defend him easier. Baby arm but without the supernatural Burrow thing. You’re just hoping he can be Tua which isn’t the likely outcome and he’s already developing bad pressure habits.

Beck is funny because I want to love him but every time I see him throwing to an even matchup it’s either the safest back shoulder shot he can take or an absurd 50/50 ball he shouldn’t go near. No one has him throwing guys open even though he has the arm and personnel for it.

Pratt needs to play in a different offense for a year for me to feel good. Physical tools look like they’re there but the spacing even on bootleg throws in the post-option offense is really wonky.

Van Dyke sucks. Classic verts only guy who never learned an angle in his life and couldn’t even read the Josh Gattis package play offense.

Rattler is literally just an inferior Caleb which is really really funny.

Milton will have the strongest arm in NFL history and probably be out of the league mid camp unless he learns to get past a half field read.

Dart looks basically like they cloned Corral but made him hang balls even more because his receivers can’t bust things open. Bryce Petty?

As for Maye, the best news for him was Phil Longo taking the Wisconsin job because he got to do slightly more reads—at which point we all learned that he will immediately turn into a DDR superstar in the face of a blitz and throw wildly. If you sim pressure him you can almost call balls that should be picked like a receiver running an open streak for a touchdown against cover 0.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Maybe this will change with NIL, but it's seemed like if a player has "it" he goes to the NFL fairly quickly. If he doesn't have "it" he sits in college for a long time.

Your early 20s are also where you do your best and fastest learning, wouldn't it be better spent on learning against NFL talent instead of college talent?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
A lot of the guys competing with Daniels for the #3 spot are also overaged, with the notable exception of McCarthy if he declares

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe this will change with NIL, but it's seemed like if a player has "it" he goes to the NFL fairly quickly. If he doesn't have "it" he sits in college for a long time.

Your early 20s are also where you do your best and fastest learning, wouldn't it be better spent on learning against NFL talent instead of college talent?

Covid impacting years truncated that cycle a little bit too though, thankfully we're mostly past it now in terms of it affecting the pipeline. But I mean some guys the light just comes on a little later, guys develop better discipline around drinking, diet and their recovery habits etc, they find a coach they mesh with who knows how to teach them, maybe they've had a dogshit QB throwing to them or minimal talent, bad scheme etc.

You can forgive a year or two. I'd be more concerned with a guy who's 22 with a lot of miles on the tyres from how they were used in College than a guy who's turning 24 who has shown legitimate, consistent improvement.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want a great QB but seattle will pick in the late teens or early 20s so go ahead and gamble on big arm big talent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want a great QB but seattle will pick in the late teens or early 20s so go ahead and gamble on big arm big talent.

If you're willing to settle for "huge arm no talent" then boy do I have the quarterback for you!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I think NILs definitely complicate school stay now.

When it comes to talent that's more of a case by case basis, I believe. We've seen Tremaine Edmunds and Amobi Okoye suffer from leaving college too early and still getting man handled with a NFL training regimen. We've seen older prospects flame out in Weeden and Danny Watkins. I also think it's hard to quantify if staying in college and developing talent and size will better prepare someone than leaving early and getting into a NFL program, or visa versa.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mega64 posted:

If you're willing to settle for "huge arm no talent" then boy do I have the quarterback for you!

I’m listening…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Reading defenses is for nerds. Give me a huge brainless gladiator QB with a cannon arm. A certified himbo. Unleash the dragon.