Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
FDA has historically not been empowered to regulate the practice of medicine. The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act explicitly prohibits it.

FDA can control which substances and devices are allowed on the market, but they cannot tell doctors how to treat their patients.

Or rather, they couldn’t prior to this year. A section in the fiscal year 2023 omnibus broke the firewall, authorizing FDA to scrutinize off-label uses of medical devices.

I said at the time that this was a terrible thing to open the door on, and the attempts by the Fifth Circuit to revoke approval of mifepristone soon underscored that.

The so-called “abortion pill” (actually used to treat a variety of conditions), being a pill, remains behind the intact half of the firewall. And FDA is currently headed by a Democratic appointee who is not interested in making abortions unsafe or illegal, so the Fifth Circuit had to act against FDA by declaring that the drug should not have been approved more than twenty years ago

What should be obvious is that prospect of taking the Oval Office, appointing their own FDA commissioner, and interjecting themselves into the practice of medicine nationwide is an attractive one for regressives.

Half of a firewall isn’t going to look so great in one year, five years, nine years. Sooner or later, FDA will have a hostile head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Would you mind explaining more about how permitting the FDA to scrutinize medical device use had anything to do with a court revoking approval of a drug over the objections of the FDA? I think I'm missing the connection.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Won't matter too much if the Supreme Court strike down Chevron. FDAs mandate will evaporate over night.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Revoking approval wholesale is disruptive, because drugs have multiple uses, and more likely to be struck down by higher courts, which is where the mifepristone issue is at right now. The weird compromise of “well the drug can stay, but we’re putting up some hoops to get it” was a concession to the reality that it’s a bold stroke to, in 2023, revoke an approval made in 2000, against the wishes of the agency that made that approval.

If they can instead have FDA forbid some uses but not others, that’s much cleaner. They’re not there yet, but they’re closer than they were at any time since 1938.

BlueBlazer posted:

Won't matter too much if the Supreme Court strike down Chevron. FDAs mandate will evaporate over night.

The effects would compound with each other. The practice of medicine is mostly a state issue. If FDA involves themselves in it, that’s one thing, and if Chevron deference falls, then the federal courts are living vicariously through FDA, second‐guessing and overruling administrative decisions as they please.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are some downsides to the practice of medicine being the sole domain of the states.

As of March, Stella Immanuel held medical licenses in Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, and Texas.

quote:

Before Trump and his supporters embrace Immanuel’s medical expertise, though, they should consider other medical claims Immanuel has made—including those about alien DNA and the physical effects of having sex with witches and demons in your dreams.

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 2, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Right on, just like we should distrust Arabs for giving us alchemy... it even sounds like alqaida, coincidence???

I save my distrust for that inscrutable Algebra

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Baronash posted:

Would you mind explaining more about how permitting the FDA to scrutinize medical device use had anything to do with a court revoking approval of a drug over the objections of the FDA? I think I'm missing the connection.
There used to be a cast-iron principle that the FDA doesn’t tell doctors what to do. That principle got weakened, and it sets (currently weak) precedent for e.g. a Republican-picked FDA head telling doctors not to perform abortions (or setting prohibitively difficult “safety” requirements on them). Or, for that matter, saying that mifepristone is now approved for conditions x, y and z but no longer approved for abortion. Where that particular ruling comes in is that it would have been more dangerous and harder to strike down if they could have ruled that the FDA was wrong to allow doctors to use mifepristone for abortions, but not to allow them to use it for conditions x, y and z.

It’s also a godawful idea in its own right because the process of getting FDA approval is incredibly difficult and expensive. For a newly-developed product that’s one thing, since whoever’s creating it can at least hope to recoup costs, but there’s no money in going through that for off-label use of medical devices even when that use is widely accepted in the medical literature. Never mind emergency situations - off-label use of medical devices saved a lot of lives during the height of covid.

Also,

Agents are GO! posted:

We’re in the goddamn tech thread, how has no-one pointed out the real Great Satan yet? They gave us algorithms. It’s all their fault!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Variables can be anything they want? And they're teaching this to kids?!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hexadecimal? I won't let my kids dabble in witchcraft!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Don't be silly. Farming is 1k's of years older and taking shortcuts (the banal definition of "move fast and break stuff" kills famers every single week.

Shout-out and air horns to Lysenko, the real life agriculture version of the bay area tech bro. Farmers doing dumb poo poo is just the equivalent of idiots loving around with fork lifts. This guy was the real Move Fast and starve people Break Things guy of his time.

pumpinglemma posted:

We’re in the goddamn tech thread, how has no-one pointed out the real Great Satan yet? They gave us algorithms. It’s all their fault!

Uh, no they didn't, it's right there in the name.

Al Gore Rhythms

It's how he gave us the Internet.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Suck my series of tubes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pumpinglemma posted:

There used to be a cast-iron principle that the FDA doesn’t tell doctors what to do. That principle got weakened, and it sets (currently weak) precedent for e.g. a Republican-picked FDA head telling doctors not to perform abortions (or setting prohibitively difficult “safety” requirements on them). Or, for that matter, saying that mifepristone is now approved for conditions x, y and z but no longer approved for abortion. Where that particular ruling comes in is that it would have been more dangerous and harder to strike down if they could have ruled that the FDA was wrong to allow doctors to use mifepristone for abortions, but not to allow them to use it for conditions x, y and z.

It’s also a godawful idea in its own right because the process of getting FDA approval is incredibly difficult and expensive. For a newly-developed product that’s one thing, since whoever’s creating it can at least hope to recoup costs, but there’s no money in going through that for off-label use of medical devices even when that use is widely accepted in the medical literature. Never mind emergency situations - off-label use of medical devices saved a lot of lives during the height of covid.

Here’s a direct example for medical devices:

There are no implantable medical devices approved in the United States to help people who have had phalloplasty get and maintain erections. People undergoing phalloplasties are instead offered devices approved for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, used off‐label.

It’s a bad idea to give a federal agency the authority to eliminate a surgical option for transgender men, and I don’t even want to think about the feds gunning for IUDs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 2, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Suck my series of tubes

Rude!!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Agents are GO! posted:

Suck my series of tubes

Not until you help me reorganize my storage drive and empty my recycle bin

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Foxfire_ posted:

Sort of. The FDA does not independently test your device, they look at the documentation you provide with your submission. There is an assumption that you are not just completely fabricating things.
Every device is required to have a requirement specification written up, and some verification method and evidence for it. Generally, this will be multiple level of documents where you have some high level system requirements that get traced down to lower level documents (e.g. "The system must do X" in a system doc being traced to "The software must do Y" and "The hardware must do Z" in HW/SW requirement docs, then those tracing to specific verification tests in test protocols).

When you submit, the FDA will review all that documentation and decide if its adequate. This is not a rubberstamp, it is unusual for there to be no rounds of questions/conversation during submission and review.

There are also different classifications of devices based on risk, and the level of detail in requirements/test traceability and scrutiny will vary with that (a ventilator [class III] will get more review than an insulin pump [class II], and an insulin pump will get more review than a hospital bed [class I]).

(Review for changes to an already approved device is also generally less than initial review)

e:
US also generally does a more rigorous review than Europe. It is historically easier to get something on the market in Europe. That is changing in the last few years, EU has introduced more FDA-like requirements.
I work for a medical device company in the US, and this is a pretty good summary (I specialize in hardware more than software, so take this with a grain of salt). Medical device software falls under IEC 62304, which basically sets guidelines for managing software life cycle, and testing and verification, and the documentation of such. AFAIK it's uncommon for the FDA or notified bodies to second guess your documentation so long as it doesn't have any obvious gaps or contradictions. You're given the benefit of the doubt, at least until adverse incidents start piling up.

e: also lol at insulin pumps being class II. But the software must be class C, right??

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 2, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

https://fortune.com/2023/11/30/lucid-dream-startup-prophetic-headset-prepare-meetings-while-sleeping/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

REM-detecting sleep mask startups pop up every few years (since the 90s at least) and they all have the same problem - you're most likely to be woken up by the effect.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ruffian Price posted:

REM-detecting sleep mask startups pop up every few years (since the 90s at least) and they all have the same problem - you're most likely to be woken up by the effect.

What I liked more was the article itself, the joyful enthusiasm of “look how cool, employees gonna be able to work even when they sleep!”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I mean if i could work in my sleep but wake up refreshed and then have the actual day to not work and do whatever I want that might be intriguing

Somehow doubt that’s their aim though!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

pumpinglemma posted:

Chat-GPT can't code worth a drat on its own yet, but I'll bet there are still thousands of people copying-and-pasting directly from it into tomorrow's code for raising and lowering that suspension bridge.

I'm a non-programmer (I learned HTML in the 90s, if that counts) and I decided on a whim to start learning Python, and I've been using GPT as an aid. I've definitely made faster progress with it than without it, mostly because I can get it to generate something and then get it to explain it to me line by line, which is really helpful when following a tutorial for something and they do some "rest of the owl" bullshit... but :drat: even I can tell GPT can't code for poo poo. It keeps changing its code halfway through generating it and I'll have to trace it all back to figure out where it decided to just start renaming variables and poo poo. Which is great for learning but :lol::lol: at actually thinking you could use any of its code.

But people do think it is a magic box that spits out miracles. Oh god we are so hosed.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

The dumbest part of this is that it doesn't jive at all with how dreams work. Yeah, dreams are important for problem solving and sleep improves learning and retention, no you will never be able to use that mechanism to make PowerPoints.

You literally can't read printed text in dreams because (iirc) Broca's area, which is important for language use/processing isn't engaged during sleep, how the gently caress are you going to make coherent presentations or notes?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that really true? I feel like I've read things in my dreams before.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Reading in dreams is at least significantly hosed up - if you "read" something, look away, then try to read it again then it changes.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My understanding is that you're transposing meaning, and your brain may interpret that as text. However you're not actually reading. But I could also be completely wrong.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tagra posted:

I'm a non-programmer (I learned HTML in the 90s, if that counts) and I decided on a whim to start learning Python, and I've been using GPT as an aid. I've definitely made faster progress with it than without it, mostly because I can get it to generate something and then get it to explain it to me line by line, which is really helpful when following a tutorial for something and they do some "rest of the owl" bullshit... but :drat: even I can tell GPT can't code for poo poo. It keeps changing its code halfway through generating it and I'll have to trace it all back to figure out where it decided to just start renaming variables and poo poo. Which is great for learning but :lol::lol: at actually thinking you could use any of its code.

But people do think it is a magic box that spits out miracles. Oh god we are so hosed.

I'm glad you see this as a beginner. One of my routine worries at my work is people on my team just trusting it to much.
To be fair, a lot of these companies are just out right lying about what it can and can't do, microsoft copilot promises that they scan for security vulnerabilities yet it will just out right suggest SQL injection to you at the drop of a hat.

https://codeium.com/blog/github-copilot-security-scanning-does-not-work

Codium of course is a competitor and having tried both I think its slightly weaker in ability than copilot but at least they don't make the claims Microsoft is making.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 2, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Angepain posted:

Reading in dreams is at least significantly hosed up - if you "read" something, look away, then try to read it again then it changes.

Happens every time for me

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The REM meetings would be bizarre. You'd have somebody naked, another one shooting out the door at stuff, one more on their stomach, floating four inches off the ground. Then you would have to excuse yourself because your high school lost your transcript and you have to retake Spanish class.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The REM meetings would be bizarre. You'd have somebody naked, another one shooting out the door at stuff, one more on their stomach, floating four inches off the ground. Then you would have to excuse yourself because your high school lost your transcript and you have to retake Spanish class.

We just call it a Monday.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mega Comrade posted:

To be fair, a lot of these companies are just out right lying about what it can and can't do

I was forced to sit through a demo at work because a higher-up fell for a sales pitch at a conference and got all excited about some company's miracle AI that will solve all the problems of the world. The instant I heard about it I was like "oh no" but there was no talking them out of it. "Just see what they have to offer before making a decision!"

One of the worst sales pitches I've ever had to sit through in my life and it SEVERELY reduced my opinion of the exec who dragged us into this. The company spent the entire pitch making GBS threads on GPT, which made me assume they don't use GPT, but they wouldn't say what their model was. We finally had a chance to ask questions and the very first question was "Which model are you using?"

The guy said "Open source. And proprietary."

Thankfully it was a Zoom meeting so I could turn my camera off and laugh.

They wouldn't even show us the thing working in real time. They just kept promising to set up a demo for us. Wtf was THIS demo if you aren't even going to show your magical AI that is better than GPT in action?? Oh my god. What a waste of everyone's time.

To be fair, I haven't seen it in action. Maybe it really is better than GPT.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tagra posted:

The guy said "Open source. And proprietary."
"We finetuned LLaMa on copyrighted material"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Levitate posted:

I mean if i could work in my sleep but wake up refreshed and then have the actual day to not work and do whatever I want that might be intriguing

Somehow doubt that’s their aim though!

This is pretty much the what Severance is about.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Then you would have to excuse yourself because your high school lost your transcript and you have to retake Spanish class.

This is one of the recurring themes in my dreams, except that like an idiot I'll do the entire grade schedule or something before I realize "oh I guess I could just arrive only to go to this one class and then leave" instead of trying to Billy Madison it.

I loving hate this recurring dream.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It would be like working in a Roguelike

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

What I liked more was the article itself, the joyful enthusiasm of “look how cool, employees gonna be able to work even when they sleep!”

on a somewhat similar note, musk and other robo car people saying "your peons will be able to work during transit!" ah yes doing unpaid work outside my hours for my godking boss.

lol at techbros wanting to get 100% output for work.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Vegetable posted:

Is that really true? I feel like I've read things in my dreams before.

I mean, it's possible I'm garbling whatever fact I'm trying to convey but a cursory Google seems to agree that Broca's area and a similar region called Wernicke's area are generally shut down during REM sleep.

Basically, your dream logic dictates that you gain knowledge from looking at an item that should contain that knowledge, but you can't actually read. One recurring pattern in my dreams, for example, is receiving a text and just knowing who it was from but not being able to actually read it or write a response to it. Sometimes this gets worked around by handing the phone off to another person and then they convey whatever concept to me, or just by definitively stating what the content of the message is when someone asks what it says, but I can't remember a time when I actually read a thing in a dream. In fact, that's pretty much exactly how one of the most common dreams goes - you go to take a test, but when you look at the paper the entire thing is gibberish in what you assume is Spanish or some other language because you can't actually read it

Another similar one is having a dream about being lost and trying to read the street signs or pull up Google Maps on a phone but it doesn't work. For me, when I try to inspect a map in a dream I get what amounts to an artifacted jpeg with roughly the right color palette, then I'll try to zoom in or out or hit the recenter button but nothing works and there's never a way to match anything from the screen to whatever intersection I'm at.

Ironically, that's usually the trigger for me to go "oh, I'm dreaming, it doesn't matter that I'm lost, I can just decide to go to the place I'm trying to go" - so it works itself out in a way

Edit: I also can't say that dreams work exactly one way for every person, and it isn't like this kind of subject is a super hot field with tons of reliable data - brain mapping and all of that sort of stuff is pretty far from settled science to begin with, certainly compared to something like chemistry. Still, there is SOME amount of research on the subject, it matches with my subjective experience, and it seems to me that it also explains some of the archetypical dreams that are more-or-less universal, so while there might be outliers (either in that any person could have an occasional dream where they DO read legible writing, or that some subset of people dream differently) I stand by my statement that trying to make a powerpoint or write a word document using lucid dreaming would be an exercise in futility even if you had magical future tech to transcribe for you

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 3, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Volmarias posted:

This is one of the recurring themes in my dreams, except that like an idiot I'll do the entire grade schedule or something before I realize "oh I guess I could just arrive only to go to this one class and then leave" instead of trying to Billy Madison it.

I loving hate this recurring dream.

It's a super common dream, which probably says something about our society.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It says a lot about society that I thought that that dream world could be real.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I literally don’t remember the last time I had a dream or what it was. I just close my eyes at night and next thing I know it’s like 5-7am.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't wait for tech workers to automate themselves out of a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wish I could get VC investment by going "uhhh, Hypnospace Outlaw but real?"

It's also a good simulator of the real internet (geocities) before it was ruined.