Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I say 5 8 and 11 are the best by far, and honestly having a working theory that every 3 games from 5 will forever be the best DQs, and any game after the best DQs will be relatively bad cuz well, 6 and 9. I hope 12 disproves this though.

As for phone ports....4 released a few weeks after I beat 4 on DS and I was so mad, but at that time I hated phone controls atleast as vehemently as anyone else here. But two years ago I played a game so good on phones it became one of my favorite games of all time in every aspect, it literally cured any of the instinctual hate I had for phone gaming, so I recently played through all of 4 a few months ago and enjoyed it more than any other time without issue other than learning how insane some of the party chat conditions are. Basically, just have a life changing experience related to phone gaming and it cures your hatred of phone gaming lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hokuto posted:

SQEX's halfhearted support of it doesn't help either, of course. It definitely feels like DQ gets crumbs compared to the budgetary and marketing feast that FF games tend to get. Every decade or so, SQEX makes a weak Western push for a few EN-translated Dragon Quest games and spinoffs (that almost all have the exact same soundtrack with no new arrangements) with barely any marketing, and then when the games inevitably produce tepid sales results, they go "Welp, we tried," and throw up their hands and give up for another decade.
Didn't 9 do really well comparatively becaues of the SE+Nintendo marketing blitz? They went hard on that, did it not pay off?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The amount of Dragon Quest games the west hasn't gotten since..8 really, is pretty small all things considered

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't 9 do really well comparatively becaues of the SE+Nintendo marketing blitz? They went hard on that, did it not pay off?

Not really. The problem was, Dragon Quest 9 excels in the kind of environment Japan is in. Where you're playing it on a cramped train on your commute to work and school and other randos doing the same thing are teaming up with you. There's not really anyone willing to do that in the west, trying to do so would make people think you're a total weirdo from random people, especially back in the 00s even. It was always a game that would sell really well to Japanese audiences and flop hard outside of Japan.

I do think a remake of 9 could do quite well and in all honesty, it's the game which needs a remake the most. Give it proper internet that works from home instead of having to go outside and play it on your commute and it'd be pretty popular I'd bet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not really. The problem was, Dragon Quest 9 excels in the kind of environment Japan is in. Where you're playing it on a cramped train on your commute to work and school and other randos doing the same thing are teaming up with you. There's not really anyone willing to do that in the west, trying to do so would make people think you're a total weirdo from random people, especially back in the 00s even. It was always a game that would sell really well to Japanese audiences and flop hard outside of Japan.

I do think a remake of 9 could do quite well and in all honesty, it's the game which needs a remake the most. Give it proper internet that works from home instead of having to go outside and play it on your commute and it'd be pretty popular I'd bet.

This was also a big issue with Yo-kai Watch. Pandanoko is completely locked behind StreetPass, making it absolute hell to get a complete Medallium in the US.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The amount of Dragon Quest games the west hasn't gotten since..8 really, is pretty small all things considered

Joker 3 and the DQM remakes not coming out in the west sucked but isn't too surprising. Hopefully DQM3 sells well when it releases on Friday.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest IX wasn't the hit in the west that Nintendo was hoping for, but they've been more willing to try again with the series than Square Enix itself has.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nihilarian posted:

one of my favorite thing in rpgs is when you change your sword and the character model changes to reflect that :shrug:

It's not so much the weapons as the outfits people want to customize without affecting their stats.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If I don't look like i scrounged my outfit out of the dumpster behind the blacksmiths forge what's the point of modeling equipment in the first place

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A COUPLE MORE DAYS THREAD TIL GOTY 2023

I've already began to call every store in town trying to figure out which will break street date, so I can get to work on breeding 32 slimes with 32 Drakees.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

BabyRyoga posted:

Part of me envies you for being able to get this excited about something - I certainly can't do that anymore. I'm vaguely looking forward to Taco Tuesday tonight, but that's as much enthusiasm as I have these days.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

I've already began to call every store in town trying to figure out which will break street date, so I can get to work on breeding 32 slimes with 32 Drakees.

Did this actually create some high level monster in a prior game like how you could get an S-rank (?) monster in Joker 3 by combining 64 of a certain monster in the first area?

I still have to finish the SMRPG remake and barely had time to play Wonder but both are going on the backburner come Friday (though beating SMRPG's story doesn't take long at least).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anything i should know about dq9 before starting?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) Once you talk to the king in the first city you'll unlock the ability to recruit party members at the Inn. Players do occasionally miss it and then they're getting absolutely creamed at the next boss.

2) You never get story members or anything you gotta recruit them yourself

3) there is a skill exclusive to the hero that lets you buff other party memebers, so if you want Maximum Efficiency Violence do not make the main character your DPS (or go ahead, it's Dragon Quest. Just, if that kind of thing bothers you)

4) all the "DLC" is actually already existing in the cart so it's still possible to access it even if the actual game servers are long gone via trickery or idk Gameshark? Do they still make Gameshark? You can unlock the DLC missions with a cheat/hack device.

That's the poo poo I remember, it's been a while.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man that town near Falrod hits harder than any of the post disaster scenes in XI. The sister lying dead in the makeshift church, the soldier begging his dead friend to wake up, the little girl who helped doing laundry just being gone after the attack. It's incredible how well the game manages to hit the beats on all the islands barring Volcano island a bit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
DQ9 with better customization would be so cool

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Man that town near Falrod hits harder than any of the post disaster scenes in XI. The sister lying dead in the makeshift church, the soldier begging his dead friend to wake up, the little girl who helped doing laundry just being gone after the attack. It's incredible how well the game manages to hit the beats on all the islands barring Volcano island a bit.

Volcano island has one of the funniest bits in the series though, where you can keep saying “No” again and again while your party calls you an rear end in a top hat until you just don’t go in the volcano and it erupts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Volcano island has one of the funniest bits in the series though, where you can keep saying “No” again and again while your party calls you an rear end in a top hat until you just don’t go in the volcano and it erupts.

That's hilarious, I should've persisted in saying no. Game has so many little things, just noticed that the place in Falrod that you can find a mercenary pissing in the corner is the only place with moss growing on the wall in the present Falrod

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I liked the idea in 9 with building the hotel and having party members from previous games come to stay and give you gifts, its just too bad it was linked to online bullshit. Was it X number of streetpasses, or just timed? Either way, all the poo poo linked to online features needed an alternate way of aquiring.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mylan posted:

I liked the idea in 9 with building the hotel and having party members from previous games come to stay and give you gifts, its just too bad it was linked to online bullshit. Was it X number of streetpasses, or just timed? Either way, all the poo poo linked to online features needed an alternate way of aquiring.
It was "Streetpass" based.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can still easily get street passes if you want, just set your router to something or other, I used to do it, there's a thing a lot of people do to generate infinite street passes. Street pass will always work, it isn't dependent on an online service.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The "best" part about hotel building is that DQ9 is a DS game, there's no actual console-level Streetpass functionality. You needed to leave the game on in tagging mode with the DS closed in a sort of proto-Streetpass that ensured nobody outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area would ever be able to complete their hotel legitimately. I'm convinced DQ9 tagging led to Streetpass as we know it.

You can obviously fake them pretty easily, I don't think I ever got a legit DQ9 tag, even at conventions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Commander Keene posted:

You can obviously fake them pretty easily, I don't think I ever got a legit DQ9 tag, even at conventions.
You missed the year I was going out of my way to have DQ9 going handing out the Kawasaki Locker map whenever I wasn't actively playing video games. gold slimes for daaaaays

(the one I forget the name of had more metal kings, but everyone had that one, the one that you could farm for money and materials was way rarer by comparison)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

It was "Streetpass" based.

The funny thng was that it only remembered up to a certain number of people (though I think it was 100?). I remember taking my DS with me to PAX when DQ9 came out and I kept checking it since you only got 3 visits at a time and not only noticed repeats of the same people but ended up with like 250 or so 'visitors' as a result which let me actualy finish the hotel growth thing. One (or more) of the visitors had the Kawasaki Locker map too. Metal Kings in every fight (on a specific floor). :getin:

Pretty sure the 3 hours I spent grinding on that map on my flight home gave me about 4x the xp that I'd made in the dozen or so hours trying to grind on the slime hill area with metal and liquid metal slimes as semi-rare encounters. The DQ9 postgame was so, so loving bad.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
So uh, has anybody here been playing DQM? Haven't seen any reviews pop up except for Famitsu's, so info on the quality of it is pretty scarce... which is somewhat worrying

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I've been playing it a bunch. Its really good though it does still have some minor performance issues.

Easy recommend if you like the Monsters subseries

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm liking it but it's a little choppy at times

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Cool. Looking forward to getting my copy from Gamefly in tomorrow

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's as good as other monsters games so far. I am just spending many many hours synthing OP stuff making my way up the tree without advancing too far.

The complaint I have, which isn't even a new one, is I wish they would stop loving lying about the scout chance. It's ok if monsters are hardish to scout, but don't tell me it's a 25% chance only to have me fail like 14 times in a row before getting it. It's clear the actual success rate is maybe around half of the value it claims.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Uhh maybe you're just really unlucky?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Naw, it's the way DQM games have worked for a very long time. It's the norm to miss a scout that is "25%" closer to 8 times in a row rather than 4 times.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Deki posted:

I'm liking it but it's a little choppy at times

Is it noticeably choppy or tolerable

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Is it noticeably choppy or tolerable

On a scale of 1 to Pokemon SV, how choppy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More or less than SMTV

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Switch games being choppy is just endemic to games existing on the Switch :v:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think it's barely even a criticism at this point. Especially for a RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

psychoJ posted:

So uh, has anybody here been playing DQM? Haven't seen any reviews pop up except for Famitsu's, so info on the quality of it is pretty scarce... which is somewhat worrying

Review copies went out really late for some reason. I don't think it's to hide that it is a Secretly Awful Game (it seems fun from what I've played so far but I haven't had a lot of time to invest into it today) but just one of those weird ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gaius Marius posted:

More or less than SMTV

Less than SMTV at least.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Review copies went out really late for some reason. I don't think it's to hide that it is a Secretly Awful Game (it seems fun from what I've played so far but I haven't had a lot of time to invest into it today) but just one of those weird ones.

Ah okay. Square Enix is pretty notoriously bad at anything resembling promotion when it comes to anything that isn't Final Fantasy so that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

As someone who likes to call like 4 or 5 different places to break street date on games, no one even had it in until like yesterday afternoon. I guess in general, it just went out really late.