Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I like PDX studio games and factorio, and people always associate it with games like that, so I nodded my head and figured that was right

unironically remember being in denial about having autism but also thinking "gee autistic people sure do seem to have good taste in videogames" bc i played every single one of the stereotypes and thought it was a coincidence

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
does liking zachtronics make you autistic

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

FirstnameLastname posted:

unironically remember being in denial about having autism but also thinking "gee autistic people sure do seem to have good taste in videogames"

600+ hours in Kenshi

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i have the highest gold collected count on bit.trip runner 2 (pc)

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

unironically remember being in denial about having autism but also thinking "gee autistic people sure do seem to have good taste in videogames" bc i played every single one of the stereotypes and thought it was a coincidence

Well for me I thought I was just socially awkward/anxious/clumsy/picky before. But then gravitating/getting obsessed towards all those games and the internet discussions surrounding them, I put two and two together after looking up what autism even was

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Calibanibal posted:

Please don't pet my dog or talk to him or look at him, he has pawtism. Sorry he isn't a good little cog in the capitalist machine

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Calibanibal posted:

Please don't pet my dog or talk to him or look at him, he has pawtism. Sorry he isn't a good little cog in the capitalist machine

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Al! posted:

no...but it helps!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Megamissen posted:

get him into 2hu

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

How did y'all come up with autism + ADHD as a self descriptor/diagnosis? because it's something I've been thinking about for a while now

I posted on a Sonic forum as a kid. Don't need more of a diagnosis than that.

(More) serious answer is that it never crossed my mind and I didn't have much of a frame of reference as to what the symptoms of autism actually were until friends with a diagnosis talked about their own experiences, and I saw myself in a lot of their descriptions. I eventually looked into the symptoms more, which made me realize that a lot of those symptoms were strongly describing mannerisms, behaviors, and habits of my own, and that led to reflecting on my childhood where I noticed a lot of the signs were already there, just neither me or my parents thought about it further than me "being a weird kid".

Then with ADHD it was a similar thing, my wife who is medicated for it pointed symptoms out and wondered if I thought about getting tested, and in true ADHD fashion it's been sitting on the to-do list for 5 years and multiple expired referrals now lmao. With any luck I'll actually be getting something scheduled for testing within the next month or two since I got another referral recently.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Al! posted:

Yes. you're literally doing a job on the computer for no pay, the only thing more certain to indicate autism is eve online

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

RHase posted:

(More) serious answer is that it never crossed my mind and I didn't have much of a frame of reference as to what the symptoms of autism actually were until friends with a diagnosis talked about their own experiences, and I saw myself in a lot of their descriptions. I eventually looked into the symptoms more, which made me realize that a lot of those symptoms were strongly describing mannerisms, behaviors, and habits of my own, and that led to reflecting on my childhood where I noticed a lot of the signs were already there, just neither me or my parents thought about it further than me "being a weird kid".

Then with ADHD it was a similar thing, my wife who is medicated for it pointed symptoms out and wondered if I thought about getting tested, and in true ADHD fashion it's been sitting on the to-do list for 5 years and multiple expired referrals now lmao. With any luck I'll actually be getting something scheduled for testing within the next month or two since I got another referral recently.

thanks, i'm pretty certain on the autism (pokemon forum) but it's the adhd i've been toying with for a few years

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
adhd diagnosis explained so much of my childhood it was shocking

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I remember reading and re-reading the ADHD diagnostic criteria on wikipedia when I was a teenager, and still being in denial about it/not wanting to jump the gun and not trying to get help. Then in college I ask the doctor there and he basically tells me to gently caress off lol.

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

My 10 y/o autustic son likes to play lots of Sonic theme games on Roblox, current one is Sonic.exe. He値l jump, scream, and shake the house while playing. His question of the week is what would Sans from Undertale look like in Super Saiyan form. Whenever he gets real excited about a YT video he痴 watching, he値l pause it and ask me 10x times to watch it, no matter what I知 doing and sometimes shove the tablet in my face. I love the little guy.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
sans from undertale would use classic big monkey style super saiyan form i feel

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hello! I've brought a gift.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-stack_rail_transport

skooma512 posted:

I remember reading and re-reading the ADHD diagnostic criteria on wikipedia when I was a teenager, and still being in denial about it/not wanting to jump the gun and not trying to get help. Then in college I ask the doctor there and he basically tells me to gently caress off lol.

He might have thought you were just trying to get drugs. Did you wear drug dealer insignia to your appointment?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sushi X posted:

My 10 y/o son has autism and likes Sonic. Doesn't play the games or watch the show but he sure likes the characters. He's also really into Undertales, FNAF, Polandball and watches his YT meme videos way too loud. I love the kid.

fyi if you put the effort to learn about that stuff and try to care about it and talk about it with him (even if its the most uninteresting poo poo to u, just care about it because he does) it will mean the world to him jsyk

lots of times with things like that a kid just learns to do "their stuff" by themselves, bc people make fun of em or whatever, and then they dont ask people or consider it while also really wanting to interact with another person over the things they really like

the stuff that matters to them matters a lot like they probably think about it as much as you think about them no joke. they probably express and communicate some things though them to at least some level, and have emotional associations and stuff like, interests and how closely tied to everything else can vary but to be on the safe side, treat stuff they lock onto almost like an extension of them.
its obviously not, but from their perspective it can almost feel like it is and be legit emotionally painful to have treated like it's dumb/bad/it doesn't matter by someone they look up to
to be safe, assume they're that sensitive about stuff they show am obvious interest in, don't call the stuff boring or annoying or whatever even if it is, just get them to turn it down etc

its important you are a positive & supportive influence in that area and teach them that it's okay to be themselves and that the parts of them that're different from other people or might be confusing or w/e aren't bad and matter just as much to you as the rest of them and that it's fine to like and enjoy those parts of who they are too

It's really really important because you are the only source of that on earth they're likely to have for their childhood and probably adult life too, and the entire world is a source of the inverse. most autism therapy and behavioral stuff is focused on the other end, how to fit having autism into human society, how to behave. it doesn't touch on how to have autism and do autistic stuff, it devalues that as dysfunction when it isn't, and is often necessary /to / function normally.

i.e. stimming isn't dysfunction, it helps, discouraging it is not good unless it's physically harmful or the loudest poo poo on earth. echolalia helps with thing. arranging systems and things like that can help with things. autism is weird it's confusing to have its hard to explain why some weird thing matters but it usually does in some way. sometimes something will feel terrible and you can't tell what thing you're feeling it is. sometimes you don't know how to explain it or that it's not the same for everybody. there's a lot of things its hard

the world teaches people with autism to fight against their basic most instincts and says its good for them to bury those "weird" parts and behaviors that other people dw them to do,
then they end up unable to recognize their emotions or connect with people or express themselves because they learned and internalized that feeling an urge or impulse to do something means its bad or stupid or will get them in trouble. unless someone else said it's normal

that's a bad feeling, please protect your child from it. feeling like a part of you is a broken, embarrassing joke feels super bad and that is what society reinforces about the things that stick out with autism more than anything else: that if nobody can tell you're autistic, you're objectively better than someone who people can. That if you can erase every sign of what you are and pretend you're not that, you succeeded and that nothing else could reduce negative symptoms more than other people not being able to tell, and it is bullshit all bullshit, it trains you to hide and bury things and nothing else.

from the perspective of an autistic kid doing super autistic stuff is just "existing" and life kinda trains you to be ashamed of all the stuff that isn't normal and to hide anything that people don't understand or accept away and mask 24/7 and that destroys people over time no matter who they are

make sure they dont learn to feel like those are things that they should feel ashamed of.

remember what im saying here. screenshot it or something so you can reread it in a few years, it's covering weird stuff & some that might not come up for a few years but it'll all come up and i promise you'll appreciate you saw this post. :toxx:

you can't buy parenting advice for kids with autism this good and wont find it anywhere else. to any other parents of autistic kids same thing.
when they're old enough, teach them what I'm saying or just have them read what im saying, it should make sense to them pretty intuitively. if they agree i was right then give me money.

some of these things might be less or more of a deal for them than im describing but it'll all be in the same general area.
but for now, as-is, your kid will not know to tell you this stuff, or whem/if it is a problem for them, and chances are that nobody else will spot it or mention it, and it's a big deal

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Yes. you're literally doing a job on the computer for no pay, the only thing more certain to indicate autism is eve online

actually im playing solitare when i should be working

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ibaint reading all that brother

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

honestly dont think im on the spectrum or adhd or maybe i could be diagnosed but every psychiatrist just diagnoses me with ptsd and alcoholism

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RHase posted:

ADHD testing is unbelievably expensive around here based on prices I've seen so I haven't bothered, probably to my detriment, and probably being on the spectrum in some fashion doesn't help

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Al! posted:

honestly dont think im on the spectrum or adhd or maybe i could be diagnosed but every psychiatrist just diagnoses me with ptsd and alcoholism

you can have more than one diagnosis op

:hfive: for ptsd

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

you can have more than one diagnosis op

:hfive: for ptsd

the stuff i have ptsd for is really dark and not something id readily share with the forums (anymore lol) but i dont know how people manage to get through life without picking up ptsd at some point

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Al! posted:

the stuff i have ptsd for is really dark and not something id readily share with the forums (anymore lol) but i dont know how people manage to get through life without picking up ptsd at some point

either living a blessed coddled life that's never been in PTSD-inducing situations OR denial and they actually do have it but won't accept it (ask me how long i was the second)

anyway i wish you luck in feeling OK in the future

Dec 2, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

living a blessed coddled life

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

you come off like every adud person I've ever known even just thru text

i can't actually put a finger on why exactly & im not like diagnosing you but I'd sell put money on it, aloof artist forgetting thermoses in ur car long enough they make cheese def. doesn't uncheck any boxes

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Why do autistic people love sonic so much

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

LuxuryLarva posted:

he goes fast

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if you're young and have aspergers my advice to you is to MASK IT with booze and drugs, get into raving. try to spend most of your time in situations with little to no normal social expectations. MDMA is a magical drug that makes you feel normal and like you fit in with everyone! don't take too much though or it stops working

real talk MDMA cured my claustrophobia with dense crowds permanently and forever after the first use and i didn't expect it to happen or have any idea that it could it just did.
also let me walk up to large crowds of people and start talking to them like it was nothing, any of the things that'd make me hesitate or freeze up just didn't trigger, wasnt having any harsh sensory reactions from sound or light that knock the thoughts out of my head so i could interact smoothly. i was completely out of my head and able to enjoy what was actually happening. ftw
if you have autism you should be able to get it prescribed also if yo udont
itll wreck your brain if you do it a lot tho ya

:same: I couldn't dance in public before, at all, I would always think it's a trap. Took this stuff and now it's much much easier for me, and I don't even need to be using it. LSD also helped lol.

Gonna do some tonight actually :sax:

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

fyi if you put the effort to learn about that stuff and try to care about it and talk about it with him (even if its the most uninteresting poo poo to u, just care about it because he does) it will mean the world to him jsyk

Thanks for the tip. I知 happy to report we are super close. I always attempt to learn the lore of whatever interest he has, no matter how oddball or quirky. I accept him for who he is, and he lives in an environment of unconditional love. It helps to live in an area with lots of support network and education for someone on the spectrum.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i feel like weed really helped me socialize in college, but i'm not sure where to pin that on ptsd or autism or whatever else. just knowing (and more importantly feeling) that people aren't constantly waiting for me to gently caress up and say something wrong was a big help

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sushi X posted:

Thanks for the tip. I知 happy to report we are super close. I always attempt to learn the lore of whatever interest he has, no matter how oddball or quirky. I accept him for who he is, and he lives in an environment of unconditional love. It helps to live in an area with lots of support network and education for someone on the spectrum.

ur a good parent

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Al! posted:

Early life stress can cause developmental changes related to ADHD and autism. I definitely don't have anything like a typical presentation of either, but I think that I share a few things in common with both categories in a significant way, even though the health professionals that I've seen don't think that I have autism.

Before I started to work on things, my masking was pretty extreme largely due to LGBTQI stuff, and it feels like I had a presentation of stress that was similar to someone with autistic burnout. I've improved a lot. I feel like a lot of people with autism or disorders of stress/dissociation can benefit from taking certain sensory or integrative therapies seriously, and not just as things for children with autism. I think that there's a relatively non-plastic developmental difference in autism, but also a co-occuring disorder of chronic stress due to sensory issues, masking, emotional regulation, etc. that needs to be managed.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

LuxuryLarva posted:

he is spherical and that is pleasing.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

im not kidding btw

its stimulating

sensory disorders can involve both a lack of and an abundance of stimulus, and sometimes both simultaneously

tv screen provides a lot of light and sound stimuli on demand in a controlled fashion
videogame for something that makes your hands smd brain work

sonic is a colorful cartoon animal who goes very fast and doesn't have scary stuff and is very consistent
the hedgehog characters are simplifications of people that drop all the parts like subtle cues and subtext almost everything is A -> B

lets u get a lot of fast but from a controlled source of stimuli in a controlled setting basically and the setting happens to appeal to kids and be appropriate

also doesnt have any parts that are generally difficult to grasp if you have autism so it widens the range of people who could be interested and when its known for being popular w autistic kids they're likely to be introduced to 2

so a lot of things but mostly hes fast and bright blue and easy to draw. has cute tiny snowwhitey animal friends that he rescues by going fast

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
he specifically goes real fast in straight lines like a train

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

he specifically goes real fast in straight lines like a train

or do trains go real fast in straight lines like sonic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Whirling posted:

he is spherical and that is pleasing.

well when he's spin dashing it's more of a forward slanting oval shape, which creates a pleasing tension that is released as he goes fast as the blue sphere. ok i guess i also check the sonic box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I spent at least a couple dozen hours trying to get past that loving barrel before I gave up