Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a dude at my Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla screening earlier this year who legit loudly talked to his friend throughout the entire movie and it was one of the worst experiences we’ve ever had in a theater.

Although it could have been worse; my friend sat next to a giant guy who reeked of piss the whole movie. Godzilla fans in Houston, get your loving poo poo together.

I just watched it in the Regal on Wesleyan and nobody talked or smelled like piss. It was an 11 am showing and there were only like six other people in there, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK so I just watched -1, I'm gonna reiterate everything everyone else said. Great action, great characters, things which could have been schmaltzy work because of how well they're integrated into the themes, the more malevolent twist on Godzilla is fresh and fun.

But I do think I noticed a historical inaccuracy. There's a radio broadcast that says America isn't sending their navy in due to concerns about Soviet naval movements. In 1947, Japan was still under strict censorship. One thing that was particularly censored was any criticism of the allies, and especially any suggestion of dissension between the Allies. It's fine if the characters talk about it, Japanese people knew about the mounting tensions between America and the Soviets, they had other sources of information. But I just don't think that would have been said on the radio in Japan in 1947.

Hopefully they'll fix that for the bluray release.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Watched a matinee, real good stuff. My only complaint is that it just wasn't shown very bright at all. The blacks were just not that dark and the dark scenes looked off. This wasn't an IMAX, probably just a projection issue.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Maybe because I have a kid of similar age but I was not expecting to be so weepy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

OK so I just watched -1, I'm gonna reiterate everything everyone else said. Great action, great characters, things which could have been schmaltzy work because of how well they're integrated into the themes, the more malevolent twist on Godzilla is fresh and fun.

But I do think I noticed a historical inaccuracy. There's a radio broadcast that says America isn't sending their navy in due to concerns about Soviet naval movements. In 1947, Japan was still under strict censorship. One thing that was particularly censored was any criticism of the allies, and especially any suggestion of dissension between the Allies. It's fine if the characters talk about it, Japanese people knew about the mounting tensions between America and the Soviets, they had other sources of information. But I just don't think that would have been said on the radio in Japan in 1947.

Well honestly the biggest historical inaccuracy is the fact that we saw NO Americans in Occupied Japan in this film. Jeeps and GIs were EVERYWHERE in Tokyo. It's just the way the film portrayed it's own reality.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I look at it as a kind of alt-history thing. It really doesn’t bother me.

I just got out of the theater. I know in the coming days I’ll have more to say about the film but for now, I just want to say this.

*Please* go see this in the theater. The better box office it does outside of Japan, the longer it’s likely to play.

If you don’t, there are a couple of sequences in the film that if you wait for it to hit a streaming platform, you’re going to really regret not having seen in the theater. I can assure you of that.

See it on an IMAX screen if you can. I didn’t today, but I’m going to see it that way soon. It’s that good, and worthy of the format.

The only question in my mind right now is where this ranks among my top three Godzilla films of all time, and which one it bumps down to fourth.

I’ll have to think about it for a while, but this one may very well be my all-time favorite now.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If there's two things I love, it's scenes of people discussing things in boardrooms and the song Decisive Battle. So nothing's going to dethrone Shin. But -1 is now a strong #2 for me

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I wanna see it again in theaters so bad. I've been listening to the score nonstop

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

I wanna see it again in theaters so bad. I've been listening to the score nonstop

I saw it on a regular screen but an imax screen starts showing it next week so I’m definitely going again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thinking about how insanely well -1 uses the Godzilla theme, I'm just increasingly convinced Godzilla 2014 made a big mistake in not using it.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Gripweed posted:

Thinking about how insanely well -1 uses the Godzilla theme, I'm just increasingly convinced Godzilla 2014 made a big mistake in not using it.

If I had to guess, that might have been because the classic theme can come across as villainous and Legendary Godzilla is working babyface pretty much 100% of the time.

Although it did rule when it played in King of the Monsters, so who knows? :shrug:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

garycoleisgod posted:

If I had to guess, that might have been because the classic theme can come across as villainous and Legendary Godzilla is working babyface pretty much 100% of the time.

Although it did rule when it played in King of the Monsters, so who knows? :shrug:

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iUQ6sta_c

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just got out of Minus One a little while ago. I thought it was very good. I didn't actually know what the plot was going in, wasn't expecting a remake of the original '54 film. Heavy on the war trauma, which made Godzilla itself looking awesome a nice, uncomfortable dichotomy. The heat ray setting off actual nuclear blasts is something that felt so natural to G like it just always was the intent. The score was well done and well placed. I kinda think Noriko should've stayed dead, instead of going for the "happy" ending/teaser though

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I look at it as a kind of alt-history thing. It really doesn’t bother me.

I just got out of the theater. I know in the coming days I’ll have more to say about the film but for now, I just want to say this.

*Please* go see this in the theater. The better box office it does outside of Japan, the longer it’s likely to play.

If you don’t, there are a couple of sequences in the film that if you wait for it to hit a steaming platform, you’re going to really regret not having seen in the theater. I can assure you of that.

See it on an IMAX screen if you can. I didn’t today, but I’m going to see it that way soon. It’s that good, and worthy of the format.

The only question in my mind right now is where this ranks among my top three Godzilla films of all time, and which one it bumps down to fourth.

I’ll have to think about it for a while, but this one may very well be my all-time favorite now.

i missed shin after seeing the American one (probably because of how little i cared about the American one, but it also wasn't running anywhere conveniently located). no way am i missing this one.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

site posted:

I kinda think Noriko should've stayed dead, instead of going for the "happy" ending/teaser though

I'm personally very okay with the happy ending and the black goo could be used to explain how she survived

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah, clearly the g-virus bumping around in her neck was being shown for a reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like that the searching for the engineer sequence established that its really easy to lose track of a person in post-war Japan. Especially in an informal living situation like they had, if Noriko was unconscious the hospital would have no idea who to contact.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a dude at my Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla screening earlier this year who legit loudly talked to his friend throughout the entire movie and it was one of the worst experiences we’ve ever had in a theater.

We went to a different theater to see Minus One specifically in IMAX and like 10 minutes in I realize that the two dudes talking incessantly a row above me are the same two loving neckbeards from the earlier screening. These idiots basically narrated every single thing happening onscreen. ”OH they were DECOYS DUDE”, “oh poo poo he EJECTED what the gently caress” etc. It’s a testament to Minus One’s quality that this time it didn’t really take me out of the movie as badly.

Although it could have been worse; my friend sat next to a giant guy who reeked of piss the whole movie. Godzilla fans in Houston, get your loving poo poo together.

You can tell people to quit talking during a movie. I wasn't going to sit through Dungeons & Dragons next to a couple dudes pointing out every spell and creature.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

You can tell people to quit talking during a movie. I wasn't going to sit through Dungeons & Dragons next to a couple dudes pointing out every spell and creature.

Same. They get one polite, "Shh," then I go for an usher. I'm too old and movies are too loving expensive to put up with assholes ruining my evening.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Alright I'm sitting alone in some sort of dome like IMAX theater and the movie starts in 35 minutes, god help me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TheMopeSquad posted:

Alright I'm sitting alone in some sort of dome like IMAX theater and the movie starts in 35 minutes, god help me.

:unsmigghh:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

TheMopeSquad posted:

Surely the only God to beseech here is Godzilla.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just cannot get over how genuinely frightening Big G was in this film.

I also agree that the human story worked better than in just about any other film. I thought a lot of that was genuinely touching, especially the end.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

-1 has a leg up on the monsterverse movies mainly because I give a drat about the human plot for once.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
4DX was a lot of fun. Every roar and stomp had so much impact

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gripweed posted:

the biggest historical inaccuracy is the big lizard that breathes nuclear explosions

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Most US theaters do not give a single loving poo poo and will never bother having an usher actually tell the person to shut up. This wasn’t at an Alamo or some other arthouse theater. The most it would have accomplished would be a free ticket voucher and missing however many minutes of the movie dealing with it would have taken.

It just wasn’t worth bothering.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Saw Minus 1 in theatre, no smells. Definitely think that Shin is a more complete creative work but this blows most of the competition out of the water.

I think one more attack on Tokyo would have sealed the deal on just how terrifying this version is, but it's fine as is.

Kind of made me want to see a film with a pre-radioactive Godzilla in the Black Ships era.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Going again on Tuesday. IMAX this time!

Yeah, it’s that good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I, Butthole posted:

the biggest historical inaccuracy is the big lizard that breathes nuclear explosions

That's not a historical inaccuracy because the premise of the movie is what if a giant monster attacked in 1947

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Saw Minus One last night with my 9 year old son. We both absolutely loved it and I would have loved it more if the asshats next to me would have shut up during the movie, instead of adding commentary like calling the male lead gay and loving laughing at the hospital reunion at the end.

I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out on bluray so I can enjoy it without the frat boy commentary.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Give all the awards to Gokai Blue on the boat crew, that guy rules.

Gotta love Godzilla. I'll say 54 is still a much better movie, but this was cool, and it's like a good modern "best of/remix" and its production values were kind of like "here's some traditional Godzilla stuff and we freaking dare you to laugh". Good job spreading the Godzilla word.

Now here's hoping the next one has this bad boy fighting some monster from outer space.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 2, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Heavy Metal posted:

Give all the awards to Gokai Blue on the boat crew, that guy rules.

Gotta love Godzilla. I'll say 54 is still a much better movie, but this was cool, and it's like a good modern "best of/remix" and its production values were kind of like "here's some traditional Godzilla stuff and we freaking dare you to laugh". Good job spreading the Godzilla word.

Now here's hoping the next one has this bad boy fighting some monster from outer space.

Since all his pieces began regenerating at the end, we could see multiple Godzillas fight each other.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shiftypenguin posted:

Since all his pieces began regenerating at the end, we could see multiple Godzillas fight each other.

Oh poo poo. That could happen. They did use a recording of his own roar to lure him. This version of Godzilla would theoretically be aggressive towards other Godzillas.

Godzilla Minus One Times Zero

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Monarch show keeps underwhelming.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got back from the movie, thought it was great. I liked seeing Godzilla before the nuclear testing and he kind of reminded me of '98 Zilla. His breath was incredible in this movie and I'm fine with the somewhat happy ending especially if they do something with the regenerating parts and such.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Minus zero was amazing.

The ejection seat was spoiled immediately when they showed the cockpit with the seat having german warnings on it. Not that it mattered, but they did double down with the explanation scene suddenly going quiet.

The movie also reminded me a lot of Jaws in the earlier parts.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

very good

was the zoom on Noriko's next at the end because the thing on her neck was moving or was i just too teary eyed at Godzilla's death?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

very good

was the zoom on Noriko's next at the end because the thing on her neck was moving or was i just too teary eyed at Godzilla's death?

The thing was moving, heavily implying she received some some sort of radiation during the Ginza attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Asteroid Alert posted:

The thing was moving, heavily implying she received some some sort of radiation during the Ginza attack.

thought so, and i spotted someone mention the director's statement