Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions earlier, I went with the Why Not and it was very popular (we had the dinner early), amaretto sours for the backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I have no clue what it's called, but lately I have been making a drink that is equal parts bourbon, Licor 43, and Fernet, and I would love to know if this is a real thing I can ask for at bars because gently caress. It's so good. It's so good!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wungus posted:

I have no clue what it's called, but lately I have been making a drink that is equal parts bourbon, Licor 43, and Fernet, and I would love to know if this is a real thing I can ask for at bars because gently caress. It's so good. It's so good!

I've never heard of a drink with those particular components, but any bar that stocks both Licor 43 and Fernet should be able to make it for you with a minimum of instructions. The only question will be how they charge you for it (probably either as a call/premium depending on the bourbon or as a 3-liquor cocktail).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If anyone can find Silent Pool gin, buy it and post about it. Everything I’ve read seems like it’s exactly the kind of floral/citrus gin that’s light on juniper that I like. Not distributed anywhere near me though.

I did find Silent Pool yesterday, it was so new to the store that it wasn’t in their inventory yet so they just rang it up as wine instead of spirits and saved me $10 on taxes. Will have a tasting later.

Also finished off my bottle of Hennessy and replaced it with Pierre Ferrand 1840. First batch of split base Sazeracs were fantastic.

Finally, also picked up a blended scotch, can’t go wrong with Dewars.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I did find Silent Pool yesterday, it was so new to the store that it wasn’t in their inventory yet so they just rang it up as wine instead of spirits and saved me $10 on taxes. Will have a tasting later.

Also finished off my bottle of Hennessy and replaced it with Pierre Ferrand 1840. First batch of split base Sazeracs were fantastic.

Finally, also picked up a blended scotch, can’t go wrong with Dewars.

I just searched for this out of curiosity, and while my local liquor store doesn't have it, the various search options informed me that there is currently a bottle in stock for $173,684.20. It's a bottle of Balvenie Single Malt 60 year, which is only supposed to retail for a meager $145k.

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/the-balvenies-sixty-details/

I have a feeling this is probably locked up in the back, and you have to know to ask for it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I've been meaning to make a big post about my Grand Plan from this summer, which was bringing a bunch of pretty involved cocktails to the great lakes' #1 summer drinking event (Colossalcon, an anime convention in Sandusky). My basic idea was that I usually drink a lot of Everclear Hellpotion, so this time I wanted to see if I could class it up a bit and not do that. My neighbors at the con and everyone I could convince to come by and get a drink loved it but it was so loving expensive that next year I'm just gonna make a couple gallons of punch. I pulled most of these off Punch and Imbibe, you should be able to find the specifics if you search for the names.

Thank you all for reading this.

Here's what I made:

Agua Fresca (Chuntikis recipe):
2oz overproof tequila blanco
1oz lemon juice
1/2oz lime juice
3/4oz triple sec
1/2oz watermelon liqueur
1/2oz hibiscus syrup
1/2oz red fruits syrup
Mineral water to top

This fucks. Use the DeKuyper cheap poo poo for the watermelon, it's missing a little bit of sourness with the 99 Watermelons I got. Also don't get the overproof tequila, it's cool to have but it's expensive and you don't need it here.

Gochujang Sour(Jeong recipe)
2oz gin
1/4oz raspberry liqueur
1/2 oz calamansi syrup
1/4 oz gochujang syrup
1/2 oz lime juice

Liked this a lot too. No real corrections to make, other than that you're not gonna find much else to do with gochjang syrup if you make it. Make buldak or something and just throw the rest of your batch in if you want.

Melon-Lime Soda (Katana Kitten recipe)
1 oz lime vodka (I used absolut, Deep Eddy would probably be much more limey but I don't know that it needs it)
1 oz Midori
1/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz sudachi juice
1/2 matcha-lime cordial
Mineral water to top

I need to dial in what size cup you're actually supposed to serve this in, it was a LITTLE too watery in what I had but very close to being the rare good Midori drink

State Street Bloody Mary (Happy Cooking Hospitality recipe)
5 oz State Street Bloody Mary mix (tomato juice, mezcal, worcestershire, tabasco chipotle, soy sauce, sriracha, molasses, old bay, black pepper, white pepper)
1.5 oz vodka
A Beer
Whatever poo poo you wanna put on a skewer. I did summer sausage and celery because it was at the Meijer.

Really really good at making you feel alive three days into a con. No real notes besides that, it's a good bloody mary.

Calpico Swizzle (Katana Kitten recipe)
3/4 oz gin
3/4 oz junmai nigori sake
3/4 oz Calpico concentrate
1/4 oz blue curacao
1/4 oz simple
1/2 oz lime
3/4 oz sparkling wine

A bit more trouble than it's worth, due to having to open a thing of sparkling wine. There were like 20 people next door to me that were perfectly willing to empty one, but you might not have that.

Mount Fuji (Aldama recipe)
1.5 oz reposado tequila
1/2 oz pear liqueur
1/2 oz lemon juice
3 oz Fuji apple juice
1 tsp cane syrup

I used Red Jacket's Fuji apple juice (found at Whole Foods). If you don't have it around, anything else should probably work. Or you could juice a fuji apple but I mean christ what a pain in the rear end. I ended up not bothering with cane syrup and used demerara. Overall this was one of my favorites, it's sharp and refreshing.

Pandanime (Anvil Bar & Refuge Recipe)
1 oz white rum
1/2 oz apple brandy
3/4 oz heavy cream
1/2 oz orgeat
3/4 oz pandan syrup

Thanks to this drink I have a fuckton of pandan syrup I'm still trying to use up. This one was as little too heavy for the 90 degree weather. It'd be great right now though - if you don't want to make pandan syrup I bet vanilla or cinnamon would work too.

Asobi Seksu (Christian Suzuki-Orellana recipe)
1.5 oz pisco
1 oz edamame milk
1 oz ginger syrup
1 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz green chartreuse

Asobi Seksu's Citrus is one of my favorite albums, so I had to make this one. For the poster at home, it's a bit too much trouble. It IS very good if you want to do some blending and filtering edamame beans.

Daq Attack (Let’s Go Disco & Cocktail Club recipe)
1.5 oz white aged rum (something like El Dorado 3 or Havana Club 3. I used Hamilton 86 though)
1/2 oz rhum agricole
1 oz kiwi syrup
1/2 oz lime juice

My only Do Not Recommend drink here. Kiwi syrup was an insane pain in the rear end to make, at least the way I did it, just make superjuice daiquiris.

Toki Berra
1.25 oz Japanese whiskey
3/4 oz yuzu juice
1/2 oz simple
1 tbsp coconut-matcha yogurt
Mineral water to top

This is really good! Get some plain coconut milk-based yogurt and stir in matcha powder for that bit. I had almost as much soda water as other stuff, but you could (and maybe should) lower that. As the name suggests, Suntory Toki was fine here. Also you can just eat the yogurt whenever you want, it's good.

Nacho
2 oz blanco tequila
1/2 oz campari
3/4 oz chili-lime shrub
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz honey or agave syrup

This is the other best drink I made, this thing rules. If I had more fridge space I'd keep the shrub for this around all the time.

Overall this was an enormous pain in the rear end to operate out of a hotel room, especially as my first real attempt to serve drinks to other people, but I had a lot of fun doing it.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 23, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I opened a bottle of Cocchi for Thanksgiving at family’s place, and now that I’m back home I did a side by side tasting with Carpano. I’m not a sommelier with a million dollar palette but here’s my notes

Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
Nose: Candy-grape sweetness with mild citrus
Taste: Mildly bitter, juicy moscato grape. Syrupy mouthfeel.

Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
Nose: Dried fruits, raisin or dates
Taste: Fruity, Less bitter and less viscous than Cocchi. Cinnamon and vanilla and baking spice.

Both are excellent.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 28, 2023

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I opened a bottle of Cocchi for Thanksgiving at family’s place, and now that I’m back home I did a side by side tasting with Carpano. I’m not a sommelier with a million dollar palette but here’s my notes

Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
Nose: Candy-grape sweetness with mild citrus
Taste: Mildly bitter, juicy moscato grape. Syrupy mouthfeel.

Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth
Nose: Dried fruits, raisin or dates
Taste: Fruity, Less bitter and less viscous than Cocchi. Cinnamon and vanilla and baking spice.

Both are excellent.

Both are very good in a Manhattan.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Cocchi is my go to for Manhattans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone recommend me a cocktail

https://x.com/seanw_m/status/1730041848909947078?s=46

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Always celebrate with a French 75!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Death in the Afternoon.
Cold War Easier.
Celebration.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Celebration:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Cognac boulevardier?

Edit: French Negroni?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Death in the Afternoon to celebrate Kissinger's death this afternoon. Rest in pissinger

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Both of those drinks look fantastically done. Also, both really good drinks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cognac boulevardier?

Edit: French Negroni?

It’s the Celebration that Wiggles suggested

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/3699/celebration

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Any suggestions on what to do with a dry, red vermouth? I grabbed a bottle from a random Canadian winery while I was up there and it honestly drinks much more like a straight red wine than a sweet vermouth. It doesn't really work in a Manhattan and it doesn't really work in a Martini. Never encountered something like it before

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Any suggestions on what to do with a dry, red vermouth? I grabbed a bottle from a random Canadian winery while I was up there and it honestly drinks much more like a straight red wine than a sweet vermouth. It doesn't really work in a Manhattan and it doesn't really work in a Martini. Never encountered something like it before

Maybe do something that's basically a cross between a boulevardier and an old pal? Get some Campari in there to add some more sweetness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the difference between Blackberry Liqueur and Cassis?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the difference between Blackberry Liqueur and Cassis?

Cassis is Blackcurrants which are a different fruit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tasting a carpano antica that was in the fridge for a year and one I just opened

Oxidized vermouth doesn’t actually taste bad, just different

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

my kinda ape posted:

Cassis is Blackcurrants which are a different fruit.

That's what I thought. Could have sworn I saw somewhere that cassis is also made with blackberry. Nevermind.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sounds like spritz time. But it sounds like you'll need something sweet to balance it out, so maybe add a bit of orange liqueur, or whatever fruit liqueur you might have. Then ice, tonic, and a big swath of lemon, orange, or grapefruit peel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I’m using a Ninja blender, I’m always better off using the single-serve 24 oz cup for making frozen drinks right? I saw someones videos comparing it to the vitamix both using the big 72 oz pitcher for the drinks, and they slightly unfavorable results because it uses the tall 3 blade assembly rather than a single one at the botton, and people in comments said that wasn’t the way to do it to get the best texture for drinks. Obviously the Ninja isn’t going to beat the Vita, but I wanna make sure my approach is the best it can be.

Not seeing a ton of Ninja specific information or guides as most videos you see have people just using a small amount of liquid/ice in the bottom of their big pitcher on the vitamix/blendtecs because I guess it doesn’t matter for that style.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone tried doing a Trinidad Sour with Amaro di Angostura instead of bitters? The flavor profile is similar and the amaro is a lot cheaper so I'd love to make them that way, but not if it sucks.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I haven't, but I could tell you how I'd do it. The amaro is obviously lower proof than the straight bitters, so I'd use a little less and augment it with some overproof rum, probably Plantation OFTD. Then dial back the orgeat to account for the extra sugar that the amaro's providing and you're probably right in the middle of Tasty Town, and if not you're pretty close.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone tried doing a Trinidad Sour with Amaro di Angostura instead of bitters? The flavor profile is similar and the amaro is a lot cheaper so I'd love to make them that way, but not if it sucks.

One of my favorite bars has that as a regular item. It's very good.

Trinidad not my real dad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was at a restaurant last week and their signature drink was a Paper Plane with Montenegro and man that's like making a Martini with white wine or something get out of here with that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That sounds like a restaurant that couldn't find Nonino at their local Total Wine so they improvised and now it's a "signature drink"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I still maintain that I can barely tell the difference :shrug: It's literally impossible to stock Nonino sometimes and it's about the best substitute you can get.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my favorite bars has that as a regular item. It's very good.

Trinidad not my real dad.

In Vegas? I once saw one on a menu in Montreal and sent a pic to the drink's originator. Said it gets around because most people classify angostura as a food item for the kitchen, not as beverage alcohol. poo poo, I got carded at the supermarket buying Ango yesterday (to make dried lemons for tree garnish).

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Better than the restaurant I was recently at

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

what the gently caress

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't get this italian poo poo, let's just omit it :downs:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grand Fromage posted:

I have tried this by splitting the difference

1 oz Amaro di Angostura
.5 Angostura bitters
.5 100 proof rye
.75 lemon
.75 orgeat
egg white

Pretty good. I can tell it's a little different than pure bitters but it's close enough.

If you like sweeter you could probably put the orgeat back up to an ounce, but I like my sours sour so this works for me.

Am wondering what it'd be like replacing the rye with OFTD though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

I still maintain that I can barely tell the difference :shrug: It's literally impossible to stock Nonino sometimes and it's about the best substitute you can get.

It’s not a big difference, and if I had to pick I’d say I prefer the Montenegro.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Montenegro is almost $15 cheaper also

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I have tried this by splitting the difference

1 oz Amaro di Angostura
.5 Angostura bitters
.5 100 proof rye
.75 lemon
.75 orgeat
egg white

Pretty good. I can tell it's a little different than pure bitters but it's close enough.

If you like sweeter you could probably put the orgeat back up to an ounce, but I like my sours sour so this works for me.

Am wondering what it'd be like replacing the rye with OFTD though.

Amaro di Angostura and Angostura bitters are great together. Having one of these, it's pretty great:

1.5 oz Rye
1 oz Amaro di Angostura
2 Dash Angostura Bitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was at a restaurant last week and their signature drink was a Paper Plane with Montenegro and man that's like making a Martini with white wine or something get out of here with that
You can't stop me from making Montenegro Planes for my friends and calling them Paper Planes no matter how much hate you try to send my way.

Also I made Greg's Pepperoni (Negroni with Dr. Pepper instead of Vermouth) and it actually rules.

EDIT: I also saw a guy do a Disaronno with Dr. Pepper (1.5 oz into a collins with ice, fill the rest with Dr Pepper) and added two dashes of orange bitters and that also rules.

What I'm saying is make more drinks with Dr. Pepper.