Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Early life stress can cause developmental changes related to ADHD and autism. I definitely don't have anything like a typical presentation of either, but I think that I share a few things in common with both categories in a significant way, even though the health professionals that I've seen don't think that I have autism.

Before I started to work on things, my masking was pretty extreme largely due to LGBTQI stuff, and it feels like I had a presentation of stress that was similar to someone with autistic burnout. I've improved a lot. I feel like a lot of people with autism or disorders of stress/dissociation can benefit from taking certain sensory or integrative therapies seriously, and not just as things for children with autism. I think that there's a relatively non-plastic developmental difference in autism, but also a co-occuring disorder of chronic stress due to sensory issues, masking, emotional regulation, etc. that needs to be managed.

autistic burnout is when you do drifting with a train

Al! posted:

well when he's spin dashing it's more of a forward slanting oval shape, which creates a pleasing tension that is released as he goes fast as the blue sphere. ok i guess i also check the sonic box

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

To all the Sonic lovers in this thread, I'm sorry the games and shows are horrible. I'm glad the movie turned out okay at least. I experience genuine pain whenever I touch a Sonic game especially the 3d ones.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
is ULTRAKILL in the list of suspicious games to get overly attached to?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i was never really into trains i liked sonic a Lot though
i never did the "me the hedgehog" stuff i just liked tht videogames and that cartoon

i thought trains were neat but I was about dinosaurs and sharks, ( the first word i read was Shark, then Tiger Shark, then Sand Shark, Great White Shark etc on this shark poster i had. :) ) and colorful birds, Bill Nye the science Guy, poison dart frogs, the space shuttle, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Power Rangers, mighty Morphin beetleborgs, transformers, Beast Wars, Ninjas, Ninja Turtles. id just rotate

the sound of old v12 f1 motors was one of my favorite noises along with the 20th century fox intro theme and the thx noise and the star wars, mission impossible, pink panther, and James Bond themes. i would replay them in my head over and over and over , was rly weird about sounds and songs

i got my adhd diag Really young lol I think I was 5. maybe six
in pretty sure that's why nobody spotted the autism part

Whirling posted:

he is spherical and that is pleasing.
I didn't think about that but yes the smooth egg sphere shape and more importantly that high-pitched whirring rev up noise shits TITE

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Dec 2, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Sushi X posted:

To all the Sonic lovers in this thread, I'm sorry the games and shows are horrible. I'm glad the movie turned out okay at least. I experience genuine pain whenever I touch a Sonic game especially the 3d ones.

I hated the movie too much cop poo poo

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
sonic mania is pretty good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LuxuryLarva posted:

Why do autistic people love sonic so much

displaced horniness

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
old v12 engines >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

displaced horniness

hello...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i must defeat dr robotnik

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
2 pic d mede it weirdol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

FirstnameLastname posted:

2 pic d mede it weirdol

dont kink shame

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
but agreed actually

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
homina homina

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Halser posted:

is ULTRAKILL in the list of suspicious games to get overly attached to?

no

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

displaced horniness

no

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

tokin opposition posted:

so is it that being trans makes you autistic or does being autistic being trans because there's way too much overlap for me to think it's coincidence

for evidence see everyone ITT
Saw this and I think there's overlap in the fact that both can involve differences in neural connectivity. The right prefrontal cortex specifically seems to be related to identity and gender identity, behavior that may manifest in a gendered way, etc. Autism impacts connectivity there, and some of the genetic or otherwise developmental differences driving gender variance have an impact there as well.

In one study people categorized as MtF transexuals showed increased cortical thickness in several brain areas, and increased cortical thickness is also seen in autism. In autism's case this seems to be left lateralized, which I suspect may be related to some autistic traits sometimes being considered to be 'masculine'- it's stereotypically more common for men to rely on verbal reasoning over integrated emotional comprehension when navigating a situation, and that is also lateralized left and right respectively.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hell yeah my brain is thicc

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all day i dream about sonic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what if I was a knuckles guy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

what if I was a knuckles guy

my cousin thought knuckles was the girl character

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

Hell yeah my brain is thicc

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

chunk in the thunk

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i got strung along by a real rear end in a top hat for a long time (she was trying to cheat on her girlfriend with me, awful) because she figured (correctly) that the easiest way into my autist heart was to listen to my long-winded rambling about the worldbuilding of video games i like and then occasionally say something approving, and that is incredibly hosed up. lore should never be weaponized in such a manner, it should be used honorably in duels between internet pedants on forums.

Whirling has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Dec 2, 2023

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Whirling posted:

i got strung along by a real rear end in a top hat for a long time (she was trying to cheat on her girlfriend with me, awful) because she figured (correctly) that the easiest way into my autist heart was to listen to my long-winded rambling about the worldbuilding of video games i like and then occasionally say something approving, and that is incredibly hosed up. lore should never be weaponized in such a manner, it should be used honorably in duels between internet pedants on forums.

life has taught me to both never trust someone when they say they're interested in your video game ramblings and to really care about random people's ramblings since it may mean a lot to them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FirstnameLastname posted:

chunk in the thunk

that's not knuckles that's my wristwatch

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Saw this and I think there's overlap in the fact that both can involve differences in neural connectivity. The right prefrontal cortex specifically seems to be related to identity and gender identity, behavior that may manifest in a gendered way, etc. Autism impacts connectivity there, and some of the genetic or otherwise developmental differences driving gender variance have an impact there as well.

In one study people categorized as MtF transexuals showed increased cortical thickness in several brain areas, and increased cortical thickness is also seen in autism. In autism's case this seems to be left lateralized, which I suspect may be related to some autistic traits sometimes being considered to be 'masculine'- it's stereotypically more common for men to rely on verbal reasoning over integrated emotional comprehension when navigating a situation, and that is also lateralized left and right respectively.

I don't really want to get too much into this, but the framing of left brain manliness at logic and right brain feminine feelingz is going to need a lot of proof and variations within the population for me to take it as anything more than a bioessentialist man-the-hunter style pseudoscientific self reinforcing reiteration of conventional societal standards smuggled into a scientific community no freer than the average idiot of stinking ideas well past their time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my wife and i are at a lore truce

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

(in Autistic Columbo voice) well, I gotta get going sir, my wife will give me hell if I don't get home for supper... but there's just one thing that isn't sitting right with me: in the Song of Pelinal, Pelinal Whitestrake mentions the Emperor Reman. Doesn't that strike you as peculiar, that a First Era man is talking about a Second Era emperor that has yet to be born?

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

tokin opposition posted:

I don't really want to get too much into this, but the framing of left brain manliness at logic and right brain feminine feelingz is going to need a lot of proof and variations within the population for me to take it as anything more than a bioessentialist man-the-hunter style pseudoscientific self reinforcing reiteration of conventional societal standards smuggled into a scientific community no freer than the average idiot of stinking ideas well past their time.
I mistakenly added emotional to right PFC type processing, when it isn't necessarily emotionally driven any more than verbal reasoning is. It's just more integrated with our emotions per my understanding.

I don't disagree and believe that's what I said should be deconstructed around those lines, and believe that it has been many times. My personal understanding about it is that there's some correlation of usage demographically along gendered lines. Anecdotally, I saw a trans man report that he felt like everything shifted to the left after getting on HRT. I've personally felt a shift to the right.

I feel strongly though that value-laden views of conscious stepwise verbal reasoning or a more integrated direct understanding are inherently stained in various ways, especially sexist ways, and that the latter is not inherently emotional and inherently irrational and vice versa. People are capable of developing both faculties deeply in an integrated way, and there is nothing essential about that and any relation or correlation to gender. And that's not even getting into boots-on-the-ground Gender.

I personally feel that many men are mired in deep idiocy by overly exclusive reliance on verbal reasoning under the guise of it being rational qua rational and uninfluenced by emotion. See: all of human history.

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Dec 2, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I mistakenly added emotional to right PFC type processing, when it isn't necessarily emotionally driven any more than verbal reasoning is. It's just more integrated with our emotions per my understanding.

I don't disagree and believe that's what I said should be deconstructed around those lines, and believe that it has been many times. My personal understanding about it are that there's some correlation of usage demographically along gendered lines. Anecdotally, I saw a trans man report that he felt like everything shifted to the left after getting on HRT. I've personally felt a shift to the right.

I feel strongly though that value-laden views of conscious stepwise verbal reasoning or a more integrated direct understanding are inherently stained in various ways, especially sexist ways, and that the latter is not inherently emotional and inherently irrational and vice versa. People are capable of developing both faculties deeply in an integrated way, and there is nothing essential about that and any relation or correlation to gender. And that's not even getting into boots-on-the-ground Gender.

I personally feel that many men are mired in deep idiocy by overly exclusive reliance on verbal reasoning under the guide of it being rational and uninfluenced by emotion. See: all of human history.

hell yeah i'm with ya now bud. :hmmyes:

Al! posted:

my wife and i are at a lore truce

*stroking my beard as you lay on the chaise longue* tell me, what lore do you know?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Whirling posted:

(in Autistic Columbo voice) well, I gotta get going sir, my wife will give me hell if I don't get home for supper... but there's just one thing that isn't sitting right with me: in the Song of Pelinal, Pelinal Whitestrake mentions the Emperor Reman. Doesn't that strike you as peculiar, that a First Era man is talking about a Second Era emperor that has yet to be born?

TES is crack for becoming lore-obsessed with. I forgot most of it now, but I've spent days just browsing through the Imperial Library back when I was a NEET and obsessed with Skyrim and Morrowind.

Never really got into Oblivion for some reason. I just played it and was done. Just 250 hours.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my adhd is too strong to get that invested in lore :( I have played a few games for thousands of hours each and couldn't tell you a single thing about the lore lmao

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I know everything there is about a small GBA port of the Sims series by a defunct shovelware games studio (and for some reason the n-gage had a port)

Eyyyyyyyy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

I know everything there is about a small GBA port of the Sims series by a defunct shovelware games studio (and for some reason the n-gage had a port)

Eyyyyyyyy

poo poo goes crazy.

Anyways for today's daddy/son autism Saturday we watched an Asian lady click magnets together into a maze for her hamsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_5Qc7bjvHw

Been getting real into hamster maze videos, our first hook into the YouTube ecosystem was Sophie Hamster.

Lateral from that, been watching diecast racing videos. The inlaws like cars and I like fake sports and my son has been the bridge in which we all enjoy statistics, formulaic repeated filming, and memorization of names together.

Thinking about showing him tiny trains. My background is in watching factorio videos which are not appropriate the best introduction. I'm thinking about physical scale models, surveyed a few channels and haven't found much swearing yet.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i must defeat dr robotnik

whyd they have to put a dude in it

Dec 3, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ohtori Akio posted:

im a developer with a cs degree

what the gently caress

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I got a computer touching job that relies on me dealing with dozens of things at the same time, so it works perfectly with my inability to focus on one thing

people think I'm a genius because of how I deal with multiple issues at once, but they're unaware that if I had to focus I'd just melt down and not get anything done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Halser posted:

I got a computer touching job that relies on me dealing with dozens of things at the same time, so it works perfectly with my inability to focus on one thing

people think I'm a genius because of how I deal with multiple issues at once, but they're unaware that if I had to focus I'd just melt down and not get anything done

lol hell yeah