Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sourdough Sam posted:

Wasn't there also some contest to decide what state Springfield is in? Like that matters at all.

I don't think they'd do that. They want it to be unknown. It's inspired by Oregon, where Groening grew up, but they named it Springfield because so many states have a Springfield (even Oregon) so the audience can always imagine it's their Springfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sourdough Sam posted:

Wasn't there also some contest to decide what state Springfield is in? Like that matters at all.

There was a contest among like 6 or 8 Springfields to, if I remember correctly, have the premiere or a special screening or something. I lived in one of them at the time and scored a Simpsons movie poster that says “filmed on location in Springfield, [state]!” Which is mildly interesting to have. I don’t know which city won in the end.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think they'd do that. They want it to be unknown. It's inspired by Oregon, where Groening grew up, but they named it Springfield because so many states have a Springfield (even Oregon) so the audience can always imagine it's their Springfield.

I don’t think marketing agency gave a poo poo about this when doing promos

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Porfiriato posted:

There was a contest among like 6 or 8 Springfields to, if I remember correctly, have the premiere or a special screening or something. I lived in one of them at the time and scored a Simpsons movie poster that says “filmed on location in Springfield, [state]!” Which is mildly interesting to have. I don’t know which city won in the end.

it was Springfield, Vermont weirdly

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

People in Oregon are still salty about that

We literally have Springfield and Eugene side by side which is the direct Springfield/Shelbyville analogue, and Springfield OR is famous for being a dirty crappy city full of yokels and convenience stores

Yeardley Smith even married some guy from Springfield OR

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna say being hacked out of the wilderness by a guy in a coonskin cap named Jebediah places it in the West somewhere, but I guess that's not really that true

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Pacific Northwest always made the most sense to me, since Springfield is usually depicted as hilly and surrounded by mountains and not far from rocky coastlines. In the good seasons this was fairly consistent, at least.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

They have a naval base with submarines so it has to be ocean adjacent, & they sailed west to reach Russian waters so that narrows it to five states. And Crazy Clown Airlines not flying to Alaska or Hawaii knocks it down to three. And Homer promised Joey they’d make it to California so down to two.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 28, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

People in Oregon are still salty about that

We literally have Springfield and Eugene side by side which is the direct Springfield/Shelbyville analogue, and Springfield OR is famous for being a dirty crappy city full of yokels and convenience stores

Yeardley Smith even married some guy from Springfield OR

So people in Eugene marry their cousins?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Simpsons in Oregon made sense right away to me. Hey Arnold taking place in the Pacific Northwest was the one that threw me off

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Hey Arnold taking place in the Pacific Northwest was the one that threw me off

What?

It's not Brooklyn? How is it not Brooklyn?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bobjr posted:

Simpsons in Oregon made sense right away to me. Hey Arnold taking place in the Pacific Northwest was the one that threw me off

Interesting that you should bring that up. As a European kid who knew very little about the United States at the time, I just assumed it was set in New York City. I recently found out that, nope, it's Portland.

e: alright, looking it up again just now, that's not quite right. Apparently it's an amalgamation of several different places, including Portland, Seattle, and (indeed) Brooklyn.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 28, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I also always pictured Bob’s Burgers as being in a Pacific Northwest town, but it’s apparently supposed to be the rarely specified town of Seymour’s Bay, New Jersey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phlegmish posted:

Interesting that you should bring that up. As a European kid who knew very little about the United States at the time, I just assumed it was set in New York City. I recently found out that, nope, it's Portland.

e: alright, looking it up again just now, that's not quite right. Apparently it's an amalgamation of several different places, including Portland, Seattle, and (indeed) Brooklyn.

It's pretty common for fictional cities especially in cartoons to mix traits up like that. And it's an old tradition in comics, I think even before Gotham and Metropolis being established as they are you had Duckburg be in the state of Calisota. (Because it has summers as hot as California and winters as cold as Minnesota!)

Springfield's geography being ridiculously variable has been a joke for a long while, like in the comet episode. They've even said the Simpsons house deliberately has inconsistent layouts from scene to scene, never mind episodes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phlegmish posted:

So Hillwood itself is these different cities, but it is in Washington state:

Also see: Episode reenacting the Pig War.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

From what I understand, that's par for the course everywhere in America these days

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Phlegmish posted:

Funnily enough, Springfield is the Shelbyville to Eugene’s Springfield.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I always thought it was in Kentucky because my dad's from Shelbyville and there's a Springfield about 40 miles from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure everyone thinks the next town over is their Shelbyville.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Forgot to add "as a kid."
Nah, it's pretty clever because everywhere has a Springfield and I'm sure there are multiple Shelbyvilles. It was coincidental my dad was from one so child me was like, "Oh yeah, of course, that has to be it!"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I distinctly remember the movie having a bit where Flanders showed us the "states that border Springfield" implying that Springfield was a state in itself.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lisa saying “But West Springfield’s three times the size of Texas!” is an underrated lowest point

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'll never forget how I saw the movie in a full theater, and everyone was laughing a lot for the first third or so of the movie, but I distinctly felt like everyone was forcing themselves to laugh because it's The Simpsons... it's funny and witty... right? It died off pretty hard by the halfway point.

Exact same experience. drat near full theater, everyone was laughing like crazy at the first third of the movie, and then not at all for the rest of it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I remember chuckling at the wanted poster in Tracy Ullmann style and then the cut to a family looking like that. But, then again I really wanted to like the movie.
Can barely remember it now, never saw it again. Something about a dome.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm from Europe. When I was 10 years old or so I got a huge Atlas for Christmas and while thumbing through it I managed to find Springfield, IL. I was convinced that had to be the Springfield from The Simpsons.

I know it doesn't really make sense from the landscape around Springfield in the show, but to me the idea of The Simpsons being set in the Mid West is just so deeply ingrained now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My money was always on Alberta.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKOenxiRaY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm from Europe. When I was 10 years old or so I got a huge Atlas for Christmas and while thumbing through it I managed to find Springfield, IL. I was convinced that had to be the Springfield from The Simpsons.

I know it doesn't really make sense from the landscape around Springfield in the show, but to me the idea of The Simpsons being set in the Mid West is just so deeply ingrained now.

Springfield does have Midwest vibes. I suppose a lot of that comes with how it's played for 'Everytown, America'.

I should look up Hit n Run and Road Rage, which had to give the town a consistent layout, because I'm wondering what they decided on for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure why by "I'm sure I left them in ze... car" pops up in my head regularly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh hey, the mad lads at the Hit N Run modding community have been working on that.

https://twitter.com/ward_reuben/status/1526759505396019200

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Springfield does have a very alt-rock weirdo Pacific Northwest vibe in a lot of later (post season 6) episodes..

But generally feels very generic dumb culturally degenerate Americana which is just the entire accursed and infested Midwest and south

Thus Springfield is in Kentucky

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and while the geography of Springfield goes all over the place on purpose, there's a few consistent features outside of Springfield, usually large stretches of rural land with mountains in the backdrop. I dunno much about American geography but that also feels pretty Midwest. (Also reminds me of inland Australia, which is basically the same) Then again that might just be rural land everywhere.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually it's a fictional town that doesn't exist in any state.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
springfield is canonically the same one as the one from gi joe

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and while the geography of Springfield goes all over the place on purpose, there's a few consistent features outside of Springfield, usually large stretches of rural land with mountains in the backdrop. I dunno much about American geography but that also feels pretty Midwest. (Also reminds me of inland Australia, which is basically the same) Then again that might just be rural land everywhere.

I think a lot of rural places are quite samey in a large part of the world. There's a great japanese zombie film called Wild Zero that was shot in Thailand and based on the geography alone I would never have picked it as such, it just looks like rural Victoria to me. My ex also visited Vanuatu once and mentioned that the interior had a similar look to it as well. So yeah I reckon a lot of places look quite similar.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

edit: oh no wrong cartoon

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

large stretches of rural land with mountains in the backdrop. I dunno much about American geography but that also feels pretty Midwest.

The American Midwest isn't exactly known for its scenic mountain backdrops

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm always thrown off by what counts as the midwest. I think it always extends some distance west in my head, definitely as far as Montana and Wyoming at least.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it's a city that has a nuclear reactor and a gorge and guarantees to film producers the full cooperation of city officials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm always thrown off by what counts as the midwest. I think it always extends some distance west in my head, definitely as far as Montana and Wyoming at least.

It extends basically as far west as you can get without seeing any mountains.