Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

jeeves posted:

I’m starting to think they never actually released the original Hollow Knight…

https://youtu.be/1gNc4Wf-pxA?si=RLaxvmRnPT0akB00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

jeeves posted:

I’m starting to think they never actually released the original Hollow Knight…

Isn't that the goal of the first game?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Silksong was shown on the PC games show but I don't know if any footage was new and there was no news

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
gonna be a Game Awards stealth launch

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Imagine Geoff on a stage saying "And Silksong? Launches today"

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

roomtwofifteen posted:

Not many people know this but that's actually what Bud Dwyer said too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

roomtwofifteen posted:

Imagine Geoff on a stage saying "And Silksong? Bapanada"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

roomtwofifteen posted:

Haha yeah that would be funny *starts to genuinely want this and expect it*

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More likely it will be:

"And Silksong? Will release when Nintendo ports Mother 3."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ristolaz posted:

Haha yeah that would be funny *starts to genuinely want this and expect it*

Hope is the bastion of fools. I'm sweating profusely for unrelated reasons.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PantsBandit posted:

Hope is the bastion of fools. I'm sweating profusely for unrelated reasons.

Precept Forty-One: 'Learn to Detect Lies'.

When others speak, they usually lie. Scrutinise and question them relentlessly until they reveal their deceit.

Precept Fifty-Six: 'Do Not Dream'.

Dreams are dangerous things. Strange ideas, not your own, can worm their way into your mind. But if you resist those ideas, sickness will wrack your body! Best not to dream at all, like me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
My one comfort in these dark times is the knowledge that Kissinger died without ever having the chance to play Silksong

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Soricidus posted:

My one comfort in these dark times is the knowledge that Kissinger died without ever having the chance to play Silksong

hell yeah

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Soricidus posted:

MrQueasy posted:

hell yeah

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So...Thursday night is the next disappointment?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waltzing Along posted:

So...Thursday night is the next disappointment?

every night is the next disappointment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

gonna be a Game Awards stealth launch

Hearing more and more sources say this.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
As much as I wanna watch a Mossbag video about the HK lore I'm a bit put off by the "we just ducttaped this together don't look too closely at the how and why of things" approach. Just vibes, man.

Another thing - Hornet is written with this 'elevated royal speech' tone of voice I have to re-read to figure out what exactly she's talking about. It certainly clashes with the more normal speech of the other characters. And most of the time she's delivering a monologue to the Knight who doesn't seem to have an opinion either way. I'm not sure about a whole game buildt around her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Like most modern metroidvanias, the lore is just Dark Souls fanfic

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Another thing - Hornet is written with this 'elevated royal speech' tone of voice I have to re-read to figure out what exactly she's talking about. It certainly clashes with the more normal speech of the other characters. And most of the time she's delivering a monologue to the Knight who doesn't seem to have an opinion either way. I'm not sure about a whole game buildt around her.

She’s the daughter of the King and Queen of Hallownest.

https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Hornet

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight has lore?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was once a thriving kingdom. One day that kingdom discovered some sort of otherworldly power source. This power source was beyond measure but slowly corrupted the minds and souls of those it was around. Eventually the kingdom fell into ruin, leaving only the shattered remains of its lands and people. Now you, Tarnished Ashen One Knight Pinocchio The Forbidden One The Weird hosed Up Little Guy must venture into the lands and confront the source of that evil, armed with only a sharp thing and the ability to die infinity times without lasting consequence.

This will be all video game stories until the end of time, presented exclusively through a half a paragraph of random item lore as interpreted by a softspoken man with a pleasant accent via youtube videos.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cartoon Man posted:

don't loving link the trash wiki https://hollowknight.wiki/w/Hornet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight has lore?

in the sense that entomology as a field of study exists, yes :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

don't loving link the trash wiki

The 58th precept.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Cartoon Man posted:

Sure she's Bug Royalty and talks in full paragraphs because she's a princess, I'm saying - a full game of this with her elevated Victorian speech can get tiring. (or maybe bugs all speak with an Australian accent, who knows)
https://hollowknight.wiki/w/Hornet#Dialogue the word dalliance lives rent-free in my brain

It's like Yoda; his funny sentence structure is fine for a few lines, but I wouldn't want to hear an extended dialog from him.

anyway - this is just something to pass the time so we have something other than nada in our bapanada

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Coffee Jones posted:

As much as I wanna watch a Mossbag video about the HK lore I'm a bit put off by the "we just ducttaped this together don't look too closely at the how and why of things" approach. Just vibes, man.

??? there is nothing duct taped together about hollow knight's story, what on earth are you talking about

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cartoon Man posted:

The 58th precept.

While we're on the subject, I've been using https://getindie.wiki/ and it's been a godsend for not ending up on fandom when I'm in the mood to check out some lore.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Cartoon Man posted:

Hornet is the daughter of Herrah the Beast (queen of the Spider Tribe), not the White Lady (the queen of Hallownest).

Also good:

MrQueasy posted:

don't loving link the trash wiki https://hollowknight.wiki/w/Hornet

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Coffee Jones posted:

🅖🅐🅡🅐🅜🅐
____________________/
https://i.imgur.com/tcWvapA.gifv

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

silksong was actually delayed so they can add that dance to the game

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I love seeing Hollow Knight Clown he cheers me up. :kimchi:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Waffleopolis posted:

I love seeing Hollow Knight Clown he cheers me up. :kimchi:

turn on your monitor

and play the hottest new game hollow knight silksong, out now!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The promise has been made.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There was once a thriving kingdom. One day that kingdom discovered some sort of otherworldly power source. This power source was beyond measure but slowly corrupted the minds and souls of those it was around. Eventually the kingdom fell into ruin, leaving only the shattered remains of its lands and people. Now you, Tarnished Ashen One Knight Pinocchio The Forbidden One The Weird hosed Up Little Guy must venture into the lands and confront the source of that evil, armed with only a sharp thing and the ability to die infinity times without lasting consequence.

This will be all video game stories until the end of time, presented exclusively through a half a paragraph of random item lore as interpreted by a softspoken man with a pleasant accent via youtube videos.

The Radiance isn't a power source though, it's the god that all of the bugs used to worship and when the king convinced them to stop the radiance was like "well gently caress you then, i'll use your dreams to turn you all into zombies"

e: Dung Defender figured out how to harness the power of poo, and it worked out fine for him, great even. Arguably poo is the strongest force in hollow knight

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollow knight's backstory is an age of dark (the buried void civilization) that got double-whammied by two ages of fire (the radiance's violent monotheism followed by the pale king's enlightened autocracy). also much like dark souls, the void is content to bide its time and resurge after the usurping civilizations have collapsed under their own hubris

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wouldn't expect Hornet to speak much in Silksong seeing as she's the protagonist and it's more her job to listen to the new weirdos you are meeting, but who knows? In the realm of Metroidvanias Alucard is pretty talkative and Samus talks a lot in Fusion.

Of course we all know the real reason Hornet won't have any lines is Bapanada :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Today is the day