Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

RavChat: it seems like it’s the remote start and a few other things, the guy said it was basically all the electronics, I’m hoping a thing on Reddit I saw which said they are reversing course is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Car culture looks mighty fine to me from the 7 foot high cab of my F-450. Maybe if I get a bigger American flag to fly from the bed it will make you feel better?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I was car-free for six years leading into the pandemic, I feel your pain. People are so goddamn oblivious it's disgusting. I have to drive a lot more since moving to the infrastructure wasteland that is the greater Baltimore area and tbh it's just as bad as biking. I had two close calls this week; in both cases the dipshit drivers pulled out of perpendicular side streets (one of them running a stop sign in the process) while looking in the entirely wrong goddamn direction. Like heads fully turned 90° away from my profanity-spewing face.

I don't know what the gently caress happened to people's brains during the pandemic but they now seem to lack even the most basic of self-preservation instincts, which as it turns out makes them incredibly hard to predict.

I loving hate car culture in this stupid loving country.

It won't do anything to stop people looking at their phones while driving, but I would occasionally get people honking and passing me dangerously close for the crime of making them slow down to 17 mph on a narrow 20 mph street. That is, until, I put an empty Gopro casing on the top of my helmet. Anecdotes aren't data, but I haven't had anybody purposely threatening me since.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I was driving today (I know, I'm sorry). I stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk directly adjacent to both a popular park *and* an elementary school. The pedestrian was crossing in front of my car when this loving douchebag sped past me on my right, less than 6 feet from where the pedestrian was. It was quite scary. Not the first time that's happened to me as either a driver or a pedestrian. If a car is stopped at a crosswalk, the car might be stopped for a pretty good reason!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a theory that cars act the same way for people that putting on a mask does. They let people be someone else, usually their worst.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

lot of aggressive drivers telling on themselves itt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I have a theory that cars act the same way for people that putting on a mask does. They let people be someone else, usually their worst.

I believe it. I do become a different person in the vehicle.

It's habituation. Habit derived behaviors. Over and over and over we perform the same acts, and then become that. Very hard to walk back.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Beastie posted:

I bike 4.5 miles each way to work. I don't know if its something we're putting in the water at work but I almost got hit three times. Twice by people turning into the flow of traffic and only checking the traffic in one direction. Had to shout at both of them for them to see me. The other was someone making a turn perpendicular to my direction of travel. Again, had to shout to make her see me. Hit the brakes hard enough to skid.

I was obeying all traffic laws pertaining to cyclists in my city. I know because I work for the city and there are posted signs. Its loving wild.

I feel awful for cyclists in this city. Recently, McGuinness blvd (one of the more dangerous streets for biking) was supposed to be completely redesigned with protected bike lanes. For reference:

But business owners complained that the reduction to two lanes would "hurt their business", even though evidence points to the contrary:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/for-store-owners-bike-lanes-boost-the-bottom-line

So our shithead mayor decided on a redesign that pleases no one and doesn't make McGuinness blvd much safer for cyclists.

Furthermore, the city has actually decided to do something about the mountains of trash on the sidewalks with a European style trash bin pilot program. Of course because this takes up parking (and because of a little bit of weird nimbyism), some people are complaining:

https://gothamist.com/news/giant-trash-bins-land-in-harlem-will-they-fight-rats-or-just-take-up-parking

The dumbest man in Manhattan posted:

“They take up parking. That’s not nice,” said Josef Rojas, who parked his SUV outside the apartment building across the street from the school. He’s lived in the building for 25 years and says the city needs to better enforce existing sanitation rules instead, such as ticketing businesses for not using lidded cans or putting trash out too early.

Get hosed Josef. You don't need a car in Manhattan. And even if you do because you are an edge case, get hosed.

I would KILL to have these things in my neighborhood. I can't believe people are calling these eyesores as opposed to the mountains of loving trash that sit on the sidewalk for vermin to root around in.

What really gets me is that things don't just get worse. They also never get loving better. People actively work to prevent any positive change because of whatever idiotic mild convenience they think it will cause them.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

redshirt posted:

I believe it. I do become a different person in the vehicle.

It's habituation. Habit derived behaviors. Over and over and over we perform the same acts, and then become that. Very hard to walk back.
Regardless of their intentions, I think that many people also need social cues for their interpersonal behavior to not start deteriorating, and that driving, twitter, etc. don't really have those in a complete way.

The constant stimulation everyone is under nowadays also doesn't really help with being aware of what one is doing at any given time.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I live in NYC and drivers have realized that they can just remove their plates and no police officer will ever care enough to give them a ticket. They can also avoid tolls and automatic speed cameras. Mopeds and motorcycles also just race on the sidewalks.

USA shithole nation.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Oh yea my rent is going up to $3500 per month soon.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think I get 2 email every week that are like "We're updating our privacy policy! If you use our service you agree to it".

I wonder if I can send them an email that I'm updating my privacy policy and they agree to it if they continue providing services to me. (no)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I think I get 2 email every week that are like "We're updating our privacy policy! If you use our service you agree to it".

I wonder if I can send them an email that I'm updating my privacy policy and they agree to it if they continue providing services to me. (no)

I have a smasnug phone and every few weeks I get a notification to agree to my samsung account's privacy policy, dismiss every time...been about a year now, maybe next time for sure though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

redgubbinz posted:

I have a smasnug phone and every few weeks I get a notification to agree to my samsung account's privacy policy, dismiss every time...been about a year now, maybe next time for sure though

I'm only saying Smasnug from now on

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

Good evidence in the lawsuit. Gotta build a trail of evidence.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BUUNNI posted:

I live in NYC and drivers have realized that they can just remove their plates and no police officer will ever care enough to give them a ticket. They can also avoid tolls and automatic speed cameras. Mopeds and motorcycles also just race on the sidewalks.

USA shithole nation.

:lol: there are NYPD facebook groups laughing about getting leaf-shaped magnets and putting them over their plates to fool toll/speed cameras

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BUUNNI posted:

USA shithole nation.

When I was a kid and learned about how toll cameras work I thought it would be cool if you could press a button to temporarily put a cover/shine an infrared light over your license plate, and it turns out you don't even need to do that, you can just... take it off.

See also the growing popularity of people getting temporary license plates permanently so they can avoid paying tolls.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Avoiding automatic tolls, speed cameras, and red light cameras is a good thing, actually. Not because aggressive driving is awesome but because it's wrong to put our administration of justice into the hands of machines. If I make a bad left turn just a little too late and I'm pulled over, charged, get a chance at my day in court, that's alright. An automatic camera sending data to a system that charges me fines is bullshit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rochallor posted:

See also the growing popularity of people getting temporary license plates permanently so they can avoid paying tolls.

I was once in the back seat of a Lyft and the driver got busted for having these. He was an immigrant who had a Cuban flag in his rear window so I'm guessing this only works if you're white.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

skooma512 posted:

It's for people who live in a place where winter is serious business.

Not that I necessarily agree that they should do this but that is the use case.

As someone who lives where winter is serious business I am constantly weirded out by this practice and that it's still happening in 2023.

It's bad for the car, it's bad for the environment and your health. In the nordic countries it's been common since the 80s to have block heaters on cars, often combined with cabin heaters, basically standard equipment on cars here until recently when they have started getting replaced with webastos instead (small dedicated gas or diesel heater).

It can be -20 outside and I'll get into my car which has been warming for 2 hours before (it's on a scheduled timer) and the engine is heated up and the interior is warm and windows are frost free. Most places of employment offer places to plug in these too at the parking lot.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Avoiding automatic tolls, speed cameras, and red light cameras is a good thing, actually. Not because aggressive driving is awesome but because it's wrong to put our administration of justice into the hands of machines. If I make a bad left turn just a little too late and I'm pulled over, charged, get a chance at my day in court, that's alright. An automatic camera sending data to a system that charges me fines is bullshit.

Syq

If this is sincere then you shouldn’t be able to drive because you clearly aren’t able to do it in a safe manner lol.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I once had a coworker who tried to fight a ticket he got from a speed camera on the grounds that the law stated that citations had to come from an officer and he lost in court :shrug:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
In Washington you check the box that says "this wasn't me driving" and send it back and they can't do anything since an officer didn't witness the infraction

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Speed and red light cameras are often operated by for profit companies. I'm all for traffic enforcement for public safety but gently caress that poo poo. If I'm going to pay fines for my moral failings as a driver, I want that to go to a public agency that at least nominally will use the money to better society somewhat. And toll roads shouldn't loving exist. We have these things called "taxes" that we can use to fund infrastructure. Oregon is trying to implement tolls on existing highways because :qq:electric cars:qq:. Tax the trucking companies you dumb asses. They're the ones responsible for 99.9% of the maintenance issues so if you want to charge for use, charge them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

No Machine May Judge Me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This isn't new but a few years ago Netflix changed their descriptions of movies and TV shows and now half of them just say things like "Don Cheadle and Bugs Bunny star in this film from director Post Malone" and it loving sucks. What is it about?!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

This isn't new but a few years ago Netflix changed their descriptions of movies and TV shows and now half of them just say things like "Don Cheadle and Bugs Bunny star in this film from director Post Malone" and it loving sucks. What is it about?!

If you were able to find out what the movie is about you might not press play.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

You still can have your day in court over automated ticketing systems. It's not like you get the fine and you can't appeal it. You're just concerned about uniform enforcement because you're an unsafe driver.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Speed and red light cameras are often operated by for profit companies. I'm all for traffic enforcement for public safety but gently caress that poo poo. If I'm going to pay fines for my moral failings as a driver, I want that to go to a public agency that at least nominally will use the money to better society somewhat.

This is a way better argument against certain schemes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of my small pleasures in life was flying into Phoenix then driving to Tucson, and going real fast. The speed limit in parts was already 80, so with the rental, let's go.

Then AZ implemented camera ticketing and had mobile stations set up on the sides of the highways, and wow, did that curb speeding. No one else was speeding anymore, so I slowed right down as well for fear of a ticket.

I read that AZ got rid of this system soon after, but I haven't been back since.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Once again:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

lot of aggressive drivers telling on themselves itt

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i only speed as much as i feel obligated to by social mores

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Netflix as a business case is weird because you want people subscribing but you don't make additional money from them actually watching things so you just need them to think that they could watch things while they pay the subscription fee.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's time to get rid of cars

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Biplane posted:

No Machine May Judge Me

Yeah, basically. I want less enshitifying automation everywhere. I don't want to talk to a customer service chatbot, I don't want algorithms to guide the shape of my life, and I don't want cameras run by a horrible private company to decide when I've been a bad boy. You guys are just espousing "only criminals would be afraid of the police!" type sentiments because you hate cars.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

this.

Yeah, basically. I want less enshitifying automation everywhere. I don't want to talk to a customer service chatbot, I don't want algorithms to guide the shape of my life, and I don't want cameras run by a horrible private company to decide when I've been a bad boy. You guys are just espousing "only criminals would be afraid of the police!" type sentiments because you hate cars.

Good luck finding people that want to work these jobs. Most of them don't pay nearly enough to deal with car-brained boomers that feel the streets belong to them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kagrenak posted:

You still can have your day in court over automated ticketing systems. It's not like you get the fine and you can't appeal it.

The red light cameras here are run by a private company, carry no criminal penalties or license points, cannot be appealed, and if they aren't paid by the due date will be kicked over to a debt collector.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

The red light cameras here are run by a private company, carry no criminal penalties or license points, cannot be appealed, and if they aren't paid by the due date will be kicked over to a debt collector.

ALBQ?

Is there something seriously wrong with that city? When I lived there (early 90's), it was like drinking and driving was a sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I’m on call 24/7 for water rescue, so if someone falls through the ice at 3AM being able to warm up my engine for 30 extra seconds while I throw in my contacts is very nice when it’s negative gently caress outside.
This is an extreme edge case though.