Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm suddenly having an issue where some Steam games which previously launched in windowed fullscreen are now just launching in windowed, though sized to my monitor, so with the window borders they actually bleed over to my second monitor and behind the taskbar. I even had one game do this mid-play. Searching showed someone with a similar issue get suggested that it was an NVIDIA issue overriding configs but I didn't see any way to actually fix it (and I'm also not 100% sure that's my problem). Has anyone ever bumped into something like this? It's incredibly frustrating. I reinstall steam earlier this week so that may be the culprit, but if so I have no idea what I changed a billion years ago that would have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Best VR game: Baldur's Gate 3
Best racing game: Baldur's Gate 3
Best RTS: Baldur's Gate 3

etc.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You know what's really aggravating is when you want to play a game that's a few years old and goes on sale for $20 every other month, except it's not on sale THIS month and they want 59.99 and I can't even find a shady key site that will sell me a Steam key versus creating a brand new Steam account with the game on it which entirely defeats the purpose of having it on Steam

I wanna play RDR2 finally, I just got a cool new monitor. :(

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Yogscast Jingle Jam has started and there's plenty of good games (if you like indies) bundled
https://jinglejam.tiltify.com/games

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

im playing dark souls i for the first time and the asylum demon jumped off the bridge lmao

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Some cool games in that list but I didn’t see a way to purchase.

One in that list was Cat Quest that I never see people talk about but it’s a really fun coop game. Me and my wife really enjoyed playing through both 1 and 2.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ok i have purchased RDR2 for $40 using what feels like the sleaziest back alley version possible, where I sent them my steam profile url and someone friended me and gifted me the game

what the gently caress dogg this was G2A, I thought they were legitimate? They've been around forever

e: Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

Ok apparently this was in the OP. Jeez, hope I don't get my account banned or something.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

fez_machine posted:

The Yogscast Jingle Jam has started and there's plenty of good games (if you like indies) bundled
https://jinglejam.tiltify.com/games

I'm not really seeing how to get these?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

I'm not really seeing how to get these?

Sorry that's just the games list, here's the main page.

https://jinglejam.tiltify.com/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Phenotype posted:

ok i have purchased RDR2 for $40 using what feels like the sleaziest back alley version possible, where I sent them my steam profile url and someone friended me and gifted me the game

what the gently caress dogg this was G2A, I thought they were legitimate? They've been around forever

Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

Ok apparently this was in the OP. Jeez, hope I don't get my account banned or something.

The probability of getting your account banned is incredibly low, even though others makes it seems like you would get banned for barely thinking about the site. They might take the game away from your account, though that is also rare. You are probably fine, just don’t use the site again.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I've never heard of account bans from using the site, just a chance that randomly in the future the game will get removed from your account.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Some of those charities look kinda dodgy. Do you get to pick when you donate like old humble?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

This is good to hear! I hate loving with third party sellers anyway. I wish they'd just drop the prices of older games permanently, but I guess they did the math or something and folks are more likely to buy it if it goes (!)ON SALE(!) for $20 every few weeks rather than just $20 year-round. Last time it happened to me I think I managed to find a goon with a Payday 2 code rather than consider paying full price.

Do I gotta get some kind of mods or HD texture pack or anything? I heard RDR2 was supposed to be really good-looking.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Phenotype posted:

You won't get banned but G2A explicitly sells separate chargeback insurance for when it turns out a game's key was bought with a stolen credit card and steam revokes it. Because it happens often enough to worry about.
So there's a chance your $40 will go poof.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Unless I'm missing something RDR2 is on sale for 20$ on several legitimate sites like fanatical https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/red-dead-redemption-2 or https://us.gamesplanet.com/game/red-dead-redemption-2-rockstar-key--4316-1?ref=salenauts?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would recommend looking at isthereanydeal.com if you want to check if a game is on sale anywhere. All the sites it lists are legit as far as I know.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's a Rockstar Launcher key, though. I can't be the only weirdo that would pay an extra $20 to have a game show up in my actual Steam library.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phenotype posted:

30 or 40 years from now you're going to give the nice man from the IRS with the funny accent who cold-called you complete access to your bank accounts and lose your life savings.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I remember right a lot of (all of?) the keys being sold on G2A aren’t actually being sold by G2A itself. Whatever the process may be people/businesses can register and sell their keys, how the keys get to the people who bought them doesn’t matter to G2A. They’re a middleman, and that’s the generous way of putting it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Phenotype posted:

It's a Rockstar Launcher key, though. I can't be the only weirdo that would pay an extra $20 to have a game show up in my actual Steam library.

If it's about having your collection in one place, I recommend going open-source and store-agnostic, i.e. Playnite. I still have a purchasing order preference (GOG->Steam->Epic->Publisher Stores) but in general I do not care any more where a game lives. If you simply do not want to install these other launchers in the first place then that's not going to help of course.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The solution to having too many launchers is to install even more launchers

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jack Trades posted:

The solution to having too many launchers is to install even more launchers

My collector's mind desires to have everything neatly listed in one place. Also, I only ever start one launcher, the others open and close automatically as needed. But it's the collection thing that's more important to me tbh.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's also great when you go "wait poo poo my hard drive is almost full let me uninstall some games" and it can put all the libraries on one page sorted by filesize so you can realize you still have jedi fallen order installed on the ea store and it's like 100gb

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just use wiztree when I need to find where my space has gone.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's also great when you go "wait poo poo my hard drive is almost full let me uninstall some games" and it can put all the libraries on one page sorted by filesize so you can realize you still have jedi fallen order installed on the ea store and it's like 100gb

Didn't even know you can do that. I've been using TreeSize to check for wasted space. Which reminds me of one store I'm still not going to buy from, which is the Microsoft Store. Other than being just generally trash I once found like 60GB of files left behind because MS apparently can't even uninstall a game properly (Forza Horizon).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mescal posted:

im playing dark souls i for the first time and the asylum demon jumped off the bridge lmao

I guess you mean the Taurus Demon in the undead Burg? That's a classic that never gets old. (Asylum Demon should be in an enclosed courtyard whose door doesn't open until it's dead)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there a way to prevent an Xbox One controller from going to sleep after a while? The only way to prevent sleep I found is to connect my old regular controller via USB and also remove the batteries. The Elite 2 does not have a removable battery, even connected to USB it goes to sleep.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Like Burning Rain mentioned you could get RDR2 for less than 20€ right now from somewhere like Fanatical or Gamesplanet which are totally legit gamestores. I nowadays use gg.deals pretty much every time I want to buy a game, there's quite often so many discounts you don't have to pick the seediest possible option.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

this is absolutely what I needed for winter, thanks!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sebmojo posted:

I mean, it's absolutely gigantic and finished, isn't it? I don't think dead is quite right

Pretty sure they just patched it last week and they will no doubt sell more over priced DLC (and I say that as a fan but the last DLC was a joke for charging $25)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah for reference the community reaction to the pricing + unaddressed longstanding issues was so big that WH3 got more hotfixes in the past 30 days that WH2 got in over two years lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, getting a bunch of hotfixes in quick succession might not always be a good sign, as it often means that the stuff they are fixing is breaking other things in new and exciting ways.

Edit: Not that waiting more than half a year to fix obvious issues that the community had to get modded fixes for is any better.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RandomBlue posted:

Can't imagine playing BG3 on the deck, does it have actual gamepad controls or are these sickos using touch screen / mouse emulation controls?

e: turns out google can answer questions like this, it does have controller support

Not only does BG3 have support for both KB/M and controller, it has separate UI for each, AND you can switch between them (including UI) seamlessly by just using one or the other during the game.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Dec Humble Choice leaks:

Elex II
Expeditions: Rome
The Gunk
Nobody Saves the World
Midnight Fight Express

I played Nobody in March of this year and it was pretty forgettable. I thought it wore out its welcome by the end and that's without the dlc. Maybe it's better with co-op.

and The Gunk has been on my wishlist for a long time but the reviews say it's extremely short and it never gets a decent discount.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Gunk is a good game but it's only about 5 hours long, so a bundle is the right way to do it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an update out! ... and some sad news:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/790060/view/3905246507027328891

quote:

First thing I want to address is the changes in regional prices. We mistakenly set all the prices to the new values that steam proposes. Unfortunately, we are unable to change any prices for a certain amount of time, we are also unable to participate in a seasonal sales for some time after a price change. That's what caused this game to be locked out of participating in the Autumn Sale last week. We will be setting all the regional prices back to their original lower values right after the Winter Sale ends. This mistake caused the game to lose so much momentum it gained since this summer, and missing 2 sales in a row would kill it completely, so I can't afford to fix the prices until after the Winter Sale. (I'm using vague time frames because I am not allowed to share all the details, I am also restraining myself from using harsh and unprofessional language to call out steam's unwillingness to make any exceptions for a good faith indie dev that can explain their case)

If you are from a region that got a huge price increase and you have been waiting for a sale for this game, it might be best to wait for Spring so the discount is actually on the lower price that I intended.

I also just want to take a moment to really thank Youtuber Olexa, for helping skyrocket this game by orders of magnitude from where it was back in June. I hate that we have to appease the almighty algorithm here to survive, but he kickstarted a positive feedback loop that was very good for me. I can't thank him enough!

Having said all that, this update is very light on new content, but I had a lot more bugs to fix. In fact, I believe this update has the most individual bug fixes ever. I also laid out some groundwork for upcoming content that I will explain in the roadmap below

Early Access updated game version to v8.1

[...]

Version 8 Roadmap!
As always, this is my plan, but I must warn you that I am a notorious scope creeper. I like to joke about it, but I won't ever add anything huge and frivolous.

New monsters
I'm saying it right here. Exactly 14 new monsters will be added in version 8. I am not hiding any surprises this time. The total will be 113 after this!

1 is a new common Veyeral to even out the maxed out towers. The maxed Veyeral tower has 1 less battle than the other 5 family towers right now, and that just kinda feels wrong. So this one will be added to balance that out. This will be that last common battle ever, I swear this time!

There will also be 6 new thorned monsters! One for the top of each family tower. Right now you simply fight a buffed version of the newborn again at the top. Those are just placeholder battles.

As for the other 7, they will be another set similar to Nova and Gems that will be unlocked within the towers mode. They will also extend the family towers and Torrential Tower by adding 1 battle to each.
These will neither be thorned nor common. They sit in the special tier that shiny battles are in. This will make more sense once I get one finished.

These monsters will be released as soon as I finish them in whatever order I feel like working on them.

Gifts
The category of gifts that will grow the most is the Bounty Gifts. I expect the total to end up around 40 to 50. I have a bunch planned, but I'm sure I'll come up with a few more along the way.

Obviously 14 new monsters means 14 new blessings and 14 new burdens. They probably won't be added simultaneously with the monsters, because I've got too many pieces of content to check off with each new monsters now. There will also be a few more Unique Blessings and Burdens with some simpler effects compared to the wackiness of all the character inspired ones. There will only be a few of these though.

The only other things planned are a Power Gift that grants the new mite helpers. And a few more Power gifts for Star shots and Feather shots. I also have some vague ideas for more quick gifts especially ones that will be more useful in The Towers. Anything else will be random gifts I come up with on the spot.

Endless Nightmare
There will be a 3rd endless mode with the blessings and burdens structure similar to The Towers. Probably called Endless Tower, who would have guessed!

Endless Nightmare as a whole will also get it's true unlock dream condition as it has something to do with the towers.

New Events
This is definitely the category that has the most potential to scope creep. It's hard for me not to want to give every unique common monster an event! The only 2 planned events are Shanx and Hadesoh that somehow deal with Burdens. However I have an idea for an event type with blessings, and those would go to some other monsters that don't have events yet.

A Little Bit of Story
The Towers will get a few scenes added as they are actually part of the main story plot. I have to decide if it will be too spoilery still, but I think this part of the plot can be shown as it's designed to be seen anytime after the first few runs with Her Heart reveal the whole rain thing.

I will be finishing the real scene for Defect's Totaria path ending along with a few other scenes for Defect's story.

I will also add intro and ending scenes to Altered Story for Her Heart, Defect, Alter Heart, and Alter Defect!

This story stuff will likely be added last as I ramp up to finish all the rest of the story for v9.0

How long will this take?
Iunno? I usually space updates out 2 or 3 weeks apart and put in as much as I can finish in that time. Like with all my version 7 updates, I'll add a simplified checklist of everything remaining at the bottom of each post.

Speaking of that, the next update will be on December 22nd! Let's see what I get done!

Thank you for playing from the bottom of my void heart!

steammmmm I understand the reason for the price locks, but man, I hate to see a legitimately great game get screwed over.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an update out! ... and some sad news:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/790060/view/3905246507027328891

steammmmm I understand the reason for the price locks, but man, I hate to see a legitimately great game get screwed over.

How did they mistakenly set prices? That must be a fairly deliberate process.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

How did they mistakenly set prices? That must be a fairly deliberate process.

Maybe they accidentally pressed "Yes" on something like "Steam updating regional prices. Would you like to set them to recommended values? Yes/No"?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I've been playing some more Lost Epoch and I'm enjoying how you're not just The Chosen One, you're the Chosen One to a ridiculous extent. Half the conversations in the game go like:

Friend: Okay, we need to go retrieve the Chalice of Light from the Ultimate Overlord's camp. Now, what we'll do is wait until after dark when everyone is asleep and sneak past the guards--
Player: I don't have time for that. I'll just go now and kill everyone.
Friend: You...what? There's literally an entire army in there!
Player: It's fine. Wait here, I'll be back in like ten minutes.

Like, I know it's a trope, but it's intentionally so heavily laid on here that it wraps back around to making me smile at how dumb it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played through the Lost Epoch campaign probably half a dozen times and I don't think I've read a single word of any of the story.
It's hardly that kind of game.