Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Last time I played a major tournament was GP Chicago in 2009 and that was at the time a single event record at like 1700 people or something. The amount of money in that hall was bananas. I can't imagine trying to keep my backpack safe now at an event that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Playing goblins in legacy is really fun. Legacy is a fun.
oh yeah absolutely

quote:

I also feel like legacy rounds feel shorter than any other format.

No, lol, shaddup

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HootTheOwl posted:

oh yeah absolutely

No, lol, shaddup

The last smaller local legacy events didn’t have a single round go to time. Maybe we were just super lucky.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TotalHell posted:

(Un)fun fact, this art is based on Vargas’s dog that passed away. And the flavor text attribution is an anagram of Vargas.

:smith:

I know at least a couple cat arts have been based on the actual cats of the artists.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

I also feel like 950 people showing up to a legacy event is only possible due to our Chinese friends.

I highly doubt that

Sickening posted:

The last smaller local legacy events didn’t have a single round go to time. Maybe we were just super lucky.

Depends a lot on decks. We had maverick v jeskai that definitely went to time. Weirdly a doomsday player came close too

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Hell yeah

Legacy kicks rear end

this

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ilmucche posted:

Weirdly a doomsday player came close too

Ah, the old "fair thassa's oracle" plan

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When my wife was out shopping earlier she noticed a new gaming store in the local mall. Really nice place and I figured to buy a random LoTR collector pack to support them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When my wife was out shopping earlier she noticed a new gaming store in the local mall. Really nice place and I figured to buy a random LoTR collector pack to support them.

Sweet pull.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can you Bolt Bend an Ulamog, Ceaseless Hunger cast trigger?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fadam posted:

Can you Bolt Bend an Ulamog, Ceaseless Hunger cast trigger?

No, because it has two targets.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

cheers

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just pulled 5 Orcish Bowmasters, and a single The One Ring. Please Wizards don't ban 'em

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
5 of them? How many booster boxes did that take?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

:smith:

I know at least a couple cat arts have been based on the actual cats of the artists.
And Beckett Brass is the artist's (now deceased) mother

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And Beckett Brass is the artist's (now deceased) mother

Which one?
Because aren't all the arts of Brass a different artists mother

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, the initial art was the artists mother, and when they brought her back for Ixalan commander the new artist reached out for reference photos so they could keep the look.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Hey does Standard still suck because it sure feels like it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, the initial art was the artists mother, and when they brought her back for Ixalan commander the new artist reached out for reference photos so they could keep the look.

To be more specific, Admiral Brass, Unsinkable is by the original artist drawing his mom again and her crew is the artist's extended family. The art on the cover of Ixalan Commander was by a different artist and was furnished with reference photos.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Froghammer posted:

There are a couple of new decks and some old decks have 1 or 2 new cards in them which seems to be about the most we can ask from a standard release in the eternal era.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
This is a great excuse to relink the artist's post on the process for making the new Beckett Brass art. Even without the heartwarming family connection, it's just a neat post.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Froghammer posted:

I logged into arena for the first time in forever and played two awful standard games followed by two awful explorer combo games

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Expanding Standard to include sets for 3 years just seemed like a bad idea from go. Formats get stale even faster now than before with the millions of more hands played on Arena, so why prolong that

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Every decision WOTC has made in the last 10 years has led to this. Standard of old was only pursued by the masses by the huge amount of focus it had from big vendors, your local lgs, and competitive play. WOTC dumpstered all of that. There is no going back at this point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's really absurd. I think their stated reason had to do with attempting to revitalize standard because they think maybe cards being made obsolete too quickly was the problem... But to me it's just another problem, trying to get into paper standard will always mean needing the best cards from an extra year of sets. Before rotation change, a new player could come in and while not being on the level, is a lot closer to others as they don't need all the werewolf lands and staples. It also means another year of sets being marginalized/overpowered before they're even out because they're competing with so much good stuff piled up.

I think the more modern trend are more frequent releases, mini releases sometimes, and other shakeups to keep the meta churning once people solve it to staleness.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Format staleness primarily is a problem for the people other than the ones extended standard is hoping to bring in, and there are absolutely people I have seen explicitly saying the reason they don't play standard is because you basically get one good year with a deck at max, making it so that they in theory only lose 1/3 of the deck on rotation rather than 1/2 does help with that. Will it actually revive standard, I dunno, but all the "why would the possibly do this" is very very silly, they've explicitly explained why they're doing it and it addresses very real complaints even if it's not what you specifically want.

They absolutely shouldn't have done it with the triomes still legal, or still banned them when they would have rotated though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

maybe it's because I don't know any better, and didn't play the supposed golden ages like Khans standard or o.g. innistrad standard, but I think current standard is fine. that stretch from throne of eldraine to adventures in the forgotten realms was real loving bad, much worse than current

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Blocks were good for standard, since the small sets shook up the a little to get some churn.
Anyways bring back blocks please

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Blocks were good for standard, since the small sets shook up the a little to get some churn.

Will you personally buy enough of the small sets to make it make business sense for WotC?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

alright hoot, so we're about a day and a half out. what're your predictions for bans on monday

Geological Appraiser is 100% getting nuked, and I think Karn will be too. beyond that, I have no idea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Egg on my face if 2024 is the year of standard thanks to these changes. While there are real complaints being addressed, it's easy to see how this approach would be favourable for WotC since in their fantasy world it means more cards stay at higher prices with more people buying them and their products for longer.

The affordability approach is a fake option for them that doesn't fix the other high investment requirements to play a game anyway. Doing nothing wasn't working either, so I get why we're here.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Egg on my face if 2024 is the year of standard thanks to these changes. While there are real complaints being addressed, it's easy to see how this approach would be favourable for WotC since in their fantasy world it means more cards stay at higher prices with more people buying them and their products for longer.

The affordability approach is a fake option for them that doesn't fix the other high investment requirements to play a game anyway. Doing nothing wasn't working either, so I get why we're here.

You can say that but you can also just as easily say "people need to buy new cards less often, less money for WotC." Probably the exact format of rotation basically washes out in that respect, except for in the fact that if they do revive standard, the fact that more people are playing more standard in general will lead to buying more cards regardless of the specific length of rotation.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Speaking of legacy, I'm going to a win-a-tundra event in two weeks. 15 proxies allowed. With what I already own I have a number of options, but I don't get a lot of actual gameplay reps these days.

Things I'm thinking of playing:
-Spiral Tide. I know it's not good, but I have it all already. Also, this is 90% sure what my buddy is also playing at the event, and there's a temptation to be the spectres of yesteryear. I used to play Solidarity a fair bit so I'm familiar with playing tide.

-Tony Scapone's Mono-U PO. I have no reps with the deck yet, but I could get a handful in.

-UR Painter. Or some other welder/painter deck, but this lets me play my volcanics. It's a home-brew list that's focused on jamming the combo early and often. I'm missing a little bit too much for a traditional painter deck.

-8 Cast. Again established, but I have no reps. Also it's not combo, which is less my wheelhouse

-Oops All Spells. The classics never go out of style. It'd be fun to try the new Beseech The Mirror hotness, but I haven't actually picked the deck up in years.

Without much time to play, I haven't played against much of the current meta. I do watch a lot of BoshnRoll, for what that's worth. Oops is probably the best choice from that perspective but I kind of want to run some artifact jank.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Were stores always open to choose their format for FNM? I remember it being purely astandard for many, many years for my LCS at the time, but I don't remember if that was a choice or a mandate before the WPN days.

I *do* know that the dominant format is going to be whatever OP decides it's gonna be. One of the things I miss about the old Pro Tour system is that the qualifier season was whatever the format of the PT it fed was, and then the Grands Prix would be the format wildcards in that they could be whatever format, but fed into the next PT. Now that they've combined PT into a limited/constructed hybrid with no necessarily predictable qualifying structure, it's hard to make any given format the de facto "real" format, as it's always all formats and no formats at once.

I obviously understand why they did it from a business standpoint, but from a gameplay standpoint it feels... somehow more diffuse than having delineated format seasons did.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Speaking of legacy, I'm going to a win-a-tundra event in two weeks. 15 proxies allowed. With what I already own I have a number of options, but I don't get a lot of actual gameplay reps these days.

Things I'm thinking of playing:
-Spiral Tide. I know it's not good, but I have it all already. Also, this is 90% sure what my buddy is also playing at the event, and there's a temptation to be the spectres of yesteryear. I used to play Solidarity a fair bit so I'm familiar with playing tide.

-Tony Scapone's Mono-U PO. I have no reps with the deck yet, but I could get a handful in.

-UR Painter. Or some other welder/painter deck, but this lets me play my volcanics. It's a home-brew list that's focused on jamming the combo early and often. I'm missing a little bit too much for a traditional painter deck.

-8 Cast. Again established, but I have no reps. Also it's not combo, which is less my wheelhouse

-Oops All Spells. The classics never go out of style. It'd be fun to try the new Beseech The Mirror hotness, but I haven't actually picked the deck up in years.

Without much time to play, I haven't played against much of the current meta. I do watch a lot of BoshnRoll, for what that's worth. Oops is probably the best choice from that perspective but I kind of want to run some artifact jank.

bosh regularly makes Stiflenaught look insanely strong. does that qualify as artifact jank

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Spiraltide is fun as gently caress but make sure you know how to run it otherwise your rounds will go super long and everyone will hate you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Venuz Patrol posted:

bosh regularly makes Stiflenaught look insanely strong. does that qualify as artifact jank

As a stuflenought main lemme tell you: deck's great

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think Rb painter is one of the best decks right now in legacy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://melee.gg/Decklist/View/312097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
RB painter is definitely better than my UR brew, but it's well beyond the 15 proxy limit since I don't actually have the painters or grindstones. The UR list is very much a "cool things I can mostly do with stuff I've got" list.

Stiflenought I could probably swing, though it's not 100% my style. I could put UR delver together pretty easily too, I have in the past, but I've never really liked playing it as much.

My heart says play Tide if I just want to take what I know best, play Paradoxical Outcome if I want the strongest combo deck I can field, and play Oops if I want the easiest to play because I'm rusty.