Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
https://i.imgur.com/ymZjTdX.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

zero point eight gigasperm

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
i have an interview monday with a series a start up.

japan was awesome. my back-up job is to be a field co-ordinator for the org i went with if the tech sector is still freezing cold for designers. i'd be paid to go to japan 2x a year. this is if they can pay me a living salary. it'd still be a 50% pay cut from my previous position though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

did virtual onsite with a FAANG this week and the recruiter asked me if i had any competing offers on hand

how the hell do people do it, keep up a day job and also interview so hard they have multiple competing offers, concurrently? i don't even mean interview stress or anything, i mean just the logistics of coordinating everyone's time and everything, and being able to block out a ton of time on your calendar so they can find someone to take the interviews

or idk maybe this is just a symptom of my own work calendar being a gd mess and our crap meeting culture contributing to why i'm looking to change jobs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
wfh makes it easier to juggle those things, which is one of the reasons bosses hate it so much (if you are compelled to be in the office m-f then they can notice you dressing nicely or ducking out early or taking long lunches more easily)

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
i also wouldn't worry too much about having neat, long blocks of time. usually you can split these virtual onsites across a few days if you really need to, so having an hour here or there should be fine unless there is a critical dependency on the interviewer side who has a particularly limited schedule.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

or idk maybe this is just a symptom of my own work calendar being a gd mess and our crap meeting culture contributing to why i'm looking to change jobs

beginning to think this is the real explanation then and i am just living in hell right now

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

kitten smoothie posted:

did virtual onsite with a FAANG this week and the recruiter asked me if i had any competing offers on hand

how the hell do people do it, keep up a day job and also interview so hard they have multiple competing offers, concurrently? i don't even mean interview stress or anything, i mean just the logistics of coordinating everyone's time and everything, and being able to block out a ton of time on your calendar so they can find someone to take the interviews

the answer to a recruiter asking about other jobs is always "yeah i just did <thing the recruiter is about to schedule> yesterday with another company"

this will get them to rush you to the next step but not disqualify you (whereas if you say you have an offer and the recruiter just did the screener, they won't bother with you unless you make it really clear you are still interested)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

did virtual onsite

wtf is a virtual onsite

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

wtf is a virtual onsite

its an offsite onsite, but everyone is offsite in a different place irl

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

its an offsite onsite, but everyone is offsite in a different place irl

a what

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

my off/on site, might delete later

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a bunch of interviews on zoom done back to back.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

yay: passed on-site interviews, scheduling meetings with teams to see if one is a match
boo: down-leveled, with no specifics on the range for the new title. based on levels.fyi, it could range from just fine on the higher end to "that's the increase from the last 3 job change/promotions gone"

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

The Leck posted:

yay: passed on-site interviews, scheduling meetings with teams to see if one is a match
boo: down-leveled, with no specifics on the range for the new title. based on levels.fyi, it could range from just fine on the higher end to "that's the increase from the last 3 job change/promotions gone"

🥳

Is this one of those companies who refuse to consider current comp as a competing offer? If you have time to bash out another quick set of rounds you could try putting something together from other places, otherwise if you're not in a bad spot now then you could push back on comp and worst case just stay put. Even without a competing offer there is probably some wiggle room on equity.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i need a sanity check from other ios devs.

for a 90 live coding session i got asked to make an app from scratch that makes a network call, displays the data in a list, the list cells have an increment decrement button and a label that displays the count, at the bottom, there's a discount view that shows applied discount total and a button that doesn't need to do anything but displays the total of your items, discounts can apply to items, or the total order if they meet a min value. is that reasonable? i got the network stiff, ui, and increment decrement done.

i feel like that's a god drat sprints worth of work. maybe i should stop applying to senior roles.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I assume they expect you to use and know really well some specific framework, and for the end result to be super ugly and poo poo. Like you can do all that in a single razor template I think if you ignore most best practices?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i was told to code in my regular style and to end with what i do before i clean it up for a pr.

i did it in uikit, but mentioning specific framework you could probably do it with swiftui in that time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, that task is what swiftui tutorials usually make you do

and draw a circle

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
you don't actually have to write all the code in those live interviews though, right? that's why they're better than takehomes

you write one good core class then just talk about how everything else would work

I've gotten two dece figgie jobs this way

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

looks like they wanted me to finish because i just got the rejection email. also i'm going to straight up stop interviewing with companies that don't provide feedback. if i spent 5 hours on your onsite you can figure out how to write a 2 paragraph email on what can be improved.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

looks like they wanted me to finish because i just got the rejection email. also i'm going to straight up stop interviewing with companies that don't provide feedback. if i spent 5 hours on your onsite you can figure out how to write a 2 paragraph email on what can be improved.

what about that feedback do you think could possibly be actionable? it's not like you're going to go through the same interview process with the same people again, and even if you somehow could, why would you trust anything they'd write?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sometimes the honest feedback is that you were fine but they found someone else they liked better. Not much you can do about that.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

in the before times, the holy order (if you didn't get to skip any) at bigtech was: phone screener with recruiter, technical phone interview, then the onsite which was 4-6 interviews in a day

post-pandemic it's still called an "onsite" but it's on zoom and often split over multiple days

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

sometimes now you go into an office to sit on the zoom calls, so it's an onsite offsite onsite

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

also i'm going to straight up stop interviewing with companies that don't provide feedback.

this is a bad plan. what are you gonna do, shitlist the 95% of companies that don't mess with feedback? or just refuse to interview if they don't pinkie-promise to make up some nonsense? it's nice to get closure or whatever, but nobody's gonna give you meaningful feedback that you can use for improvement. if you are worried that you're doing something wrong, you're gonna have to do some mock interviews with folks.

all that said, that poo poo sucks and i'm sorry kd. it's rough out there. im rooting for you ❤️

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only real feedback is offer letters

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
feedback if you get to the final round is usually very frustratng anyway becuase it tends to be stuff like "You could have done the job fine and we like you but there was another candidate who:

asked for 20k less
was a 93% fit to your 91%
factor we can't legally discriminate on but did anyway
interviewed on a day when I the hiring manager was in a better mood

or some combination of the above. might as well save yourself being annoyed about it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
my last couple "nope sorry" had no feedback and I would at least have accepted a simple "we're hiring someone who already has EU citizenship instead of needing a visa" or similar

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is the job situation particularly rough right now, for C/C++ with about a decade of experience but a "legally can't discriminate but we did anyway" issue?

I've been thinking about switching for more money and because of some restructuring at work (no job losses outside of middle management though)

figured I might as well ask ITT

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

the company is firmly in the "too big to fail" territory so not worried about it, but there could definitely be job cuts, outsourcing, downsizing, whatever

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Private Speech posted:

Is the job situation particularly rough right now, for C/C++ with about a decade of experience but a "legally can't discriminate but we did anyway" issue?

I've been thinking about switching for more money and because of some restructuring at work (no job losses outside of middle management though)

it's either good and you should start looking asap or it's rough so you should start looking asap

(always be interviewing)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

for real don’t wait til you’re desperate to give yourself options. a few hours every couple months to stay sharp and learn what you could get is a good investment

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Private Speech posted:

It's not great right now, particularly in games. I've had 4 offers in the last year, all lowballs.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

companies don't give feedback in the off chance that one of the reasons opens them up to litigation

applied to one (1) job; rejected without interview from one (1) job :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Private Speech posted:

it's going to vary from market to market, sector to sector, etc to etc, but overall the tech world is in a really bad spot right now. it can't hurt to sniff around but a year and a half ago i had a constant conga line of recruiters dancing into my linkedin inbox and now i haven't heard from anyone in... jeeze probably months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
if you give candidates actual feedback 1 in 3 throw a temper tantrum, no matter how politely they ask which is why I stopped giving feedback.

any job prob have 6+ people asking for feedback, I’m not putting up with 2 temper tantrums per job req

e: that’s for engineer candidates

for sales rejections, 2 of 3 throw temper tantrums

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 3, 2023