Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Two companions seems to work fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

howe_sam posted:

She was a nanny for those two kids during season 7B, but I don't think it was her profession, just helping them out after their mother died? By the 50th she was a school teacher, and that stuck for the rest of her time on the show. Though why she made the change never really was elaborated on.

Might just have been a holdover from when she was originally written to be the Victorian governess

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As much as I like 5’s or 13’s full tardis crews, having a single companion is just easier all around. You don’t end up with episodes where half the companions don’t have anything to do or are completely forgotten until the last act, plus it lets you focus more on other guest characters that are only relevant to the current episode.

Poor Yaz (and Nyssa!)

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Clara was written as a foil for Capaldis serious angry Tucker-Doctor. Problem with her first half-season is that it wasn’t with Capaldi, and her and Smith as a pairing just became sorta obnoxious. Plus she was one of the biggest examples of the weird gross women are the real mystery trope that Moffat had a habit of falling into.

Once Capaldi showed up, Clara made a lot more sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Problem with her first half-season is that it wasn’t with Capaldi, and her and Smith as a pairing just became sorta obnoxious.

I always liked the way they handled the changing of the status quo from Smith to Capaldi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1os_szONEg&t=113s

"Clara, I'm not your boyfriend."
"..I never thought you were."
"I never said it was your mistake."

I like carry-over companions. I think they're super interesting cause the dynamic changes.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Slyphic posted:

I am exactly as bored by the next companion being Yet Another Contemporary British Woman as I am excited for Ncuti. I would swoon to hear we'd get even a secondary character that's either not British, or from a different era or just someone that doesn't make me think "Rose_2 has entered the Tardis"

IIRC, in one of those streams Jay Exci and Stubagful do where they write story outlines for their own version of the Doctor, they came up with the idea of having a defective (as in pacifist) Dalek as a companion. Its arc would revolve around the constant conflict of the Doctor wanting to help the Dalek navigate the world, while the human audience POV companion would be deathly afraid of it, while the Dalek itself would struggle to figure itself out throughout its arc. It was a very neat idea and I wish the show would attempt something like that again, because Bill/Missy lasted all of what, one and a half episodes?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It really did feel like they squandered a lot of the potential of the Missy in a vault situation, and doing a bit more with it would have made the moment she chooses to side with her prior incarnation hit a little stronger (it was still good!).

I did love the episode where she pauses a moment and then points out to the Doctor that they both know she could escape the vault in seconds if she REALLY wanted to, and the Doctor doesn't hesitate in acknowledging that she absolutely could despite all his precautions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

It really did feel like they squandered a lot of the potential of the Missy in a vault situation, and doing a bit more with it would have made the moment she chooses to side with her prior incarnation hit a little stronger (it was still good!).

I did love the episode where she pauses a moment and then points out to the Doctor that they both know she could escape the vault in seconds if she REALLY wanted to, and the Doctor doesn't hesitate in acknowledging that she absolutely could despite all his precautions.

While I do love the Dhawan Master, it IS disappointing that he's straight back to "bwahahaha I will take over the universe out of SPITE" after Missy at least TRIED (and died trying).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Until I learn otherwise I'm still assuming that Dhawan never met or knew about Capaldi and regenerated into Missy to show that he could be a woman too, and is completely unaware the entire time that 12 has no idea how devastated he's supposed to be about it. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As much as I like 5’s or 13’s full tardis crews, having a single companion is just easier all around. You don’t end up with episodes where half the companions don’t have anything to do or are completely forgotten until the last act, plus it lets you focus more on other guest characters that are only relevant to the current episode.

I think 2 companions is the sweet spot. Jamie and Zoe, Amy and Rory, Bill and Nardole, even Nyssa and Tegan work, because you can have a simple A/B plot structure (Doctor and Companion 1 do something, Companion 2 gets captured or goes off with the guest star). When you get above that you have problems

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I think 2 companions is the sweet spot. Jamie and Zoe, Amy and Rory, Bill and Nardole, even Nyssa and Tegan work, because you can have a simple A/B plot structure (Doctor and Companion 1 do something, Companion 2 gets captured or goes off with the guest star). When you get above that you have problems

For whatever reason two companions works really well on TV, but I've been thinking that just one works better for me on audio, particularly if you're only doing 45 minute eps. But I reckon it might be a budget thing, since a lot of BF plays with three regular characters end up only having the budget for two guest actors, and it's painful seeing them try to construct an elaborate society and plot with such a small palette

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Two companions also allows them to have side conversations that don't involve the Doctor, giving them an opportunity to work things out for themselves (in a way the audience can easily access), providing an alternative route for exposition, and also simply giving a different chemistry that can allow for fun exchanges. People always refer to "Jamie/Zoe" instead of "Jamie/Zoe/Two", not because people don't love Troughton, but because it was such a shining example of doing a duo who play off each other so well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

LividLiquid posted:

This is something that actually makes me sad sometimes. It's The Doctor's home. It should be treated as something more than their car.

There's two sides to this though - there's a lot of stories, especially in the 4th and 5th era, there there's lots of time spent in the TARDIS just to fill time. It doesn't advance characters. it doesn't advance story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well that's up to the writer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Fourth Doctor's "secondary console room" was great and it's a shame we never got more than a single season with it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Fourth Doctor's "secondary console room" was great and it's a shame we never got more than a single season with it

It's nicely cozy. I like the cozy rooms, that's why my favourites are Eight's and Twelve's after he put in the chairs and shelves.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Well that's up to the writer.

The budget probably had more to do with it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s 2027 and budget cuts have necessitated a new Tardis set, but it’s a barely disguised and still functional Wendy’s.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

HD DAD posted:

It’s 2027 and budget cuts have necessitated a new Tardis set, but it’s a barely disguised and still functional Wendy’s.

Also Wendy's is contributing to the production budget, which is why every so often the Doctor sings the praises of the Baconator.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

This is just the Bistromath!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Still somehow better than the season 26 set.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Starting from S6-7 onwards, up until Bill showed up, tons of people absolutely could not be convinced to care about Clara or Twelve, and so the show lost their interest. If you didn't buy the toxic co-dependence between 12 and Clara as a compelling seed for television, half the episodes each year were built on a foundation of sand.

There was a huge change in tone with the Bill/Nardole era where Moffat seemed to cut through a lot of his tendency to bloat and grandiosity. It was actually very refreshing and would have been nice to get more than a season of it. Though again, the overarching plot of the season was another "caused by the Doctor and his friends" scenario--it was about trying to redeem Missy.

HD DAD posted:

It lands next to an out of place 50s diner on an alien planet and a Burger War for the hearts, minds, and stomachs of it's inhabitants ensues.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1730965041648709797

And here I thought fruits were supposed to keep Doctors away

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Astroman posted:

It lands next to an out of place 50s diner on an alien planet and a Burger War for the hearts, minds, and stomachs of it's inhabitants ensues.

Fans will finally get the Doctor Who/Star Wars crossover they've been clamoring for, when The Doctor meets Dexter Jettster, exclusively on Disney+

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I'm watching Rose just for the hell of it.

I completely forgot that the first thing Rose does after meeting The Doctor is search the internet for 'doctor' :dumb:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The jingling keys criticism has never made any sense to me. Maybe a stage magician distracting you with confetti while he sneaks a prop into your pocket would be more apt.

If anything Moffat's problem is that he sublimates so much of the actual narrative beneath insinuation and character interiority that if you don't buy into the character arcs his seasons become incoherent. Starting from S6-7 onwards, up until Bill showed up, tons of people absolutely could not be convinced to care about Clara or Twelve, and so the show lost their interest. If you didn't buy the toxic co-dependence between 12 and Clara as a compelling seed for television, half the episodes each year were built on a foundation of sand.

I think most of s6 and s7 suffer terribly from the underpinning character dynamics being undercooked. But Capaldi and Coleman's dynamic big time worked for me.

I think Clara's character arc is more believable in the toxic co-dependency narrative, it's severely under-baked before that. I think Capaldi's first season is about interrogating the premise of Doctor Who - he does a lot of things that Four or Ten would have done and his companion screams at him for it. The problem is that presenting your show's protagonist as a vaguely abusive, absent-minded God and devoting time to dissecting it isn't really great for this kind of show. "These two people love each other so drat much that they're going to break space-time" is a better hook for Doctor Who than "the companion has to remind the Doctor he's an rear end in a top hat so much that she finally says she's leaving."

It's why I also have issues with Tegan. She reacts the way a real person would, but her anger feels so real that you kind of start to hate Five a little. If you're going to have a character who openly seems to hate the premise of the show, you need a dynamic more like Donna and Ten or (to a lesser extent) Leela and Four, where it feels a little like the ancient god is learning almost as much from this curious primitive human he's dragged ong with him.

The other thing that assassinates Moffat's character arcs sometimes is that he very clearly gets horny for his characters and will let that be an interruption. Davies has his moments of this (particularly with Captain Jack), but most of it feels more like Yaz/Thirteen thing, where it's more about a sort of achey longing instead of just shouting "Yowza!"

I keep saying it but I think Davies, while often a total trainwreck, has a charm that if it catches you once is likely to catch you again, once in awhile. It's that Roger Ebert thing about Casablanca being a huge party with all the cliches, and they know your name and what drink you want, etc. Moffat has stronger writing if you look at any individual episode, but his flaws grate on you as he repeats them and his strengths start to wear thin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

New episode of Doctor Who on in less than 2 hours! :woop:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In 50min isn't it? :thunk:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Fine I'll rewatch star beast again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

In 50min isn't it? :thunk:

Should be at 6:30pm London time (it's currently 5:13pm London time).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Fine I'll rewatch star beast again.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

HD DAD posted:

Isn’t this Clara’s Tardis?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

can y'all believe a new episode of Dr Who is fixing to come on??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

can y'all believe a new episode of Dr Who is fixing to come on??

I believe it every single week and sometimes I'm right!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dumb jokes are back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor unable to resist doing the gravity joke as well :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No sonic!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That cold open was dumb as poo poo. And I loved it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That cold open was dumb as poo poo. And I loved it.

Love the various "mavity" references that have followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Two Doctors!?! Two Donnas!

Ghosts!