Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I'm a WINNER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I just have to share this because it was such a wild coincidence.

Last Sunday I was watching E2 while my almost 3 y.o. toddler was napping, but she woke up when I was about 3/4 of the way through and wandered into the living room. I decided to finish out the scene I was watching (seemed like it'd be okay, no signs of violence or vulgarity), then pause it and watch the rest later.

This is the exact point we got the "This is Halloween" needle drop in that episode, and my daughter flips out. She became obsessed with Nightmare Before Christmas this Halloween season and was running around the house going "this is halloween, halloween, halloween" for the entire month of October, plus some of November. In fact, she was just starting to forget about it...until she heard it on Fargo last Sunday. Now she's back to singing it and asking to watch it again, just when I thought we were past it.

It's extremely rare for me to watch any one of my "grown-up" shows when she's in the room, and the one time I chance it they set back our Nightmare Before Christmas counter by 2 weeks. I just can't say I expected that result, at all.

And now I'm super tuned in to all the Nightmare Before Christmas references, of which there were several in E3. What's that all about anyway?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

timp posted:

And now I'm super tuned in to all the Nightmare Before Christmas references, of which there were several in E3. What's that all about anyway?

Okay, I'm glad you mentioned this because it's honestly been irking the poo poo out of me: Disney now owns FXP.
Disney has been absolutely loving relentless with its invasive advertisements to the extent they've been constructing movies around reminding you about all the poo poo they own. Despite how much I like TNBC, it's just slammed in there as Disney product placement and it enrages me.

Everything else I'm enjoying!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The inclusion does make it pretty apparent they probably planned to release this show two months ago.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm curious what delayed it considering the strikes only just ended. Did they really only have a couple weeks worth of work left to do or did something else delay it? Or was it delayed so the actors could advertise it before airing?
Edit: Looked it up, yeah, it was strike-related. The show got shelved when it was supposed to be out in September. I have to assume it got shelved so they could have Hamm go on talk shows for it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 30, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I hope Munch gets what he's owed

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That was one of the coolest episodes of television I’ve ever seen. Cannot wait to see where things go next week. Wish I could binge this season like I did with one and two.

I’m wondering what all the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff is about. Could be the show literally telling the story of a “nightmare” situation that happens before Christmas. Could be a fun thing to with the snowy Halloween backdrop.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

1. I will admit that Fargo has been guilty of being so far up its own rear end with mythology / magic / bullshit to its own detriment.

2. LET'S loving GO!

What a good episode, for ways that I don't even understand fully.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Hard to think about how all of this evolved from the Mike Yanagita scene.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

the usage of a prodigy track is very apt because one of the best parts of this show is beautifully sampling other media

already clears s4 way out of the park. they've already nailed relative subtlety (s3) and i am so ready for them to keep going sicko mode

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well that episode certainly turned a corner into some weird poo poo and I'm definitely onboard. I've never been able to get into this show, but this season has been pretty fun so far.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm enjoying Jon Hamm as a Far Cry villain very much.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

El Jeffe posted:

I'm enjoying Jon Hamm as a Far Cry villain very much.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Adapting the same movie over and over again and expecting different results.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Just finished E3 and what the gently caress just happened? (Serious question- what was Munch 1522 eating?)

I think I said this already, but I'm saying it again: this blows the doors off S4. :tviv: (e- though I feel ripped off at losing 5-6 minutes because they have to do the movie-style credits :argh:)

LifeLynx posted:

I read a review that called this season "an accent in search of a show" or something and now I can't get it out of my head. Yeah, lots of crazy accents, and a lot of them seem designed to replace having to write character personalities. I don't like how one-dimensional everyone who's not Juno Temple is. But I'm willing to stick with it a while longer. It really hurts that this is the first season I haven't been able to just marathon since season 1.

oh jay posted:

1. I will admit that Fargo has been guilty of being so far up its own rear end with mythology / magic / bullshit to its own detriment.

This show seems to lean way, way too hard into the tropes it's trying to inject into every season (and episode). Everyone with an accent, everyone with an accent being simple-minded, goofy country folk from the Upper Midwest ya betcha, the stupid "This was based on a true story" bullshit they still insist on having in the intro to each episode.

But, in four of five seasons, it's been enough to overcome with how good the show has been.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Regarding Jennifer Jason Leigh, for god's sake, is Fast Times at Ridgemont High not nearly as well known as I thought it was?

The only reason I'd have seen it would've been watching it with a girl I dated 18 years ago and we never made it that far, so I've never had a reason to watch any of the Brat Pack movies.

Good to see Gator is exactly the neo-Nazi you'd think he'd be. He's absolutely the in-over-his-head villain from Justified who gets got at the end of the season.

Das Boo posted:

E: Oh, and The Shining music made me smile.

I'm glad I didn't make that connection, or else finishing it at Midnight would've been even creepier.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

the stupid "This was based on a true story" bullshit they still insist on having in the intro to each episode..

I always felt this was in poor taste after that mentally ill woman became obsessed with Fargo being based on a true story and froze to death looking for the lost cash.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Open Source Idiom posted:

I always felt this was in poor taste after that mentally ill woman became obsessed with Fargo being based on a true story and froze to death looking for the lost cash.

That was an unorthodox suicide (she sent a note home to Japan) that blew up into an urban legend.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just finished E3 and what the gently caress just happened? (Serious question- what was Munch 1522 eating?)

He was a sin-eater, they believed that placing food atop a dead person would soak up their sins before they go to the afterlife and pass the sin onto who eats it. Not sure if the actual type of food matters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's a Sin Eater, it was bread and wine (and I think a few other little additions?). The idea was you paid a poor (and likely starving) person money to "eat" the sins of some rich gently caress, then the rich gently caress got to go to heaven for all eternity and live in bliss in paradise while the Sin Eater suffered and was ostracized because now they were the ones responsible for all the bad things the rich gently caress had done, and their soul was stained because of it.

Edit: Beaten like Gator needs to be (more)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I feel like an apologist for S4, as while it's easily the worst of the seasons, it did have so much going for it. Setup was loving great, and a lot of the individual characters had a lot of potential. Heck, most of the cast was brilliant. Just resolved so uncharacteristically unsatisfyingly, and Chris Rock was such a load-bearing presence that his lack of weight crippled half the main plot. Fargo had done anti-climatic endings before, S2 basically has one, but it at least twisted into something heart warming and was a hoot up til then.

Hawley in general seems to be a writer that really leans into the style/vibe/tropes of what he's writing. And 4/5 times he nails it. Tropes are there for a reason and when it's done with even just a fraction of cleverness it comes off brilliantly.

quote:

Everyone with an accent, everyone with an accent being simple-minded, goofy country folk from the Upper Midwest ya betcha, the stupid "This was based on a true story" bullshit they still insist on having in the intro to each episode.

Like this is a feature, not a bug. Makes the characters that have a thick accent but have a turn or two off just being simple-minded stick out (nick offerman S2, Mary Elizabeth Winstead S3). And that in turn feeds into anyone with the thick accent being just a simple-minded goofy country folk being a facade for much more complex people, which is a borderline moral of Fargo in general.

"This was based on a true story", eh. I can't hate it. Appreciate the nod to the series guiding light.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sure okay posted:

I'm a WINNER!

I hate this racist little prick so much

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

This show seems to lean way, way too hard into the tropes it's trying to inject into every season (and episode). Everyone with an accent, everyone with an accent being simple-minded, goofy country folk from the Upper Midwest ya betcha

Yeah this is a big reason I have never been able to get into this show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm not saying they don't lay it on much too thick but also your loss

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
but they aren't simple minded country folk. that's the whole point. "minnesota nice"

like you're doing ME a favor...

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
The last episode was entertaining but nothing actually happened. It was entirely build up for whatever is going to go down in the next one.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Turpitude posted:

The last episode was entertaining but nothing actually happened. It was entirely build up for whatever is going to go down in the next one.
Yeah as Prodigy played toward the end I thought to myself "oh they're gonna cliffhanger this and I'm gonna be right about watching anything Noah Hawley makes on a weekly basis" and then I was.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Turpitude posted:

I think that's just called storytelling my man.

There weren't any gun fights, but a lot happened:

Shot cop confirmed Dot's photo, in a scene confirming that "deputy dipshit is really, really bad at what he's doing" in a wonderfully show don't tell way.

We got Munch's name and backstory. He also takes up camp in some old ladies home.

Bad mother strategizes with Dave Foley now that they know Dot is a Tiger. I think they said they were going to hire security, which is gonna be a lot of extra thugs for shoot outs down the road.

Deputy dipshit is put in charge of a raid on Dots home, is possibly showing up there as is possibly Munch.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think that's just called storytelling my man.

It is a storytelling choice, yeah. But none of our characters took action in any visible way; it was all just plot to get things into position. It's been a while since I watched the previous seasons of this show (and I didnt watch the last season because of the reviews) but iirc we rarely got episodes where so little action was taken. In fact with this show there is often a ton of stuff happening in every episode. I'm not passing judgment until we see the payoff though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Season 1 had plenty of "filler" where Molly tries to run down a lead but doesn't really get anywhere, and Malvo prepares to rip off the Supermarket King, but doesn't execute yet. I don't know if there was ever a full episode of "nothing happening", but slow burns and building suspense have been in this show since the beginning.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There was a whole episode dedicated to a non-sequitur and a character pretty much said, "Yeah, not every story is yours." and that's honestly a very Coen take.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i can help!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s true that not a lot happened in this episode, but the execution of that not a lot was still loving awesome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lotta twins in this show now that I think about it. Was there any in season 4? I completely forgot about it even existing

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

VERY nice sly little touch (assuming it's intentional...)* [possible spoilers in link for a future character arc]: the chronologically first time you see Ole Munch he's wearing a brown sack over his head.

Just like Oogie Boogie.

*Non-spoiler article summary: all the Nightmare Before Christmas references are deliberate and, at least in one casec important, but the specifics of when and how much are a bit of a guessing game. Mike Yanagita was invoked.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Turpitude posted:

We got to see a woman play with Jon Hamm’s nipple rings, you dolt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I know in my soul that the nipple rings were Hamm's idea

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you look closely, you can see the nipples are definitely stick on nipples.

I definitely didn't look closely though, no way I would do that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

El Jeffe posted:

He was a sin-eater, they believed that placing food atop a dead person would soak up their sins before they go to the afterlife and pass the sin onto who eats it. Not sure if the actual type of food matters.

Bread and ale was the most common. Atleast in Wales where the term comes from. Wine looks better on camera though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you look closely, you can see the nipples are definitely stick on nipples.

I definitely didn't look closely though, no way I would do that.
Yeah it got pretty obvious when the lady started playin with 'em and they did not move normal.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Deputy dipshit is put in charge of a raid on Dots home, is possibly showing up there as is possibly Munch.
FYI Munch is inside the Sheriff's home.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Accidental double post.