Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I’m not saying lowered real income doesn’t lead to bad poo poo, I’m saying you should not, under the current system of economics, expect a raise in real terms as long as there is appreciable inflation.

That system sucks rear end, but yelling at your manager is not going to solve poo poo.

If you quit your job and find a better paying one, at least you, individually, can come out on top.

People generally make more money in real-dollar terms as they grow in their career, and what keeps wages from inflating indefinitely is people retiring or getting promoted out of their positions and being replaced by someone with less experience who will take less money (relatively speaking). If you make less money at 40 than you did at 30, you hosed up and/or got hosed.

Edit: Also, as much as it feels dirty to say this, I am not an easily replaceable person. I have leverage specifically because replacing me with someone as experienced as I am in my highly-specialized field will both be very difficult and very expensive. So I can threaten my boss and get away with it because it would cost the company more to get rid of me than to give me what I want. I don't think they will actually give me more - there's a bargaining cost to capitulation that they might not be willing to bear - but they also (probably) won't fire me for it so it doesn't cost me anything to try.

I'm not lucky enough to be C-level where compensation can only ever go up exponentially, but I am lucky enough to be able to tighten the screws on them to try to keep my head above water.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the argument that McDonald's workers being paid 10% more means your burger gets 10% more expensive is bullshit, especially as it will get 10% more expensive anyway.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Internet Explorer posted:

And then you go on to say "well, you as an individual can come out on top." By moving to a new job? Possibly to one without a union?

No thank you.

Xzzy understood exactly what I meant.

In the end the system under-rewards experience and loyalty (because they can get away with screwing loyal workers). This incentivizes workers (at least knowledge workers) to switch jobs in order to get a higher raise than the median, and hopefully beat inflation.

This whole setup was hugely damaging at my previous job, where young ambitious talent could tell, after only a couple of years, that even if they performed top of the pack, by staying on and advancing through junior-senior-principal, their pay would lag behind their classmates who jumped between jobs. Hence, of the new graduates we hired, out of the best talent we only retained a very small percentage.

The end result was a department full of engineers with impostor syndrome or otherwise low confidence, performing decently but never making great strides. Very depressing place to work once you figured out what was going on.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I received a complaint today that an instrument was occasionally missing a measurement thus causing the software I wrote to show a lower average value.

The software records six measurements, then has a calculated average value. Since one of the values is a zero, the average is way off.

No I can not automatically ignore a value . The issue is with the instrument.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, if the wrong value is always zero and zero is otherwise an invalid result, you could definitely ignore those. Sometimes, error handling is good regardless of whether the source of the error is fixed.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

joebuddah posted:

I received a complaint today that an instrument was occasionally missing a measurement thus causing the software I wrote to show a lower average value.

The software records six measurements, then has a calculated average value. Since one of the values is a zero, the average is way off.

you're wrong sorry, fix your poo poo

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

joebuddah posted:

Why is the code not automatically checking for impossible/error values and both reporting those and skipping them for calculating the averages? Like, I am honestly confused as to why this is a "can't be done" thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is zero a valid possibility? Seems like something worth ruling out.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Throw the instrument out the window, or put in on the nearby train tracks.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

chin up everything sucks posted:

Why is the code not automatically checking for impossible/error values and both reporting those and skipping them for calculating the averages? Like, I am honestly confused as to why this is a "can't be done" thing.

It can be done.

If the value is invalid entry such as text, it's kicked out completely and can not be entered

If the average is over limits the whole row turns red.

When they click save , each row is verified. If a zero is found they have to confirm that it's a true zero or stop and remeasure.

Example:

Row 1

Avg: 1.001

The instrument couldn't find location 2 so it returned a 0

Row 1 is now red

Row 2

Avg: 1.2025

User hits save.

Pop up says a zero is found in row 1 , measurement 2.
This correct or would you like to remeasure. If they click confirm, it is saved and it moves on to row2 .

I feel that automatically removing a measurement value of zero , from the data set could be seen as a data integrity issue. When they already have to confirm the zero value.

Arquinsiel posted:

Is zero a valid possibility? Seems like something worth ruling out.

In theory yes. Though not with this part.
Which is why I don't automatically throw a pop-up when a zero value is imported from the instrument.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 1, 2023

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So you made it ask them for confirmation that an entry is valid since it's unlikely but possible, they say it's valid, and then they complain when the invalid data they told the system was valid gives them an invalid result? GIGO, I had the same poo poo happening when I was writing financial reports and project managers would fill out required cost fields with nonsense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
RCA: not possible to prevent user pressing "do bad thing" button.

Are they six different measures of a related thing where the loss in precision for an average isn't actually that big a deal?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
[quote="Arquinsiel" post="5362927
RCA: not possible to prevent user pressing "do bad thing" button.

Are they six different measures of a related thing where the loss in precision for an average isn't actually that big a deal?
[/quote]

It's the same measurement from 6 different points. Kinda like a clock. Measurement taken from 12 ,2 , 4,6 ,8 and 10 O'Clock

The zero throws down the average.

From my point of view , as long as the software is getting the correct values from the instrument and in the correct order that the end of my responseability as far as the data coming in. If their instrument fails to measure correctly 100% of the time, that to me is an issue with their process not my software.

Kicking out any value regardless of value be it zero or 10,000 automatically allows the question to be asked what other values are being kicked out automatically.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The software is making it as easy as possible for the user to not gently caress up, replace the instrument or the user

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel like an edit to ignore all zero values is the right choice, sure we all fall in love with our simple clean scripts but business needs don't work like that. The requirements change and the code gotta follow.

Unfortunately that's the job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

joebuddah posted:

It's the same measurement from 6 different points. Kinda like a clock. Measurement taken from 12 ,2 , 4,6 ,8 and 10 O'Clock

The zero throws down the average.

From my point of view , as long as the software is getting the correct values from the instrument and in the correct order that the end of my responseability as far as the data coming in. If their instrument fails to measure correctly 100% of the time, that to me is an issue with their process not my software.

Kicking out any value regardless of value be it zero or 10,000 automatically allows the question to be asked what other values are being kicked out automatically.
That tells me that you can probably ignore the missed value but you should also go and investigate why the instrument is failing at that specific point as a higher priority. If it's always the same position that it fails at you're either hitting an obstruction of the input device or you're temporarily disconnecting it somehow and either way it's systemic.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
It’s almost definitely an issue with the instrument. Let’s say you’re measuring some ring gauge with a Mahr ULM 600E or whatever and you want the average diameter of the hole, having one measurement be so far off will ruin any average measurement and whatever crappy software Mahr is using is the culprit.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

It doesn't sound like it should matter, from the developers point of view, if its a problem with the instrument.

No measurement device is going to be 100% accurate, never break, and never be misused. The user should have processes to minimize and handle problems like these, and the software should help facilitate\backup those processes.

The original solution is better and better the more you look at it. Lets assume 0's mean either
A. User error in use of the instrument or
B. Instrument is failing somehow.

Introducing an extra, uncommon stop in the process provides an opportunity for the user to correct their behavior, or note/fix the instrument failure. If the problem is a user error doing something like rushing, it creates an incentive to collect accurate data aligned with the original user incentive of completing the task faster- collecting good data is faster than collecting bad.

Every other solution posted is extra complication, less data collection, and or negative incentives.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

As someone who works on data harvesting and transformations from scientific instruments to laboratory information systems, one of our top rules and policies is to never transform or otherwise influence the raw data. Whatever data architecture one builds around the machine should take in any data offered in a valid format from the machine. You've done well to offer the user a warning if the instrument exports a known spurious value, but, unless the data is misformatted or otherwise corrupted, you and your code should not throw away the value without the intervention of the user.

They can come back at you with "well 0 is a known wrong value and just throw it away", but that's a problem with some part of the machine before it ever touches anything within your realm. Imagine if instead of occasionally giving off one 0 out of six, it starts regularly giving 0 for one test and occasionally 0 for two tests of six. that's an issue that should not continue silently without warning the user, and it's in their best interests to know every single time one of their test batches goes wrong.

Also you don't want to be blamed when tests fall out of compliance by only really ever sampling four values rather than six (or whatever) by taking on the responsibility of shrouding the machine performance from the machine operator.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
"If you are on a Teams meeting with this division, you are required to be on camera."
Someone better find a way to get a camera to work through a closed laptop lid soon then.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I don't understand people who work with their laptop lid closed, why say no to the extra screen?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

klosterdev posted:

I don't understand people who work with their laptop lid closed, why say no to the extra screen?

Because it would often be in an awkward, non-ergonomic position and many laptop screens are abject garbage compared to dedicated monitors. Not to mention size, resolution, and dpi potentially being awkward. Better to just dock it and use two real monitors.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

klosterdev posted:

I've got a 3440x1440 monitor taking up most of my desk space, my laptop stays on a shelf under the desk and I use a company issued webcam for teams calls. An additional screen would not help my work flow and would probably just confuse me at this point.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

klosterdev posted:

I have a 13" laptop that is only usable when on my lap or I'm sitting really close to it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

klosterdev posted:

mine is 1366x768. we have newer ones i could replace it with but that's a pain in the rear end and this one works fine, so instead i will simply never open the lid

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You are all misunderstanding. The small screen is for YouTube or Netflix.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
We just got all new desks when we moved to a new building that are quite a bit smaller than our old desks and our dual 27” screen setup doesn’t fit. I’m having to go back to ordering 24s.

There’s no way to fit a laptop screen, not that I’d ever want to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dunno-Lars posted:

You are all misunderstanding. The small screen is for YouTube or Netflix.

That's what the personal machine is for sitting on top of the closed laptop. Never gently caress around on a company machine when you have a perfectly working personal machine on which to gently caress.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

klosterdev posted:

So my cat can sleep on it without pressing keys

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

So my cat can sleep on it without pressing keys

This is the way.

For me, I have two big ultrawide monitors (38" + 34") and there's no easy way to use the integrated laptop screen without it being in the way of something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weedle posted:

1366x768

:gonk:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

klosterdev posted:

The type of stands that hold the laptop open take up more space on your desk than ones which hold it closed and vertical. Monitors which are attached to pole mounts take up no space on your desk at all. I already have five >= 10" screens on or around my desk, so I don't really get much more out of adding an additional small 1080p one.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 5, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I have a 42" 4k OLED as a main and two 27" 1440p on a pole to the side. My laptop's 14" even adds nothing to the equation so it is closed and in a vertical stand behind everything.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Cause it won't run 3 external screens plus the 1 built in.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

at the time it was considered good enough for government work

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You know you dodged a bullet, when an outsourced talent acquisition expert sends you an automated rejection email after 5 rounds of interviews including a take-home assignment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a name and shame level of treatment, unfortunately Glassdoor is trying their best to not be that site any more

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a name and shame level of treatment, unfortunately Glassdoor is trying their best to not be that site any more

They realized there is no money in helping employees - only employers.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I definitely need to catch up on sleep and relax a bit.

Work is finally deciding that everyone needs to have a teams photo, but for some reason that really pissed me off this morning and I told them when they send us in to get our photos taken they can use that but until then they'll have to live with seeing my initials. Its such a meaningless trifle, but there are more important work things to do. Dont know why I let that get to me today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I definitely need to catch up on sleep and relax a bit.

Work is finally deciding that everyone needs to have a teams photo, but for some reason that really pissed me off this morning and I told them when they send us in to get our photos taken they can use that but until then they'll have to live with seeing my initials. Its such a meaningless trifle, but there are more important work things to do. Dont know why I let that get to me today.

Do you see these people often? Because a stock photo can be your friend.

That reminds me, my name bad broke and the photo on there is over 15 years old. I had so much more hope in my eyes.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 7, 2023