Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

'She thought touch was safe' is particularly pants-on-head-stupid because he can turn his hands into weapons. She should be (and can, and was,) dodging regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Taima posted:

I totally get the people who want the return of basic things like character progression that defined the manga pre-Shibuya but I have bad news for you re: the rest of the series lol

Yeah it's not so much that I hate this one plot decision enough to drop the series, rather it's just serving as a very clear sign that the direction I already didn't like isn't going to change

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I took it to mean that Mahito Prime is so much faster than his clone that Nobara had no time to react. His clone got one shot by Yuji instantly. Nobara had no chance to survive no matter what she did. I didn't see anyone complain when Jogo basically teleport killed* 3 people at once, and he's not only weaker than Mahito (I think), but the people he killed were faster and stronger than Nobara.

*Since he failed to kill Nanami completely, and I only saw old guy's charred corpse, Maki might still be alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dipwood posted:

I took it to mean that Mahito Prime is so much faster than his clone that Nobara had no time to react. His clone got one shot by Yuji instantly. Nobara had no chance to survive no matter what she did. I didn't see anyone complain when Jogo basically teleport killed* 3 people at once, and he's not only weaker than Mahito (I think), but the people he killed were faster and stronger than Nobara.

*Since he failed to kill Nanami completely, and I only saw old guy's charred corpse, Maki might still be alive.

Jogo is the strongest of the four Disaster Curses. Mahito just has tons of potential and Jogo realized he would eventually be the greatest of them.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Mahito original being faster is a reasonable theory, but the manga explicitly states that Nobara lets her guard down against the hands that she thought wouldn't blow her up but certainly knew could skewer or bludgeon. It was dumb there and it's dumb here.

I accept the Jogo and Twink ambushes because they are literally ambushes. Nobara was in an active fight with Mahito knowing that she would run into a second Mahito.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

MonsterEnvy posted:

The last twink died just before Nanami, also everyone hated him.

Pretty much everyone is a twink

Pink hair twink, black haired twink, blue eye tall twink etc

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Collapsing Farts posted:

Pretty much everyone is a twink

Pink hair twink, black haired twink, blue eye tall twink etc

adapt or die

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Schubalts posted:

People keep saying that, but the gender ratio for deaths and rear end kickings is drat near equal. Was it fridging when Junpei was killed in front of Yuji? Was it fridging when Nanami got killed in front of Yuji?

Nobara was one of the primary characters in the first half of the series. It feels different when your main focus trio has 1 girl and they get eliminated. Nanami and Junpei are not in the same bucket. They're supporting characters. Junpei exists across a stretch of like 9 chapters in the manga. Nanami is a grizzled mentor. JJK has a lot of characters because its a battle manga, but there is still a focus on a certain set of characters. Nobara was part of that focus.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
IDK Nobara always felt kind of like a side character to me. In fact, this happened so long ago in the manga that I had legitimately forgotten she existed until she showed up for the start of this arc.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It speaks volumes how strong the character designs and the character spotlight chapters are that people really attached themselves to the trio so fast. I feel like jjk is very bleach like on that regard.
Loved the adaptation of the chapter that almost made me throw my phone.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

In fact, this happened so long ago in the manga that I had legitimately forgotten she existed until she showed up for the start of this arc.

You've obviously been spoiled by the majesty of Takaba, truly the greatest character.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

IDK Nobara always felt kind of like a side character to me. In fact, this happened so long ago in the manga that I had legitimately forgotten she existed until she showed up for the start of this arc.

She shows up in chapter 3 and is there for everything. Its more egregious in the anime because the finale of last season is literally her and Yuji doing a sick super power combo. Shibuya has a major shift in focus away from the main characters, and Nobara in particular gets sidelined more, but she is represented in a lot of the story up to this point.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Well thanks to this I know she's dead and not coming back for sure.

In fact, the general attitude of the not-so-subtle manga readers tells me this and also that Maki is not dead, because she's not getting this kind of discussion.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

dipwood posted:

In fact, the general attitude of the not-so-subtle manga readers tells me this and also that Maki is not dead, because she's not getting this kind of discussion.

Yeah it kinda sucks tbh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m anime-only, and I figured Maki’s still alive just because she didn’t get a drawn-out death scene/sequence. But who knows, next episode might have a bit where Yuji rounds a corner, shouts her name, and then Mahito explodes her. Make it a triple-play, Gege.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jerkface posted:

Nobara was one of the primary characters in the first half of the series. It feels different when your main focus trio has 1 girl and they get eliminated. Nanami and Junpei are not in the same bucket. They're supporting characters. Junpei exists across a stretch of like 9 chapters in the manga. Nanami is a grizzled mentor. JJK has a lot of characters because its a battle manga, but there is still a focus on a certain set of characters. Nobara was part of that focus.

She really wasn't though. Like I love her but she was always the one member of her class that got the least amount of attention. She got sidelined by the upper classes and Kyoto teens during the kids fight and the fight with the disaster curses that followed and before that she was kind of along for the ride while the focus was on Yuji/Sukuna and then Megumi. Nanami has as much screen time and connection to the cast/emotional baggage as she does easily.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nanami has as much screen time and connection to the cast/emotional baggage as she does easily.

Just absolutely untrue. Not factual information. Nanami teams up with Yuji vs Mahito, cameos in Hidden Inventory, and then comes back in Shibuya. Nobara is there for training, detention center, kyoto goodwill, the death painting arc, and then shibuya.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nobara at the end of last season dropped a black flash in lockstep with Itadori. If she's capable of that, she's capable of being a supremely gigantic pain in the rear end to deal with, to say nothing of her technique and how it really rattles some enemy types.

Sidelining her to any degree feels like a complete waste. But also yes she as a character owned bones and I wanted more of her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shonen battle gonna shonen battle with its female characters. :smith:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The only shonen battle manga female character that doesn't get chumped is Natsume's grandmother.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

The only shonen battle manga female character that doesn't get chumped is Natsume's grandmother.

What definition of "chumped" are we using? Because off the top of my head, Mikasa in Attack on Titan is one of the toughest people in the setting from start to end, and Chainsaw Man doesn't chump the female cast any more than the male cast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's also Fuko in Undead Unluck, but the anime is still in the early parts of the story so I'll leave it at that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

What definition of "chumped" are we using? Because off the top of my head, Mikasa in Attack on Titan is one of the toughest people in the setting from start to end, and Chainsaw Man doesn't chump the female cast any more than the male cast.

Also pretty sure the female cast is not chumped any harder than the main cast here too.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dipwood posted:

Now that you've been half-spoiled, you might as well be full spoiled: We have no idea if she's alive or dead. It's never really confirmed or stated what her ultimate fate is. So certainly she's not going to be coming back into the story for a very long time, at best, but you don't know that she's dead. You can't. Nobody knows.

Conversely it's one of the things that gets added to the "Female characters treated like poo poo" pile. It's been two years for the manga readers and they can't definitively say if she's alive or dead.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Attack on Titan never felt like a shonen anime about punchmans to me

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jerkface posted:

She shows up in chapter 3 and is there for everything. Its more egregious in the anime because the finale of last season is literally her and Yuji doing a sick super power combo. Shibuya has a major shift in focus away from the main characters, and Nobara in particular gets sidelined more, but she is represented in a lot of the story up to this point.

Word-of-mouth is that Nobara was an editorial suggestion, and while I can't assure the way I perceive her is wholly disentangled from the benefit of hindsight, with the way things turned out I can certainly see how she was never truly part of the core concept for the story.

She wasn't housing some ancient evil, she wasn't inheritor of some rare bloodline magic, nor was she some kind of irregular by the setting standards (that's Maki), nor was she portrayed as training super hard to like measure up or whatever (that's also Maki), and even down to the basic group dynamic - you've got Yuji and Megumi being foils to each other, while all Nobara has is being a Bad Bitch (like Maki) who doesn't even like hanging out with the other students.

In that context, I'd say going out with a smile is a far more dignified end than turning into a screentime hanger-on for the remaining 70% of the series, as is the fate of many almost-but-never-quite core cast characters that get sidelined in battle shounens.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

dipwood posted:

imo unless the manga readers come in here to talk about the animation, the differences from specifically this chapter or just things that were cool in the episode, they should gently caress off.

them coming in here to whine about stuff, especially with future knowledge just sucks rear end. you know who you are.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I hope I’m not part of that group. I mentioned reading ahead, but only to see what happened in the next episode. I haven’t “caught up,” so take my dourness over Nobara as what we just watched.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jerkface posted:

Just absolutely untrue. Not factual information. Nanami teams up with Yuji vs Mahito, cameos in Hidden Inventory, and then comes back in Shibuya. Nobara is there for training, detention center, kyoto goodwill, the death painting arc, and then shibuya.

Yeah and while she's there she's almost entirely doing bits alongside Panda. She gets one major fight, like Nanami did, in the death painting arc but before that is third string behind Todo/Yuji and Megumi and who ever happens to be standing next to him in a scene (From Cursed speech guy to Maki). Even in the Detention Center stuff she gets pulled out by Megumi and the whole climax is just about Sukuna and Megs.

She's not given as much time or focus as either Yuji or Megumi and basically slides into third wheel most of the time. Namami had overall less screen time but when he shows up he's a major focus and a huge pivot for character's arcs and fates. She's always been a second string character in the show. I love her to death and wish she got more in these earlier arcs but she's not really been the focus any more than the rest of the not Megumi or Yuji class, regardless of how the show markets the 3 first years as a trio.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 2, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Y'all saying Nobara wasn't a main character are watching a different show or something

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pork never goes bad posted:

Y'all saying Nobara wasn't a main character are watching a different show or something

Nah, they're just rationalizing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah and while she's there she's almost entirely doing bits alongside Panda. She gets one major fight, like Nanami did, in the death painting arc but before that is third string behind Todo/Yuji and Megumi and who ever happens to be standing next to him in a scene (From Cursed speech guy to Maki). Even in the Detention Center stuff she gets pulled out by Megumi and the whole climax is just about Sukuna and Megs.

She's not given as much time or focus as either Yuji or Megumi and basically slides into third wheel most of the time. Namami had overall less screen time but when he shows up he's a major focus and a huge pivot for character's arcs and fates. She's always been a second string character in the show. I love her to death and wish she got more in these earlier arcs but she's not really been the focus any more than the rest of the not Megumi or Yuji class, regardless of how the show markets the 3 first years as a trio.

Yes, we are already aware that she is a female character in battle shonen.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 2, 2023

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

UnderFreddy posted:

imo unless the manga readers come in here to talk about the animation, the differences from specifically this chapter or just things that were cool in the episode, they should gently caress off.

them coming in here to whine about stuff, especially with future knowledge just sucks rear end. you know who you are.

agreed, manga readers are kinda making GBS threads up this thread. i stupidly clicked on a spoiler that got posted before this episode aired and so this episode lost its weight for me. yeah, i shouldn't have clicked it so it's ultimately my fault, but what's it even doing here?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Blah, blah fridging etc. Meanwhile, I think getting rid of (in whatever fashion) Nobara is a bad move because (a) she's one of the better characters in the show (b) with her voodoo stuff she's one of the only major characters who actually seems tied into the nominal "curse" theming of the setting - even the characters who are curses just seem to murder people using superpowers

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
All three of the trio are good examples of "cursed" people: one manipulates voodoo, one controls a bunch of spirits, and one is possessed by an omnimalevolent murder god. This is the first I've heard of Nobara being an editorial imposition, which is weird because like you said, nearly everyone else seems to have straight up 'superpowers' but these three have a definite theme going.

Also, Nobara and Yuji's honest conversation after the Death Paintings fight was a perfect capstone to S1, I don't know why you would put that sort of insight into a character's mouth and then treat her so abruptly and cut off any further development. Just a rotten rugpull.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brutal Garcon posted:

Blah, blah fridging etc. Meanwhile, I think getting rid of (in whatever fashion) Nobara is a bad move because (a) she's one of the better characters in the show (b) with her voodoo stuff she's one of the only major characters who actually seems tied into the nominal "curse" theming of the setting - even the characters who are curses just seem to murder people using superpowers

Also we JUST got a big "character that Itadori cares about" death with Nanami so killing off Nobara just feels redundant and pointlessly cruel.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Manga reader. This arc rules for its entire duration and is like a top 10 of all time Shonen arc but Nobara was a main character and this particular moment was still a big mistep.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

She was a cool character, and its also very good that cool characters die in a popular series. It is refreshing that you literally don't know the longevity of a character based on screentime/centrality/cool factor. About my only concern is that there aren't all that many interesting characters left, but hopefully new ones come along.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Should've killed off Gojo instead. Unless that happens later, in which case, cool. I hate him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Also we JUST got a big "character that Itadori cares about" death with Nanami so killing off Nobara just feels redundant and pointlessly cruel.

also talking redundancy, isn't this schoolgirl #4 who has had her head exploded in this arc?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 2, 2023