Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

The red light cameras here are run by a private company, carry no criminal penalties or license points, cannot be appealed, and if they aren't paid by the due date will be kicked over to a debt collector.

Haha what the gently caress? So it's literally just a revenue stream for a private company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Biplane posted:

Haha what the gently caress? So it's literally just a revenue stream for a private company?

and then the city takes a cut. Currently the city and the company are being sued by the Southwest Public Policy institute for targeting minority-heavy, low-income neighborhoods with them and not responding to info requests under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act.
This happens every single time they put them up, then they quietly take them down, wait for it to leave the public consciousness for a few years, then put them back up when a new company steps in with a contract proposal. Then the first few weeks they're up they end up getting attacked constantly, requiring actual law enforcement to babysit them.
It's a pretty good scam, tbh.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Cars, TVs, most home appliances -- These all suck so loving much.

There *must* be a market for making [thing] that isn't dogshit. I've said it before in this here thread, but you could charge me an extra $500 for a TV with ZERO smart 'feature' and I'd buy it for the privilege of not having to deal with software.

This exists to some degree - Bosch Dishwashers, Miele stoves, etc. but that market is very narrow in some places (appliances) and actually doesn't exist in others (TVs).

No, because the R&D costs of modern devices are so absurdly high that you need similarly absurd volume to make back what you invested. Everything must sell as many units as possible so everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

The red light cameras here are run by a private company, carry no criminal penalties or license points, cannot be appealed, and if they aren't paid by the due date will be kicked over to a debt collector.

Last time this kind of private enforcement contract was in the news it was because the company was changing the yellow lights to the shortest timing possible to increase the number of people running reds on camera.

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

Outrail posted:

Expecting stores to pack your bags is like expecting waitstaff to cut up your food for you.

this.

but also- the last time I let some shop-twunt bag my stuff, he put the eggs at the bottom, then 2L OJ carton went in & hosed them all up.

I will always & forever do my own bagging thanks very much.

as for self-scanning- why not? there seems to be the right balance in my local sainos between manned conveyors with/without bagging-assistance, the self-scan checkouts (with one or two employees dealing with printer ribbons, authentications.... & isn't it a dark day when you get so old-looking that they don't even glance at you, let alone ID you?) & a set of 'smart' checkouts where you take stuff that you've scanned & bagged whilst trawling the aisles.

overall, this part of the shopping experience is my least unfavourite bit.

if it looks from a distance like the self-scan section is full of idiots who've never done it before, I'll queue patiently behind the folks whose one important social event of the week is talking to the checkout person.

I haven't tried the scan-as-you-go option yet, but I need to look into it & see if it presents any of the opportunities-to-steal that the self-scan option does. (e.g. putting heavy stuff through as bags of carrots, or calling the assistant & looking confused when the scales are flagging an error of my deliberate making. things like an emergency purchase of a coin cell that costs pennies on amazon but you can't wait.... pop it down at the same time as a big bag of rice- boom.)

biggest gripe about supermarkets & large shops in general is the way some parents treat it like disneyland & let their grubby spawn run around the place getting in the way, while they dawdle & hum & hah over stuff that they should just grab off the shelf & move the gently caress on.
if the kids are particularly irksome, I may start knocking stuff over so that either the item or the blame lands on them, e.g. those giant displays of piled-up cans you used to see.

I take a shopping list. on a good day, I can be in & out again in ten minutes, & with at least one item unpaid for, but nonetheless, I always get radge with other people dragging their slow asses around MY shop.
bad person.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In the year 2050 all intersections are toll intersections. Each intersection is owned by one of several companies and the free market determines the optimal routes to take through any given area. Of course it can be difficult to run all of toll apps on your phone. Luckily, major advances in cellphone technology allow thousands of mandatory apps to run while still providing nearly the same performance as today.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol thinking about that nytimes (?) article about a libertarian detective, or perhaps Philip K DIcks classic "Ubik"/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

and then the city takes a cut. Currently the city and the company are being sued by the Southwest Public Policy institute for targeting minority-heavy, low-income neighborhoods with them and not responding to info requests under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act.
This happens every single time they put them up, then they quietly take them down, wait for it to leave the public consciousness for a few years, then put them back up when a new company steps in with a contract proposal. Then the first few weeks they're up they end up getting attacked constantly, requiring actual law enforcement to babysit them.
It's a pretty good scam, tbh.

Lmao I thought I couldn't be surprised anymore but welp, here we are

duncandisorderly
Nov 24, 2023

Blue Moonlight posted:

I went to a John Muir ER lately, and then the next time I went to my Sutter PCP, they were able to pull up all the records from John Muir and it was just great. I think they’re even able to get at my records from Providence back in Oregon. I think it’s because they’re all on the Epic records platform, but it feels very much like The Way It Should Work.

your record label has healthcare that good?

>calls agent<

:)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Blue Moonlight posted:

I went to a John Muir ER lately, and then the next time I went to my Sutter PCP, they were able to pull up all the records from John Muir and it was just great. I think they’re even able to get at my records from Providence back in Oregon. I think it’s because they’re all on the Epic records platform, but it feels very much like The Way It Should Work.

"Who's John Muir?"

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Nvm

veepfake fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 2, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Since the pandemic, like driving, crowd behaviour at concerts has gotten way weirder ime. I had the occasional rude guy show up prepandemic, but it's way more common now. Im a 5'1 girl and people would often offer to let me move closer to the stage so I could see better. Now giant guys feel entitled to shove everyone already in the crowd out of the way so they can push to the front. I've even been outright grabbed and moved out of the way. This happens like every other show I go to

One time, I guess the openers bassist was from the city, so his entire extended family felt entitled to do this, because, "that's my nephew performing!!" OK cool I don't care. Also maybe don't look at everyone who showed up to see your nephew perform like we're freaks? Strange behaviour

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
At one of the last shows I was at a guy got right in front of me with his girlfriend and started bouncing around and they just kept getting closer and closer and closer to me, and I was pinned up against a railing behind me and there was literally nowhere else I could go. I kept gently applying some pressure to his back when he was basically on top of me to keep him from grinding his rear end onto my crotch and after the fourth time of me doing it (maybe a little more aggressively) he turns around and goes "Dude, could you not do that?" and I'm about to put my loving fist through his teeth as if I'm the one who's ruining his night by getting in his space

I loving hate drunk people. Also that venue sucks and it's going to have to be a hell of a show to get me to go there anymore

edit: I was also one of two people in the packed room wearing a mask lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Guys who are there with their girlfriend seem to be the most uniquely entitled ones, like he gets to displace everyone for his princesses sake, and like man idgi as someone who is a girlfriend herself i would die of embarrassment if my boyfriend acted that way

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Everyone who goes to 'shows' has always been exactly like that even pre-pandemic.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

it's gotten noticeably worse in my experience

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Peoples show manners wouldn't be a problem if you didn't leave the house. For fucks sake. Anyway the Volvo ex30 I am considering getting is doing the whole speedometer in the middle mega screen thing. Oh and the 360 camera being the highest trim which also means I get panoramic sun roof I don't want. It's okay though I could get a shade for it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 2, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
People were absolute savages at the Eras Tour in a way I’ve never seen before honestly. It was like everyone forgot how to act. Even near concessions we had a near crush and a little girl in a wheelchair was being practically bowled over. I’m big and loud and had to start hollering at people to clear a path for her or she would’ve been stuck forever.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The last few shows I've been to there are large noticeable groups of people talking through entire sets. If you'd rather talk about your day, go do it somewhere and let everyone else watch the bands.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

The last few shows I've been to there are large noticeable groups of people talking through entire sets. If you'd rather talk about your day, go do it somewhere and let everyone else watch the bands.

death penalty imo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

people have been doing this for years.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

people have been doing this for years.

Maybe it's more of a thing here, moved about 4 years ago, but still drives me crazy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I miss those shows when no one shows up except you and the few regular drunks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

redshirt posted:

I miss those shows when no one shows up except you and the few regular drunks.

There used to be a venue here called The Clubhouse that was literally an old house downtown that got converted to a venue instead of demolished and it was the best thing ever. Max capacity was like 15-20 people. I saw Modest Mouse there once a few years before they got big and it was cool as hell. There was another place called Lost Leaf that was an esoteric beer bar in an old converted house downtown that tried to do the same thing but there was a loft above the main room and the band would play from up there, it would have been cool if they had a better sound setup but it was always way too loud, and they closed down a couple months ago anyway.

That's the only setting where I've ever found live music to be good or worth going to. All these bigass 250+ person venues with pits and poo poo have always been terrible experiences

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nobody has ever talked through a show I've gone to, mostly because its metal bands playing so loud your bones get turned into powder.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

extremely small shows stress me out because i feel bad for the band

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

There used to be a venue here called The Clubhouse that was literally an old house downtown that got converted to a venue instead of demolished and it was the best thing ever. Max capacity was like 15-20 people. I saw Modest Mouse there once a few years before they got big and it was cool as hell. There was another place called Lost Leaf that was an esoteric beer bar in an old converted house downtown that tried to do the same thing but there was a loft above the main room and the band would play from up there, it would have been cool if they had a better sound setup but it was always way too loud, and they closed down a couple months ago anyway.

That's the only setting where I've ever found live music to be good or worth going to. All these bigass 250+ person venues with pits and poo poo have always been terrible experiences

That sounds awesome.

I have the best Smashing Pumpkins story in this same vein, small little club.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The last time I ever saw live music was Streetlight Manifesto and the entire crowd was preteens wearing power ranger costumes

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

most of the concerts I go to are at the Launchpad, Sunshine or El Rey so they're pretty small, and my experience is that poo poo's gotten better since COVID.

Granted, if you're going to go see Sleep or Om or Melvins or HEALTH or something at a club in downtown Albuquerque, generally it's because you want to be there and watch/listen to live music.

edit: at Melvins in October my brother and I went to the edge of the pit to watch Coady play drums and had to tell a couple people to tone it the gently caress down with trying to hit us and get us into the pit, but that was about it

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

looks like the venues in toronto i'm most frequently at max out around 1.5K people
and despite everything metal concerts are still the closest i come to religious experiences

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Last concert I was at was nine inch nails in oslo, 2014, and me and my ex had bought seats. It was the best live music experience of my life, and we stayed seated pretty much the entire show :buddy:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The last time I ever saw live music was Streetlight Manifesto and the entire crowd was preteens wearing power ranger costumes

What

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's what I'm saying!! It was like a whole schoolbus full of kids dressed as power rangers

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

that rules

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

We're not your parole officer. You can tell us what really happened.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Killingyouguy! posted:

looks like the venues in toronto i'm most frequently at max out around 1.5K people
and despite everything metal concerts are still the closest i come to religious experiences

Shows at History are unbelievable. It's an absolutely absurd venue. Very cool
2.5k cap.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slotducks posted:

Shows at History are unbelievable. It's an absolutely absurd venue. Very cool
2.5k cap.

i have seen exactly one show at History but the acoustics were very very good! unfortunately i hate drake and also it takes 5ever to get there by transit
i've got my first show at rebel coming up next year so i'm looking forward to spendiing even more time getting to a venue

things that are getting shittier: venues can only be established further and further away from the city core apparently

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Was this a long time ago? I actually just saw them and most of the crowd were millennials like myself, some of which maybe used to wear power rangers costumes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

re: self checkout chart from a while ago https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/13/business/self-checkout-stores-shopping/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

""Our customers have told us this over time — that the self-scan machines that we’ve got in our stores … can be slow, they can be unreliable (and) they’re obviously impersonal,” Booths managing director Nigel Murray told the BBC."

What a load.

There's no way self-checkouts are going away in any volume, just in some higher "theft" areas, but still. BS