Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There's a gif of Oprah Winfrey shouting BEES that I thought was just some ancient internet humour. It's actually from a 2012 Conan O'Brien sketch, with like a named writer and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDj57VeaC0

rollick has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

nah, medieval people were reasonably tall if they lived in the countryside, people didn't shrink until the early modern period when they started getting packed into cities and underfed on an industrial scale

It's kinda incredible how people rate medieval life vs their reality.

Medieval peasants had like a few weeks of the year where they had to do the backbreaking labour of planting and harvesting. There was no peasant war levy, wars were fought between nobles and professional mercenaries. The peasant's calendar was mainly holidays, and holidays were mainly about feasting and loving.

Sure it sucked when the local Baron de Dipshit vs Seigneur de Shithead decided to war on your land, but in general, it was chill. There is a reason they needed things like enclosures to drive peasants into town.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

QR Code Geass posted:

In reading Salman Rushdie of all things I learned that not only was Mariska (L&O: SVU) Hargitay's mom Jayne Mansfield, but that she was in the car accident that killed her mother at the tender age of 3.

I didn't know this either!

I "enjoyed" the wikipedia article's phrasing of "no, she wasn't decapitated, she just died of cranium and brain avulsion!"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Medieval peasants had like a few weeks of the year where they had to do the backbreaking labour of planting and harvesting. There was no peasant war levy, wars were fought between nobles and professional mercenaries. The peasant's calendar was mainly holidays, and holidays were mainly about feasting and loving.

Sure it sucked when the local Baron de Dipshit vs Seigneur de Shithead decided to war on your land, but in general, it was chill. There is a reason they needed things like enclosures to drive peasants into town.

There's a lot of bad information out there. Peasants didn't just sit around and play on their "holidays" (which is mostly a list if the veneration days of the various saints, most of which were observed only in areas where that saint in particular were venerated), they had crops and animals to tend. Tending said crops and animals was not a trivial task, generally being sunup to sundown work, and if you didn't do it every day you'd start losing them.

The analysis that peasant life was actually pretty easy comes from looking at the times when peasants were required to pay labor to their lord (which was their rent payment for the bit of land they famed, actual coin didn't circulate much) and assuming that it was their primary labor for the year. Mostly because most people today have no conception of the amount of labor needed for day-to-day life in the age before most of it was handled with machines.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rollick posted:

I looked up how tall Tiny Tim was and it's 6'1''/1.85m.

Kind of surprising to me - I'd think it's an above average height, but not enough to base a gimmick on.

Maybe all the other entertainers were shorter back then.

He was born in 1932, so that probably actually was really tall at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tell me you have no idea how nature works without telling me you have no idea how nature works.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tell me you have no idea how nature works without telling me you have no idea how nature works.

I grew up on a farm dipshit

Medieval peasants weren't the miserable dirt farmers pop culture wants them to be, I stand by it

hit me back up when you've picked cotton by hand and actually milked a cow instead of just drinking its glorious produce

and then had to kill the cow kosher

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Dec 2, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It’s really funny any time some cottagecore homestead influencer type gets an actual farm and some livestock and realize “oh gently caress this is actually dirty, time consuming work that’s not just wearing sundresses and baking apple pies and isn’t #aesthetic at all”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I grew up on a farm dipshit

So did I, shitlord. Didn't read the rest of your post.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FARM FIGHT! FARM FIGHT!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gnoman posted:

There's a lot of bad information out there. Peasants didn't just sit around and play on their "holidays" (which is mostly a list if the veneration days of the various saints, most of which were observed only in areas where that saint in particular were venerated), they had crops and animals to tend. Tending said crops and animals was not a trivial task, generally being sunup to sundown work, and if you didn't do it every day you'd start losing them.

The analysis that peasant life was actually pretty easy comes from looking at the times when peasants were required to pay labor to their lord (which was their rent payment for the bit of land they famed, actual coin didn't circulate much) and assuming that it was their primary labor for the year. Mostly because most people today have no conception of the amount of labor needed for day-to-day life in the age before most of it was handled with machines.

I love this fat-cat peasant meme that has been making the rounds in recent years. It's like people saw media like Monty Python's Holy Grail where peasants were constantly covered in poo poo and died of old age at 26 and ran it way too far back in the other direction.

Just imagine how much work the women of a household had to put into making all of the family's clothing using spindles and primitive looms. I wonder what amount of their waking hours that occupied.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't wiat for the "uphill both ways" farm claims start getting made

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farms tend to be on even ground. E: except when they're not.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I was raised on a farm, and I've been involved in numerous secret farming operations both kosher and haram, and I have over 300 confirmed livestock kills. I am trained in advanced farming techniques and I'm the top grower in the entire US farming industry. You are nothing to me but just another fallow field. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision planting the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of farmers across the USA and your farm’s IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little field you once sowed. You're plants are loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can pick cotton in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed harvesting, but I have access to the entire arsenal of farming tools from medieval to modern and I will use it to its full extent to harvest your miserable crops off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
300 livestock kills lmao

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

The Moon Monster posted:

Just imagine how much work the women of a household had to put into making all of the family's clothing using spindles and primitive looms. I wonder what amount of their waking hours that occupied.
For millennia, from the invention of textile spinning until the late 18th or early 19th centuries when the entire Western textile industry was finally fully captured by capital, every woman (ed: except the minority of Spartan elite class women, who made a big deal about it) had a spindle and some wool in her hands and she was loving spinning it, all the time, any time she wasn't doing something else with her hands at that exact moment.

Then again after the textile industry was captured by capital a bunch of women and children had their limbs routinely torn off by the machines that had stripped them of their ability to earn a living on their own without the involvement of those machines and the permission of the man who owned the machines, so it's not like life got BETTER in that specific respect.

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 3, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just realized I can fully rest my chin on my left shoulder but I can't even touch my right shoulder with my chin :(

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

credburn posted:

I just realized I can fully rest my chin on my left shoulder but I can't even touch my right shoulder with my chin :(

I can only raise my right eyebrow.

I can raise both of them at the same time, but only the right one can be raise independently.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I love this fat-cat peasant meme that has been making the rounds in recent years. It's like people saw media like Monty Python's Holy Grail where peasants were constantly covered in poo poo and died of old age at 26 and ran it way too far back in the other direction.

I think people used to see stats like 'life expectancy at birth in the Middle Ages was 35' and assumed that this meant that people back then literally dropped dead in their thirties. But that figure being so low is mostly because child mortality was extremely high, and it only started significantly declining in the 19th century, primarily due to advances in medicine, including germ theory. Life expectancy at 15 would have been much, much higher. If you actually managed to survive until adulthood as a medieval peasant, you had a reasonably good chance of making it to old age.

Not that this means their lives were easy, of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you want to read about the textile industry circa 2000 years ago, the blog A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry has a series on it. But yeah, the tl;dr is that it used just gigantic quantities of labor. "Spending every waking moment on textiles if you aren't doing something more important" isn't really that far off.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

eating only apples posted:

I didn't know this either!

I "enjoyed" the wikipedia article's phrasing of "no, she wasn't decapitated, she just died of cranium and brain avulsion!"

It's why the safety bars on the back of trucks that stop that kind of accident are called Mansfield bars

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Phlegmish posted:

. Life expectancy at 15 would have been much, much higher. If you actually managed to survive until adulthood as a medieval peasant, you had a reasonably good chance of making it to old age.
Women still died at higher rates (the danger of childbirth isn't just for the child) leading to a life expectancy around 40-45 vs around 50 for men once you adjust for child death

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
this video is a pretty interesting dive into how pre-capitalist laborers worked, and how capitalism changed work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvk_XylEmLo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

yaffle posted:

That a raspberry, in the sense of a farty noise, is cockney rhyming slang: Raspberry tart = fart

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you want to read about the textile industry circa 2000 years ago, the blog A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry has a series on it. But yeah, the tl;dr is that it used just gigantic quantities of labor. "Spending every waking moment on textiles if you aren't doing something more important" isn't really that far off.

Second this very good series, and conditionally recommend Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years as well.

That blog describes how these chill professional armies supplied themselves, and it is not fun at all for the peasantry: https://acoup.blog/2022/07/29/collections-logistics-how-did-they-do-it-part-ii-foraging/

Also note that the daily grind is more than a coffee shop from the 90s - it's also hours of awful loving labor grinding your grain every single day because you can't afford the miller's cut and you will starve if you make gruel instead of bread.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yakov Smirnoff - the comedian who came up with "In Soviet Russia, X Y you!" is not in fact dead and gone for many decades but alive and kicking, and a guest on this podcast I'm listening to.

https://podcastaddict.com/go-fact-yourself/episode/167744279

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I really hope they bring him in for the 2nd season of the Night Court reboot!

Punkinhead posted:

I can only raise my right eyebrow.

I can raise both of them at the same time, but only the right one can be raise independently.
I can only wink with my right eye. I can blink with both, but I can't close my left and keep my right open. Makes shooting a rifle drat near impossible.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Dec 4, 2023

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Moon Monster posted:

You know that Family Guy joke where Peter is Scrooge and Cratchit says "but sir, what of Tiny Tim?" and Peter says "bah, he and his ukulele will go wanting."

It's not a monkey cheese random joke. He's referencing the musician Tiny Tim of Tiptoe Through the Tulips fame. I have no idea why I had a sudden moment of clarity re: this throwaway joke from a show I haven't watched in years, but there you go.

Always thought the basic level of that joke is that Scrooge mistook the cripple boys crutch for a ukulele.

The second layer is for people who love the song from the Sponge Bob pilot and have had it on their playlist for for over two decades now.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Ommin posted:

I really hope they bring him in for the 2nd season of the Night Court reboot!

I can only wink with my right eye. I can blink with both, but I can't close my left and keep my right open. Makes shooting a rifle drat near impossible.

It's not hard to teach yourself to shoot with both eyes open. I'm right handed/left eyed so no matter what I do it feels wrong. Some people advocate shooting on the side of your dominant eye. I didn't find this practical, so I figured the easiest way to try to force myself to be ambidextrous when it came to shooting. I'm still significantly less good shooting on my left but I can do it, and with both eyes open on either side.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Ommin posted:

Feeling the need to close one eye is the exception rather than the norm, so you may have an eye dominance issue like St_Ides. In addition to what's been mentioned, some people occlude one eye of their safety glasses. I've seen it done with things as simple as a strip of translucent Scotch tape stuck to the lens.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

St_Ides posted:

It's not hard to teach yourself to shoot with both eyes open. I'm right handed/left eyed so no matter what I do it feels wrong. Some people advocate shooting on the side of your dominant eye. I didn't find this practical, so I figured the easiest way to try to force myself to be ambidextrous when it came to shooting. I'm still significantly less good shooting on my left but I can do it, and with both eyes open on either side.

Dip Viscous posted:

Feeling the need to close one eye is the exception rather than the norm, so you may have an eye dominance issue like St_Ides. In addition to what's been mentioned, some people occlude one eye of their safety glasses. I've seen it done with things as simple as a strip of translucent Scotch tape stuck to the lens.

These are excellent tips, and will keep in mind if it's ever necessary. When I was learning to shoot as a kid, I couldn't shoot left handed for poo poo, so I'd put the butt right in the center of my chest. It didn't take me long to decide that maybe guns just weren't my thing. lol

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There's a Far Side comic (which I guess I can't post) that plays on the expression "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad" and I just realised that it's supposed to be the actual prophet Muhammad depicted in it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, it's the boxer.

Also, somehow never saw that one before. I wonder if it was cut from the collections.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Hyperlynx posted:

Yakov Smirnoff - the comedian who came up with "In Soviet Russia, X Y you!" is not in fact dead and gone for many decades but alive and kicking, and a guest on this podcast I'm listening to.

https://podcastaddict.com/go-fact-yourself/episode/167744279

Did he ever actually use that joke format? I was sort of under the impression that it started out as a parody of the type of joke he would tell and it just became a meme from there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Did he ever actually use that joke format? I was sort of under the impression that it started out as a parody of the type of joke he would tell and it just became a meme from there.

He definitely told the very funny pun
In America, you can always find a party. In Soviet Russia, Party always find you!

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Jessie from Team Rocket's ridiculous swoosh of hair is designed to make her profile resemble a captial letter 'R.' She's even often posed in such a way that her legs finish the look.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kantesu posted:

Jessie from Team Rocket's ridiculous swoosh of hair is designed to make her profile resemble a captial letter 'R.' She's even often posed in such a way that her legs finish the look.

But also:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've posted this before, and frankly I haven't "just" realized it, but it is my favorite:
About 10 years ago I watched Pulp Fiction for the second or third time, it was on a plane or something.
About halfway through I found myself thinking "When is the scene with the plumbers?"
I saw Pulp Fiction in the cinema in '94 when it first came out. At that time crack hadn't really entered into my consciousness, I guess I'd heard of it but I didn't really know anything about it. So when Marcellus Wallace says "I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' <gentlemen>, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch", my middle class English brain said: "Pipe hitting? Pliers? Blow torch? = plumbers". Of course any self respecting L.A. drug baron would know a gang of criminal plumbers who would have everything they needed to torture a redneck; blow-torches, pliers, hammers, drain snakes, everything, makes perfect sense, don't think about it anymore, keep watching the movie. Thanks for that, brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

yaffle posted:

I've posted this before, and frankly I haven't "just" realized it, but it is my favorite:
About 10 years ago I watched Pulp Fiction for the second or third time, it was on a plane or something.
About halfway through I found myself thinking "When is the scene with the plumbers?"
I saw Pulp Fiction in the cinema in '94 when it first came out. At that time crack hadn't really entered into my consciousness, I guess I'd heard of it but I didn't really know anything about it. So when Marcellus Wallace says "I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' <gentlemen>, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch", my middle class English brain said: "Pipe hitting? Pliers? Blow torch? = plumbers". Of course any self respecting L.A. drug baron would know a gang of criminal plumbers who would have everything they needed to torture a redneck; blow-torches, pliers, hammers, drain snakes, everything, makes perfect sense, don't think about it anymore, keep watching the movie. Thanks for that, brain.

Marcellus Wallace posted:

I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' n***ers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a drat sight. I'ma get medieval on your rear end.

Easy mistake to make, plumbers are famous for going mediaeval.