Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Why oak leaves though? Do oaks even grow in Palestine?

e: the national tree is the olive, is it not?

bad news about the olive trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the u.s.'s (public) aims are coming into view, thx to kamala's visit with sisi & subsequent announcement:

quote:

Washington will not allow for the forced relocations of Palestinians or any redrawing of the current border of the Gaza Strip, US Vice President Kamala Harris said in a meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

"Under no circumstances will the United States permit the forced relocation of Palestinians from Gaza or the West Bank, the besiegement of Gaza, or the redrawing of the borders of Gaza," Harris explained, according to a statement from the vice president's office.

During their meeting, Harris and Sisi discussed "ideas for post-conflict planning in Gaza including efforts on reconstruction, security, and governance," the statement said.

"She (Harris) emphasized that these efforts can only succeed if they are pursued in the context of a clear political horizon for the Palestinian people towards a state of their own led by a revitalized Palestinian Authority and have significant support from the international community and the countries of the region."

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
they're still trying to build japan in the middle east but they keep getting disappointed over and over again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

this is already happening, probably no matter what happens on the ground next

id argue Ukraine is still a net benefit for the US empire, but not for "the west" or the EU in general. I think the goal was to drive a wedge between Russia and Europe in anticipation of the bipolar world with China that is arising. They know they can;t be top dog for much longer and its better to have the EU remain firmly in the US' court than have it be left to chance. The wedge has been driven, very literally in the case of the pipeline the US blew up.

WoodrowSkillson has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Dec 2, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

the u.s.'s (public) aims are coming into view, thx to kamala's visit with sisi & subsequent announcement:

that's a good joke, considering nothing has been done about the ongoing illegal settling in the West Bank

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

"nothing will fundamentally change"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

If America is going to continue giving stuff to Israel with no conditions then how are they supposed to enforce those aims? Lmfao

This administration either explicitly supports the forced removal of the palestinians, or theyre so loving stupid they think they can maybe just talk netanyahu out of it while handing him the bombs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctaMurk posted:

If America is going to continue giving stuff to Israel with no conditions then how are they supposed to enforce those aims? Lmfao

This administration either explicitly supports the forced removal of the palestinians, or theyre so loving stupid they think they can maybe just talk netanyahu out of it while handing him the bombs

President Biden and congress fully support everything Israel is doing with no reservations and anything they say to the contrary is just for domestic consumption by people that get their news from legacy media.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Bibi: gently caress you, I do what I want!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL israel is trying to sell their negotiated release of prisoners as a military achievement, what a bunch of loving losers

============

Israeli Defense Minister: Recovering 110 of the kidnapped is an achievement that no army in the world has achieved

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1731008957139890569?s=20

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY NEGOTIATED WITH THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS TERRORISTS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO MY AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISORS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISORS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Don't worry everyone, just gonna do a classic ol regime change, we will be greeted as liberators

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Finally - the hostages are speaking to the media!

....kind of. They're not actually being asked questions or saying what it was like in captivity. It's not an interview. Here's one of them in a video where she just says "I was a hostage, bring the rest of them home, bring them back, bring them home, do it now, please bring them back immediately" over and over until the end.

E: ok it doesn't actually loop that much but you get the point, she just says "bring them home please" a couple times and that's it.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1731022980631666975?t=XLM_MtOLXaKS7eeE9umW7Q&s=19

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Dec 2, 2023

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

Speaking of which, I don't know why the gently caress soldiers walk around outside with Class B uniforms on, I thought those are supposed to be for when you're in training/combat/at work? Why the hell are they so often wearing them on the bus or whatever

What happened to their Class As

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how the uniforms work

reserve troops only have the B uniform

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

this guy who seems to know stuff thinks israel is gonna lose and lays it out. i dunnno makes sense to me
https://twitter.com/MouinRabbani/status/1730814400578130169

I looked this fellow up and he seems to have worked exclusively for organizations funded by the likes of Soros or the ford foundation (a known CIA financing front).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any confirmation that the Amal Movement is joining the fight against Israel?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

And here's what's coming out the u.s.'s other side of the mouth (the quiet side):

U.S. Sends Israel 2,000-Pound Bunker Buster Bombs for Gaza War

quote:

The U.S. has provided Israel with large bunker buster bombs, among tens of thousands of other weapons and artillery shells, to help dislodge Hamas from Gaza, U.S. officials said.

The surge of arms, including roughly 15,000 bombs and 57,000 artillery shells, began shortly after the Oct. 7 attack and has continued in recent days, the officials said. The U.S. hasn’t previously disclosed the total number of weapons it sent to Israel nor the transfer of 100 BLU-109, 2,000-pound bunker buster bombs.

The airlift of hundreds of millions of dollars in munitions, primarily on C-17 military cargo planes flying from the U.S. to Tel Aviv, shows the diplomatic challenge facing the Biden administration. The U.S. is urging its top ally in the region to consider preventing large-scale civilian casualties while supplying many of the munitions deployed.

“I made clear that after a pause, it was imperative that Israel put in place clear protections for civilians, and for sustaining humanitarian assistance going forward,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in Dubai on Friday.

Some security analysts say the weapons transfers could undercut the administration’s pressure on Israel to protect civilians.

“It seems inconsistent with reported exhortations from Secretary Blinken and others to use smaller-diameter bombs,” said Brian Finucane, a senior adviser at the nonprofit International Crisis Group, and a former attorney-advisor at the State Department.

Unlike in Ukraine where the U.S. has published regular updates on some of the weapons it has provided to support Kyiv’s fight against the Russian invasion, Washington has disclosed little about how many and what types of weapons it has sent to Israel during the current conflict. U.S. officials say the lack of disclosure is a result partly of the fact that Israel’s weapons come through a different mechanism, including military sales. Israel also is one of the largest recipients of U.S. military aid, receiving $3.8 billion every year.

Israel resumed its offensive in Gaza on Friday after negotiations to extend a weeklong cease-fire broke down. Israeli officials have said repeatedly that they planned to resume the war at the end of the truce, which began on Nov. 24 with an agreement that freed dozens of hostages held by Hamas in Gaza in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

The arsenal of artillery, bombs and other weapons and military gear have been used by the U.S. in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia and Libya, among other places, usually to target large groups of gathered enemy forces. In Gaza, by contrast, Israel is battling militants who are among civilians in dense urban environments.

“They are kind of the weapons of choice for the fights we had in Afghanistan and Syria in open, nonurban areas,” said Mick Mulroy, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense and officer in the Marine Corps and C.I.A. “The U.S. may use them in more urban areas, but first it would do a lot of target analysis to make sure the attack was proportional and based on military necessity.”

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Defense didn’t respond to a request for comment on the weapons transfers. The White House National Security Council didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

More than 15,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, have been killed in Gaza since the war began, according to the authorities in the Hamas-controlled enclave. The number doesn’t distinguish between civilians and combatants. Hamas killed more than 1,200 Israelis, most of them civilians, during the Oct. 7 attack.

Among the munitions the U.S. has transferred to Israel are more than 5,000 Mk82 unguided or “dumb” bombs, more than 5,400 Mk84 2,000 pound warhead bombs, around 1,000 GBU-39 small diameter bombs, and approximately 3,000 JDAMs, which turn unguided bombs into guided “smart” bombs, according to an internal U.S. government list of the weapons described to The Wall Street Journal by U.S. officials.

The BLU-109 bunker buster carries a 2,000 pound warhead and is designed to penetrate a concrete shelter. The U.S. military also used the bombs in the Gulf war and the war in Afghanistan.

The U.S. has also sent Israel roughly 57,000 155mm artillery shells—a key munition the U.S. has also provided Ukraine since the 2022 Russian invasion—along with thousands of other artillery shells and various small arms.

Even before the war in Gaza began, 155mm artillery rounds were in such short supply that the U.S. has reached deep into its global stockpiles and turned to allies South Korea and Japan, among other countries, to provide more to Ukraine.

The U.N., humanitarian agencies, and Arab countries mediating negotiations between the two sides have called for a permanent cease-fire. The Biden administration has rejected calls for a long-term cease-fire and expressed support for Israel’s fight to ultimately uproot Hamas from power in Gaza.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

30.5 Days posted:

Israelis admit they're intentionally killing civilians but they're doing it to place pressure on Hamas so it's ok. apparently nobody noticed that that is the dictionary definition of terrorism.

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1730505366222393682?s=20

It's as if you can't tell what is happening inside or around a building just by looking at it. People look at images and video of war and mis-frame it (which is good in a way, war is becoming less and less of a norm globally). Civility has already broken down, that's why a war has broken out. The goal of war, as hellish as it is, is to completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight and to limit the casualties on your own side. It's not a game. You don't want to ensure a fair fight. So it's not dropping bombs indiscriminately on civilians, which in this video would look like the onlookers running away being pulverized. But it is destroying the war machine of the other side -- which may include infrastructure, and horribly in this conflict, even civilian infrastructure -- until it grinds to a halt.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol, just read the orginal (which, to steal from molly ivins, probably sounded better in german)

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

brugroffil posted:

It's as if you can't tell what is happening inside or around a building just by looking at it. People look at images and video of war and mis-frame it (which is good in a way, war is becoming less and less of a norm globally). Civility has already broken down, that's why a war has broken out. The goal of war, as hellish as it is, is to completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight and to limit the casualties on your own side. It's not a game. You don't want to ensure a fair fight. So it's not dropping bombs indiscriminately on civilians, which in this video would look like the onlookers running away being pulverized. But it is destroying the war machine of the other side -- which may include infrastructure, and horribly in this conflict, even civilian infrastructure -- until it grinds to a halt.

Is this syq?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

brugroffil posted:

Syq

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Spaced God posted:

"these terrorists hate israel so much they're lighting themselves on fire to show their burning hatred" what loving ghouls

"It is tragic to see the hate and incitement toward Israel expressed in such a horrific way," she added.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Noobicide posted:

I'm embarrassed to have asked that, and in such an abrasive way too. Not kidding when I say I need some kind of reeducation camp. Just look at that kneejerk reaction. The propaganda does a number on us burgers. Sorry for the derail

One other way that has not been mentioned that Russia is better off is that it has 5 new oblasts/republics, which give it territorial control over it's naval base in Sevastopol and a land connection to it.

brugroffil posted:

OK Stephen Pinker.
Also I don't think apartments are really part of the Hamas war machine.
E: argh I am undone

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY NEGOTIATED WITH THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS TERRORISTS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO MY AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISORS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISORS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Israeli intelligence could not fathom that people who were under surveillance would use unsurveilled methods of communication to communicate

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any confirmation that the Amal Movement is joining the fight against Israel?

The Ostrogoths?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

come out ye blue and whites
with yer diapers full of shite
tell me all about them kids
you shot at nova

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The people of Israel love Likud and want to kiss it on the lips. Thus they are to be also dealt with in the final battle.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

possibly syq i know but i'd like to point out that this super calm hitler logic was not applied to Russia in its war against Ukraine.

Odd that.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Thoguh posted:

President Biden and congress fully support everything Israel is doing with no reservations and anything they say to the contrary is just for domestic consumption by people that get their news from legacy media.

Correct

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

possibly syq i know but i'd like to point out that this super calm hitler logic was not applied to Russia in its war against Ukraine.

Odd that.

It's very, very obvious, can't state this enough, that Russia has been pulling punches with Ukraine too.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

brugroffil posted:

:kstare:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
MSF says that Israel destroyed 5 of their cars in north gaza a couple weeks ago and also destroyed vehicles that had been sent to help them evacuate north gaza a half hour before the ceasefire went into effect. https://www.doctorswithoutborders.ca/msf-convoy-attacked-in-gaza-all-elements-point-to-the-responsibility-of-the-israeli-army/

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

30.5 Days posted:

MSF says that Israel destroyed 5 of their cars in north gaza a couple weeks ago and also destroyed vehicles that had been sent to help them evacuate north gaza a half hour before the ceasefire went into effect. https://www.doctorswithoutborders.ca/msf-convoy-attacked-in-gaza-all-elements-point-to-the-responsibility-of-the-israeli-army/

Wow I wish this mattered!

Oh well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The only part I don't get is why they used the timecube style sheet.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

WoodrowSkillson posted:

id argue Ukraine is still a net benefit for the US empire, but not for "the west" or the EU in general. I think the goal was to drive a wedge between Russia and Europe in anticipation of the bipolar world with China that is arising. They know they can;t be top dog for much longer and its better to have the EU remain firmly in the US' court than have it be left to chance. The wedge has been driven, very literally in the case of the pipeline the US blew up.

this does make sense

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

this is beyond parody

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Perhaps all of the attacks today were misfired Hamas rockets???

I'm so loving depressed by this poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1730742425868550184?s=20

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1730679534540763600?t=F7dBm01mLkn8fbP7rdwBbA&s=19

Their whole argument is that Hamas had to have committed rapes because everybody does

Now, there are quite a few problems with this, but the one I'd like to bring up is that the circumstances are pretty different - Hamas isn't/wasn't occupying the territory they long-term - this isn't 1944 France nor is it Custer's army

Of course, the rebuttal here is that Hamas is so cruel they were raping people even when there was still an active battle going on and they knew they would have to retreat, but it goes to show that they don't actually have a historical precedent to lean on despite insisting they do

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1730978267128049930?t=WuSasmPVCYJkQt4w-0xf1A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I can't believe the network that brought me such hits as 40 decapitated babies would lie yet again to me.