Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Seems legit, just got this email. Ordered mine May 19, 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I just received that email, too. Kind of would prefer if it arrived next year so I wouldn't have to pay further VAT (EU tax) on this thing. I just got hit hard by the taxes on the Pocket I received two days ago.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've seen some YouTube videos of people ripping their games on the polymega, which doesn't really tell me if it'll play the games correctly or not.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Azubah posted:

I've seen some YouTube videos of people ripping their games on the polymega, which doesn't really tell me if it'll play the games correctly or not.

Mostly, yes. So it basically downloads the rom from your disc or cartridge and then you play it off the box.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Azubah posted:

My understanding is they're using existing, licensed emulators and going so far as to retain the services of the Kega Fusion dev to make a 64-bit version of it for the Polymega. They are at the very least, doing the bare minimum over other similar devices that got slammed for ripping emulators without accreditation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My Pocket 2S is asking for a "feature password" to do a factory reset. Anyone know what I'm supposed to input?

e:did it via Android settings instead

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 2, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My Anbernic RG Arc-D arrived and i'm actually OK so far with Saturn emulation. Guardian Heroes and even Panzer Dragoon Zwei run perfectly fine so far. I've been wanting a device like this for years, so glad they made one.

Oddly, Genesis games seem to run at about 50% brightness which I haven't been able to figure out. Everything else seems fine. I tried turning overlays off in Retroarch but that didn't seem to fix it. I haven't been able to find a brightness setting anywhere either. Has anyone else run into this?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In the manual there's a setting to change brightness, like hold F and something?

Custom firmware is coming which will probably fix that too

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

frogbs posted:

My Anbernic RG Arc-D arrived and i'm actually OK so far with Saturn emulation. Guardian Heroes and even Panzer Dragoon Zwei run perfectly fine so far. I've been wanting a device like this for years, so glad they made one.

Oddly, Genesis games seem to run at about 50% brightness which I haven't been able to figure out. Everything else seems fine. I tried turning overlays off in Retroarch but that didn't seem to fix it. I haven't been able to find a brightness setting anywhere either. Has anyone else run into this?

how is Legend of Oasis?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

STONE COLD 64 posted:

how is Legend of Oasis?

I've never played it before, so I can't really compare, but in the opening area at least it seems like it's full-speed/60fps.

Edit: BUT, I just got to some areas in Guardian Heroes that seem to cause the system to hang. Dang! Not sure what is is about specific levels, but the emulator doesn't seem to like it. It was all fine up until that point!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 3, 2023

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Picked up a Mini Miyoo Plus on Black Friday, my first retro console. Installed Onion and a popular romset , and it’s amazing that I can have such a vast game library on something so small. I remember the olden days when my desktop PC would poo poo bricks trying to run a PSX emulator, and now I’m playing Wild Arms 2 perfectly on this cheap little thing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone have some thoughts on a device that would fit these two requirements:
- Video Out & Bluetooth controller support for some local multiplayer
- On the cheaper side, maybe up to N64/Gamecube at the top end?

This is for my nephews and I haven't once thought about video out/local multiplayer for myself so its kind of a blind spot.
E: I guess it doesn't have to be bt controller support cause I could always get a little hub for external controllers.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 3, 2023

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Does anyone have some thoughts on a device that would fit these two requirements:
- Video Out & Bluetooth controller support for some local multiplayer
- On the cheaper side, maybe up to N64/Gamecube at the top end?

This is for my nephews and I haven't once thought about video out/local multiplayer for myself so its kind of a blind spot.

Some crazy person/people have a community Google Sheet that should allow you to narrow it down. You can filter it to your heart's desire: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irg60f9qsZOkhp0cwOU7Cy4rJQeyusEUzTNQzhoTYTU/edit#gid=0

For GameCube, I think you're looking at the $100 for some games to be playable. Probably the Retroid Pocket 2S? If you're willing to drop the GameCube requirement, you get a lot more options.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

canyonero posted:

Some crazy person/people have a community Google Sheet that should allow you to narrow it down. You can filter it to your heart's desire: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irg60f9qsZOkhp0cwOU7Cy4rJQeyusEUzTNQzhoTYTU/edit#gid=0

For GameCube, I think you're looking at the $100 for some games to be playable. Probably the Retroid Pocket 2S? If you're willing to drop the GameCube requirement, you get a lot more options.

Daaaamn that is an impressive sheet haha.
Maybe the real answer, though, is to just clean up my Odin and give that to them since I barely use it alongside a SD and MM+.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Figured this out. For some reason a ‘Darken’ filter was applied in Retroarch out of the box. I had to find the ‘Remove filter’ option and disable it. Not sure why they would ship it like that!

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
I just bought a Retroid pocket 2s and it's a nice little device but man, if this is the most user friendly device to set up then the other ones must be pretty dire.

Is there a recommended setup for Dreamcast emulation? I was under the impression this would work well out of the box. Tried using Flycast but it was having weird glitching in Ecco the Dolphin. Redream worked until it didn't, so I tried Flycast again with Vulkan rendering and that seems to perform better but I'm having some minor texture warping now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jesus Kristov posted:

I just bought a Retroid pocket 2s and it's a nice little device but man, if this is the most user friendly device to set up then the other ones must be pretty dire.

Is there a recommended setup for Dreamcast emulation? I was under the impression this would work well out of the box. Tried using Flycast but it was having weird glitching in Ecco the Dolphin. Redream worked until it didn't, so I tried Flycast again with Vulkan rendering and that seems to perform better but I'm having some minor texture warping now.

Oh hell no, the Android setup is a headache. You really need to follow some extensive guide like Retro Game Corps and have to deal with additional Android thingies getting in the way until you figure out how to disable them.

Here's also some suggested Redream settings.

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Stop liking anime you little shits. I didn't die on the cross for you to do that.
Nice, thanks for that. Yeah, if it wasn't for the Retro Game Corps I think this thing would be sitting in it's box in a drawer already. As it is, I'm shocked at how well it handles PS1 and Saturn emulation once you link all the bits together. Took like two days to set up but now I can hit a button and be playing Tomb Raider or Panzer Dragoon. Wild!

...when does the madness kick in and make me order like five different devices?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
As soon as your broke brain goes “hmm a bigger screen would be nice” or “I really like the form factor of that one…”

Do yourself a favor and just check out of the whole hobby once you’re happy with your device.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CFox posted:

As soon as your broke brain goes “hmm a bigger screen would be nice” or “I really like the form factor of that one…”

Do yourself a favor and just check out of the whole hobby once you’re happy with your device.

Yeahhhh honestly I still love following these cause they make my childhood brain go “ooooohhh!!” But now that I got the RP2S and a Deck I’m probably done spending money until the Deck 2.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Getting new devices is the hobby

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Buying stuff you’ll spend 20manhours on getting to work and aesthetically pleasing only put it on a shelf and do it all over again.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Collecting video games (or video game paraphernalia) is a separate hobby from playing video games. Understanding that can help you find peace.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just think they're neat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah, there’s all sorts of different ways to enjoy retro stuff.

I personally like building stuff. My current goal is to get it so my saves will sync between a console style retrogame box and my retroid flip. Will I actually ever finish a star ocean or super robot wars title? Lmao.

I just bought a $150 APU that I’m going to install lakka or batocera on and that’s gonna replace my pi4. Gonna try Lakka first since I’ve been around retroarch’s stuff I kinda know which way towards victory. More than likely I’ll settled on batocera.

They’re both Linux. Android is sorta like Linux. I know Linux. This is when I start crying.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Tiny Timbs posted:

Getting new devices is the hobby

does anyone itt have a nano on their keychain?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Anyone find a good soft case for the analogue pocket? I can’t find my hard case and it got me thinking about getting a soft one to take it places. I think the cat knocked it behind the entertainment center.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

otter posted:

Anyone find a good soft case for the analogue pocket? I can’t find my hard case and it got me thinking about getting a soft one to take it places. I think the cat knocked it behind the entertainment center.

I got this Waterfield one in waxed canvas. The inside is very soft, it shuts close with magnets, and the zipper pouch carries a few cartridges. I feel like I can toss it in a bag and it'll be comfy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Mine's not the greatest recommendation but it's what I had on hand. The Club Nintendo 3DS drawstring pouch.

Jesus Kristov
May 2, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

I got this Waterfield one in waxed canvas. The inside is very soft, it shuts close with magnets, and the zipper pouch carries a few cartridges. I feel like I can toss it in a bag and it'll be comfy.

Sure you could buy that, or you could just buy the original

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hang on a sec i got something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hot pink gameboy fanny pack or bust

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
in awe of these gamer pouches

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I straight up just use this one as a purse

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flavor.flv posted:

I straight up just use this one as a purse

Hot

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

This. My wife would never have anything that cool.

everyone posted:

Get a gameboy DMG-01 case because they are nearly identical in size

Yeah, I realized that while taking my kid through the Burger King drive thru.
I do like the magnetic closure over a zipper which can scratch the pocket.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

I got one of these too, and boy is it nicely made.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

hot pink gameboy fanny pack or bust

You have to do the Deck fitting test.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Russ' retro handheld recap for 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrPCeFXv1s

Of course the Odin 2, Retroid Flip, RP2S, and RG Arc come out on top. Russ still likes the X55 as the top sub-$100 option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Russ still likes the X55 as the top sub-$100 option.

That was a runner up/honourable mention? His top pick was the RGB30.