Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Has Moffat ever written a horror movie because he nails his horror stories on Who every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's definitely riffing on Midnight but also distinct enough that it doesn't feel like trying to remake the episode. There's something very Chat-GPT about the creatures, at least until they get actually good at mimicking the Doctor and Donna. Things like forgetting that the tie one of them removed is supposed to exists after it's been taken off, or being badgered into believing the superstition about salt.

Having not watched Flux I figured people talking about half the universe being destroyed were just being slightly uncharitable (he deserves it though) to Chibnall, and lmao that that's actually a thing he did and just never followed up on? Christ, what a trainwreck. Good on RTD for bothering to go back and actually wring some story out of that, then.

The initial cut where the imposter beasts first come into play was really odd, going from Tennant standing over the orange cabinet to peering through the blue shelves, and I went back and rewatched it because it felt like I had missed something, but then of course you learn a couple minutes later it's purposely disorienting and jarring. That, plus the scene last week with the laser blasts bouncing harmlessly off the car turning out to be a plot point, makes this feel like a show that actively rewards paying attention, is not afraid to mess with a viewer's expectation, and basically is not designed to be CGI wallpaper like some eras that I could mention.

I was going to say last week that if Star Beast was the floor for this era we're in for a treat, and even if it was the ceiling it's at least better than anything we've had for the past few years. But if Wild Blue Yonder is the ceiling we're in for a helluva ride.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Has Moffat ever written a horror movie because he nails his horror stories on Who every time.

Are you referencing the latest episode? It was written by Davies.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The body horror of them getting big was genuinely pretty creepy. It reminded me of glitches in a game when a character will go all out of proportion which has always unsettled me for some reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

imagine tweeting this and not comparing it to Futurama's "ax" thing

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Annabel Pee posted:

The body horror of them getting big was genuinely pretty creepy. It reminded me of glitches in a game when a character will go all out of proportion which has always unsettled me for some reason.

The bit that truly made me wince was the momentary instance of not-Donna trying to work out how many joints there were supposed to be in her leg. Argh.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Are you referencing the latest episode? It was written by Davies.

Sorry yah, Davies.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I definitely got a Moffat vibe at first as well, though; however I think Moffat's scary stuff tends to be the very familiar and RTD's tends towards the mysterious and unknowable.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Rochallor posted:

The initial cut where the imposter beasts first come into play was really odd, going from Tennant standing over the orange cabinet to peering through the blue shelves, and I went back and rewatched it because it felt like I had missed something, but then of course you learn a couple minutes later it's purposely disorienting and jarring.

Yeah that was fun to process. Went from initially just thinking the editing was a bit weird to wondering about doppelgangers or time fuckery until "my arms are too long" sealed it

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
In the behind the scenes RTD says he played with having the first doctor involved somehow since it's an anniversary ep but decided to just stick closer to the episode's main idea, which is probably for the best

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Rochallor posted:

The initial cut where the imposter beasts first come into play was really odd, going from Tennant standing over the orange cabinet to peering through the blue shelves, and I went back and rewatched it because it felt like I had missed something, but then of course you learn a couple minutes later it's purposely disorienting and jarring. That, plus the scene last week with the laser blasts bouncing harmlessly off the car turning out to be a plot point, makes this feel like a show that actively rewards paying attention, is not afraid to mess with a viewer's expectation, and basically is not designed to be CGI wallpaper like some eras that I could mention.

I thought that cut was masterfully done and a great example of editing telling the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zohar posted:

In the behind the scenes RTD says he played with having the first doctor involved somehow since it's an anniversary ep but decided to just stick closer to the episode's main idea, which is probably for the best

I wouldn't be shocked if they pull out a bit of reshot material from the original Toymaker story using NPH and Bradley next week in a flashback

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I'm so good to have good Doctor Who again. Legit might show this to my friends as an example of what this show can do

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RTD has done it again, in a good way. Really good episode.

Also i liked that to make the computer fast you pull out the slimy cards from a drawer and put them in the other drawer.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
That scene in the hallway where Fourteen loses in and starts screaming while hitting the wall... it's rare to see the Doctor THAT angry, and that's a scene that'll stick with me.

There were more moments that will stick with me in the past two episodes than in all of Chibnall's run.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

RTD has done it again, in a good way. Really good episode.

Also i liked that to make the computer fast you pull out the slimy cards from a drawer and put them in the other drawer.

Isolinear chips but icky

lines
Aug 18, 2013

In retrospect, I don't know why Chibnall was SO crap at the job. I really wanted to like his stuff - I was still going into Flux going "trust in the Chibnall plan"! But ultimately he just didn't have the juice, did he? Moffat more or less did - I mean not that there aren't criticisms there, obviously there are, as there are with RTD - but Chibnall was really, genuinely A Bit Crap, wasn't he? Sad really - seems like a nice guy!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still can't quite believe that after this next special there's an actual series not long after. we don't have to wait for years

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I'll mirror a few other people and say that after finding last week's episode was pretty good I thought this one was excellent. Interesting premise and well executed, with some nice character moments to tie it all together.

The biggest shock for me in watching these last two episodes is in seeing how high the budget for the show is now. Granted the CGI is TV-level stuff, but it's still a big step-up in scale. Though I'm glad that the green screen for the main corridor in this episode was supplemented with practical sets everywhere else.

I had no clue that Cribbins had filmed stuff for these, so it was a great surprise to seem him in-person at the end.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

marktheando posted:

I still can't quite believe that after this next special there's an actual series not long after. we don't have to wait for years

AND a Christmas special basically in the same run?! We are feasting!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never bothered to finish Flux, can someone give a quick summary of whatever the newest episode references before I watch it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
from the sudden burst of pages I see I have missed an episode premiere I thought was happening tomorrow for some reason!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never bothered to finish Flux, can someone give a quick summary of whatever the newest episode references before I watch it?

The Doctor's adopted mum unleashes an evil antimatter space cloud and escapes to the next universe over because this one is full of people who believe in the Doctor, which is rubbish. Half the universe is destroyed. Nobody visibly has any real feelings about this. There's also a guy who is a snake for some reason?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Really good episode. Thumbs up. The special effects look off, but that kind of body horror twisting is so hard to do even when you have all the money in the world that I think they did a really good job on Doctor Who's budget.

If anything the biggest problem with Wild Blue Yonder is that it's "just" a really good episode of the show and not something extra special for a special event like it was intended to be. But if that's the worst thing about an episode of Doctor Who then it's still in the top 5% of stories.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A bunch of the universe got messed up by the flux which was an evil timelord thing to gently caress up the universe and then the Doctor stopped it from growing but nothing got undone.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I skipped out on Chibnall’s run halfway through series 11, but the thing I gather most about it was “events happen, no one really responds to them in a meaningful way, and it just kinda ends”. Also Chibnall tried to crowbar in his revised Cartmel Master Plan that he’s had in his head since 1989, but it was a train wreck, but also somehow impressively boring?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

lines posted:

In retrospect, I don't know why Chibnall was SO crap at the job. I really wanted to like his stuff - I was still going into Flux going "trust in the Chibnall plan"! But ultimately he just didn't have the juice, did he? Moffat more or less did - I mean not that there aren't criticisms there, obviously there are, as there are with RTD - but Chibnall was really, genuinely A Bit Crap, wasn't he? Sad really - seems like a nice guy!

Chibnall was a fanboy of Doctor Who, and not in a good way. He liked the aesthetics of Doctor Who and The Doctor, but didn't truly understand the character or what made The Doctor tick. But just like a fanboy, he really wanted to put his mark on the canon of Doctor Who, so he gave us The Doctor's mysterious backstory with "The Timeless Child". That was not well received.

Moffat wrote really good plots and twists, even if he tended too hard towards "mystery box" writing that was never solved. RTD wrote really great characters and gave them fleshed out motivations and quirks, even if his plots are sometimes thin and have messy endings. Chibnall had... pretty cinematography. The companions were there just for plot exposition and The Doctor was always right because "she's supposed to be the moral compass, right?"

I know it's over four hours long, but Jay Exci's breakdown of the Chibnall era explains everything in great detail.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Might be a very stupid question about a silly joke but was the Mavity joke supposed to be they interrupted him coming up with the world and now everyone thinks it’s always been called Mavity? In that case why did the doctor remember Gravity and Donna only remembered mavity? I’m definitely over thinking it.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Annabel Pee posted:

Might be a very stupid question about a silly joke but was the Mavity joke supposed to be they interrupted him coming up with the world and now everyone thinks it’s always been called Mavity? In that case why did the doctor remember Gravity and Donna only remembered mavity? I’m definitely over thinking it.

Time Lords are immune to timeline changes or something like that?

My question is, is that an Amstrad CPC the Doctor's got in the beginning?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

Time Lord, resistant to changes in the flow of time, innit. (That was the joke.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

That scene in the hallway where Fourteen loses in and starts screaming while hitting the wall... it's rare to see the Doctor THAT angry, and that's a scene that'll stick with me.

There were more moments that will stick with me in the past two episodes than in all of Chibnall's run.

Yeah, that scene made me go "Oh right, Tennant can act"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
welcome BACK guy who can actually WRITE

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Big fan of the Doctor's Parker impression, m'lady.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

And boy is he writing right now, goddamn!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gaz-L posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they pull out a bit of reshot material from the original Toymaker story using NPH and Bradley next week in a flashback

There’s a very very tiny part of me wondering if there’s any truth to these missing episode rumours, and next weeks episode is going to nonchalantly drop in a clip from a missing Toymaker episode.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah that kicked rear end, a lot of kids are going to have hosed up dreams for a bit.

Truly bizarre to watch this show with an actual budget, especially since I've been rewatching the first season(2005).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaroff posted:

There’s a very very tiny part of me wondering if there’s any truth to these missing episode rumours, and next weeks episode is going to nonchalantly drop in a clip from a missing Toymaker episode.

Turns out the reason behind the Disney deal was that once RTD signed the contract, they closed the vault door which was open showing a vast, empty room, then re-opened it and all the missing Doctor Who episodes were just.... sitting there.

Clouseau posted:

Truly bizarre to watch this show with an actual budget, especially since I've been rewatching the first season(2005).

Watching Unleashed they were showing some clips from RTD's first run and it kind of hit me for a loop that we were seeing stuff that was originally shot in Standard Definition.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Clouseau posted:

Yeah that kicked rear end, a lot of kids are going to have hosed up dreams for a bit.

I watched a clip from End of the World today and was like "Good lord, look how far we've come"

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i stopped watching doctor who right when Capaldi took over because i got tired of Moffat's writing - starting watching again when I heard RTD was back and i've loved it so far. i thought the first episode was just okay because i never really liked the Big Dumb Emotional End of the World thing from RTD but this one was much more my thing. they've got me back on board for Ncuti

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that wasn't dumb as hell. i'm guessing that never changed for him, but Capaldi seems like a good Doctor.

i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb so surely there's more nuance to why it was so bad

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Watched it, loved it.

- My only complaint was that the aliens started off really unsettling in their first scene, then immediately lost all of that scariness entirely by turning into instagram filter giants and chasing DoctorDonna down the main corridor. Luckily they regained their unsettling nature afterward.
- I hate that these specials are making me like Tennant
- Wilf :unsmith: