Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dropping Ethiopian birthrates prompted the Israeli government to investigate what was going on in the first place. This was obviously just cover for a poorly coordinated campaign to get rid of black people in Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Grip it and rip it posted:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/265548...an_tab_contents

yeah uh, I don't think Israel was undertaking a campaign of ethnic cleansing against ethiopian jews. Have yall read any of the reporting associated with that claim or just repeating stuff you've seen on this site?

quote:

In the first part of the article argues that the balance between choice and coercion and between passivity and activity on the part of Ethiopian women on this issue was far more subtle than has generally been depicted.

In the second part of the article, it is demonstrated that the rapid decline in fertility rates among Ethiopian Israeli women following their migration to Israel was not the result of the administration of this drug, but rather the product of urbanization, improved educational opportunities, a later age of marriage and commencement of childbirth and an earlier age of cessation of childbearing.

"The constant administering of a birth control drug did not reduce anyone's fertility rate, honest! And anyway it was kind of their own fault!"

I'm going to admit to some considerable and massive amounts of doubt over this particular study, especially considering that the author is Israeli. I don't have access to the rest, but just the abstract is wild.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
ah yes, the perfidious israeli and their deceptive academic papers. Their treachery knows no bounds.

Naturally you're disinclined to believe this paper because of all of the well researched materials you have stating the contrary conclusion??!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The guy appears to be one of the most prominent academics on Ethiopian Jews. If anything I'd think he would be more sensitive to detect wrongdoing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jesus loving Christ this thread was so much better when it was merely about Israel bombing the poo poo out of Palestinian civilians.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anyway this is really tangential to the current conflict. At least we established that y'all agree that Israel is a country that a) does exist and b) has a right to exist. It follows from there that they have an obligation to protect their population and makes a basis for looking at the operations in Gaza.

There was a good Lawfare episode this week on the IDF's tolérance for civilian casualties compared to the US and UK. It is much higher! I don't agree fully with the guy's assessment, the threat Israel faces is in a totally different ballpark from anything the US faced from ISIS. But, it's a very well structured analysis of the calculus of whether and how many civilian casualties might be a consequence of a particular action.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
There was that time the light skinned Israeli police officers were caught on camera beating the poo poo out of an Ethiopian IDF soldier.

The cops avoided any jail time and manage to get away with only a minor fine, apparently.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4938572,00.html

Reminds me of a certain country :patriot:

knox_harrington posted:

Anyway this is really tangential to the current conflict. At least we established that y'all agree that Israel is a country that a) does exist and b) has a right to exist.

That’s like saying Nazi Germany has a right to exist

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 3, 2023

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

Anyway this is really tangential to the current conflict. At least we established that y'all agree that Israel is a country that a) does exist and b) has a right to exist. It follows from there that they have an obligation to protect their population and makes a basis for looking at the operations in Gaza.

No we don't. We sure as loving hell don't agree that Israel has an "inherent" right to exist. If Israel has a right to exist, than so does a hypothetical New Afrika carved out of the United States.

No country has a right to exist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ok, that's enough, the thread has gotten to the point where I can't be arsed to read it, so we're going back into dystopian mode.

For all the newcomers, here's a reminder of the subforum rules:

quote:

GIP is not a "FYAD Lite" -- This means that inline NSW images or racism will be punished; normal SA rules apply.
Do not violate OPSEC! -- If you see a post that you believes violates OPSEC please report it AND PM me.
Blanket Racism/Slur/Inclusion Rule-- I want GiP to be a place for everybody, and I want it to be inclusive of people and conducive to discussion. Slurs are ugly nouns used to define a group based on one or more of their inherent characteristics, that is characteristics that they cannot change. Slurs are not allowed here. I will punish you very, very hard for using slurs. Same goes for dog whistles. Bad faith posting and signalling are not hard to see through.
Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes -- Arguments will happen, but attacks on posters instead of their arguments are frowned upon. Partying on is optional. You cannot use this as a shield if you're not arguing in good faith. If you're just blatantly pissing people off and they respond accordingly, I'm likely going to push buttons on you and not them.
Shitposting in the Get Help Thread is forbidden -- Please do not cause trouble in a thread meant to be a resource for troubled goons.
The Current Events Thread is for current events -- Discussions and even heated debate will inevitably occur there and that's fine, but sustained discussions on politically-charged topics should go into a thread dedicated to that topic.
Mod Discretion Exists -- These rules are more like guidelines and I have zero patience for "I'm not touching you!" games where you cleverly rules-lawyer yourself a post that technically doesn't break any of these rules but it still goes against the spirit of them.
Don't Post Snuff - What constitutes snuff will come down to mod discretion but if the whole point of what you're posting is to show death then don't post it.

Further, as in the current event thread, the thread is for discussion of current events, not other posters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What, was there a Hamas command centre ITT or something FV?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/2/israel-pulls-mossad-negotiators-from-qatar-after-impasse-over-captives

I don't believe there was a mention of this yet, apparently Israel-Hamas negotiations have broken down for the time being, with both sides accusing the other of making impossible demands or changing the goalposts.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How about some, if it's a sincere statement, legitimately good news on the periphery of this conflict?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/02/politics/harris-cop28-israel-gaza/index.html

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That's actually great because I needed something to balance out Abandoned babies found decomposing in Gaza hospital weeks after it was evacuated :(

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
There's a Hamas command center in my butt. Do what you need to do.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/2/israel-pulls-mossad-negotiators-from-qatar-after-impasse-over-captives

I don't believe there was a mention of this yet, apparently Israel-Hamas negotiations have broken down for the time being, with both sides accusing the other of making impossible demands or changing the goalposts.

Okay, so, what is the Mossad? In what capacity or commission would they have served as negotiators in the linked Qatar talks?

Negotiation seems like a function traditionally served by foreign service / state department types.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Woodpile posted:

There's a Hamas command center in my butt. Do what you need to do.

:captainpop: I can't believe you've done this, I can't believe you've warcrimed Woodpile's butt.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, so, what is the Mossad? In what capacity or commission would they have served as negotiators in the linked Qatar talks?

Negotiation seems like a function traditionally served by foreign service / state department types.

Mossad does have a division for foreign relations which is one of the channels by which Israel communicates with countries with which it has no official diplomatic relations. In the past at least foreign dignitaries who were in Israel for secret talks and such were often housed in its HQ (they had like a whole floor dedicated to their accommodation). If I had to guess I'd say the negotiation team is comprised of people from a bunch of different organizations/departments. Mossad is unlikely to be the one finalizing the list of Palestinian prisoners to be released in a swap for instance, that seems much more like Shin Bet's realm.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 3, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

How about some, if it's a sincere statement, legitimately good news on the periphery of this conflict?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/02/politics/harris-cop28-israel-gaza/index.html

Well, at least the US is sharpening their rhetoric. But I feel like what's missing here is a consequence for Israel violating these US red lines.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

knox_harrington posted:

At least we established that y'all agree that Israel is a country that a) does exist and b) has a right to exist.

I disagree. Israel is an occupying force and a genocidal ethnostate, and should be forcibly dismantled! The violence visited upon the occupying force, of which the armed settlers are part of, is justified and 10/7 was justified too. Your response?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Luceid posted:

I disagree. Israel is an occupying force and a genocidal ethnostate, and should be forcibly dismantled! Your response?

Setting aside that this view is exactly why Israel behaves in such a belligerent way; regardless of whether you think it should be a country, Israel does exist and has rights for protecting its population under international law. Given the attack Hamas recently made and their stated aims, it is easy to see why Israelis see calls for forcibly dismantling their country as calls for their genocide.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 3, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Luceid posted:

I disagree. Israel is an occupying force and a genocidal ethnostate, and should be forcibly dismantled! The violence visited upon the occupying force, of which the armed settlers are part of, is justified and 10/7 was justified too. Your response?

To go back and review the last 4 pages because we just finished discussing this at length and don't need another 4 pages rehashing the same arguments.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Setting aside that this view is exactly why Israel behaves in such a belligerent way; if you don't understand what a "country" is it makes sense that you also can't understand what is and is not permissible for military forces to do in conflict.

Countries behaving in a manner such as Israel suck rear end, and I am unmoved by reference to some vague notion of statehood (or whatever) as a defense for their rabid dog behavior biting everyone in range, their politicians arguing for the use of starvation and epidemics against the Palestinian people, and so on.

The old adage sticks: if everyone you meet acts like an rear end in a top hat, you might be the rear end in a top hat. Israel cries that everyone hates them, while lashing out as the latest in a long line of violent colonial projects. How stinkin' odd!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

psydude posted:

To go back and review the last 4 pages because we just finished discussing this at length and don't need another 4 pages rehashing the same arguments.

I kindly disagree with the IDF defense crew here, you can turf me out of the thread if those are the rules but you don't get to say that we all agree when clearly we don't!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you think the Hamas actions were justified in full then you can't object to the Israelis killing civilians either.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Given this is a military subforum and military legitimacy depends on the concept of a nation, I think arguing that nations don't exist is going to be an uphill battle.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Israel is not even a legitimate state. Joe Biden is literally older than Israel.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

Israel is not even a legitimate state. Joe Biden is literally older than Israel.

If existing before Biden is the main criteria for legitimacy, then we can rule out Germany, all of the former USSR and eastern bloc, both Koreas, Iran, India, China, Cuba, Alaska, Hawaii, the United Nations ... the list can go on. I mean you could even throw France in there as well, although the whole fifth republic thing was more self-imposed.

psydude fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 3, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Shut the gently caress up Knox

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, at least the US is sharpening their rhetoric. But I feel like what's missing here is a consequence for Israel violating these US red lines.

I think the US has already communicated what that consequence is by their earlier abstention in the Security Council.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So, no consequence. Just a "signal"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Shut the gently caress up Knox

Great rebuttal

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reel your necks back in this ain't D&D or CSPAM, calls to genocide anyone are going to get your ability to post revoked.

Israel is wrong in what they are doing, so is Hamas, calling for the total destruction of Israel or the merciless grinding into the dirt of Palestinians is going to wind up with the person demanding it taking a long break.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Absolutely. And to be clear, I think what the IDF is doing is excessive and abhorrent.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Potato Salad posted:

Additionally, a recent Washington Post article had some additional background:

quote:

[CIA Director Burns'] role in the Israel-Gaza war is particularly prominent given Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s reliance on Mossad chief David Barnea.

“Barnea is the key Israeli person for these negotiations,” said Natan Sachs, an Israel scholar at the Brookings Institution, a think tank. “He’s the one authorized to speak on behalf of the prime minister.”

Far outside of Netanyahu’s circle of trust is Israel’s intelligence minister, Gila Gamliel, and foreign minister, Eli Cohen, observers say, making Burns’s meetings with his counterpart a focal point for dealmaking. “Secretary of State Antony Blinken would be the counterpart if the Israeli foreign minister held any sway in the cabinet, but he does not,” Sachs said.

So in part it's due to the ongoing dysfunction in Bibi's government, similar to how Trump ended up relying more and more on his inner circle for everything because of the ~+DEEP STATE+~.

The article was in relation to Biden sending CIA Director William Burns to Qatar as well to lead efforts to pressure the Israelis into a deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/28/cia-william-burns-israel-hamas-hostages/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Luceid posted:

If tbe state is dismantled, where should the citizens go?

Who gets the area?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I haven't been paying attention at all. How has Burns been as CIA director?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

I haven't been paying attention at all. How has Burns been as CIA director?

He was a career State employee- 32 years to include under secretary for Clinton. per wiki;

Wikipedia posted:

Burns served as ambassador to Jordan from 1998 to 2001, assistant secretary of state for Near East affairs from 2001 to 2005, ambassador to Russia from 2005 to 2008 and under secretary of state for political affairs from 2008 to 2011.[6]

So he's about the business and as professionally qualified as anybody ever put in charge of the Agency. He's a "symbolic" member of the cabinet, which either speaks well to his foreign policy experience and Biden's willingness to have a deep bench of careerists after the Trump years, or an indictment of the fact that post-911 we feel the foreign intelligence directorate is as vital to foreign policy as actual diplomacy.

Or both.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bloody ghost titty posted:

He was a career State employee- 32 years to include under secretary for Clinton. per wiki;

So he's about the business and as professionally qualified as anybody ever put in charge of the Agency. He's a "symbolic" member of the cabinet, which either speaks well to his foreign policy experience and Biden's willingness to have a deep bench of careerists after the Trump years, or an indictment of the fact that post-911 we feel the foreign intelligence directorate is as vital to foreign policy as actual diplomacy.

Or both.

I think it was a pretty big part of cold war diplomacy as well. I recall reading a retrospective analysis that one of the reasons why the US and USSR existed in an awkward peace for most of the cold war was that they were both aware of the "real" thinking and intentions of the other. We're seen that re-emerge here and also with Burns' commiques with the Russians during Prigozhin's aborted coup.

If anything, I think the post-9/11 era eroded that function with an emphasis on counter terrorism.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

If tbe state is dismantled, where should the citizens go?

Who gets the area?

They could live under any new nation state in the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Luceid posted:

I kindly disagree with the IDF defense crew here, you can turf me out of the thread if those are the rules but you don't get to say that we all agree when clearly we don't!

Ok, calling this thread the "IDF defense crew" clearly eradiates any credibility that you're here in good faith, so I'm just going to go ahead and tell you to gently caress off out of this thread and to never come back.

knox_harrington, you can gtfo too.