Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

Also, the physics of freighter is weird. If you fall of your freighter near a planet you'll fall all the way down to the planet's surface. Not a bug, just interesting.

It's less freighter and more space in general, which I learned after teleporting to a player base in another galaxy and also in outer space.

The base had no landing pad and was high enough to actually literally count as space, so calling my ship just gave an error message.

Since this was a "recommended" player base and I therefore would sooner or later (I don't play multiplayer) lose access to the teleporter, I was a bit frustrated. Then I remembered how space works in NMS and just walked off the edge.

After a long fall, I engaged my jetpack just before impact, and made a soft landing, then called my ship and saved. And suddenly, I had a whole new galaxy to explore!

Space in NMS is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I glitch-built my exocraft stations onto my freighter awhile back, and one of the occasionally-fun outcomes of that is "you don't take space vaccuum damage in the minotaur"

As long as you're careful about how you orient your freighter with a summon, you can absoutely skyfall not just onto planets, but other freighters and space stations too (the latter, unfortunately, has a big invisible wall on both sides of the entrance so you can't just waltz in, just hang around with your thumb up outside the door)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The only bit of Starfield i want in NMS is the ship builder... even if it's only for fighters i would love it to death.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just Another Lurker posted:

The only bit of Starfield i want in NMS is the ship builder... even if it's only for fighters i would love it to death.

I still think the way to do custom ship building in NMS is to have to buy or salvage ships, then scrap them to get one of the parts from them. Then build something like a "Ship Construction Bay" in your freighter which allows you to combine them into a whole ship. Maybe you get paints the same way, so to make a fully custom ship just the way you want it involves exploration to find ships with the right parts, and resource gathering to buy or repair them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I still think the way to do custom ship building in NMS is to have to buy or salvage ships, then scrap them to get one of the parts from them. Then build something like a "Ship Construction Bay" in your freighter which allows you to combine them into a whole ship. Maybe you get paints the same way, so to make a fully custom ship just the way you want it involves exploration to find ships with the right parts, and resource gathering to buy or repair them.

Would be very happy with that as well but they haven't gone near ship modding at all for some reason and i do not know why. :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's going to be a future update?

Frieghter talk: Am I right in that there are two types of derelict freighters. One that's destroyed and just kind of environmental storytelling, and one that's mostly intact that you can land on and explore? I've only found the destroyed type.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Maybe it's going to be a future update?

Frieghter talk: Am I right in that there are two types of derelict freighters. One that's destroyed and just kind of environmental storytelling, and one that's mostly intact that you can land on and explore? I've only found the destroyed type.

To find the second type you need to buy a doohicky from the junk trader on a Space Station. Then activate it and hit pulse drive. It'll spawn one in and you can begin the instance.

Just make sure you've got a lot of cold protection.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah right now I've just been going through the base building quests, I've finished overseer, scientist, farmer, and exocraft. Weaponsmith I'm waiting on loving vykeen daggers to progress. I've got about a 100 million credits and 15K nanites and just left the voice of freedom station. I'm probably going to start doing the water quests next.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Is there any way to get rid of this lovely screen filter on the top of the screen? I don't need to see things 30 feet infront of me separated in red/green/blue, it's killing my eyes

----

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 29, 2023

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Barreft posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this lovely screen filter on the top of the screen? I don't need to see things 30 feet infront of me separated in red/green/blue, it's killing my eyes

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but there should be options to turn off scanlines, vignettes and chromatic aberration (or whatever that lovely colour filter is called) in the graphics settings if I'm not mistaken.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

WereVolvo posted:

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but there should be options to turn off scanlines, vignettes and chromatic aberration (or whatever that lovely colour filter is called) in the graphics settings if I'm not mistaken.

It was in the Camera settings of all places. Thanks much for making me check all the options again

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

yea same, the ship builder is really the only fun part of starfield and even then its pretty janky because you cant design interiors and it just throws ladders etc around wherever

still its more than we get with nms. i dont even need full customization really i'd be happy just being able to change the color scheme! odd that its doable with freighters but not smaller ships.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'd love it if they copied the ship customization from Everspace 2, it's not as in depth as Starfield, but it let's you chose things like wings, cockpit and tails, plus you change the colour of your ship, its lights and your engine trail.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Earwicker posted:

odd that its doable with freighters but not smaller ships.

very curious!!!! what are they hiding

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is there ever a reason to install the upgrades you get from sentinal glass instead of just selling them?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Is there ever a reason to install the upgrades you get from sentinal glass instead of just selling them?

They might be better than the ones you already have installed

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever gotten anything as good as an S tier upgrade. Typically two very low bonuses. Are they able to take an upgrade categorey beyond three? Could I have 3 S tier on my scatter gun and 3 sentinel ones?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
They're like X-tiers, they usally roll low but can roll pretty high at something like a 1-in-20 rate. I usually wait until I have a bunch, then install literally all of them at once and scrap the bad ones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Soonmot posted:

pretty sure they take up unoccupied slots and be used above and beyond the usual 3 of a kind limit, they have their own limit (I think 3).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

finally finished the expedition. took me hours to find a creature with body temp over 60

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

got lucky on exotic creatures tho. warped to 4 systems in a row that, at random, had exotics

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

for me it was the hostile planet i couldn't find, eventually just gave up and found the portal address of one

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hi I'm mentally ill

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Only an A rank? :pathetic:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

considering it's just a jpeg and a dollar value, i wish they would extend the garbage crafting trees until can build a $4.whatever billion dollar item and then load my ships with them, or make them useful to construct some multi-billion dollar base item so i can build a base consisting of them.

Being a space billionaire is cool, but you know what would be 1000 times cooler? being a space trillionaire.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just picked up the game, after some very high intensity soulslikes and metroidvanias I thought I'd like some more chill busywork / collecting / exploration and possibly some co-op as well, since a lot of my friends have the game.

I've been reading some starting tips but here's one about co-op: is it more or less a host join thing or do everyone get shared progress? If I invite someone over, can they keep materials they collect etc. or quest advance?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I've been reading some starting tips but here's one about co-op: is it more or less a host join thing or do everyone get shared progress? If I invite someone over, can they keep materials they collect etc. or quest advance?

Host join thing, quests, missions, and resources collected/crafted are tracked by the client AFAIK. The exception is Nexus missions, and Derelict Freighters, which have shared progress.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So I just got my first freighter and a few questions: I understand that if I want to use it as mobile storage, I need to install a special upgrade? Which I don't have the materials for, I assume I have to loot other derelict freighters?

And another one: I tried the base building in the freighter and all I could do were endless maze like corridors. Do I need another upgrade for it to build a simple, large open room?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting freighters have hyperdrives. Mostly, I just summon them to wherever I go. That's mobile storage enough for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TeaJay posted:

So I just got my first freighter and a few questions: I understand that if I want to use it as mobile storage, I need to install a special upgrade? Which I don't have the materials for, I assume I have to loot other derelict freighters?

And another one: I tried the base building in the freighter and all I could do were endless maze like corridors. Do I need another upgrade for it to build a simple, large open room?

1. Yes, you'll want the storage teleportation module to be able to make proper use of remote storage. You can unlock it via a console on the freighter; the currency for it can come from several sources but I think the fastest way nowadays is fishing for mission rewards? Someone can sanity check me on that, I haven't had to do those since "shooting your own freighter" was the meta

2. If you're building rooms instead of corridors, most of them should connect to each other to allow for large but flat 1 story rooms. If all you have is corridors, check the same upgrade console on your freighter as 1-- there should be options for blueprints for more rooms using the same currency as above. I think the plain-rear end rooms are all "expansion rooms" of various themes.

If you're looking for wide open 2+ story arboretum-style stuff, people create things that appear to be that with tricks that involve just making the outside look like it's inside-- walls around an empty space with "internal" doors that are really external airlocks, supplemented with decorations and usually at least some glitch building.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I keep forgetting freighters have hyperdrives. Mostly, I just summon them to wherever I go. That's mobile storage enough for me.

Wait you can summon freighter?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hopper posted:

Wait you can summon freighter?

You can summon freighter to your location in space or even if you're on a planet, but it has to have the correct drive type. By default only normal stars. And distance or galaxy summoned to doesn't matter.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Currently the game abstracts away a lot of the traveling that would need to be done by things you own that you aren’t actively using. Your active spaceship follows you around like a puppy even though I’m hopping through teleporters in stations. Your freighter can be summoned to your system. Probably ground vehicles too but I don’t use those.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Devor posted:

Currently the game abstracts away a lot of the traveling that would need to be done by things you own that you aren’t actively using. Your active spaceship follows you around like a puppy even though I’m hopping through teleporters in stations. Your freighter can be summoned to your system. Probably ground vehicles too but I don’t use those.

Ground vehicles need either a freighter upgrade or an exo-station or specific station of their type on the planet you are currently on. Further, the mech is absolutely worthwhile and changes everything about how fun being on the ground is.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I was hoping they'd do another Expedition throwback, any possibility of that or similar community events this month?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Ground vehicles need either a freighter upgrade or an exo-station or specific station of their type on the planet you are currently on. Further, the mech is absolutely worthwhile and changes everything about how fun being on the ground is.

The only good use for the mech is to give it an AI brain and summon it into combat :black101:

Otherwise I just use the fast little skimmer thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I was hoping they'd do another Expedition throwback, any possibility of that or similar community events this month?

I'd put money on it just because they've done it every year prior, but I haven't heard anything official yet-- HG tends to drop stuff with 24 hours of lead time max, and given their birth in the flames of overhyping and underdelivering I can't really blame them for sticking to the polar opposite

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Some wild new poo poo coming to NMS, like a three second clip in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPgdHZn3hs0

And the NEW GAME HG has been working on, Light No Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQem4Z6ioQ

With a massive procedurally generated "Earth" for multiplayer purposes. Very No Man's Sky in a nice way.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1732979907314225593

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Some wild new poo poo coming to NMS, like a three second clip in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPgdHZn3hs0

Ooh, new stations and a new ship type(?)