Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Watching Unleashed they were showing some clips from RTD's first run and it kind of hit me for a loop that we were seeing stuff that was originally shot in Standard Definition.

Man, I remember when it was a Big Deal when Doctor Who went high def with Planet of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i've only seen criticisms that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!"

The “criticisms” you saw were all right-wing culture war horseshit. The actual problem is that the show just became dull, wasted a good Doctor(s), and then tried to course-correct at the end by introducing incredibly stupid concepts that made no sense.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hefty Leftist posted:

i stopped watching doctor who right when Capaldi took over because i got tired of Moffat's writing - starting watching again when I heard RTD was back and i've loved it so far. i thought the first episode was just okay because i never really liked the Big Dumb Emotional End of the World thing from RTD but this one was much more my thing. they've got me back on board for Ncuti

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i've only seen criticisms that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!"

Moffat's run with Capaldi is super hit or miss, but Capaldi is able to outshine most of the problems with the writing. Chibnall was just so bad at it that Jodie never got the chance to shine as brightly as Capaldi (although I love her a bunch despite how bad her scripts often were)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
edit: ^^ Yeah Capaldi also just helped carry through the dumb parts of his seasons. And I think the batting average overall is higher across the three.

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that weren't dumb as hell. i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb

Speaking for myself I fell off in late Smith and came back for Capaldi and I think it's a very good run of episodes. And his last season has Bill, who is an absolute kick rear end companion.

I just found the Whittaker episodes I saw as a real slog and I never liked any of Chibs stuff to that point so I stopped there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that wasn't dumb as hell. i'm guessing that never changed for him, but Capaldi seems like a good Doctor.

i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb so surely there's more nuance to why it was so bad

Actually, End Stage Moffat was really good imo. S9 and S10 with Capaldi was a high mark for the series, and made the quality drop all the more apparent when Chibnall took over.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Loved the episode. I love, weird, high concept Doctor Who and this was great.

I wish the Doctor choosing the wrong Donna had been dwelt on for a second longer as I'm surprised Donna shrugged that off so easily.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hefty Leftist posted:

i stopped watching doctor who right when Capaldi took over because i got tired of Moffat's writing - starting watching again when I heard RTD was back and i've loved it so far. i thought the first episode was just okay because i never really liked the Big Dumb Emotional End of the World thing from RTD but this one was much more my thing. they've got me back on board for Ncuti

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that wasn't dumb as hell. i'm guessing that never changed for him, but Capaldi seems like a good Doctor.

i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb so surely there's more nuance to why it was so bad

The first Chibnall season is fine. I appreciated the attempt to go back to straightforward monster of week stories after the Moffat era went all in on overcomplicated metaplot nonsese. Then Chibnall brought that back too.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 3, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

High Warlord Zog posted:

The first Chibnall seasons is fine. I appreciated the attempt to go back to straightforward monster of week stories after the Moffat era went all in on overcomplicated metaplot nonsese. Then Chibnall brought that back too.

But even those monster of the week episodes are, in my opinion, incredibly weak with a single exception. Any good ideas the episodes have are squandered by a rubbish execution.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chibnall couldn't write a plot to save his life. He couldn't maintain consistent characterization from scene to scene, let alone across the series. His show was basically "big" moments and action scenes with no meaning or weight behind them. As much as we rightfully complained about RTD's tendency to go so absurdly big that the threat lost all meaning, it was often in service to bringing out character moments. Chibnall just kept throwing things around and none of it made sense. Even less so than Doctor Who usually does.

Oh god, I just remembered the guardian angel alien dogs that everyone on earth has that never were around before who just got blown up and no one cares and they didn't really matter.

Clouseau posted:

Speaking for myself I fell off in late Smith and came back for Capaldi and I think it's a very good run of episodes. And his last season has Bill, who is an absolute kick rear end companion.

The last Moffat season was his second best. And when he was on he was really on; Heaven Sent is a good contender for best Who story ever. But there were some rough patches to get there...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hefty Leftist posted:

Chibnall being more inclusive and casting a woman Doctor and plenty of people of color in his episodes was one of the good things he did. He absolutely had his heart in the right place and it's one of the highlights of his run. What made his run bad was how bland and inconsequential most of his episodes somehow managed to be even when doing universe changing bullshit, how passive a character he made the Doctor (that's Doctor 101, they are NOT passive!) and he absolutely poo poo the bed with his hamfisted Timeless Child bullshit. Basically his run ended up being exactly what people feared it might be when he was first announced, based on the episodes of Who he'd written up to that point: shallow attempts to do what RTD and Moffatt did without really grasping what made those work.

There were still highlights in there, I really liked all the actors involved, and though sometimes the editing was weirdly off there was some great shot compositions/visual framing going on, but the whole run felt like a missed opportunity.

What RTD did in this episode in 30 seconds with 14 discussing the Flux was more than 13 got to do in six episodes and the 3 specials that followed it, and actually made it feel like something that had actually happened as opposed to Chibnall seemingly forgetting he had destroyed half the universe 8 seconds after doing it.

Edit: I was a big fan of the Moffat era all the way through, though it was clear by the end that he was reusing a lot of what was in his writers toolbox, and almost everything he's written post-Who suggests to me he's lost any sense of internal editing (and perhaps willingness to listen to an external editor too), but I think he wrapped up very strongly with his final season.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 3, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love the idea of getting back your classic beloved stars for a few very special episodes and so you take that opportunity to turn them into giant drippy monsters lol very good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaroff posted:

There’s a very very tiny part of me wondering if there’s any truth to these missing episode rumours, and next weeks episode is going to nonchalantly drop in a clip from a missing Toymaker episode.

They found one clip from a missing Toymaker episode, but it's that clip. [monkey's paw curls]

Jerusalem posted:

how passive a character he made the Doctor (that's Doctor 101, they are NOT passive!)

That was one of my legit fears when they cast Jodie Whittaker. Not because I thought the casting was wrong but because I was worried that the writer would be lovely and write a female Doctor as more passive.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Had another stupid smile on my face with the Mavity stuff

Then it got unsettling

Then Wilf turned up and oh there's the waterworks

Escobarbarian posted:

welcome BACK guy who can actually WRITE

As soon as I saw the water tubes, my mind went to Mars
Then they did the thing with the teeth

So yes, very Midnight meets The Waters of Mars

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chris Crap-all

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

But even those monster of the week episodes are, in my opinion, incredibly weak with a single exception. Any good ideas the episodes have are squandered by a rubbish execution.

The Women Who Fell to Earth and the The Tsuranga Conundrum are perfectly adequate runarounds. Rosa and Demons in the Punjab are solid if you can get past the simplified history. And It Takes You Away is fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chibnall did write a decent non-passive upfront female Doctor, unfortunately it was the one whose name wasn’t in the titles.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

WBY podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xeeHn5P1rE

BTS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVYsOGsJww

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
God that was good. Even the acknowledgement of Chinbbers' nonsense couldn't derail my enjoyment. Effects were dodgy at a few points but the crab-walking non-Donna looked very Raimi-esque so I assume they were working with it to their advantage.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:discourse:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I was literally thinking of this exact poster changed in this exact way during the episode. :golfclap:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Are the special effects “too good”? I like the episode and everyone is great and everything but it all felt a bit too Quantumania if you know what I mean.

Heh, Mavity.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Banger episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People are also noticing similarities between Wild Blue Yonder and Scherzo

Long corridor, strife between the protags, being replaced...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Jesus nothing happened for 40 minutes and then some stuff happened I suppose. Crap.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Absolute banger of an episode. Lots of stuff happening in it.

Can't wait for next week!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Chibnall did write a decent non-passive upfront female Doctor, unfortunately it was the one whose name wasn’t in the titles.

Just seeing the picture makes me want more. Imagine Chibnall writing something that elicits that response!

OK, so the Doctor's comment about superstition suggests that he may have allowed the Toymaker in by suggesting you can cross the salt after counting it. And RTD might be doing something interesting with the idea that there's a lot of "once-was universe" post-Flux that may now be "not-universe" spaces like where the Toymaker and the Master (not that one, the other one) and the Eternals come from.

But what I'm really thinking about is "Wild Blue Yonder." It's a war song. The TARDIS played it at both book-ends of this episode. Was the TARDIS declaring war on these particular not-things? Or more broadly even than that?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I don't know, this is the RTD who named The One With Kylie Minogue after a shameful incident about the world's complicity in genocide so I wouldn't put it past him that he just took to the phrase and nothing deeper than that. On the other hand, you could be right! That's the duality of our Rusty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

God I hope they bring her back

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Doctor Who Podcast: RTD says he based this episode off of Underworld, but he rattles off some classic episodes prior to saying that and includes The Timeless Child as the last on the list.

RTD trolling? Sure, but I bet he has specific plans for “The Doctor is from somewhere else”.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God I hope they bring her back
If there's one thing this episode proved it's that RTD is going to pick up and continue the story from where it was left. It doesn't matter if what aired is "bad," it's part of the story now and he's going to keep going.

I love that attitude, even if I did think the story choices were bad at the time. It's not like Doctor Who has never been poo poo before. But it just keeps going. (With one small exception from 1996.)

It also means that there's no reason to keep her from coming back, as long as the actor is interested. If RTD is going to grapple with the Timeless Child and the incomprehensible destruction in the Flux, he can bring back Jo Martin.

And yes, I've read these threads before: She's a pre-Hartnel incarnation, not one from between Troughton and Pertwee, Jerusalem! RTD is playing the hand he was dealt, and I admire that. We'll see if he tells a good story with it.

At the very least he can write a good episode. That was really good!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

RTD trolling? Sure, but I bet he has specific plans for “The Doctor is from somewhere else”.

The timeless child is who the War Doctor regenerated into.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

But what I'm really thinking about is "Wild Blue Yonder." It's a war song. The TARDIS played it at both book-ends of this episode. Was the TARDIS declaring war on these particular not-things? Or more broadly even than that?

We'll see, of course, but I was seeing it as a further example of what the Doctor mentioned when talking to the Others about how sometimes things can be both things at once: stupid and brilliant, a war song AND a "jolly" song", a superstition AND an actual thing, a name funny because it's unusual and also because it just IS funny etc.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
There was an infinite number of doctors between young John Hurt and Old John Hurt. Do you think he just aged? No, he regenerated millions of times and just happened on a face that looked like an older version of the first one by the end of the war.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
While this was a good episode, I feel like none of these 60th Anniversary episodes really feel like a 60th Anniversary episode, and just feel like episodes you could have any Doctor and companion in.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

While this was a good episode, I feel like none of these 60th Anniversary episodes really feel like a 60th Anniversary episode, and just feel like episodes you could have any Doctor and companion in.
Good. This show needs to be re-grounded right now, not some celebratory spectacle.

Sure, having David Tennant at all is kind of a spectacle, but these specials 'just' being regular high quality Doctor Who episodes is actually the best commemoration I can imagine. Not just looking back, but looking forward.

That said, multi Doctor stories are always a ton of fun and it's a shame we don't appear to be getting any of those.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Edward Mass posted:

That would be an interesting idea for some specials, some kind of deliberate Shada (mainly in that you have a 4/8 take on it) where you throw different Doctor+companion combos into the exact same episode and get wildly different outcomes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So is this the thread for the old Doctor Who episodes because I recently subscribed to Britbox to get the old Doctor Who series so I started watching the original Doctor Who season 1 and it was really decent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Oh wow that was just a good old fashioned run around some corridors episode of Who. Classic stuff done very well, with some nightmarish body horror...for the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
loved it to bits. that's loving doctor who. quintessential, even.

i do wonder how much of an impact a bomb is going to have on un-things. 'spect our two dopplegangers are still around, just even more annoyed.

the song 'wild blue yonder' has been playing in my head ever since the episode ended, so i've been mulling over the oddness of the song's emphasis here, like a bunch of you have. it may be one of those things that's going to click once we've seen the next couple of episodes.

i also think that "getting four hour-long doctor who episodes in a five week span" is the actual 60th anniversary, though i like that the episode falling on the correct day is the most purely doctor who episode in ages.