Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm always thrown off by what counts as the midwest. I think it always extends some distance west in my head, definitely as far as Montana and Wyoming at least.

The thing is, "midwest" is meant to mean more in the middle. Montana and Wyoming are just plain "west" by my reckoning. The midwest is away from the urban centers of the east coast, past the appalachian mountains that fences in the east and can't be easily built on top of, but not quite the vast expanses of emptiness that defines most of the western Great Plains.

The western boundary of the midwest is often up for grabs, but I feel like if you look at population density maps, there's a very sharp dropoff of population west of Minnesota, and I think that should be the dividing line. For a long while there was the steadily advancing frontier, but at some point people could just skip through all that and settle straight on the west coast instead.

But it's all flyover country if you're one of those people on the coast who mainly only ever wants to visit the other coast. Those are the major population centers of the country, and they've increasingly dominated pop culture in recent decades, reversing the previous trend from like the 50s to 80s where mass media made a lot of efforts to try appealing to less dense suburbs like what characterizes most of the midwest. I think the Simpsons was originally trying to copy that by being set in a small inland town, but as writers churned and the original media that the Simpsons was satirizing died out, the predominantly coastal (elites even) writers gave up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, come to think of it, I always thought the closest I'd ever been to the midwest was Denver (for a stopover) but upon reflection it's probably Chicago. The term just has some associations to a non-American that are somehow both broad and specific (purely rural areas that spread out over an impossibly massive area).

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I grew up in Missouri and I would consider that the poster state for the Midwest. It's the gateway to the west and such a mediocrity of a state that Springfield is actually one of it's notable cities. Missouri is mostly prairie though. Still the Simpsons reminds me of home.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Saw this on reddit the other day:

I grew up in IL and there was no question among anyone I knew that we were in "the midwest".

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"DERN RIGHT, ONE OF ER BEST 'PUBLICANS" :911: MT. RUSHMORE!!!!! :911:"

"CONSERVATION??? PROGRESSIVE POLICY??? FOOD AND DRUG?? (COVID)??? LEFTIST POLICIES????"

"GROOMING???!?! JUST LIKE SLEEPY JOE!!!!!! :argh:"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Toxic Mental posted:

"DERN RIGHT, ONE OF ER BEST 'PUBLICANS" :911: MT. RUSHMORE!!!!! :911:"

"CONSERVATION??? PROGRESSIVE POLICY??? FOOD AND DRUG?? (COVID)??? LEFTIST POLICIES????"

"GROOMING???!?! JUST LIKE SLEEPY JOE!!!!!! :argh:"

wtf are you talking about lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

oops wrong thread LOL

whatever, just enjoy the post. that's the lowest point in the simpsons for me

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

“I want to see more Teddy Roosevelt’s, and less Franklin Roosevelt’s!"

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Look at that fat oaf

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered another one of those “could be either option” things like “Have you ever seen a person say goodbye to a shoe?”:

In Season 4’s “Marge Gets a Job”, Homer says to blame every screw up on Tibor, “the guy who can’t speak English.”

Later, Smithers remarks that Tibor lost the keys to Marge’s new office. Did Smithers also lose them and knows to blame Tibor? Or did Homer tell Smithers that Tibor lost them?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

tibor lost them

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

tibor was a viking at losing keys

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I always assumed it was Homer (or somebody at the plant) blaming Tibor, but I'd never considered the alternate theory, and I like it. It's always good when both sides are about equally plausible.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I wonder if Tibor and Zutroy were friends.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I do enjoy that bit, cause it's just 2 quick aside comments and then the punchline-

Just in and out in the middle of other important scenes.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

just think, if it were modern Simpsons they would cut to some zany Borat type guy being upset that everyone was blaming him for losing keys

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

robot roll call posted:

just think, if it were modern Simpsons they would cut to some zany Borat type guy being upset that everyone was blaming him for losing keys

they would and you would be posting about it here

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wrong thread lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I'm surprised they haven't done an episode about Tibor's long lost daughter yet

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

oops wrong thread LOL

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I always read it that Smithers lost the keys and knows to blame Tibor.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

oh no it is happening again

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

First of May posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

emperor tibor

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

First of May posted:

Homer lost the keys and blamed Tibor when Smithers asked about it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I like how his entire article on the Simpsons wiki is this exact argument about the joke

quote:

Tibor Jankovsky works at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. He can't speak English. Homer and others blame many things on Tibor. Mr. Smithers had lost the key to a room, which had become Marge's office when she acquired a job at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, after the family had ran into some financial difficulty, and blamed it on Tibor. Mr. Smithers said "Tibor must have lost the key, but you can jimmy it open with a credit card". This story is debatable for a number of reasons, however, as one could believe Homer had lost the key and blamed it on Tibor to Mr. Smithers. Alternatively still: it could be that any one of the employees lost the key and blamed it on Tibor, as Homer says he regards it as something of a workplace commonality to blame Tibor when things go wrong. Whether or not many members of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant workforce blame Tibor for their own incompetence or if Homer blames Tibor and is too ashamed to admit to Marge he is alone in the matter is also a possibility. Alternatively the person responsible for the key loss could in fact be Tibor himself and as it happens the entire skit exists not as a joke but as a poor segment-to-segment segue. This is, however, an unlikely possibility.

also realizing that tiborposting might be an untapped goldmine for the simpsons meme thread

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

oops wrong thread LOL

The brotherhood of the spectacles or whatever was turbo-lame tbf.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dont blame me i voted for tibor

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Saw this on reddit the other day:

I grew up in IL and there was no question among anyone I knew that we were in "the midwest".

Lmao at the people in Oklahoma and Arkansas in denial they're part of the lovely south.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:geno: Oh no. Promotheus. :geno:” popped into my head and it got me to thinking just how great Jay Sherman’s student film is because of how it’s presented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcReu_d9h4o

None of the imagery in it is called out by name, something I could imagine someone in modern Simpsons would do, even if they were someone who wouldn’t be versed in classic films and pop culture (“What do Battleship Potemkin and The Seventh Seal have to do with being the last man on Earth, Jay?”). I don’t even think modern Simpsons would go that deep and old, tbh.

It’s a very classic Simpsons thing to do. Leave it up to the viewer to say, “I get that reference!” instead of holding the viewer’s hand and saying, “The Kool-Aid Man caused global thermonuclear war.”

Also, A Star is Burns is a classic Simpsons episode and Matt Groening was a freakin’ dweeb to have his name removed from the episode just because it was a crossover episode with The Critic.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Uhhhhhhh I had heard talk about Julie Kavner's voice, but I'm in a restaurant while tonight's new episode is on and oh my god is she on her deathbed?? :stonk:

Edit: for reference, I only noticed the show was on during the scene where Marge is drinking. Oh god it's dire

GaiaShell fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 4, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to hear what Patty and Selma sound like in the new episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even Nintendo semi-retired Mario's voice because actors don't last forever.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Chris Pratt's dead??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Chris Pratt's dead??

That's right, dead serious about going to Nintendo World!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bucksmash posted:

Uhhhhhhh I had heard talk about Julie Kavner's voice, but I'm in a restaurant while tonight's new episode is on and oh my god is she on her deathbed?? :stonk:

Edit: for reference, I only noticed the show was on during the scene where Marge is drinking. Oh god it's dire

lol wonder how bad they’ll let it get before they stop giving her lines or edit her scenes out, although I guess at this point there is no breaking point. Is there any equivalent on another show of an actor being unable to do a role anymore & it being obvious for years but they won’t leave and the show can’t make them? Guessing some soap opera must have had that problem.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

lol wonder how bad they’ll let it get before they stop giving her lines or edit her scenes out, although I guess at this point there is no breaking point. Is there any equivalent on another show of an actor being unable to do a role anymore & it being obvious for years but they won’t leave and the show can’t make them? Guessing some soap opera must have had that problem.

king kai's japanese voice actor was on deaths door for most of dragon ball super and they never replaced him despite him sounding dead and not emoting his voice at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, no way they swapped him because he can't do it anymore, he definitely can and does in his weird "we can't just fire Mario" job. They just got someone cheaper with a worse contract, who can initiate the Mario voice and do some extra work for way less. Nintendo probably also doesn't want its VAs having big notable names. they got lucky with Martinet just being a nice grandpa Mario. Idk the new Mario va name and I wouldn't be surprised if they just grabbed another next time or in a few games.