Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it is always possible that conservatives are planning a dictatorship and the opposition party is unable/unwilling to use their time in power to prevent it, but I wouldn't worry myself over that. Democrats can't win every presidential election for the rest of our lives, so if you're right that never losing is the Dems' only hope, then it's like worrying there's an asteroid on its way to hit earth. It's coming no matter how much or little I worry.

But I admit, I'm also kinda jaded having been around the block enough times to hear it every election: one team says the other team will become dictators if they win. Republicans said it about Obama, Democrats said it about W, Republicans said it about Clinton, Democratic-Republicans said it about Federalists. Adams is a monarchist who will crown himself king. Jefferson is an infidel who will ban the Bible. It's exciting the first time, but after several elections you start to see the manipulation for what it is and it becomes old hat.

lol, one side put forward legal arguments that states could ignore elections in naming a president, and when that didn't work they staged a coup, and now they're attempting to elect the coup leader who is calling his enemies vermin who need to be eliminated, but both sides bad so why bother choosing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

lol, one side put forward legal arguments that states could ignore elections in naming a president, and when that didn't work they staged a coup, and now they're attempting to elect the coup leader who is calling his enemies vermin who need to be eliminated, but both sides bad so why bother choosing?

I mean did you see that op-ed!? Same thing.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

There is a perfectly good chance that Trump becomes president, but there's basically zero chance that he or his merry band of chucklefucks suddenly become competent enough to undo the country.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dubar posted:

There is a perfectly good chance that Trump becomes president, but there's basically zero chance that he or his merry band of chucklefucks suddenly become competent enough to undo the country.

It doesn't take brainpower to break things. Rather the reverse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dubar posted:

"The United States will in some form continue to exist" is precious little comfort for the various already-vulnerable minority groups who get unpersoned and crushed in the interim should this come to pass.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

I did not say "both sides are bad so why bother choosing"

I was very specific that fears of Trump ending democracy and ushering in "a second/forever term" are...unlikely and gave my reasons why.

That is a very different conversation from whether Trump is a bad president or whether he tried to pull a Bush and steal a single election or whether Democrats are or are not just as bad etc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"The United States will in some form continue to exist" is precious little comfort for the various already-vulnerable minority groups who get unpersoned and crushed in the interim should this come to pass.

It's like when Politifact made Obama's claim that Paul Ryan's plan "would end Medicare as we know it" the "Lie of the Year" because his plan would keep the Medicare name and just redo every aspect of how it works instead of abolishing it and starting a new program with a different name.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It doesn't take brainpower to break things. Rather the reverse.

It's very easy to destroy something especially when you don't care about the consequences

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Anyone watching the DeSantis/Newsom "debate"? I'd love the highlights.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

Anyone watching the DeSantis/Newsom "debate"? I'd love the highlights.

Two rear end in a top hat blowhards get up on stage and try to generate quippy soundbites while managing to never answer a single question.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Two rear end in a top hat blowhards get up on stage and try to generate quippy soundbites while managing to never answer a single question.

While going up against MNF just to really make sure no one watches it

E: TNF lol

Papercut fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 1, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I still don't know what Ron thought he was accomplishing by agreeing to this, I think he thought Newsom would back out of it for some dumb reason.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Papercut posted:

...Monday Night Football, on Thursday? I admit, sports reruns are probably more compelling and original than a partisan debate, but still.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Papercut posted:

E: TNF lol

Nah...Republicans stopped watching NFL football once all the uppity dudes started kneeling for the flag and hating the troops.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah...Republicans stopped watching NFL football once all the uppity dudes started kneeling for the flag and hating the troops.

I think they just said they would and kept watching anyway.

So how is the debate going?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mustang posted:

I still don't know what Ron thought he was accomplishing by agreeing to this, I think he thought Newsom would back out of it for some dumb reason.

Nobody is going to watch the debate, so the goal is to make clips for the base. Ron's still got an uphill battle to get usable clips that don't include one of his weird mannerisms, or highlight his hosed up boots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mustang posted:

What is Newsom accomplishing? I think they both want the exact same thing, tbh. To get some clips of them owning someone their supporters already completely loathe. Which is safe because those supporters won't care even slightly care what the other guy says, he's just an ideological strawman. In that sense, they could probably both benefit from this? At least a little.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Clarste posted:

What is Newsom accomplishing? I think they both want the exact same thing, tbh. To get some clips of them owning someone their supporters already completely loathe. Which is safe because those supporters won't care even slightly care what the other guy says, he's just an ideological strawman. In that sense, they could probably both benefit from this? At least a little.

I'd say Newsom boosted his profile a lot for 2028 while DeSantis as Newsom rightfully pointed out, is mere weeks away from bending the knee to Trump.

I think even if Newsom did considerably worse this wouldn't have helped DeSantis at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Clarste posted:

My favorite part of "viral" clips of a debate/podcast/conversation between people is when both sides show the exact same clip to their bubble, and both groups agree that their guy totally destroyed and ended the other guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think an empty podium vs DeSantis would still somehow end with him being destroyed and ended, except in the great state of Florida ofc

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think an empty podium vs DeSantis would still somehow end with him being destroyed and ended, except in the great state of Florida ofc

The Trump/DeSantis 2024 bumper stickers and God Bless our Governor flags have pretty much disappeared here in the heart of Red Rick Scott country.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Clarste posted:

because he has nothing to lose. he gets a boost going into 2028 and gets some good press and play the hero standing up to the chudlander of florida. plus desantis wanted this, he started this before the bottom fell out from under him. i suspect his plan was to make it a victory lap/practice against biden before he won the primary. Not a big fan of newsome and its a low bar debate but i thought he did pretty well. desantis could get a boost if trump wasnt around but he is and it didnt help that desantis wasnt great in the debate in general. alot of desantis support from chuds was conditional because he played the loyal lickspittle to trump and did hosed up poo poo they liked. the issue is he went for the king and missed and now he is traitorus extremes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Newsom sucks and doing this stunt won’t help him for 2028

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, there are probably too many good candidates, and (although I personally rate the state favorably) too many ways to say "California sucks," for Newsom to have any shot at the nomination in a competitive primary.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Newsom is a generic democrat and is the baseline to which others will be compared. Unfortunately some combo of Pritzker, Whitmer, and Beshear will be around to offer superior blue governor candidates.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I could see him as VP though

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I do not think the next president wants to add “making sure his drink isn’t poisoned” to his list of duties

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

whydirt posted:

Newsom sucks and doing this stunt won’t help him for 2028

I don't see how it hurts and to the extent that more people know his name outside of California I do think it helps

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Riptor posted:

I don't see how it hurts and to the extent that more people know his name outside of California I do think it helps

this. again i am not a giant fan of the guy i prefer Pritzker, Whitmer, and Beshear and probably shapiro. But i am perfectly fine with anyone kicking Ron's rear end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Newsom has name recognition and while leftists kind of hate him, they also hate all Democratic nominees. I think Gavin's got a shot as of this exact moment in time, but who knows what will happen in three years?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of desantis support from chuds was conditional because he played the loyal lickspittle to trump and did hosed up poo poo they liked. the issue is he went for the king and missed and now he is traitorus extremes.

You're right. DeSantis would have to go get arrested a bunch of times and call more people losers to even approach the idea of chipping away at the Trump cult.

Misunderstood posted:

Yeah, there are probably too many good candidates, and (although I personally rate the state favorably) too many ways to say "California sucks," for Newsom to have any shot at the nomination in a competitive primary.

hmm...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You're right. DeSantis would have to go get arrested a bunch of times and call more people losers to even approach the idea of chipping away at the Trump cult.

I know your joking(lol) but i think alot of it is because trump is very much a messiah to a bunch of gen x and Boomers who peaked in the 80s and he represents the last time they were truly happy, they were young and had jobs they liked or fun hobbies and the world "belonged to them". and now society moved on and things changed. I think you see a similar thing with younger chuds too who miss the 00s days of the internet. trump promises that to them though not in those exact words but trumps a tabula rasa of bullshit. Its how my uncle can believe all the qanon poo poo and various consipracy poo poo now. I think they NEED to believe it because if not, then they were wrong and they were wrong about alot and that maybe they were wrong about everything.
https://twitter.com/GrahamAllen_1/status/1731062224867692777

I think there are a decent amount of solid and good canidates and alot of Chaff. we will see.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Riptor posted:

Also outside of Trump, and maybe Mitch, DeSantis is probably the #1 current political bad guy for Democrats. Newsom probably would have liked to get his kicks in before Ron's total implosion, but being the guy who publicly beat DeSantis is good feather to put in your hat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

Furthermore it's probably better than literally anything else he does with his time.

Every minute on Fox News squabbling with another who-cares governor is a minute he isn't asking cops to please beat up more homeless people for fouling the view on his drive to work.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So what is Vivek’s endgame here?

He doesn’t have the same constraints as the other candidates since as I understand it he is basically a self funded campaign and is a billionaire.

As long as he is not indulging in expensive ad buys he can continue his campaign right up until Trump (or anyone else) clinches the nomination.

But why? He is not going to win. He is not going to be the VP pick, no way Trump puts a loudmouth attention whore who is as much of an ambitious narcissistic egomaniac as himself on the ticket and one where the campaign stickers will have to have “Ramaswamy” printed on them.

If the guy is trying to boost profile to become a new conservative media darling a la Joe Rogan or Ben Shapiro, he has probably already done as much in this area as he can with this campaign.

Is he even doing rallies and public events, or just media appearances? I think I read an article from around the first debate where he makes himself available to anyone who will put a camera and mic in front of him, and does a lot of stuff from his home studio where he can be piped in to an interview anywhere.

Does he continue right up until he has a pitiful showing in Iowa and New Hampshire then quits?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's absolutely to start his own media empire, but dropping out before Iowa would be giving away the game

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zwabu posted:

So what is Vivek’s endgame here?

He doesn’t have the same constraints as the other candidates since as I understand it he is basically a self funded campaign and is a billionaire.

As long as he is not indulging in expensive ad buys he can continue his campaign right up until Trump (or anyone else) clinches the nomination.

But why? He is not going to win. He is not going to be the VP pick, no way Trump puts a loudmouth attention whore who is as much of an ambitious narcissistic egomaniac as himself on the ticket and one where the campaign stickers will have to have “Ramaswamy” printed on them.

If the guy is trying to boost profile to become a new conservative media darling a la Joe Rogan or Ben Shapiro, he has probably already done as much in this area as he can with this campaign.

Is he even doing rallies and public events, or just media appearances? I think I read an article from around the first debate where he makes himself available to anyone who will put a camera and mic in front of him, and does a lot of stuff from his home studio where he can be piped in to an interview anywhere.

Does he continue right up until he has a pitiful showing in Iowa and New Hampshire then quits?

I think it is mainly a profile-boosting endeavor for a future in conservative/conspiracy* media, perhaps with additional vague intentions to run more seriously for some other office in the future, and while I agree he's already done enough to accomplish that I think he's gotten addicted to the attention and will keep going as long as it's fun and he gets to be abusive in public without consequences.

*If there's even any light between them anymore.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[...] I think he's gotten addicted to the attention and will keep going as long as it's fun and he gets to be abusive in public without consequences.

It's an immortality moral story cliche, but sort of applies here: If you're a billionaire looking for novel experiences, running for POTUS even just to lose is probably pretty high on the novelty factor. And it's probably cheaper than trying to larp the Hostel movies or whatever it is other billionaires do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

loving crazy that the two most reasonable and palatable GOP candidates to my eyes are Nikki Haley and Chris loving Christie right now. It just keeps getting more weird with this party. I thought the 2016 and 2012 primaries were clown car poo poo shows but we can really see now how much the lunacy has penetrated the core of the party for what they need and who they must cater to in order to be elected to anything.

When assholes like Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney (plus Haley and Christie) are the grownups in the room making any kind of sense or behaving anything close to reasonable, we really have evidence of a continuing Overton Window shift that needs an entire foundational overhaul to move. I don't see how the constant doubling down and trying to out conservative the next person really ends anywhere other than 100% pure unadulterated fascism/authorianism, even assuming that we're not already there.

Which I think we mostly are and, sadly, I don't think we're going to stop it unless the dems can stop nominating candidates that aren't ones like Joe Biden. We all know it's a two party system, and I doubt that will change within my lifetime, but more and more we're looking at fascism and theocracy vs neoliberal centrism; and that center keeps moving right. People are so angry and frustrated right now that roughly 45% of the country sees no other alternative than a dictatorship and are living in a reality where Trump and the nonsense from RWM are fairly mainstream views. Do yourselves a favor and listen to just FIVE MINUTES of FOX or any radio talk show and try to imagine millions of people listening to that for 16b hours a day and NOTHING else. If one knows the history of how fascist dictatorships can take hold, and most of us here obviously do, America seems ripe for the picking right now.

The only inspiring candidates my party has run in my lifetime were Carter and Obama, not counting people I liked who lost the primary, and I don't see much on the bench that fires me up.

I truly don't see a way to unfuck this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Right Wing Media, the topic of your other thread, BiggerBoat, is in my view the primary reason behind the continuing rightward shift. Without it things would not only ratchet in one direction, the GOP would move back towards the center sometimes in response to a loss like in 2008, 2012, 2020 or 2022.