Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This research article was linked to me in the context of COVID causing car crashes, but gently caress if it doesn't actually say "Ban trucks, double gas prices"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ikanreed posted:

This research article was linked to me in the context of COVID causing car crashes, but gently caress if it doesn't actually say "Ban trucks, double gas prices"

I have a hard time believing they sufficiently accounted for other variables. Policy alone probably accounted for most of the increase in road deaths.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spiritual bypass posted:

yeah it's a weird choice to shoot, afaik, 2 different pistol ammunitions out of 3 different guns
It's not weird when you account for the fact that anything more potent than NIJ2A threats would penetrate.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Dec 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nomad2020 posted:

The cowards should have shot .223 or .308 at it.

Or even just handgun rounds designed for shooting at mildly armored targets.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bear arms (against white people) or wear chains. Good advice

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

yeah it's a weird choice to shoot, afaik, 2 different pistol ammunitions out of 3 different guns

It's not weird if your goal is impressing stupid people and the truck isn't bullet proof.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nomad2020 posted:

The cowards should have shot .223 or .308 at it.

Shoot it with a BAR lol

That thing ain't standing up to 30-06

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

rode my bike to the store today

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corona familiar posted:

every single bollard on the Valencia bike thing looks like it's been hit by a car or 30 lol

drat.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

the tires on my suv are 50psi and are real big

not anymore. I let all the air out of them

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the only good thing about the bike lane is that it stops right at Arizmendi's and you can get some good co-op pastry and pizza :yum:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Enjoyed this writer pointing out how insanely unobservant being in a car makes people.

Crossings: How Road Ecology Is Shaping the Future of Our Planet" by Ben Goldfarb posted:

"As volunteer road ecologists, we humans have one significant flaw: we’re imperceptive. The speed of cars both inflicts violence and conceals it. Behind the wheel you’re moving too fast, seated too high, and your field of vision is too restricted to notice any but the largest carcasses. Even trained biologists undercount. When Brazilian researchers scanned one highway from within a car, they spotted just twelve animals; retracing their route on foot, they registered more than two hundred, mostly frogs. You can’t study what you don’t notice."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dog Case posted:

It's safer to post with the flow of posts, even if it means posting over the posting limit

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2023/12/02/how-to-build-a-car-that-kills-people-cybertruck-edition

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Buying a 3 ton electric truck to go to Costco. The more I read about US suburbia the more I get confused.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I go to Costco in a hatchback with my wife

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How to build a car that kills people? Just build a car.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao at the idea of buying a cybertruck instead of a 911 :wtc:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A lot of people have already said this probably but I can’t get over how the cyber trucks design is just “gently caress yeah make the truck from aliens”

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HashtagGirlboss posted:

A lot of people have already said this probably but I can’t get over how the cyber trucks design is just “gently caress yeah make the truck from aliens”

edit:

Homeless Friend posted:

its the reddit truck. seen a whole lot of ppl flipping out about performance but its just an EV chassis with a reddit frame

the Never-leaves-homer

Grassy Knowles has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Dec 2, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

its the reddit truck. seen a whole lot of ppl flipping out about performance but its just an EV chassis with a reddit frame

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Runs over some people, then slowly scrapes a wall and completely stops working, check.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

omfg i forgot that game existed and think might've destroyed my eyesight as a child

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

from that article

the loving guy gives away the big reveal to his whole video jesus christ he sucks.

In case anyone feels like watching the video (spoiler: it sucks):

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1730326461469331929

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
so is it for track day drag races or going to costco?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

so is it for track day drag races or going to costco?

drag racing for the handicapped spot (no placard) in the costco lot

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mauser posted:

from that article

the loving guy gives away the big reveal to his whole video jesus christ he sucks.

In case anyone feels like watching the video (spoiler: it sucks):

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1730326461469331929

This seems relevant to my need to transport my laptop to my office and buy toilet paper on my way home.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

drag racing for the handicapped spot (no placard) in the costco lot

anyone who buys one has a mental handicap for sure 😂😂🤣🤣😂😭

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FirstnameLastname posted:

omfg i forgot that game existed and think might've destroyed my eyesight as a child

Same. I didn't realize it's basically the same game as BATTLEZONE, we had a tiny arcade cabinet of that at my last work and it was great until the springs in one of the joysticks broke.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

After a week of riding the foldy, getting back on my gravel was a big difference. The kilometers just flew by like nothing.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/universalhub/status/1730976713276797333

SUV goes around car stopped at crosswalk and creams pedestrian in recently road-dieted street. refuses to take responsibility for their actions. many such cases!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my inlaws never buckle up and drive with the alarm blaring until the 5 minute time out. they were recently told about how amazon sells dog leash tie-ons and its code for a loose belt buckle to bypass the alarm, with the plausible deniability of being a buckle with a loop to attach to your pets leash to restrain them.

they ordered a bunch of them and the loop for a leash is actually just a bottle opener on one end and the buckle on the other. they got other ones with american flags patterns on em, they say dont drink and drive and do not use all over them. the brand they got is called tikit.

tikits basic product has over 1000 sales this month, its competitors are doing comparably.
the review for this dog product are all like "i get in and out of my truck all day thanks!" with no mention of any dog related use.

boomers man

edit: i put 1000k instead of 1k whoops

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

yep. too much reddit leaking into the world: reddit war, reddit truck, reddit lingo, reddit food. don't like it. cant wait for the ipo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Homeless Friend posted:

lol it is. very succinct.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crossings by Ben Goldfarb posted:

Name an environmental problem, and it’s exacerbated by the access that roads provide and the incentives they create. Roads are stalking horses for despoliation, the foot with which civilization holds ajar nature’s door. Today edge habitats make up 70 percent of our planet’s forests; they are no longer sporadic disruptions but the landscape itself. We inhabit a world as angular and broken as a corn maze, all edge and no heart. “The best thing you could do for the Amazon,” the Brazilian scientist Eneas Salati once quipped, “is to bomb all the roads.”

Strongly agree buddy. But all roads.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I hate cars: best thing you could do for the planet is bomb all the roads

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

my inlaws never buckle up and drive with the alarm blaring until the 5 minute time out. they were recently told about how amazon sells dog leash tie-ons and its code for a loose belt buckle to bypass the alarm, with the plausible deniability of being a buckle with a loop to attach to your pets leash to restrain them.

they ordered a bunch of them and the loop for a leash is actually just a bottle opener on one end and the buckle on the other. they got other ones with american flags patterns on em, they say dont drink and drive and do not use all over them. the brand they got is called tikit.

tikits basic product has over 1000 sales this month, its competitors are doing comparably.
the review for this dog product are all like "i get in and out of my truck all day thanks!" with no mention of any dog related use.

boomers man

why, that's so stupid

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Real hurthling! posted:

boomers man

I can only laugh at car owners making a huge increase in their chances of death in a minor incident for the smallest of conveniences. I support their bodily autonomy.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its important to buckle up for safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

putting a seatbelt on my bicycle because I love to buckle up