Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay, i know the main villain of the episode is somerton but can we take a minute to appreciate the chutzpah from internet historian for plagiarizing an entire article published by a major internet content company, while also using the exact same hook (an hour by hour playbook) from said article and not expecting anyone to notice?? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Internet historian has always given me extremely bad vibes so I hope they take this chance to just go away.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

hbomb straight up executing like four people in his video

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Farg posted:

it rules that this dude got a notification that hbomb uploaded and at that exact second his career ended

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

As the resident grouch. I feel Hbomber's video seems to be denying a huge systemic problem in regards to harassment. However, It's at worse a necessarily evil to put Somerton's...what can very charitably described as inflaming this problem on the record. Will finish the rest tho.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Internet Historian put out a new video 10 minutes ago, and half the comments are asking if he stole the script.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
James is gonna slink away into oblivion and his Patreon is gonna implode but I’m more curious about how Internet Historian is gonna handle being in this.

I wonder if he’ll slide more explicitly to the right and make this a “woke YouTuber has a problem with me” or just ride it out. His channel is big/‘general interest funny’ enough that he prolly could, but he’s gonna get flamed for it in the short term

SunnyV2 survived being (minimally) named+shamed by Mr Beast and much more extensively criticized a bunch of much much smaller queer/left creators, but this is Hbomb

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 3, 2023

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Holy poo poo this dude really does hate women very very very much. Okay here's my guess: He's currently formulating a strategy by which he can credibly accuse hbomberguy of being a woman so his fans will feel more inclined to harass him into silence.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

James is gonna slink away into oblivion and his Patreon is gonna implode but I’m more curious about how Internet Historian is gonna handle being in this.

If I had to guess, he'll probably just ignore it and keep making videos for as long as the money is good. He already locked down all his socials ages ago, even stuff like his fan Reddit, and has basically zero online profile outside of posting videos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

2:43:36 into the Harry Brewis behemoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp3cB5fHXQ&t=9636s

Wow drat, women can't catch a break ya'll even got gay dude misogyny directed at you. But also heavy lol that the plagiarist couldn't tell the difference between people wanting to gently caress the actor playing a person and being interested in the actual real life criminal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

If I had to guess, he'll probably just ignore it and keep making videos for as long as the money is good. He already locked down all his socials ages ago, even stuff like his fan Reddit, and has basically zero online profile outside of posting videos.

Doesn’t he have a podcast?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Doesn’t he have a podcast?

Based on everything I know about the man: almost certainly.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Ok but for real, maybe YouTube could benefit from some kind of turnitin.com integration, at least put the hits in an area below the description of a video or something

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 3, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m pretty sure he has one with Wendigoon, who doesn’t plagiarize as far as anybody knows, but does make the most insipid, 9th grade essay-level content about cryptids I’ve ever seen in my life

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I only got an hourish in before I need to go to be here, but:
1. This Flip guy seems like he sucked and I'm glad he got banished to the shadow realm
2. The Cinemassacre stuff is depressing but at least seems to be an honest mistake on the part of Rolfe? He got to a point in his life where he needed to hand a lot of the responsibility of running the channel off and unfortunately chose a group of dipshits to do it.
3. Halfway through the Illuminaughtii section and this person seems really insufferable, like even as busy work background noise I don't know how you put this person on and listen for any length of time.
4. I see IH coming up in the next chapter, which is not surprising given their whole shtick is re-phrasing existing stories into a comedic framework and they pretty never site sources for anything. It's weird to say but I kind of subconsciously understood the cave video specifically had to be plagiarized because the only way you could do the sort of hour-by-hour breakdown of events that video does is either by spending a lot of time pulling together a ton of original research to linearly piece events together like that (unlikely), or just rip it from somebody else who's already done that.
5. There's going to be two more hours after this apparently all about one guy??? Harris dear god they're already dead!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress ME UP, HARRIS

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The CSI discovery was absolutely worth the wait posting a photo that, if you look real closely, proves you are ripping off someone who you just told you didn't rip off

Was not expecting Illuminaughtii to come out of this video looking like the bigger person, but that's saying about as little as you possibly can, given the circumstances

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

IH just dropped the next part of his 'Fancy' series.

Take a guess how the comment section is going (at least it's not locked :confuoot:)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

that episode of CSI where the police knock on the door and the horrible little criminal nerd with a room full of hard drives dual-wields electromagnets and runs around killing all the drives before the cops can break the door down

I want to see that scene because I'm hoping it's as good as dual hacking and unplugging the computer at the end as the solution.

I can't wait to see how AI will evolve how plagiarism is done in the future though.

https://twitter.com/DapsDraws/status/1725514124803621375?t=FTClTdCSM9MTMxjBjdDmwA&s=19

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's very funny that that Patreon post Somerton posted pretty much follows the playbook Hbomb identified at the start of the video.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure he has one with Wendigoon, who doesn’t plagiarize as far as anybody knows, but does make the most insipid, 9th grade essay-level content about cryptids I’ve ever seen in my life

He probably runs with a bit of wikipedia summarizing at times on some of his videos, but it seemed like that was all.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
All the queer creators (and a few not-queer) I follow are all subtweeting about being relieved this stuff is finally out in the open. This dude has been known :stare:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Landfill posted:

All the queer creators (and a few not-queer) I follow are all subtweeting about being relieved this stuff is finally out in the open. This dude has been known :stare:

Not really surprising, given the uh, scope of it

Finding out that you were plagarized by being a patreon of the person who plagarized you, and knowing there's exactly fuckall you can do about it, has got to be an incredibly spleen-detonating situation. That happening with enough people venting to their friends and there's going to be plenty of people who'll Unofficially Know about it even if nothing ever happens

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
RLM thread having a normal one:

Pac and Cheese posted:

he got such a high from outing that oof guy that he's a cutt-throat exposé life ruining journalist now. might it watch it tomorrow or something thanks

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who cares. This stuff has been covered by other people. Same thing with the Amiico and Tommy Tallarico. Other people covered it very well and then Hbomberguy kinda goes in and re-hashes it all and gets all the credit.

Barudak posted:

I skimmed the plagiarism video and lol Im not watching the four hour video equivalent of a "criticism" section on a wikipedia article for people Ive never heard of.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

anyone who watches this poo poo is mentally deranged and the world would be better off if said people were made wear a big sign that said “I’m a big poo poo brain”

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You watched a video I don't want to watch? MENTALLY DERANGED

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not really surprising, given the uh, scope of it

Finding out that you were plagarized by being a patreon of the person who plagarized you, and knowing there's exactly fuckall you can do about it, has got to be an incredibly spleen-detonating situation. That happening with enough people venting to their friends and there's going to be plenty of people who'll Unofficially Know about it even if nothing ever happens
perhaps if all these people came out, together, this guy could have been exposed earlier

nah better to bitch in our discords

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Are there other forms of derangement?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
there’s tromp derangement

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Great video, well worth the wait, excited to see what comes out of it.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

perhaps if all these people came out, together, this guy could have been exposed earlier

The fact this was a whole controversy already showed that some of them already did. It's not like all of these people were part of a collective Gaytube discord or something like that.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Even Lindsay Ellis managed to find some fun in the youtube comments.
Youtube is...healing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I like that a whole bunch of people, literally hundreds of thousands of them, mostly dudes, who signed on for takedowns of RWBY or Tommy Tallarico or videos about Deus Ex/Pathologic/Fallout and other nerd gamer poo poo are now being forced to care about the careers of gay academics and bloggers

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Even Lindsay Ellis managed to find some fun in the youtube comments.
Youtube is...healing?

It is not but enjoy this ephemeral triumph of righteous bloodsplatter while you can get it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

One of my favorite Youtubers released a video showing off a technique of visualizing movement in videos. Pretty neat and easy to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSS6yAMZF78

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, he actually called back to the Bachelor quote and managed to make it topical.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ok Comboomer posted:

RLM thread having a normal one:

Finally, the RLM thread knows what it's like to be this thread when quinton uploads a video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

baalaagaa posted:

That & a history of being a creepy sex pest.

anybody know what this is about?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

the video literally discusses people who got mobbed off the internet for talking about it

it's incredibly easy to co-opt internet rage if you're someone who's got an audience and willing to just outright lie about things and get your audience of hundreds of thousands of people to attack individuals or groups of individuals who have no meaningful platform to make themselves heard on

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

drat another L for Attack on Titan haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Finished it! I knew the heavy-handed moral lesson was coming, but it wasn't a big bummer like I was worried it would be. I also really liked that he recommended a bunch of good queer media analysts to offset the hours of trash talking lovely analysts. My one big criticism is that after a certain point he really didn't need to do a side-by-side comparison showing the specific article stolen from for the tenth time.

HOLY poo poo I can't believe that guy hasn't faced any huge consequences for all the stealing until now. It seems to me that he's really really good at making sure that when a creator does call him out for stealing from them, it never gains enough traction for people to take notice and start investigating his other stuff for fraud like what happened to Illuminaughi and that IGN guy. He ensures this by A) manipulating his audience into believing it was an honest mistake (and sometimes harassing the person who did the callout) and B) taking down videos as soon as they draw attention from the plagiarism victim and then putting them back up with that specific part removed once the heat dies down. If he put as much effort into making stuff as he does into tricking people into thinking he makes stuff, he would probably be equally successful and not currently watching his little empire crumble.

If I had to choose a favorite part of the video, it would have to be either The moment when the video footage of the Wikipedia page he was reading off of then clicked a link to go directly to the next Wikipedia page he immediately switched to reading off of or the Phoenix Wright bit where he literally posted a picture of his computer showing him in the process of copying footage directly from a video he claimed not to have seen at all. What an absolute dumbass.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 3, 2023